Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

So, Rogue Legacy

Anyone else playing it? It's rather good so far but I am surprised by just how difficult it is. Not that I expected it to be easy but it's really, really hard. Sometimes you have a dozen projectiles flying at you from five different angles. Health or mana potions are barely existent and gold income is not exactly steady either. It's good fun but the game makes it pretty clear that it hates you and wants you dead. Definitely more Ghosts'n'Goblins than Castlevania.
    I have only played about two hours so far and I didn't even have a chance to try out the miner.
    Old hat! A Steam curator page focusing on Immersive Sims WIP
    Antique! The Fall of Infinite Games 2014 - A handy release schedule for the dark season.
    Recently updated! Thrust Issues: A Marvelous Guide to Fencing in Dark Souls 2

to wound the autumnal city.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    I hammered the demo and it left me cold - in fairness to them, they do say the demo is lacking in a lot of things but that's just a crap way to promote your game surely?

It is hard - the proc. generation can often be meaner than mean too - some combinations are just nails-hard.

That there are enemies who can fire 'through walls' that you can neither attack through or pass is particularly gauling.

Overall, my feeling was that they'd made it too punishing and too hard - I felt like I was wasting my time - very few games have done that (in recent memory I can't even think of one).

I'm sure those who like it will bear it as a mark of honor (see also Dark Souls) but I think it's just a mixture of a lack of polish and poor design myself...

Shame - the overall idea is lovely but when you hack away the fripperies, it's a nails-hard Ghosts and Goblins game which is nowhere near as good as Ghosts and Goblins...

Secondary Hivemind Nexus pakoito's Avatar
    The final game is way more difficult than the beta, from what I've seen. The new chambers are meaner and class/perk variety makes your offspring have less safe possibilities.

I'm still in run&gun phase unlocking classes and stuff rather than trying to beat the game because that'd be impossible. Lvl 17 right now.

That there are enemies who can fire 'through walls' that you can neither attack through or pass is particularly gauling.
    Only the eyes can shoot through walls. Mages sometimes do it because their ice/fireballs are actuallycasted on the other side of the wall.
    Last edited by pakoito; 28-06-2013 at 03:11 AM.

Lesser Hivemind Node frightlever's Avatar
    Is it kinda like Infinity Blade where the idea is that to progress you have to die? I don't like platform games at the best of times (ever) but I do think the progeny idea is genius for a game like this.

Played a bit more and managed to beat the first boss. He's not too difficult once you get his pattern down. Now I hit a real brick wall. The next boss is in the forest but there's no shortcut so you have to traverse the whole castle part again with no more indication than "go to the right". Thanks to the random nature you more often than not end up in a dead end - with the emphasis on dead. Despite being level 33 the alleged level 3 monsters still kill me in 2-3 hits. In short, I've only even made it to the forest three times so far and the mobs there are are much, much worse than those in the castle. It's a nightmare.
    Antique! The Fall of Infinite Games 2014 - A handy release schedule for the dark season.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Lambchops's Avatar
    From my time with the demo (haven't had a chance to play the release version as yet) I initially though it was going to be too hard. I think they may put a few people off with the high initial difficulty (I know you're supposed to die quickly initially but I think they maybe could have done with a slightly more forgiving pre section) and it doesn't help that abilities that are fairly essential to survival (rather than just a handy help or a more powerful class) such as double jump and dash take a fair bit of time to unlock. Once they were there I felt like I was starting to make a bit more progress and start enjoying the game. I suspect that later levels will be beyond me but I'm certainly enjoying it enough to make it well worth the money.

So yeah, my advice would be if you are struggling with the demo initially keep going until you've unlocked double jump and dash (make these your first upgrades over equipment) and if you are still finding it too frustrating then the full game might not be for you.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Wolfenswan's Avatar
    Level 70-something and only beaten the first boss (with level ~50) and all sub-bosses in the tower.

I'm still unable to make any progress in the dungeon or get really far in the Maya but I should be able to beat the forest boss easily by now. Thing is, whenever I reach that gate unharmed I say to myself "I'll just check the next room for a chest" which usually results in me going down to 1/2 health or dying outright. And for reasons of greed I refuse to kill a boss with the architect paid...

I prefer playing with the Archmage (ideally getting the Scythes and Conflux or Fire), but the Lich can be a powerhouse and the Shinobi is great too (unfortunately his upgraded ability is useless).

The upgrade system could see some love though, especially the runes seem a bit too pricey for what they do. Another issue I have is the floor spikes hurting you when you walk into them sideways, one of the worst things a platformer can do.
    Last edited by Wolfenswan; 28-06-2013 at 01:46 PM.

The upgrade system could see some love though, especially the runes seem a bit too pricey for what they do.
    Rune prices grow up exponentially, the more runes you've unlocked the more they'll cost so you'd better not be buying all of them.

Lich with full blood armor must be really good, if I ever get a non-derpy Lich again.

My fave class is the Shinobi but he's not good against bosses at all. Thing is I almost never use items or spells so more often than not I die at full MP.

I've really been enjoying the game so far, but I'm early on as well. I had heard from the WIT that the downward strike was annoying and incredibly difficult to pull off, but haven't really had any issues with that at all.

I'm liking the variety in classes.. I was under the impression that there were only 3 classes for the entire game, so seeing the Shinobi, Miner, and other classes was a nice surprise.

Agree with everyone here though, get the double jump and dash immediately, it helps a ton with exploration and dodging damage.

Reading their easter eggs happens to be that I've played most of their past games. They're the genius behind "Don't Shit Your Pants" and "You only have 1 day".
    Last edited by pakoito; 28-06-2013 at 06:32 PM.

Played a bunch of this and I just can't deal with the difficulty. Having played almost no hard platformers in the vein of Ghouls and Ghosts and the only one I became any proficient in was Spelunky where I could bypass a lot of situations with cleverness or liberal bomb use. Even Dark Souls seems trivial to me compared to this game.
    Steam ID ; GFWL: alset85

Secondary Hivemind Nexus sabrage's Avatar
    Looks like there's a cap on how much health Lich can gain. Hokage are beasts.

The difficulty drives me into an endless loop of "one more run" but I can see how it might turn people off. Not having any trouble with the 360 controls.
    Last edited by sabrage; 28-06-2013 at 06:15 PM.

I find the controls a bit less responsive than I'd like them to be. The game looks beautiful though and I like the concept.

Obscure Node
    I'm playing it now, been playing it for a couple of hours. It's super hard which pretty much means the gameplay is going to end up being you going into a dungeon with the hopes of finding enough money to upgrade your dudes for the next life. Sadly, it is so fricken hard there will be times where you just go in there and get slaughtered before you even hit 100gold.
    I'm not particularly good at platformers of this type (that is, platformers with horrible 8 bit era controls) so if you're not quite good at that kind of stuff (spelunky, as an example) then just stay away from this game.
    Two hours in and I've yet to have aside from the first 25 minutes where I got unlocks and progress with relative frequency. Now I'm just running in there and getting nothing for my troubles.

Cool idea, just not for humans. This is for people who thought Dark Souls was for pansies.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    I've said it so many times now but this game is going to divide people into

a - players who love the fact it kicks them in the nuts and spits on their momma and defend it against any criticism
    b - everyone else who will probably regret the purchase in due course

I wanted to like it - I really did - but they've clearly decided to make a game for people who want a really really really hard time - and I cannot be bothered with developers who do that.

It wouldn't kill them to put in some difficulty settings to make it easier - the hardcore can still blather about how they did it the hard way etc. etc.

It also wouldn't have hurt them to play it on the 360 controller given that most of their customers will - and made it work properly

Hey ho - you never know, they may fix it around the same time it's 8p in a sale ;)

Quote Originally Posted by trjp View Post
    I've said it so many times now but this game is going to divide people into

a - players who love the fact it kicks them in the nuts and spits on their momma and defend it against any criticism
    b - everyone else who will probably regret the purchase in due course

I wanted to like it - I really did - but they've clearly decided to make a game for people who want a really really really hard time - and I cannot be bothered with developers who do that.

It wouldn't kill them to put in some difficulty settings to make it easier - the hardcore can still blather about how they did it the hard way etc. etc.

It also wouldn't have hurt them to play it on the 360 controller given that most of their customers will - and made it work properly

Hey ho - you never know, they may fix it around the same time it's 8p in a sale ;)
    There are actually in-game runes that change the difficulty around- grace runes make enemies weaker but give less gold, and there's another rune that I found that makes enemies tougher but give more gold. They should probably just make those runes free from the start. It's not like I want to spend a bunch of gold on making the game more/less difficult, anyway.

The difficulty is high, but I see that as part of the progression. You can't spend money until you die anyway. If you find you're dying really quickly, I would recommend playing as the barbarian. They have high health, and if mixed with a few good traits, it can make them great at survival. Add a few pieces of armor/runes, and you'll be able to clear the castle* (except for bosses) with not too much problem. Another thing about progression, if you only spend time clearing rooms with chests, you'll get that extra bag of 100 gold which helps a lot. I don't even bother with dead end rooms that have no chests, I just move on.

*Edit: Not the whole castle, just the "castle" themed bits. The forest, tower, and underworld will still annihilate you.

Tip for the first boss: gigantism! It makes you tall enough to hit him when you are standing on the ground, which gives you way more opportunities to actually do damage.

Okay, managed to defeat the forest boss. It's not unlike the Four Kings in Dark Souls as it is essentially a DPS race. I was able to beat him at level 52 using a hokage. I had a shot at the tower boss and while he doesn't seem any more difficult than the forest boss, I barely make a dent into his health pool at this point.
    I had a great run with a lich king and made about 6k, unlocked the dragon but in retrospective should have chosen the thing that allows you to randomize your children. At this point the randomization is really getting on my nerves. I don't even know the last time I saw a spelunker.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Lambchops's Avatar
    It might be harder than Dark Souls, I don't know because I never stuck with DS for long enough but there's much more of a sense of improvement/progression.

Dark Souls left me with the impression that I was stuck in the mire, not getting any better and utterly clueless about what I should be doing. This on the other hand, while difficult, has me feeling like I'm always making some sort of progress and keeps me having one more go.