Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast
    Lesser Hivemind Node Drinking with Skeletons's Avatar

Odd & Interesting Things You've Found in Skyrim (SPOILERS)

After some sleuthing on my part, I have learned something about a character in Skyrim that I haven't found referenced anywhere else, within the game and without. This made me realize that there are probably tons of other cool little things that I might have overlooked, from interesting locales to quirky people. Let's share what we've found.

Obviously, SPOILERS abound, but let's at least label them as General, Quest-Related, College of Winterhold, Companions, Thieves' Guild, and/or Dark Brotherhood so that each reader can exercise some degree of control over their exposure.

General: Sybille Stentor, Solitude's court wizard, is a vampire. I've found no indication that this is ever directly referenced by the game, but based on some incidental conversation and through the use of Detect Life/Dead, I'm confident in my diagnosis.

What have YOU found?

General: Was traveling on foot in the Southern region of Skyrim when I heard the sounds of distant battle. I investigated and came across all the Companions beating the crap out of two dragons. I'd been under the impression that the Companions never actually left their hall in Winterhold, and they were just the sorts of NPCs that everybody talks about being awesome without them doing anything in the game. It was cool seeing them live up to their reputation and be out adventuring. Unfortunately, even though I joined in the battle and delivered the killing arrow to one of the dragons, I didn't get to absorb either of their souls. Still a fun event.

Quote Originally Posted by Hensler View Post
    I'd been under the impression that the Companions never actually left their hall in Winterhold, and they were just the sorts of NPCs that everybody talks about being awesome without them doing anything in the game.
    When I first approached Whiterun right at the beginning of the game, there was a group of the Companions fighting a Giant by a farm. I joined in and it died pretty quickly. I assumed this was a scripted event to introduce the player to the Companions?

Quote Originally Posted by PeopleLikeFrank View Post
    When I first approached Whiterun right at the beginning of the game, there was a group of the Companions fighting a Giant by a farm. I joined in and it died pretty quickly. I assumed this was a scripted event to introduce the player to the Companions?
    Oh yeah, I forgot about that event. I've put A LOT of hours into Skyrim since then. But I'm pretty sure that was scripted, and the dragon battle I came across was random.

Quote Originally Posted by PeopleLikeFrank View Post
    Yes, that one's scripted, but they do wander around and have adventures on their own. Not sure if they can die.

Similarly, you can find Vigilants of Stendaar roaming around, and I've found them fighting vampires before. My money's on a DLC that makes them a joinable faction.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Berzee's Avatar
    Speaking of The Companions, when I went on the rescue-a-Gray-Mane quest, I had to run away from a snow bear near the Thalmor base...and it was actually catching me and probably going to eat me, when Farkas and co. come charging out of this random cave campsite and destroy the thing.

What were they doing all the way up there by Solitude? Upon inquiry, all they would tell me is, "We fight so that other people don't have to."

I've never seen the Companions out and about other than the scripted bit.

Which for all that it clearly was set-up for the player to find, when I first saw it and joined in I was finding it pretty awesome.

General: Can't remember where it is for the life of me other than next to some river, but I found a little house (I say house, one of those open shacks you don't need to go "inside" to enter) where the occupant is clearly meant to have been eaten by an animal. Partly because when you go in there're bones and blood all over the place, and partly because when I walked in I was attacked by a motherfucking bear. This was back in the days when if I bear swiped my face I couldn't give it a wry chuckle and slash it to death. Had to swim back across the river and pelt it from a distance. :D

Also, when first heading down to Riverwood I stopped and thieved some alchemy ingredients from an old biddy's house. Then the next day when I'm leaving the inn in Riverwood three goons attack me. When I've killed them I loot a note from one of them called "Contract". Turns out the old cow had hired them to do a number on me for stealing her fucking herbs! The wording of the note was that I needn't die, but the thugs didn't seem to much fancy that options. Dunno if this is the usual means of vengeance if you steal from somewhere that guards don't go or if she's a special case. Next time I was going past I was going to give her a going over, but it was about 3am and there she was... just sitting outside her house in a chair, looking creepy as hell. Decided I didn't want to mix it with her in case she turns out to be a proper psychopath.

Thieves Guild/General: After completion of the thieves guild I was (for the first time in all my wanderings) approached by a random thief, a Khajit, who wanted me to hand over some/all of my money. I initially told him to get bent but that didn't intimidate him so I was able to say I was one of the Nightingales, at which point he apologised and scarpered.
    Last edited by Ian; 29-11-2011 at 03:05 PM.
    A brave heart and a courteous tongue. They shall carry thee far through the jungle, manling.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Smashbox's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian View Post

General:

Also, when first heading down to Riverwood I stopped and thieved some alchemy ingredients from an old biddy's house. Then the next day when I'm leaving the inn in Riverwood three goons attack me. When I've killed them I loot a note from one of them called "Contract". Turns out the old cow had hired them to do a number on me for stealing her fucking herbs! The wording of the note was that I needn't die, but the thugs didn't seem to much fancy that options. Dunno if this is the usual means of vengeance if you steal from somewhere that guards don't go or if she's a special case. Next time I was going past I was going to give her a going over, but it was about 3am and there she was... just sitting outside her house in a chair, looking creepy as hell. Decided I didn't want to mix it with her in case she turns out to be a proper psychopath.
    Same thing happened to me, only I stole from the potion shoppe in Windhelm. I was attacked in Riverwood and those guys were Very Hard for some reason. Faendal jumped to my aid and was mercilessly cut down. When I returned to him, the shopkeeper didn't mention it. As soon as I complete his quest, he may die mysteriously in his sleep.

Network Hub
    The court wizard from Whiterun sent hired thugs after me. His attitude makes it easy to pretend its all in character, especially given how much everyone else likes you.

I looked around at all the guards surrounding us and decided his time was not nigh - but it may come soon...

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Drake Sigar's Avatar
    That's the great thing about NPC schedules, you know they have to sleep sometime.

Edit: Except the innkeepers who are androids.
    Last edited by Drake Sigar; 29-11-2011 at 05:04 PM.

Yeah, I'm not sure I really like the psychic NPCs who don't witness thefts but know exactly who did it and whose hired goons know exactly where you'll be.

General/College of Winterhold, maybe, I can't really remember: South-ish of Riften is a burned down house. Inside you'll find what's left of some sap who tried to summon a Flame Atronach. I think there might be an Atronach Forge recipe in there, too.

General: Also South-ish of Riften is a small cave in which there are a bunch of pissed off animals and empty cages. You'll find a dead mage with a Calm-enchanted staff that, apparently, didn't work too well.

General/Bard's College, I think: This might not always be pointed at for a Bard's College quest, but it was for two different characters of mine. Anyway, there's a cave in Winterhold called Hob's Fall Cave. Inside are necromancers. In one room, they use their unholy magicks to raise into nightmarish unlife a terrifying goat! Don't forget to harvest its immeasurably valuable, exceedingly rare hide should you somehow survive its wrath!

Quote Originally Posted by Drinking with Skeletons View Post
    Yeah, I'm not sure I really like the psychic NPCs who don't witness thefts but know exactly who did it and whose hired goons know exactly where you'll be.
    I felt like it made sense for me, as he watched me go upstairs in his house and then probably noticed his prized iforgetwhatitook was missing. And when I was ambushed, I had been sleeping at the inn for a while, so the goons probably tracked me and skulked around until I woke and came outside.

Quote Originally Posted by Smashbox View Post
    I felt like it made sense for me, as he watched me go upstairs in his house and then probably noticed his prized iforgetwhatitook was missing. And when I was ambushed, I had been sleeping at the inn for a while, so the goons probably tracked me and skulked around until I woke and came outside.
    I might forgive them if a mod is released that has Homer Simpson saying "Hired goons?" when said goons appear.

"Who's there?"

"Hiahd goons."

I had hired thugs sent after me for murdering one of the dark elves in Windhold by his sister, but never for stealing.

General: Can't remember where it is for the life of me other than next to some river, but I found a little house (I say house, one of those open shacks you don't need to go "inside" to enter) where the occupant is clearly meant to have been eaten by an animal. Partly because when you go in there're bones and blood all over the place, and partly because when I walked in I was attacked by a motherfucking bear. This was back in the days when if I bear swiped my face I couldn't give it a wry chuckle and slash it to death. Had to swim back across the river and pelt it from a distance. :D
    I found a shack like that near a Woodmill, but there was no bear in it - just a bunch of blood and skeleton bits everywhere, with a human heart on a shelf. The old lady at the mill just a few meters away had nothing to say about it. No idea what was going on there.

Edit: Also, I never saw the bit with the giant and the companions everyone's talking about. Must've walked right by.
    Last edited by JackShandy; 30-11-2011 at 06:05 AM.

Oh... well either it was a different one or there was a bear there by chance to add a little something to my experience of it. :D
    A brave heart and a courteous tongue. They shall carry thee far through the jungle, manling.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Vexing Vision's Avatar
    I recently stumbled on the Lighthouse between Dawnstar and Winterhold. It contained a locational quest that was the most chilling one I've seen yet.

Very nicely done, very detailed and I had never found it if I hadn't been in the area and in wild exploration mood.

This is what I love about Skyrim the most - exploration feels SO rewarding!
    NETWORKING 101 SIGNATURE INCOMING
    Playing games with each other makes for the best business contacts, so feel free to add me on LinkedIn.
    You should also follow me on Twitter.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Ravelle's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Drinking with Skeletons View Post
    Yes, that one's scripted, but they do wander around and have adventures on their own. Not sure if they can die.

Similarly, you can find Vigilants of Stendaar roaming around, and I've found them fighting vampires before. My money's on a DLC that makes them a joinable faction.
    What's funny is though, when you arrive after they killed it they accuse you of being no help at all and when you help them killing it they compliment you for standing your ground. :P

Quote Originally Posted by Vexing Vision View Post
    I recently stumbled on the Lighthouse between Dawnstar and Winterhold. It contained a locational quest that was the most chilling one I've seen yet.

Very nicely done, very detailed and I had never found it if I hadn't been in the area and in wild exploration mood.

This is what I love about Skyrim the most - exploration feels SO rewarding!
    There's also a perk to be gained if you fulfill the keeper's wishes.
    "A victory so bitter it would be better we had not won," --General Transh

The Devpit: For all your literature, gaming, IT and defenestration needs.