Secondary Hivemind Nexus pakoito's Avatar

EVO 2013 this weekend! Fighting Game World Cup ahoy!

Who else will be watching it?

“Evo” is short for “Evolution” — a yearly fighting game tournament held in Las Vegas that attracts players from all across the globe to compete for fame, glory, and a few thousand bucks or so. Evolution 2013 is composed of several sub-tournaments, one for each of nine games: Super Street Fighter IV: Arcade Edition ver. 2012, Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3, Injustice: Gods Among Us, Super Smash Bros. Melee, Street Fighter x Tekken ver. 2013, The King of Fighters XIII, Tekken Tag Tournament 2, Persona 4 Arena, and Mortal Kombat.

Evo comes at the end of the “Evo tournament season”, called the “Road to Evo”, which consists of a series of major tournaments across North America where well-performing players can earn the chance to be seeded in Evo brackets. A number of tournaments outside the United States are also included in the “Road to Evo International” tournament series.

But ultimately, this question can be summed up perfectly by Richard Li’s fantastic Evo 2012 video.
    The complete in-depth info here: http://shoryuken.com/2013/07/09/how-...viewers-guide/

How to watch everything? http://www.multitwitch.tv/srkevo1/srkevo2/srkevo3

And what's the schedule?

Network Hub
    I don't have the time to watch it live unfortunately, but I'll probably be checking out the highlights.

Finals are today, be sure to tune in!

Street Fighter AE 2012 top 8 - EG|PR Balrog vs. MCZ|Tokido, DM.MCZ|Xian vs. HORI|Sako; L: MCZ|Daigo vs. Infiltration, AVM|Gamerbee vs. Haitani

Marvel vs Capcom 3 top 8 - W: FS.EMP|Flocker vs. EG|Justin Wong, Angelic vs. Cloud805; L: coL|F. Champ vs. ATX|Zak, Ranmasama vs. AGE|NYChrisG

Injustice top 8 - W: AGE|NYChrisG vs. DJT, EGP.FLK|MF Slayer vs. VxG.EMP|KDZ; L: VxG.EMP|REO vs. EMPR|Theo, RDK|Godspeed vs. EG|PR Balrog

Smash Bros top 8 matches - W: Wobbles vs. Dr. PeePee, Hungrybox vs. CT.EMP|Mew2King; L: Shroomed vs. Armada, Mango vs. Ice

KOFXIII top 8 matches - W: CafeId|MadKOF vs. MCZ|Tokido, Woo vs. CafeId|Verna; L: AGE|Romance vs. AS|Reynald, Fox vs. DM.MCZ|Xian

Lesser Hivemind Node
    I got to watch some of it this weekend. The stuff I had the most fun with was Super Smash Brothers, by a long shot. SSFIV is always fun to watch, but I find I have tired of the showy nature of MvC3, since most of it is one player getting the same old practiced combos that go on for ages. I can imagine it's more interesting for those who play the game. I've just decided it's not a great spectator game for the uninitiated.

Smash Brothers, though! The level of talent involved is immense. HungryBox vs. Wobbles had me having to remind myself to breath. Not being at all familiar with the scene I was amazed at the character choices. Sheik, Fox, Marth, I knew those were good, but seeing Armada play an unstoppable Peach was such an eye-opener, and Wobbles Ice-Climbers was like a whole new game.

I didn't get to see any SFIV stuff, sadly, but I look forward to going back to the replays at leisure.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus gundato's Avatar
    Yeah, the MvC matches seemed to basically all be a race to an infinite combo. But that is how Capcom games work.

The Injustice matches were much more entertaining and were what fighting games are supposed to be. Control of the arena, spatial awareness, and the knowledge of multiple combos and how to deploy them.

If I want to watch a match be decided in one blow, I'll watch Dive Kick.
    Steam: Gundato
    PSN: Gundato
    If you want me on either service, I suggest PMing me here first to let me know who you are.

Quote Originally Posted by gundato View Post
    Yeah, the MvC matches seemed to basically all be a race to an infinite combo. But that is how Capcom games work.

The Injustice matches were much more entertaining and were what fighting games are supposed to be. Control of the arena, spatial awareness, and the knowledge of multiple combos and how to deploy them.

If I want to watch a match be decided in one blow, I'll watch Dive Kick.
    This is the kind of comment someone who only watches FG once a year would make.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus DaftPunk's Avatar
    Any videos from finals to watch now after it ended ??
    ... I take the lives of a few to protect the lives of many. I commit acts of war to preserve the greater peace. I take no joy in killing, but make no mistake; I'll do what needs to be done. Because it's my job. It's my duty. My name is Sam Fisher, and I am a Splinter Cell.

Quote Originally Posted by DaftPunk View Post
    Any videos from finals to watch now after it ended ??
    The finals, whole: http://www.twitch.tv/srkevo1/b/430438070

Lesser Hivemind Node
    I'm not knocking MvC3 as a game. There's clearly an extraordinary amount of skill involved in playing them, and I think the level of skill in execution is especially high. I think, though, that for the casual spectator that I most assuredly am, the things I like about watching fighting games are somewhat obscured. The exchanges, the search for an opening, that supernatural ability a good player has to get inside their opponent's head, these things happen very, very fast, and thereafter it's the same perfectly, beautifully executed combo in consecutive rounds. I would guess for an experienced player it's quite thrilling.

Seriously, though. Super Smash Brothers. I actually missed the final, and I'm really excited that I still have it to watch.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Jesus_Phish's Avatar
    Didn't get to watch this at the weekend so catching up on it now.

For such a long running and large event, it's production qualities are terrible. Some of the commentators sound like they're using web cams for casting.
    "Halo is designed to make the player think "I look like that, I am macho sitting in my undies with my xbox""

Steam ID

Secondary Hivemind Nexus gundato's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by arathain View Post
    I'm not knocking MvC3 as a game. There's clearly an extraordinary amount of skill involved in playing them, and I think the level of skill in execution is especially high. I think, though, that for the casual spectator that I most assuredly am, the things I like about watching fighting games are somewhat obscured. The exchanges, the search for an opening, that supernatural ability a good player has to get inside their opponent's head, these things happen very, very fast, and thereafter it's the same perfectly, beautifully executed combo in consecutive rounds. I would guess for an experienced player it's quite thrilling.

Seriously, though. Super Smash Brothers. I actually missed the final, and I'm really excited that I still have it to watch.
    Yeah, I like playing MvC3, but at the competitive level, it is just glorified DiveKick (or Dive Kick is the distillation of it).

At least with the recent MK-style games you tend to have more back and forth, rather than just a race to see who can set up their infinite juggle.
    Steam: Gundato
    PSN: Gundato
    If you want me on either service, I suggest PMing me here first to let me know who you are.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Of course, the major Capcom game and FG flagship SFIV clearly avoids long combos, so matches are much more interesting to watch. There's lots of potential for back and forth, as well as shifts in rhythm.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Mango is downright superhuman as Fox. Incredible flow, execution and prediction. The final didn't have the tension of Wobbles vs HungryBox that I mentioned above, where it was so close, with both players having an assured kill (grab chain vs. sleep), but it was even more of a show of technical mastery. Both players played their hearts out, but it could only go one way.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Jesus_Phish's Avatar
    I thought the final of Wobbles vs Mango was fairly weak. Wobbles has one tactic, chain grab and as soon as he couldn't perform that anymore he had nothing to fall back on. Mango did a great job separating the ice climbers, so all credit to him, but he pretty much dominated the match.

I turned off the MvC3 matches after a while because it really did just come down to who could juggle their way to an ultra first. Not that interesting to watch.
    "Halo is designed to make the player think "I look like that, I am macho sitting in my undies with my xbox""

Steam ID

This year's EVO was great with some newer faces showing off their skills and some of the fighting game gods being dethroned. Kind of disappointed in Daigo "the beast" Umehara though with only making 7th place in the SF tournament. Not that I could blame him tough with so much amazing talent showing up for the tournament. Xian's Gen was simply mind blowing.

The grand finals of KoF were amazing with Reynald making a huge comeback coming from the losers bracket. Man what a show!

Injustice was very entertaining to watch with representatives from many different fighting communities. Can't wait to see what insane matches we will see when the game has ripened a bit more. The game looks fabulous too making me a bit envious for not owning a console.

Can't stand watching MvC because of the aforementioned reasons.