Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Killing a boss upgrades that character to legendary by default.
    Steam ID ; GFWL: alset85

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Lambchops's Avatar
    I thought I was doing well when I got 6k or so (succumbed to the forest boss on that one, didn't have the right character for it so picked up as many chests as possible and headed on to defeat) along with plenty of armour and runes. Made up for missing out on a possibly big bounty over the previous 2 runs, did a 4k run and got the toll skipping item, rolled a Spelunker the next time and thought I was sure to be in the big money, only to stupidly die in an early room. Getting more on that one run than those two combined made me feel better about things!

Secondary Hivemind Nexus pakoito's Avatar
    Lvl 95, at the final boss. The third and fourth bosses were just a matter of getting a spellsword + flame barrier combo. Apparently I made bad choices in leveling all around and now the boss is unkillable. I planned for the long run a build with great cheap damage scaling, didn't expect it to be this short :P

My choices now are grinding the castle for 4-5 extra levels of damage and maybe some equipment or uninstall the game and watch the ending on youtube.
    Last edited by pakoito; 01-07-2013 at 07:52 PM.

You know, the comparison to ghosts and goblins seems weird. The game plays much more like castlevania games imo. Kind of a cross between the newer ones (metroidvania style castle exploring) and the old ones (gameplay and level design.) It even borrows a lot of its spells from castlevania secondary weapons.
    Which is good, because I adore early castlevania games but hate ghosts and goblins.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus sabrage's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Protoman View Post
    You know, the comparison to ghosts and goblins seems weird. The game plays much more like castlevania games imo. Kind of a cross between the newer ones (metroidvania style castle exploring) and the old ones (gameplay and level design.) It even borrows a lot of its spells from castlevania secondary weapons.
    Which is good, because I adore early castlevania games but hate ghosts and goblins.
    Let's not steer this down that road.

I've hit a brick wall after the forest boss. I really need to deck my character out with vamp runes.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Lambchops's Avatar
    Decided to turn off curse and make a more concerted effort to defeat the forest boss and was lucky enough to roll a spellsword with the chakron second try, took a fairly hazard free route to the forest, dispatched the boss in no time and headed back to the castle for more chests and explore of the Maya.

Seem to be surviving there quite well at the moment, on that run and the one subsequent I managed to pick up a few more runes and so on but on both occasions never found the boss room. Hopefully can role a Spelunker (I've got randomize so ahve a couple of chances!) soon and the architect it up to get a feel for the boss.

Level 87 now, both castle and forest are a breeze unless I'm careless and run into spikes or am using a curse rune. Speaking of runes I've unlocked tons but it seems pretty pointless, I can't imagine not using dash or sprint and filling the rest with a combination of bounty, curse, vampire, siphon or balance depending on class/aim seems to do the trick nicely. They also become too expensive to really be able to experiment with different combos.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Wolfenswan's Avatar
    I just spent what felt like hours suiciding people because I wouldn't get a heroe that's capable of killing the dungeon boss. Turned off the game after I realized what I was doing.

Many of the runes loose their purpose in the later levels. What's 6hp gain on enemy kill if the damage received by one hit is over 40, even with ~150 armor? Also item drops seem to be too rare, I'm swimming in gold that I just keep spending on the small gains from the by now absurdly expensive stat upgrades.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus sabrage's Avatar
    I was really surprised to see this game topping the Steam Best Seller's list... Albeit half the titles on that list are pre-orders, so it could just be a slower week than it seemed at first blush.

Ah. There is something hiding on top of the tech tree. Awesome.

My best run so far was with a near sighted midget Hokage. He was so tiny nothing could hit him. Managed 10k and 4 fairy chests before a Doomtrait got him.

Network Hub
    I just cannot wrap my head around this game. Watching NL's Let's Play of it he mentioned that it can become somewhat of a grind. The general consensus I get is that that is not really the case for most people, but it certainly is for me. On average I manage to collect about 90 gold and kill three enemies before dying. Meaning I have pretty much reached an impasse where I cannot progress further without a massive injection of skill or good fortune.

Maybe I'm just not good at games any more or maybe it's because I have maybe an hour a week to spare playing them and no longer wish to be challenged. Though I managed to complete Dark Souls twice; it didn't have enemies that move in random patterns off screen (which I have always found difficult, and the reason that after 20+ hours I gave up on ever getting very far in TBoI) or weapons that have an indeterminate hit radius (apparently the first 3/4's of your higly polished hitting stick are duller than a nightclub in Belgium).

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    @EOT - you're where I got to in the demo, and why I didn't buy the game.

IMO the game is Ghosts and Goblins level hard but without the control and careful design of that game - so you're endlessly thrown into "impossible" situations and expected just to suck-it-up (see earlier on trying to get the right hero to progress).

It's a shame - there are some lovely ideas in here but it lacks polish - it lacks attention to detail, especially in balancing the game for a decent range of player skill levels etc.

Usually, games do this by letting you 'chip away' at upgrades, but this doesn't - it's all or nothing - and as such I think it sucks.

Network Hub
    See, Demos. They're so much less ubiquitous than they once were I often forget they exist. If I'd remembered (or read this thread) I might have saved myself 12.

Quote Originally Posted by Lambchops View Post

I can appreciate that it's a good game - it just wasn't for me.
    I think this describes my feelings on RL pretty perfectly. I like what it's trying to do, but it's just not for me. As I mentioned in my first post I put quite some time in to TBoI, another difficult ROGUE-lite, but I just can't see myself doing that with RL.
    Last edited by EOT; 02-07-2013 at 10:47 PM.

I think a lot of the people who feel the game is too hard are missing the point. Unlike Dark Souls where it's extremely hard but you're not really supposed to die, in this game, you are supposed to die and frequently. The idea isn't that you take one character and get really far. In fact, it's near impossible to beat the first boss with any of your first 10 lives unless you just don't get hit. The idea is progression through lives, so you die a lot and get just enough gold each time to upgrade one thing and then the next time you're stronger and eventually strong enough to tackle everything.

Having said that, there are some things I DON'T like about the game - mostly just the way they handle money in the game. I DON'T like that they take your money each round. It's frustrating and stupid when I feel like I just wasted 5 minutes and died with 10 gold less than I needed. It also makes it harder for lesser skilled players to level up because you have to have a good run to do anything. I just don't see the point honestly. In addition, I hate how a lot of the things (especially runes) scale in price. It's just stupid how every time I return to the store, the gold requirement is more. It makes it so it takes forever to get all your runes and you can't experiment. It makes it so you can't fill up lesser desired items in the skill tree with bad runs because their price raises the longer you don't bye them. It makes it so the longer you play the less rewarding it feels because you have to have better and better runs to buy things and average runs are worthless. It's just a stupid design decision that I don't even understand.

I also don't get why they put in "You're gay" as a trait. Why do they feel like they got to push that into everywhere even where it doesn't belong. I just get sick of it being shoved down our throats everywhere, especially when it doesn't even make any sense at all (if they're gay, how did they get children to be heirs?).

Well in the middle ages, and for most of history gay people had children due to social pressure all the time.

I agree that there's some very unforgiving design in this and you can't get lucky with a very strong item combo like in TBoI. Your character can't get any stronger during a run, only after death so you're forced to get better at the game very quickly.

I'm still butting my head against the 4'th area with little progress.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus pakoito's Avatar
    I figured out that the problem with the controls is that most animations have a terrible startup frame value. We're used to immediate results and in here there's no possibility of on-reaction skills, every action has to be preventive. Also there's also some frames for turning around, so if you miss as soon as you hit the button you're stuck with the whole animation for the wrong side, and if you're mashing probably twice. The active frames in down attack are terrible, but I think that the ability would be horribly overpowered otherwise.

I liked the gay trait. It does nothing. You're a normal person. Got it. There's two different backlashes: "omg they put gay as a bad trait" and "omg why are they pushing gay everywhere". Both of them are equally annoying. It's there, on purpose, trying to be incloosif and DWI.

As for progression I'm not finishing the game because I'm at the final boss, underleveled because I decided to skip-rush the dungeon, and not in the mood to grind 10-15 levels worth of HP/STR+equip just to see the ending.
    Last edited by pakoito; 03-07-2013 at 07:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by pakoito View Post

I liked the gay trait. It does nothing. You're a normal person. Got it. There's two different backlashes: "omg they put gay as a bad trait" and "omg why are they pushing gay everywhere". Both of them are equally annoying. It's there, on purpose, trying to be incloosif and DWI.
    Granted the fact the "Gay" trait does nothing gameplay wise, but I still would of like to maybe be limited to 2 heirs instead of 3.. just for a BIT of difference. But I see what you're saying, we'd get some who'd say "OMG BAD TRAIT!". My response is : "Meh. That "Gay" character could have and Archmage and a Barbarian King/Queen, whilst the "straight" chars could have 3 knaves..."
    Yes, I update the below link frequently on a whisky fuelled rampage. I regret nothing.

Being a grumpy bastard about everything gaming related.

Network Hub
    So I'm trying to give it another go (to assuage my guilt over wasted money) and I have another annoyance to add to the list. 'contact' damage. Enemies being able to damage you by contact has always been annoying but when you have to jump up to flying enemies to be able to attack them and they move in to you it is doubly so. The odd delay and range on attacks doesn't help this either.

I'm not sure why I do it to myself really...
    Last edited by EOT; 03-07-2013 at 06:16 PM.

I've given it another go these last two days and I'm enjoying it way more than initially. I still feel there is something really weird with the controls at times though.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by MadJax View Post
    Granted the fact the "Gay" trait does nothing gameplay wise, but I still would of like to maybe be limited to 2 heirs instead of 3.. just for a BIT of difference. But I see what you're saying, we'd get some who'd say "OMG BAD TRAIT!". My response is : "Meh. That "Gay" character could have and Archmage and a Barbarian King/Queen, whilst the "straight" chars could have 3 knaves..."
    Given that they've went as far to say that the point of the gay trait is specifically that it does nothing, having it do something would be counter to that.

As far as why it's there... because some people think it shouldn't be.

Well it does something. It switches which statue gives you meat and which mana. I also read it slightly changes the ending.