Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Sketch's Avatar
    I don't want to say you were playing Dark Souls 'wrong' but there is absolutely a sense of progression to it. I would give it another shot.
    steam: sketch

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Lambchops's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sketch View Post
    I don't want to say you were playing Dark Souls 'wrong' but there is absolutely a sense of progression to it. I would give it another shot.
    I'm pretty sure I was playing it wrong, the problem was I didn't get the impression that I'd ever be playing it right.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus pakoito's Avatar
    Just killed the forest boss, Spellsword with chakram is the way to go. Six enhanced chakrams to the face is enough.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus sabrage's Avatar
    Spellsword+Flame Barrier ftw.

Finally killed the tower boss. He's insanely difficult if you use anything but flame barrier. Tried it about a dozen times with a dragon flying around but merely touching one if those spike balls takes off 2/3 of my health. For the fourth boss I won't bother with anything else I think.
    to wound the autumnal city.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Wolfenswan's Avatar
    Level 100+ and I just realized that there's an entire upgrade branch that I never unlocked because I didn't want to bother with "potions up". FML

Castle boss done, really should wander off into the forest but keep getting distracted by trying to clear the castle of chests and inevitably end up messing up somewhere.

At the stage now where I'm pretty much only getting incremental upgrades, enough to up damage or health and so on but pretty much unlocked all the classes I can for now and don't seem to be getting any new weapon blueprints (assume I have to wander to the forest for those).

The final boss is slain! Woo! That was a piece of work. He's probably easier than the third and fourth bosses but certainly no pushover.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    From the demo the game seems fun and compelling, but I really dislike it when games force me to press a (non-remappable) combination of keys to perform some action (like down-attack when jumping) when I have plenty of other perfectly adequate keys sitting around unused and unloved.
    Irrelevant on further examination of the rest of the thread.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Ravelle's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Lambchops View Post
    It might be harder than Dark Souls, I don't know because I never stuck with DS for long enough but there's much more of a sense of improvement/progression.

Dark Souls left me with the impression that I was stuck in the mire, not getting any better and utterly clueless about what I should be doing. This on the other hand, while difficult, has me feeling like I'm always making some sort of progress and keeps me having one more go.
    I die a million times more in Rogue Legacy than I did in Dark souls, enemies weren't thrown in light speed toward you and were 9 out of 10 times ground battles.
    Steam | Origin: xRavelle | Skype: TheRavelle | PSN: Voltburn | Watch me struggle through my backlog

Maybe it's just the extra dimension giving me an extra chance to be careless, maybe it's just that I'm a clumsy off with the gamepad on all but the most forgiving of games; but it took me way more hours than it should to even get past the first boss in Dark Souls and quite frankly I think if I ever see that same bloody bit of dungeon again (which I'll have to if I give it another go) it'll probably be too much for me.

I can appreciate that it's a good game - it just wasn't for me.

There is a button in the options that enables the pogo attack simply by pressing down when in midair. Although once you get a vault or sky rune you'll never need or even want to use it ever again.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by Anthile View Post
    There is a button in the options that enables the pogo attack simply by pressing down when in midair. Although once you get a vault or sky rune you'll never need or even want to use it ever again.
    It seems that option is not available in the demo, but that's good to know.
    Irrelevant on further examination of the rest of the thread.

Yeah they fixed a few irksome things from the demo (like if you remapped keys they didn't remap when in menus, that sort of thing) in the final release.

Lambchops, you'll definitely find more weapon and armor plans when you start branching out into the other areas. It is a huge help!

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Taking away your gold between runs is a bold design decision that I really like. It allows a run to fail if you don't get enough gold to get an upgrade; conversely, every boost feels earned. I like that the design lets players feel frustrated and have to improve to overcome it.

Almost all games with character progression give you something just for showing up, usually XP. It allows an unskilled player to invest time in place of skill, and beat a challenge by outlevelling it rather than mastering it. Anyone who's played an MMO to higher levels knows that there are plenty of max level characters who still don't know how to play their character remotely well. None of that here, and it's refreshing.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    I am a unskilled player.

I used to hate games like Ghost & Goblins. I don't even know what the level 2 of G&G looks like. Modern games are made for people like me!, yaayyyyyyyyyyy :D

Lesser Hivemind Node
    I just want to say, Tei, that there's nothing wrong with that whatsoever. I play the occasional MMO because I like the feeling of progression, and I like to relax in the knowledge that I'm always getting somewhere. I am not immune to the gentle psychological caress of levelling up.

It's everywhere, though. It's a virus that has infected every other genre. Sometimes I want a game to stop patronising me (everyone's a winner! You too are a special snowflake hero. Have a reward) and instead challenge me to meet its standards.

I killed a giant eyeball today. Hooray for me. Finally gave up on trying to dodge its silly attacks and just DPS'ed it down with a Hokage. Silly eyeball.

There is something infuriatingly addictive about this game. Maybe it's to do with the game forcing you to immediately pick a new heir before you can buy shiny things with the gold from last death. It's a "just one more d00d' syndrome.

I've found it pays to run around the later areas with an stealthed assassin and pick up the blueprints/runes.

Anyone have a legendary run? What's the most gold you got in one run?

Nothing too impressive for me (I don't think). I had a good run with a Lich Queen, took out the forest boss and accumulated quite a collection of armor, runes and about 12k in gold. That's a decent run, but I bet there are some people out there that have more impressive stories out there than that.