Yes, another upgrade question! Processor + Motherboard

Hey guys,

So I'm starting to notice that my CPU is holding me back with the games I'm running and will be looking to run in the future. Particularly with Planetside 2/Arma 2 & 3 etc. I've upgraded my GPU and RAM recently (nothing fancy but they should be serviceable) and have kind of been holding off getting a new CPU, but I think it's come to crunch time.

Here are the specs for my other hardware:

Corsair 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1333MHz
    AMD Sapphire 11200-07-20G (2GB HD7850, GDDR5)
    OCZ Stealth Xtream 500W PSU

I'm kind of assuming I'll need another PSU as I've heard these Stealth ones aren't too brilliant

Now I'm happy fitting and upgrading hardware but my knowledge is still fairly limited. Looking at comparison websites often makes my head spin and there are a helluva lot of options available.
    You can sort of see what my budget is there. I won't be buying the latest gear but I'm not going to completely skimp.

This processor had my eye http://www.ebuyer.com/393559-intel-c...bx80637153350p but I'm really shooting in the dark here as I've no idea where to even start with looking up a motherboard, or even knowing if this one would be suitable for gaming for a few years.

Any help or advice would be really appreciated!!

Thanks
    OP

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Sakkura's Avatar
    That processor is a good option at the price. There is also Intel's new generation of processors and motherboards. That gives only a slight performance increase, but you also get some motherboard perks such as more SATA3 ports. Here's a suggested motherboard + CPU set for each generation. Cheap motherboards, but good enough for what you're doing. You can upgrade the PSU too if you like, but you won't need higher wattage.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-3350P 3.1GHz Quad-Core Processor (138.65 @ Dabs)
    Motherboard: MSI B75MA-P45 Micro ATX LGA1155 Motherboard (50.00 @ Ebuyer)
    Total: 188.65
    (Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
    (Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-06-28 15:38 BST+0100)

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-4430 3.0GHz Quad-Core Processor (141.59 @ Aria PC)
    Motherboard: Asus B85M-G Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard (58.66 @ Dabs)
    Total: 200.25
    (Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
    (Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-06-28 15:43 BST+0100)

Great, thanks very much for your advice! I've never seen that PCPartPicker website and I think it will very much come in useful in the future.

OP.

OCZ's StealthXStream 500 W isn't a dangerous PSU; it's built by FSP, who are reliable. It is a touch old, but that doesn't matter much. A quick look through Amazon UK shows these, in a good -> better -> best arrangement:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B009RMP2VE/ - Corsair CX 500, 52.75
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B004MMT5D0/ - FSP Aurum 500, 69.99
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00918MEZG/ - Seasonic SS-550RM, 93.40

Peak load with a 4430 and 7850, a couple disks and 2-4 DIMMs wouldn't be much more than 350 W, so you could do with any well-made PSU in the 350-500 W range, assuming it has the connectors you need (especially important are the PCI-E ones for your GPU, because low-wattage PSUs often only have one of the 6-pins).