Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

'There's no such thing as a stupid question...

but there are a lot of inquisitive idiots..'

General questions about the game.

(Started for Henlaaz, who is having trouble posting a new thread.)

I'll start!

I know you can squad deploy on a dead squad leader, but does it still count if they got killed in a vehicle (particularly aircraft)?

Who gets concussion grenades? (I never look at all the different classes cert stuff, I'm terrible).
    Last edited by QuantaCat; 30-05-2013 at 09:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by sinomatic View Post
    I'll start!

I know you can squad deploy on a dead squad leader, but does it still count if they got killed in a vehicle (particularly aircraft)?

Who gets concussion grenades? (I never look at all the different classes cert stuff, I'm terrible).
    You can squad deploy on a corpse.
    Heavies get the Conc grenade.

you also get XP as a corpse. so if you die shortly before a facility flips, just lie down for a second.
    - Tom De Roeck.

monochrom & verse publications

"Quantacat's name is still recognised even if he watches on with detached eyes like Peter Molyneux over a cube in 3D space, staring at it with tears in his eyes, softly whispering... Someday they'll get it."

Note that the LA has the flash grenade. (Useful to keep in mind if you want a full LA-squad for tactical reasons).

Lesser Hivemind Node sketchseven's Avatar
    True, but the LA and HA grenades are all certed options that you have to buy in to - and that can be an issue when starting.

Optional grenades are good but if you're just starting out I'd stick to putting certs into Nanoweave Armour (for some extra survivability) and the two main support class tools.

Once you have those sorted out, getting something like LA Flash and Smoke or HA Concussion grenades give you a good option in close-quarter fights.

To be honest straight up smoke grenades aren't that great. They take up infantry points which are much better spent on C4 (which is a very good buy btw) and you only get a limited supply unless replenished at a terminal.

By far a better option is the under-barrel grenade launcher (you can get it in regular, smoke and anti vehicle flavours) which don;t cost infantry points and you can resupply them at an engineer's ammo pack. It does mean though that you have to use the Solstice SF weapon which in itself isn't great but it is fairly usable.

Network Hub
    ~~~RESOURCES~~~

Character Builder - http://www.ps2builder.com
    Guns Spreadsheet - https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/...pe=view&gid=12
    Rockets Spreadsheet - https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/...r=false&gid=75
    Resist & Armour Spreadsheet - https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/...3Y2ktQ2c#gid=3
    Cupboy's Interesting Stats spreadsheet - https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/...Hc&output=html
    Player Stats - https://players.planetside2.com/
    Outfit Stats - http://outfitpoints.com/
    Dev Tracker - http://www.ps2tracker.net/
    Roadmap - http://www.planetside2.com/roadmap
    PS2 Reddit - http://www.reddit.com/r/planetside
    PS2 Sale Tracker - https://twitter.com/PS2DailyDeals
    The One True Thread (for people with SA accounts) - http://forums.somethingawful.com/sho...readid=3550709

Quote Originally Posted by sinomatic View Post
    I honestly don't know. We've definitely had problems with people deploying at warpgate when their SL is the middle of the field, and I've suspected your reason is why. Give me a shout next time we're both online and we'll test it.
    Last edited by cfftble; 03-06-2013 at 02:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by laldy View Post
    You can squad deploy on a corpse.
    Heavies get the Conc grenade.
    But if you are in your vehicle when it blows up you usually don't leave a corpse, hence the question, so does that mean no?

Obscure Node
    Two things I learned today that I haven't seen anywhere else so I'll stick em here, Engineers can equip their turret, press B (or whatever your deploy button is) and it magicly turns into a ammo pack. Gives you a free utility slot to use for tank mines or whatever and all your ammo box certs still work using this method.

And you can mute proximity chat in game by going into "voice and chat" on the social tab menu thing, click the "+voice options" button down the bottom right and can adjust the volume for each channel (prox, outfit, squad) separately. Perfect if the warp gate disco isn't quite loud enough for you

Obscure Node
    Quote Originally Posted by MadraGorm View Post
    Two things I learned today that I haven't seen anywhere else so I'll stick em here, Engineers can equip their turret, press B (or whatever your deploy button is) and it magicly turns into a ammo pack. Gives you a free utility slot to use for tank mines or whatever and all your ammo box certs still work using this method.
    Just started playing as engineer, and I didn't know this. Thanks!

Lesser Hivemind Node apricotsoup's Avatar
    Things people often don't know:

The minimap can be zoomed with [] and enlarged with H.
    You can cancel charging a lancer with a melee attack.
    There is an autorun command, I don't know what the default is atm as mine's set to mouse 5.
    Most weapons reload faster if there's at least 1 shot left in the mag before reloading.
    One of the reasons the night vision scope is so highly favoured is that it's unnaturally steady when the user experienced unusual movements such as jumping, jetpacking or sliding down cliffs.
    Last edited by apricotsoup; 30-05-2013 at 09:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by apricotsoup View Post
    Things people often don't know:

The minimap can be zoomed with [] and enlarged with H.
    You can cancel charging a lancer with a melee attack.
    There is an autorun command, I don't know what the default is atm as mine's set to mouse 5.
    Most weapons reload faster if there's at least 1 shot left in the mag before reloading.
    - DIdnt know that about the minimap.
    - canceling a charge is also done by switching guns
    - autorun is a setting; you can set it to toggle.
    - didnt know that about the reload either.

I started merging posts so new people dont have to scour through pages and pages of talk.
    - Tom De Roeck.

monochrom & verse publications

"Quantacat's name is still recognised even if he watches on with detached eyes like Peter Molyneux over a cube in 3D space, staring at it with tears in his eyes, softly whispering... Someday they'll get it."

Obscure Node
    I think he means you can use "=" (by default) to autorun much like you would in an MMO. It also works in vehicles but if you alt tab or do anything else you will stop moving, whereas infantry keep running forever

Network Hub
    If we're doing general tips,

• Territory does not matter one goddamn jot. Avoid endless ghostcapping, fighting in spawncamps, defending locks against ludicrous numbers or worrying about connectivity to the warp gate. This is a game. The only metric that matters is entertainment, so find fun fights instead.
    • How to find fun fights: flip to "Enemy Activity" overlay on the map, look for territories with more than 12 hostiles (any less and it's likely just one or two guys). Now check that the population balance is between 40% and 60%. Unless a battle's right on the border between two territories (in which case one area might be overwhelmingly friendly and the other overwhelmingly hostile), if the balance is outside that range then it's going to be a spawncamp. Finally, check that it's not a biolab with 48+ people per side.
    • There are tunnels in the spawn rooms of amp stations and tech plants. Use them.
    • You get 10 seconds of immunity to fall damage after leaving a lift beam/jump pad/droppod. Use this rather than the "down" elevators on tech plants, towers, and biolabs, and exploit the shit out of it to murder Sunderers that are hiding under the legs of tech plants.
    • When in a lift beam, look up ~45 degrees and hold down W and jump/crouch to rapidly ascend/descend. Holding jump, you'll leap several meters into the air at the end of the lift.
    • Bind minimap zoom to something closer to hand than [ and ]. I use the scrollwheel. It's a lifesaver, especially when you have radar (cert a radar flash always have radar)
    • Firing a weapon will flag you on nearby hostile's minimaps for ten seconds.
    • You can adjust minimap colouring in the General Options. I use pink for VS, blue for NC and red for TR (because those don't clash with the squad colourings).
    • There's a spot key (Q by default I think?) that will flag the targeted hostile on nearby ally's minimaps for ten seconds. Keep in mind though that the spot message can be heard by nearby hostiles.
    • Holding down the spot key on an ally will give you a menu where you can ask for ammo, heals, repairs or a ride. This is better than shooting the target of your request.
    • Proximity messages (the ones accessed from the voice menu and the spot key), infiltrator cloaks and fighter aircraft all have empire-specific sounds.
    • When on the spawn screen, nearby medics are represented by crosses. See if any are running towards you before hitting deploy.
    • Ignore the advice of anyone who disagrees with cfftble.
    • When being revived in a firefight, watch the kill logs to see if your medic died immediately after. If she did, why not wait a bit before clicking "yes".
    • Fighter aren't immune to small arms fire. If your squad is being harassed by one, just open up, it'll drive her off.
    • MAX suits have a 80% resistance to small arms fire. They have no resistance to explosives. The Heavy's AV grenades are shit against tanks but wonderful against MAXes, taking them down to 10-15% health in one hit. In cases of MAX crashes and camps, cert grenade bandoleer and chuck two round the door in quick succession. You'll score a pile of Extreme Menaces.
    • Lashers are also a good choice against MAXs, as are underbarrel grenades (they'll take a MAX to half-health in one hit).
    • Squad deploy drops you on your squad leader's head, even if they're currently a corpse. Use it while you're waiting for your beacon spawn to cool down, or if you're a SL yourself and want to rapidly redeploy your squad without a Galaxy.
    • Phoenix missiles (the screaming blue ones NC launch) can be shot down.
    • The Engineer's sticky grenades, when attached to a hostile, will go through the spawn shield with the hostile. It will also ignore that hostile's flak armour, pretty much guaranteeing you a kill.
    • The HA's resist shield has a cutoff at 500-600 damage. If a single projectile is more than that (say from a tank shell or a sniper bullet), it'll ignore the shield's resistance.
    • Don't park Sunderers under base walls, especially those of amp stations and tech plants. It's the work of a moment for an engineer or LA to take the spawn tunnels and jump pads to right next to your Sunderer, and then dump mines and C4 on top of it.
    • If you feel you're dying far too often, it's almost certainly because you're being too aggressive. Stop running into ambushes, idiot. Find cover and wait for hostiles (who you can see on your minimap because you brought radar, right?) to come to you.
    • You can get onto the biolab roofs as any class (two easiest methods shown here, there are others): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kU-NMNV2W9s
    • You can climb up the walls of gate towers as any class (the recon darts aren't necessary): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vucGLBGA6ts
    • When you first join a squad, hitting insert will instantly (no countdown) spawn you at the nearest spawn to the squad leader.
    Last edited by cfftble; 31-05-2013 at 12:45 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by cfftble View Post
    • Holding down the spot key on an ally will give you a menu where you can ask for ammo, heals, repairs or a ride. This is better than shooting the target of your request.
    • Ignore the advice of anyone who disagrees with cfftble.
    • When being revived in a firefight, watch the kill logs to see if your medic died immediately after. If she did, why not wait a bit before clicking "yes".
    • Fighters aren't immune to small arms fire. If your squad is being harassed by one, just open up, it'll drive her off.
    The first one of these drives me nuts. If you shoot at my sundy in lieu of asking for a lift I reserve the right to back the f**k over you (twice).

The second is incorrect, the advice is valid, the person in question just won't get a word in edge wise to give it with cfftble in channel.

The third is a really good tip that I didn't know, thx.

The fourth also drives me nuts, unload on the stupid buzzy thing, you won't do a huge amount of damage alone but it scares off a good fraction of pilots, or at the very least upsets their aim! If the whole squad do it you might actually kill the thing. NB not true of Libs.

Can I add:

Chuck a C4 onto a door frame then dance in front of it to lure a max through - *boom* - it's down right hilarious.

The fixed base turrets got a serious buff a few patches ago and and worth using if at all possible.

Run from cover to cover and be unpredictable (zig zag etc)

Aiming down sights is not always a good thing - up close or with some attachments (lasers) you might better hip firing.

If you run out of bullets in a close range one on one, run straight at em and knife - you're probably dead otherwise and it works a lot of the time!

Lesser Hivemind Node sketchseven's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Grible View Post
    The fourth also drives me nuts, unload on the stupid buzzy thing, you won't do a huge amount of damage alone but it scares off a good fraction of pilots, or at the very least upsets their aim! If the whole squad do it you might actually kill the thing.

The fixed base turrets got a serious buff a few patches ago and and worth using if at all possible.

Run from cover to cover and be unpredictable (zig zag etc)

Aiming down sights is not always a good thing - up close or with some attachments (lasers) you might better hip firing.

If you run out of bullets in a close range one on one, run straight at em and knife - you're probably dead otherwise and it works a lot of the time!
    Agree with a lot of these points; most ESF pilots will bug out very quickly once they start getting hit. If two or three people open up on one they'll drop out very quickly (or just explode).

Turrets are great, especially the anti-vehicle and anti-air guns. You need to loft your shots onto distant targets with the AV turrets but getting the loft and lead right on a long distance shot and nailing a moving target is very satisfying.

Whenever you're on foot and moving from point A to point B, always assume someone is trying to aim at you. Zig zagging in no particular pattern or order is the best way to move.

Up close in this game hip firing is far more likely to get you the kill, especially on moving targets (rather than stationary targets aiming at you). This also frees you up more for the run-in-and-stab-'em move when you both run out of ammo. Nine times out of ten they'll go to a pistol, but you'll both be hurting and you'll only need to get the last hit in with the knife to finish them.

Lastly, just to echo this:
    • There's a spot key (Q by default I think?) that will flag the targeted hostile on nearby ally's minimaps for ten seconds. Keep in mind though that the spot message can be heard by nearby hostiles.

... Just because I had a classic example of this tonight on Amerish; running around a hill as an HA when I heard 'enemy heavy spotted' very close by - whipped around and gunned down the enemy infiltrator behind me. If he hadn't hit his Q key, I'd never have heard him and he'd have got the drop on me.

Thanks for starting the thread

If i buy a zoom for a vehicle gun, do I only get it on a vehicle I spawn?

Can an engi AV turret hurt a Max?

Are Engi ammo certs good?

Battle rifle on an Engi any good?

Ta

Secondary Hivemind Nexus mrpier's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Henlaaz View Post
    Thanks for starting the thread

If i buy a zoom for a vehicle gun, do I only get it on a vehicle I spawn?

Can an engi AV turret hurt a Max?

Ta
    Yes, and if you cert zoom for the basilisk on the sunderer it will not carry over to the basilisk on the harasser for instance.

Sure can.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus EsotericReverie's Avatar
    The Eidolon is very good for long range engagements! High velocity ammo, OG 4x scope and flash suppressor seems to be the go-to solution for that. Add a laser sight to improve its effectiveness at closer ranges. If you run into someone, just start hip firing like mad. Every shot hurts like hell. 4 shots to kill an I augmented enemy at close quarters, I think. Note that it is still a bad gun for close range combat. It can also be used by heavies.

Battle Rifle is good on engi. It's nice for when you're manning a mana turret or babysitting some maxes in the open and you want to plink away at people 75-150 meters out.

Don't get it first though. It's not useful all the time and you're probably best off getting the Serpent first.