Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Network Hub
    I'd quite like it if RPS covered some of the more notable/bizarre/inventive console games. Things like Dragon's Dogma, The Unfinished Swan, Journey, The Last of US, Red Dead Redemption, The Last Guardian (if it ever bloody comes out) etc etc.

It could even be a separate weekly article akin to Cardboard Children. I don't see many people bitching about the inclusion of boardgames in our hallowed PC blog.

I guess RPS maybe shouldn't switch in any major way to covering console games... But as for featuring them? Sure, why not? If a console game is important or notable, as LordCooper says above, then why not post about it? RPS features plenty of things that aren't PC games... discussion of the media, boardgames, hardware & software, music, and even consoles and their games. If there's something interesting to be said about a console game, I'd probably like to read it.

I'd think we'd be over the whole PC Elitist zealot vs. console scrubs toybox thing by now, so that when a console game appears we don't jerk our knees and demand every trace of it be removed from the site.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hypernetic View Post
    I just have an opinion different to your own. Circle jerking is good for no one, be glad somebody isn't afraid to disagree with women on the internet.
    No, you are literally the cancer that is killing gaming.
    Quote Originally Posted by Serenegoose View Post
    Nobody's ever lost sleep over being called a cracker.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Hypernetic's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Unaco View Post
    I guess RPS maybe shouldn't switch in any major way to covering console games... But as for featuring them? Sure, why not? If a console game is important or notable, as LordCooper says above, then why not post about it? RPS features plenty of things that aren't PC games... discussion of the media, boardgames, hardware & software, music, and even consoles and their games. If there's something interesting to be said about a console game, I'd probably like to read it.

I'd think we'd be over the whole PC Elitist zealot vs. console scrubs toybox thing by now, so that when a console game appears we don't jerk our knees and demand every trace of it be removed from the site.
    Eh. If the game has some kind of new and innovative technology or genre revolutionizing bullshit, sure why not? I just don't want to see reviews of console exclusive games or news posts/previews/general crap about console games.

It's not because of elitism, it's because I'd rather the pretty limited staff of RPS focus their efforts on PC gaming and PC gaming related things. There are already plenty of decent places for me to go to get console related stuff.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    It shouldn't be the focus... I just remember years ago John bemoaning the fact he couldn't cover Phoenix Wright on RPS when it was by far the most interesting thing he'd played for ages. It just seemed silly not to.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Quote Originally Posted by thegooseking View Post
    You might as well ask if a PC-only site should cover board games oh wait.
    Well said.

I think an irregular column on console games would be a good thing for the site. Once a month or something. Keep your friends close but keep your enemies closer :p That kind of thing.

And there are at least a couple of good games that don't make it out on pc. And quite a few good pc games start life as console titles.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Nalano's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by riadsala View Post
    I think an irregular column on console games would be a good thing for the site. Once a month or something.
    You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Director of the Friends of Nalano PAC
    Attorney at Lawl
    "His lack of education is more than compensated for by his keenly developed moral bankruptcy." - Woody Allen

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    I own multiple consoles and enjoy good console games, but I don't want to see anything about them here. If you want console news, go look at any other gaming site besides this one and PC Gamer. I used to frequent a site that covered console games while pretending to also be interested in PC gaming. Then they reviewed BF3 using the 360 version, and took points off the PC score because the graphics looked like shit on the 360.
    "What were we talking about? Pegasuses, pegasii, that's horses with wings. This motherf*cker got a sword that talks to him. Motherf*cker live in places that don't exist, it comes with a map. My God."

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by db1331 View Post
    I own multiple consoles and enjoy good console games, but I don't want to see anything about them here. If you want console news, go look at any other gaming site besides this one and PC Gamer.
    The thing is, the sort of console games that RPS would be interested in are probably different to what most of those other sites are interested in.

Quote Originally Posted by deano2099 View Post
    The thing is, the sort of console games that RPS would be interested in are probably different to what most of those other sites are interested in.
    Maybe we should have a doppleganger site called Tic Tac Tomahawk where Jane Walker and Janet Rossignol wax lyrical about the console exclusives that are a cut above the usual dross.
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Attorney at Lawl
    "His lack of education is more than compensated for by his keenly developed moral bankruptcy." - Woody Allen

Secondary Hivemind Nexus thegooseking's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by riadsala View Post
    Well said.

I think an irregular column on console games would be a good thing for the site. Once a month or something. Keep your friends close but keep your enemies closer :p That kind of thing.

And there are at least a couple of good games that don't make it out on pc. And quite a few good pc games start life as console titles.
    Well, I mean, in all seriousness, I once had a disagreement with Jim where I said Red Dead Redemption wouldn't make a very good PC game (though in fairness I was mainly talking about the importance of the tactility of the controls - which isn't exactly unavailable on PC if you play with an Xbox 360 controller), while he said he thought it was a very PC game. I would love to read an article where he explains why he thinks that in a long-form way.

I think if you're going to make a PC-only site, it's a very good idea to discuss (if not define) precisely what PC gaming means above and beyond merely being released on that particular platform, and that's inevitably going to mean comparison with console games.
    "Moronic cynicism is a kind of na´vetÚ. It's na´vetÚ turned inside-out. Na´vetÚ wearing a sneer." -Momus

Quote Originally Posted by Nalano View Post
    You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.
    Maybe irregular didn't refer to the frequency of the column.
    I just have an opinion different to your own. Circle jerking is good for no one, be glad somebody isn't afraid to disagree with women on the internet.
    No, you are literally the cancer that is killing gaming.
    Quote Originally Posted by Serenegoose View Post
    Nobody's ever lost sleep over being called a cracker.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by thegooseking View Post
    Well, I mean, in all seriousness, I once had a disagreement with Jim where I said Red Dead Redemption wouldn't make a very good PC game...
    I've always shared this belief. If I could play with a mouse, it would completely negate the need for the dead eye mechanic, which in turn would make combat completely trivial. I think I would almost have to play it with a 360 pad, like I did with GTA IV. I started playing with M+KB, but my accuracy with the mouse was clearly much better than the designers ever intended. There was one mission in particular you were supposed to start with a foot chase and then end in a car chase after you exited the back of a building. As soon as I stepped outside and saw my target pulling off in his getaway car, I fired one round from my pistol through his rear window and into his head. Mission complete, without even getting in the car Rockstar had conveniently placed nearby for me to follow him in. So, I had to purposely nerf myself with a controller and auto-aim. Yes, I went to a system that automatically snaps your aim to enemies to be LESS accurate (I think that says everything about the huge advantage a mouse has when it comes to aiming). I've beaten RDR twice now, and I could see a ton of stuff like this happening if I were to play it with some proper controls.
    "What were we talking about? Pegasuses, pegasii, that's horses with wings. This motherf*cker got a sword that talks to him. Motherf*cker live in places that don't exist, it comes with a map. My God."

Quote Originally Posted by Unaco View Post
    Maybe irregular didn't refer to the frequency of the column.
    "Once a month" is a schedule, which, however infrequent it may be, implies regular updates.
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Attorney at Lawl

Secondary Hivemind Nexus neema_t's Avatar
    Maybe we should have a doppleganger site called Tic Tac Tomahawk where Jane Walker and Janet Rossignol wax lyrical about the console exclusives that are a cut above the usual dross.
    And they can talk about the misandry inherent in the system! Perfect.

No but really, I like the way RPS mans and womans talk about games. I would like to read a WIT of Journey, for instance. I'm sure I can find an RPS staffsman/woman's words on it elsewhere, but I wouldn't know where to look. There are very few console games that would be RPS' collective cup of tea, so if their branching out into console games as well meant the occasional post about a new Pixeljunk game or whatever, I'd be happy with that. I used to read console gaming sites but they were just far too involved with the AAA industry so I still don't know what Pixeljunk 4AM is.

Quote Originally Posted by neema_t View Post
    And they can talk about the misandry inherent in the system! Perfect.
    Sadly, the sexism is still the same.

Maybe we're not so different after all~~~
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Attorney at Lawl

Secondary Hivemind Nexus mickygor's Avatar
    Sadly, the sexism is still the same.

Maybe we're not so different after all~~~
    No, we're different and one is objectively better than the other. The objectives of RPS and this TTT site would be to determine which one is objectively superior.
    Itsbastiat, Dawngate
    Bastiat, Planetside 2, Miller NC
    Therin Katta, FFXIV, Cerberus

I don't have any opinion for or against console games, but I just want to say that I love the name Tic Tac Tomahawk.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Bankrotas's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jams O'Donnell View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Bonzrat View Post
    'Should this vegetarian restaurant start offering meat dishes?'
    If PC games are vegetarian, does that make the PC indie scene vegan?
    As a meat eater I find comment like this insulting...
    Hear from the spirit-world this mystery:
    Creation is summed up, O man, in thee;
    Angel and demon, man and beast art thou,
    Yea, thou art all thou dost appear to be!
    http://ps2guides.besaba.com/

Network Hub
    I'm quite undecided on what I think of this. On the one hand, I already have to sift through masses of crap to find a good article to read (yes, here on RPS), so what the heck why not. On the other hand, I don't feel like sifting through even more crap (and by this I mean through more articles irellevant to my tastes).

Network Hub
    There are so many other sites that tackle gaming in general - with a console-heavy slant - that RPS serves as a "noise"-free haven for all things related to "PC" gaming. IMO of course.