Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Far Cry 3: worth the time?

As the hedgehog of time blinks into the oncoming headlights of the Steam sale, I am looking at my wishlist and wondering whether Far Cry 3 is worth buying. It looks like something that could eat up a lot of time, and I'm not sure it's worth it. The things I've heard that put me off are:

• reports of the broken economy (the player is too rich too quickly, can get the most powerful guns early on, perhaps this has been fixed in a mod?)
    • the storyline being a failed satire of the genre (I have read the relevant interview and am not convinced)
    • deaths during missions undo too much progress (still the case with all the patches?)

Most reports seem to go something like: the plot (ironic or not) is atrocious but the world is fun (sneaking up on pirates but was eaten by a tiger/swam with sharks/wingsuit, etc). Does this still hold up six months on? Is it, as some have said, basically a version of Just Cause 2 without the grappeling hook?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Nalano's Avatar
    Satire requires parody or exaggeration of a ridiculous farce, preferably with a knowing wink by the performer in the form of irony or sarcasm.

Far Cry 3 is played straight. Because of this, the game is patently unplayable for me.

As for the other two points:

1) You get free guns based on the number of radio towers you fuck with. You automatically do a tower in the first three missions of the game. You are thus never without free guns, making all money pointless.
    3) Deaths don't undo diddly-squat.
    4) The world sucks because the game insists on jarring you out of it every time you a) look at a map, b) craft something, c) look at your tattoo-of-skills, d) check your notes, e) "track" something with your x-ray vision, etc.
    5) Just Cause 2 may have been a better satire because it lampshaded exactly the same sort of "crazy well-armed Yank fucks up a tropical paradise in the name of FREEDOM and MURICA" and then just ran with it. It has better gameplay because of the grappling hook and far more diverse an environment to fuck around with it. Far Cry 3 is too far up its own ass to compete.
    Last edited by Nalano; 01-07-2013 at 02:38 PM.
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Director of the Friends of Nalano PAC
    Attorney at Lawl
    "His lack of education is more than compensated for by his keenly developed moral bankruptcy." - Woody Allen

Quote Originally Posted by fitzroy_doll View Post
    As the hedgehog of time blinks into the oncoming headlights of the Steam sale, I am looking at my wishlist and wondering whether Far Cry 3 is worth buying. It looks like something that could eat up a lot of time, and I'm not sure it's worth it. The things I've heard that put me off are:

• reports of the broken economy (the player is too rich too quickly, can get the most powerful guns early on, perhaps this has been fixed in a mod?)
    • the storyline being a failed satire of the genre (I have read the relevant interview and am not convinced)
    • deaths during missions undo too much progress (still the case with all the patches?)

Most reports seem to go something like: the plot (ironic or not) is atrocious but the world is fun (sneaking up on pirates but was eaten by a tiger/swam with sharks/wingsuit, etc). Does this still hold up six months on? Is it, as some have said, basically a version of Just Cause 2 without the grappeling hook?
    I think it really depends what you want the game to be...

I have tried it twice and all I can say is that, it's not worth my time... Sure it's gorgeous, but I didn't like it at all. It's boring and repetitive and the story is borderline offensive...

At the same time I have friends who love the game so much... And it was RPS game of the year... So i guess it really depends of what you're after. For me a game must have at least one of 3 qualities: A good story, must be fun to play, have an interesting gameplay. This game doesn't deliver any of this, for me at least...

Quote Originally Posted by db1331 View Post
    I give unto you the maddest of props. You're a god damned super hero.
    *Mostly* harmless

A friend of mine and I got it cheap to play co-op, and were disappointed to find that co-op wasn't the same as the single player game. We tried it for a bit anyway, but for whatever reason, disliked it intensely. I've also had a go at the single player and found that to be no more enjoyable. The menu system is laughably poor and horribly confusing, as is objective/waypoint management. Add uPlay to that mix and the whole package just turned me right off. Can't speak for the story as I didn't play it long enough to find out just how bad it was.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    I think it's quite awesome and crazy (but not Saint's Row 3 crazy).

Running through jungles and hunting bears with old shotgun, punching sharks, messing up with pirates, wingsuit, motherfucking FLAMETHROWER, Vaas, killing animals to make bigger walet/ammo puch, ridiculous plot, fighting some "supernatural" things with explosive bow while beign high on some strange shrooms, PUNCHING SHARKS.

Jeez, how you can even think that you doesn't want to play a game where you can punch shark.

PS. Although "we're gonna show you EVERYTHING on mini-map" is very bad, but I'm sure you can find some mods for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Nalano View Post

1) You get free guns based on the number of radio towers you fuck with. You automatically do a tower in the first three missions of the game. You are thus never without free guns, making all money pointless.
    4) The world sucks because the game insists on jarring you out of it every time you a) look at a map, b) craft something, c) look at your tattoo-of-skills, d) check your notes, e) "track" something with your x-ray vision, etc.
    These points are valid, and if such things bother you then yes, FC3 won't be your thing. However, I really enjoy it (I'm still playing, have sunk 20+ hours into it). For me, the story is no worse than any other shooter - it's just there to provide an excuse to shoot the guys wearing red.

I've enjoyed the crafting system, even though that is bat-shit crazy too and makes no sense whatsoever.

The best part is capturing the enemy bases, which is where the variety of weaponry available comes into its own. Setting traps with mines and distracting guards by throwing stones, that sort of thing. Esteemed writer/game maker Tom Francis puts it better than me in his review for PCG.
    Steam : pngblackice
    Raptr : pngblackice

It's a power fantasy - fun but not very challenging (and quite dumb).

If your'e looking for an open world game, I found sleeping dogs to be much better than FC3.

Network Hub
    If you haven't played Far Cry 2 first, I'd recommend picking that up first and seeing if you like it. It's a much different game, and well worth your time to see if it rings your bell. Far Cry 3 is more of standard modern semi-open shooter with all its positives and negatives.

Otherwise, buy Far Cry 3: Blood Dragon instead since it is cheaper and gets to the point faster.

Network Hub
    Quote Originally Posted by Avish View Post
    If your'e looking for an open world game, I found sleeping dogs to be much better than FC3.
    I will second Sleeping Dogs. An excellent game with well done hand to hand combat.

Network Hub
    5) Just Cause 2 may have been a better satire because it lampshaded exactly the same sort of "crazy well-armed Yank fucks up a tropical paradise in the name of FREEDOM and MURICA" and then just ran with it. It has better gameplay because of the grappling hook and far more diverse an environment to fuck around with it. Far Cry 3 is too far up its own ass to compete.
    1) Money isn't pointless. By messing with radio towers you unlock guns, but you unlock them in what is essentially a progression from worst > best. With money you can save up to buy specific weapons that fit your playstyle and get upgrades for them.

4) The world is quite fine. There is a mod that gets rid of the awful minimap and then you are set. Sure you get kicked out to a menu for the map and crafting, but if that destroys a world then I know of only a handful of games that pass the test.

5) I don;t think you can compare Just Cause 2 and Far Cry 3. They are different games. Just Cause 2 is an absurd open world third person shooter where you are never outsmarting opponents or in any real danger.

The economy doesn't really matter much. You can use money to buy fancy guns and upgrades for those guns. You realistically will have enough money to get a preferred weapon set up. If you want every weapon then you actually have to work at it. On top of that about half the guns are locked behind a midway story mission, and crafting requires that you hunt animals.

The storyline isn't great, but it is far from terrible. Spoilers kinda sorta, but not really As you play through the story missions you end up killing a lot of folks, and at first your character is a pansy about it. However, as the game goes on he becomes more blood thirsty. This is mainly reflected in your character's one liners and what some npcs say to you. I think this is where the game gets most of it's story props. Like I said it isn't anything great or wonderful, but you kinda avoid the Tomb Raider problem where the first kill is emotionally devastating and brutal, and after that everything is just fine. End of kinda sorta spoilers

The gameplay certainly holds up, and I don't think you can compare this to Just Cause 2 at all. The gameplay style is completely different and they will give you different experiences.

Quote Originally Posted by arccos View Post
    If you haven't played Far Cry 2 first, I'd recommend picking that up first and seeing if you like it. It's a much different game, and well worth your time to see if it rings your bell. Far Cry 3 is more of standard modern semi-open shooter with all its positives and negatives.
    I actually quite liked Far Cry 2 - the environment, the day/night cycle, the music and the animations (guns jamming and falling apart) were all very well done. The permanent enemy checkpoints and the ending, not so much.

The comparison with Just Cause 2 isn't mine - it's just what I've heard. Punching sharks doesn't really sound like my kind of game.
    Last edited by fitzroy_doll; 01-07-2013 at 04:31 PM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Nalano's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Wengart View Post
    1) Money isn't pointless.

[other stuff of this nature]
    "Your subjective opinion is wrong because it doesn't match with mine!"

1) The game is patently easy no matter what weapon you use.

4) You can get rid of the awful minimap but you don't get a "paper map + GPS" like in FC2. It basically suffers from Bethesda syndrome where the world is paused while you fiddle with the menus.

5) They're open-world games where you clear bases off the map. What's the difference?
    Last edited by Nalano; 01-07-2013 at 04:20 PM.
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Director of the Friends of Nalano PAC
    Attorney at Lawl
    "His lack of education is more than compensated for by his keenly developed moral bankruptcy." - Woody Allen

Secondary Hivemind Nexus sonson's Avatar
    I’d pass it over for Blood Dragon.

Blood Dragon takes all the best stuff about Far Cry 3-Hunting animals and people, incredibly smooth and dynamic combat and movement, enjoyable sandbox to play in, gorgeous to look at, slick and responsive controls-turns it up several more notches, adds an enjoyable level of snark, stupidity and general bombast, and completely strips away everything else. Everything else in this instance being pretentious nonsense and an earnest instance of depth and maturity grounded in nothing other than its incredibly vocal and persistent insistence that the stupid game is in fact deep and mature.

The game play, especially when played in the context of a purple cybernetic super commando voiced by Michael Biehn is absolutely brilliant however.

Network Hub
    "Your subjective opinion is wrong because it doesn't match with mine!"

1) The game is patently easy no matter what weapon you use.

4) You can get rid of the awful minimap but you don't get a "paper map + GPS" like in FC2.

5) They're open-world games where you clear bases off the map. What's the difference?

1) Never said it wasn't/couldn't be easy. Although, throwing it onto hard does help a bit. I'm just saying that money is useful if you want to use something other than the starting weapons/don't want to go to all the towers.

4) Sure, but very few games do that. Far Cry 2 is the only game I can recall with that feature. I mean should I list "broken world making" for every game with a menu?

5) Mechanically they are quite different. Just Cause 2 is a third person shooter with heavy vehicle/movement element, poor shooting mechanics, a propensity for being unfun in small skirimishes/when you are not doing absolutely absurd shit.
    Far Cry 3 is a first person shooter that has solid shooting mechanics, is fun in small skirmishes, and has some great environmental combat options.

I mean put these two side by side. I have no idea how you can say these games are the same.

Far Cry 3 is a deeply stupid game. Also read Tom Chick's review and Alec's dissenting opinion on the RPS GOTY pick.

I really should have skipped this one. I'm halfway through it and regret my purchase. There are lots of better open world games and shooters and action games out there.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus SirKicksalot's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by sonson View Post
    Id pass it over for Blood Dragon.

Blood Dragon takes all the best stuff about Far Cry 3-Hunting animals and people, incredibly smooth and dynamic combat and movement, enjoyable sandbox to play in, gorgeous to look at, slick and responsive controls-turns it up several more notches, adds an enjoyable level of snark, stupidity and general bombast, and completely strips away everything else. Everything else in this instance being pretentious nonsense and an earnest instance of depth and maturity grounded in nothing other than its incredibly vocal and persistent insistence that the stupid game is in fact deep and mature.

The game play, especially when played in the context of a purple cybernetic super commando voiced by Michael Biehn is absolutely brilliant however.
    The weapons are shit and once I got over the "lel" factor of the visuals I realised they're awful. It's a dark, ugly as hell game. The linear missions are also shit and I thought the linear stuff was FC3's strong point.

I advise against Blood Dragon. Far Cry 3 is enjoyable enough and it's gorgeous. Buy at bargain bin price. Far Cry 2 is 50 times better.

Network Hub
    On the other hand it was also GOTY for the rest of RPS.

I suggest that you watch some Let's Plays and make a decision off of them.

FC3 is a fun romp in a jungle filled sandbox. It isn't a terribly smart game and if your looking for a great story look elsewhere, but if you want to run around and blow shit up it is a great choice.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus sonson's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SirKicksalot View Post
    The weapons are shit and once I got over the "lel" factor of the visuals I realised they're awful. It's a dark, ugly as hell game. The linear missions are also shit and I thought the linear stuff was FC3's strong point.

I advise against Blood Dragon. Far Cry 3 is enjoyable enough and it's gorgeous. Buy at bargain bin price. Far Cry 2 is 50 times better.
    I advise against this opinion, with the exception of the bit about Far Cry 2.

Not really sure how a game which is primarily made up of bright colours and luminescence can be classed as Dark either.

Network Hub
    I would advise against Far Cry 2. It is an interesting game, but I wouldn't call it good.

Banned
    Most PC gamers can't get into Farcry 3 because it involves young people being adventurous and getting away from their PC screens and thus make any complaint against it they can, especially about the plot.

Its a really fun game and I was surprised at how much so.

Best played with the difficulty setting cranked up.