Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Nalano's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Wengart View Post
    1) Never said it wasn't/couldn't be easy. Although, throwing it onto hard does help a bit. I'm just saying that money is useful if you want to use something other than the starting weapons/don't want to go to all the towers

4) Sure, but very few games do that. Far Cry 2 is the only game I can recall with that feature. I mean should I list "broken world making" for every game with a menu?

5) Mechanically they are quite different. Just Cause 2 is a third person shooter with heavy vehicle/movement element, poor shooting mechanics, a propensity for being unfun in small skirimishes/when you are not doing absolutely absurd shit.
    Far Cry 3 is a first person shooter that has solid shooting mechanics, is fun in small skirmishes, and has some great environmental combat options.

I mean put these two side by side. I have no idea how you can say these games are the same.
    1) Oh, I threw it on the hardest possible once I figured out that nobody shoots for shit and I have a built-in heal mechanic where I can pull out bullets about as quick as they can pump them in me.

4) Like I said, Bethesda syndrome. Y'know, "hey guys, could you stop shooting me for a second while I craft half a dozen healing syringes and stick them in my arm?" Also, Skyrim also desperately needed a paper map, which is why people actually modded one in.

5) Solid shooting mechanics? It's your bog-standard cover shooter, complete with enemies that come straight from the Stormtrooper Marksmanship Academy. I don't give points for "technically competent" anymore. As for environmental combat options, I got bored with that by the fifth Bad Guy Outpost when I saw a CAGE with a TIGER and a BEAR, as if the game was directly telling me, "hey, if you opened this, hilarity will ensue!"

And I compare the two because they're comparable. They really do play similarly, or at least they would if I actually took the time to drive from point A to point B instead of ersatz hang-gliding everywhere like I do in Just Cause 2.

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Swayze View Post
    Most PC gamers can't get into Farcry 3 because it involves young people being adventurous and getting away from their PC screens and thus make any complaint against it they can, especially about the plot.
    Hey, aren't you the guy who wanted RPS to do console games?
    Last edited by Nalano; 01-07-2013 at 05:39 PM.
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Director of the Friends of Nalano PAC
    Attorney at Lawl
    "His lack of education is more than compensated for by his keenly developed moral bankruptcy." - Woody Allen

Secondary Hivemind Nexus sonson's Avatar
    Most PC gamers can't get into Farcry 3 because it involves young people being adventurous and getting away from their PC screens and thus make any complaint against it they can, especially about the plot.

Its a really fun game and I was surprised at how much so.

Best played with the difficulty setting cranked up.
    Huh? Buh? Wha?

Far Cry 2: An immersive-sim that should NOT be played as a power trip game. Crank the difficulty up, do not take an optimal weapon loadout, and set some of your own rules to up the challenge (e.g. permadeath). FC2 is at its most beautiful when its world is punishing you and death is only moments away. This play-style combines with the narrative to create an oppressive tension that is hard to find in most FPS games. Well worth your time.

Far Cry 3: In some ways a stark contrast to FC2. This is a pure power fantasy game. Ignore the adolescent narrative and enjoy the elegant mechanics, combat, lush world, and interesting interplay of systems. Just explore the world and have fun with it. Some of FC2's mechanics seem a bit threadbare after experiencing FC3, but the former provides an overall richer composition. Well worth your time.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus SirKicksalot's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by sonson View Post
    Not really sure how a game which is primarily made up of bright colours and luminescence can be classed as Dark either.
    Bright neon on dark diarrhea backgrounds is painful. I can't stand using the bow, for example. I got tired of the eternal darkness on the island pretty fast and the shitty TV filter got old really fast. As a fan of Speed Racer, Enter the Void and, well, almost everything involving saturated colours, I hated Blood Dragon's colour scheme.

Meanwhile Far Cry 3 is gorgeous, too bad the world isn't as reactive as in FC2.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus coldvvvave's Avatar
    Far Cry 1 - pirated. Hated. Completed because had nothing else to play.
    Far Cry 2 - pirated. Hated with passion. Stopped playing after infinity+1 checkpoint.
    Far Cry 3 - bough full price. Enjoyed. Compelted. Fun game.

Not that I'm saying FC3 is better than FC2 or FC1. But to me it has one great positive - it works properly and lacks giant gameplay flaws. It doesn't have annoying checkpoints or minigun mutants. It's pretty and has some nice music. Story isn't its strong point but well, I don't rememebr FC1 having a story at all.
    Last edited by coldvvvave; 01-07-2013 at 06:24 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Drake Sigar View Post
    You are an enemy of gaming.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus sonson's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by coldvvvave View Post
    Far Cry 1 - pirated. Hated. Completed because had nothing else to play.
    Far Cry 2 - pirated. Hated with passion. Stopped playing after infinity+1 checkpoint.
    Far Cry 3 - bough full price. Enjoyed. Compelted. Fun game.

Not that I'm saying FC3 is better than FC2 or FC1. But well, it works. It doesn't have annoying checkpoints or minigun mutants. It's pretty and has some nice music. Story isn't its strong point but well, I don't rememebr FC1 having a story at all.
    It was because of the sense of well being imparted from buying rather than stealing clearly : )

Quote Originally Posted by AntediluvianArk View Post
    Far Cry 2: ... should NOT be played
    I agree wholeheartedly with the above message. FC3 can't be as terrible as FC2... although, that really isn't saying much.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hypernetic View Post
    I just have an opinion different to your own. Circle jerking is good for no one, be glad somebody isn't afraid to disagree with women on the internet.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hypernetic View Post
    No, you are literally the cancer that is killing gaming.
    Quote Originally Posted by Serenegoose View Post
    Nobody's ever lost sleep over being called a cracker.

I'm just gonna post a video of me taking over a camp:

And an opinion: I fucking love this game. You should defenitely buy it.

Thanks for the feedback. One thing is sure, like Far Cry 2 before it (which was great), this is a game that divides opinion, and what is a feature to some is a flaw to others (the built-in wallhack in the video above a case in point). I can see why people like it, but it doesn't look like this is a game for me.

Quote Originally Posted by fitzroy_doll View Post
    Thanks for the feedback. One thing is sure, like Far Cry 2 before it (which was great), this is a game that divides opinion, and what is a feature to some is a flaw to others (the built-in wallhack in the video above a case in point). I can see why people like it, but it doesn't look like this is a game for me.
    The wallhack and "gaminess" of FC3 isn't the issue for me so much as I sorely, desperately want the protagonist and all his rich idiot friends to die in a fire.
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Attorney at Lawl
    "His lack of education is more than compensated for by his keenly developed moral bankruptcy." - Woody Allen

Quote Originally Posted by Unaco View Post
    Far Cry 2: ... SHOULD ... be played
    I agree wholeheartedly with the above message.

Banned
    The best thing about Far Cry 3 was the smart lean.

That should be an industry standard.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Nalano View Post
    The wallhack and "gaminess" of FC3 isn't the issue for me so much as I sorely, desperately want the protagonist and all his rich idiot friends to die in a fire.
    Rich people are all idiots huh?

Are you daft and/or did you not see two adjectives there?
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Attorney at Lawl

Banned
    Are you daft and/or did you not see two adjectives there?
    I'd love for to explain why they were all idiots, bar the degenerate stoner.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Tritagonist's Avatar
    The order of the words is not random for a reason.

Anyway, Far Cry 3. I only played the standalone Blood Dragon addition to the game, which I enjoyed. However, it didn't persuade me to get the full game because the open-world gameplay that revolved around taking outposts and camps was rather shallow and didn't feel like it mattered at all. I've heard this as a common objection to the main game, too.
    "He has anointed me to bring good news to the poor. He has sent me to proclaim release to
    the captives and recovery of sight to the blind, to let the oppressed go free". ~
    Luke 4:18

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Satire requires parody or exaggeration of a ridiculous farce, preferably with a knowing wink by the performer in the form of irony or sarcasm.

Far Cry 3 is played straight. Because of this, the game is patently unplayable for me.

As for the other two points:

1) You get free guns based on the number of radio towers you fuck with. You automatically do a tower in the first three missions of the game. You are thus never without free guns, making all money pointless.
    3) Deaths don't undo diddly-squat.
    4) The world sucks because the game insists on jarring you out of it every time you a) look at a map, b) craft something, c) look at your tattoo-of-skills, d) check your notes, e) "track" something with your x-ray vision, etc.
    5) Just Cause 2 may have been a better satire because it lampshaded exactly the same sort of "crazy well-armed Yank fucks up a tropical paradise in the name of FREEDOM and MURICA" and then just ran with it. It has better gameplay because of the grappling hook and far more diverse an environment to fuck around with it. Far Cry 3 is too far up its own ass to compete.
    This. Just..pretty much this. Yeah.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Casimir Effect's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by AntediluvianArk View Post
    Far Cry 2: An immersive-sim that should NOT be played as a power trip game. Crank the difficulty up, do not take an optimal weapon loadout, and set some of your own rules to up the challenge (e.g. permadeath). FC2 is at its most beautiful when its world is punishing you and death is only moments away. This play-style combines with the narrative to create an oppressive tension that is hard to find in most FPS games. Well worth your time.

Far Cry 3: In some ways a stark contrast to FC2. This is a pure power fantasy game. Ignore the adolescent narrative and enjoy the elegant mechanics, combat, lush world, and interesting interplay of systems. Just explore the world and have fun with it. Some of FC2's mechanics seem a bit threadbare after experiencing FC3, but the former provides an overall richer composition. Well worth your time.
    I don't know if I've ever agreed with anything more on this forum. This is exactly what I was about to write, being someone who loves both games but FC2 just a bit more. Nothing like playing that game on Infamous and realising just how close you are at all times to being killed. That realism mod doesn't necessarily make things better, but does change it in a way which makes the game worth playing again (kind of a lateral shift).

the game is patently unplayable for me.
    The game is patently easy no matter what weapon you use.
    As someone who works in the field of patents, you're making me cringe so hard my shoulders are molesting my ears.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    It has flaws, but Far Cry 3 is an excellent, generous game, and Ubisoft has done a good job tweaking the game after release (making HUD customizable, adding new difficulty, etc.). I highly recommend it.

Quote Originally Posted by Casimir Effect View Post
    As someone who works in the field of patents, you're making me cringe so hard my shoulders are molesting my ears.
    As a registered sex offender, your misuse of the word "molesting" is offensive to me.
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Attorney at Lawl