Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Network Hub
    And I compare the two because they're comparable. They really do play similarly, or at least they would if I actually took the time to drive from point A to point B instead of ersatz hang-gliding everywhere like I do in Just Cause 2.
    But it is a poor comparison. There are some superficial similarities and that is it.

As for the shooting. It is solid and mechanically capable. It won't blow your mind, but it will be enjoyable for the duration.

I feel very strongly that Far Cry 2 needed another 6 months of development time. There was a glimmer of a great game in there, but you only occasionally saw it.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Nalano's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Wengart View Post
    But it is a poor comparison. There are some superficial similarities and that is it.
    Of course. For instance, Just Cause 2 wasn't embarrassing to play.

As for the shooting. It is solid and mechanically capable. It won't blow your mind, but it will be enjoyable for the duration.
    And like I said, I don't give points for technical competence.
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Director of the Friends of Nalano PAC
    Attorney at Lawl
    "His lack of education is more than compensated for by his keenly developed moral bankruptcy." - Woody Allen

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Jesus_Phish's Avatar
    If the shooting in FC3 is anything like it is in Blood Dragon, which I imagine it would be, then it's not all that great. I found the shooting and QTE melee combat in Blood Dragon to be pretty weak. Overall I liked Blood Dragon, it was short, sweet and different and fun, but it in no way made me want to play FC3.

JC2 on the other hand almost never gets old.
    "Halo is designed to make the player think "I look like that, I am macho sitting in my undies with my xbox""

Steam ID

Quote Originally Posted by Jesus_Phish View Post
    JC2 on the other hand almost never gets old.
    As much as I absolutely loved JC2, I can't agree. They really nailed the fun factor for that game, but even Panaoi's vastness couldn't compensate for how bland much of the details were. I still reinstall it for a bit of tomfoolery, but it doesn't keep me coming back the way a few other games do.

But hey, that's not necessarily bad. A good game doesn't have to keep you hooked forever. If that were the case, then every MMO is engineered to be "good." JC2, on the other hand, was made to be one thing, and that was to be fun.

My only real criticisms for that game are the sameyness of areas/enemies and the ridiculously low ammo pool.

Network Hub
    I'm with Deadly here. JC2 is fun, but it isn't long term fun. I can hop in and play it for an hour or two here and there, but the basic gameplay and the details of the world are really bland.

Just Cause 2 is a game people should own, but it isn't a game I would recommend if they were looking for a new game to play.

I'm with Deadly here. JC2 is fun, but it isn't long term fun. I can hop in and play it for an hour or two here and there, but the basic gameplay and the details of the world are really bland.

Just Cause 2 is a game people should own, but it isn't a game I would recommend if they were looking for a new game to play.
    But Far Cry 3, a game often cited as "It's Skyrim with guns" would be?

JC2 is almost a perfect example of what can be done in an open world sandbox, only limited by your imagination.
    "Halo is designed to make the player think "I look like that, I am macho sitting in my undies with my xbox""

Steam ID

Network Hub
    But Far Cry 3, a game often cited as "It's Skyrim with guns" would be?

JC2 is almost a perfect example of what can be done in an open world sandbox, only limited by your imagination.
    JC2 isn't that. JC2 is a fun open world sandbox game that is limited by game design decisions and a budget. You almost are required to work around the basic gameplay to have fun.

If someone is looking for a game to play. A game to spend hours in I would recommend Far Cry 3 over JC2 because it is "Skyrim with guns" I wouldn't recommend them JC2, because they would hop in and have fun for a few hours (if they make it past the god awful tutorial) and then be done with it.

"Almost required to work around the basic gameplay to have fun" - sorry, but the basic gameplay of JC2 is you are a man with a grappling hook and unlimited parachutes. The extended gameplay is you also get cars, boats, planes, helicopters, tanks, lots of weapons, can have any of them hot dropped to you at almost any time and the entire island contains almost nothing but locations of various destructability ranging from small villages to government power stations and military bases.

How is this not fun for you already? What part of the gameplay do you have to work around to have fun?

Steam ID

How is this not fun for you already? What part of the gameplay do you have to work around to have fun?
    I found the regions, military aggro levels and that whole part of the game were poorly explained, and actively worked to hinder your/my fun at times... Having streams of jeeps turning up, and having to do that f*cking Helicopter hi-jack QTE 3 more times just because I dropped some litter in the proximity of the wife of a former Panuan soldier, really wasn't the most fun... especially as I'd have just done the same thing 5 minutes previously.

It was a good game, but it wasn't flawless.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hypernetic View Post
    I just have an opinion different to your own. Circle jerking is good for no one, be glad somebody isn't afraid to disagree with women on the internet.
    No, you are literally the cancer that is killing gaming.
    Quote Originally Posted by Serenegoose View Post
    Nobody's ever lost sleep over being called a cracker.

Network Hub
    UNACO is pretty spot on.

The game is fun when you aren't clearing out bases and doing the story missions. The game is the most fun when you have a fast vehicle and aren't tied down to a location where streams of soldiers will rush at you.

Which is why I would recommend someone get FC3 or Skyrim over JC2. The core game is much more solid and is more fun long term than what Just Cause 2 offers.

I would certainly say that they should check it out during a sale, or when they have some extra disposal income, but as a game to get engrossed it is a poor choice.

Just three things that make me cringe everytime FC3 is brought up:

-super-grindy crafting system, that forces you to watch the same hunting animations over and over and over... But it's soooo immersive!
    - the abomination that is called a UI. Lots of modding is required to make it bearable (even after the patch). I'm also talking about the terrible sound hints.
    - when playing story you get to a cave at some point, high on a hill, with a tiny entrance. In that cave you and a few other ppl find a boat with a broken engine. You and the few other ppl find it a great idea to get the boat running again to flee that cursed island. How the flying fuck did this get up and in there?! Why exactly that boat when there's gazillion other boats floating around the island?! Consistency and story writing at it's best.

This game ranks very high in my personal charts of most recommended and most personally reviled game. Hope this helps.

The game is fun when you aren't clearing out bases and doing the story missions.
    I actually thoroughly enjoyed the Story missions, mainly because they were the only times you could get someone competent driving the vehicle you were surfing, and do all that natty stuff, and they also felt like the only opportunities to do half the cool things we saw in the trailers with the grapple and vehicles.

But yeah, the base clearing and the streams and streams of soldiers got pretty tedious. Firefights were fun... But firefight after figrefight after firefight not so much.

Kinda like FC2 and the respawning checkpoint guards.
    I just have an opinion different to your own. Circle jerking is good for no one, be glad somebody isn't afraid to disagree with women on the internet.

Quote Originally Posted by Unaco View Post
    But yeah, the base clearing and the streams and streams of soldiers got pretty tedious.
    If there were "streams and streams of soldiers" then you weren't doing it right. I played on the hardest difficulty and cleared all the bases without alerting nearly anyone or allowing any alarms to be set off.

The storymissions did have some neat setpieces but the base takeovers were the highpoint of the game for me. :)

Quote Originally Posted by Henke View Post
    If there were "streams and streams of soldiers" then you weren't doing it right. I played on the hardest difficulty and cleared all the bases without alerting nearly anyone or allowing any alarms to be set off.
    Playing JC2 as a stream of explosions, hijackings, bad accents and building collapses is... not doing it right?

Well done you. I found the Third Person Shooting meant that I couldn't be that slick, and there wasn't really much to do to be Stealthy McSneak... no crouch, no lean, silenced pistol as your only weapon. And the whole point of the game was to 'Cause Chaos', so there was no impetus to not set off alarms and to be stealthy. IIRC there was maybe 1 story mission were you could, maybe, be stealthy, if you grappled right. You could get away with it in a Town if you dropped triggered explosives on everything and were very careful/quick to do it and not be seen. But as soon as you get spotted at a military base they come for you.

Edit: If this is playing the game wrong, I'm glad I didn't do it right.
    Last edited by Unaco; 02-07-2013 at 08:23 PM.

JC2 would've been mind-blowingly brilliant game if the cap on enemy alert level had been two levels lower.

As it is, it's just plain brilliant.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Nalano's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by KwisatzHaderach View Post
    - when playing story you get to a cave at some point, high on a hill, with a tiny entrance. In that cave you and a few other ppl find a boat with a broken engine. You and the few other ppl find it a great idea to get the boat running again to flee that cursed island. How the flying fuck did this get up and in there?! Why exactly that boat when there's gazillion other boats floating around the island?! Consistency and story writing at it's best.

This game ranks very high in my personal charts of most recommended and most personally reviled game. Hope this helps.
    Yessss... let's use this beat up rusted hulk of a schooner on the top of a fucking mountain when there's literally dozens of PT boats and larger vessels that the inhabitants REGULARLY USE FOR SUPPLIES.

But Nalano! If we didn't needlessly waste time in our pet project how would the protagonist learn that on top of being a particularly short-sighted rich douchebag, he really likes being a bloodthirsty green beret wannabe?
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Director of the Friends of Nalano PAC
    Attorney at Lawl
    "His lack of education is more than compensated for by his keenly developed moral bankruptcy." - Woody Allen

Network Hub
    Quote Originally Posted by Unaco View Post
    I actually thoroughly enjoyed the Story missions, mainly because they were the only times you could get someone competent driving the vehicle you were surfing, and do all that natty stuff, and they also felt like the only opportunities to do half the cool things we saw in the trailers with the grapple and vehicles.
    It has been ages since I've played Just Cause 2, largely because I would have to reinstall it and play through the godawful tutorial, so I am probably just mixing up parts of the game.

Lesser Hivemind Node Spider Jerusalem's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Nalano View Post
    Satire requires parody or exaggeration of a ridiculous farce, preferably with a knowing wink by the performer in the form of irony or sarcasm.

Far Cry 3 is played straight. Because of this, the game is patently unplayable for me.

As for the other two points:

1) You get free guns based on the number of radio towers you fuck with. You automatically do a tower in the first three missions of the game. You are thus never without free guns, making all money pointless.
    3) Deaths don't undo diddly-squat.
    4) The world sucks because the game insists on jarring you out of it every time you a) look at a map, b) craft something, c) look at your tattoo-of-skills, d) check your notes, e) "track" something with your x-ray vision, etc.
    5) Just Cause 2 may have been a better satire because it lampshaded exactly the same sort of "crazy well-armed Yank fucks up a tropical paradise in the name of FREEDOM and MURICA" and then just ran with it. It has better gameplay because of the grappling hook and far more diverse an environment to fuck around with it. Far Cry 3 is too far up its own ass to compete.
    the voice of the people.

Obscure Node
    I find Stalker: CoP to be a pretty good alternative to Far Cry 3. It's an open world shooter with better atmosphere, better enemies, better guns and a plot that doesn't make me want to lobotomize myself.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob View Post
    I find Stalker: CoP to be a pretty good alternative to Far Cry 3. It's an open world shooter with better atmosphere, better enemies, better guns and a plot that doesn't make me want to lobotomize myself.
    Glas Naroda.