Page 1 of 61 1231151 ... LastLast
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus

Steam Summer Sale [has started]

OK - I'm pulling the trigger, no new weeklong deals today which I think means the SS starting this week - mostly likely Thursday!?

Makes sense - everyone crammed their releases into last week for some reason!?!

So - what are your hopes and dreams

For me - that they undercut Amazon for starters :)

Secondary Hivemind Nexus pakoito's Avatar
    None of my wishlist games were in the Amazon sale, so cool cool cool Valve, come at me brah. I'm ready.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus gwathdring's Avatar
    I want Fallout: New Vegas with all the DLC to drop by half or more. It usually does, but this time I'll probably get it. I don't want it at full price becasue I already got my money's worth out of Fallout 3 and while it sounds like I'll enjoy at least as much and possibly more, I'd like to keep the price down before buying a game that similar to Fallout 3.

Other than that, I only have about four other games one my wish list and am in no rush to buy any of them. I've got $25 in steam credit, so I foresee nabbing at least two games off that list.
    I think of [the Internet] as a grisly raw steak laid out on a porcelain benchtop in the sun, covered in chocolate hazelnut sauce. In the background plays Stardustís Music Sounds Better With You. Thereís lots of fog. --tomeoftom

You ruined his point by putting it in context thatís cheating -bull0

New Vegas was on a deal with another Bethesda game for 12€ both a week ago. I got it bundled with Dishonored for what I call "a steal". Heck, I didn't even liked Dishonored when I demoed at Gamescom but at a 90% discount who says no.

Quote Originally Posted by pakoito View Post
    New Vegas was on a deal with another Bethesda game for 12€ both a week ago. I got it bundled with Dishonored for what I call "a steal". Heck, I didn't even liked Dishonored when I demoed at Gamescom but at a 90% discount who says no.
    Shit, seriously? Was it the ultimate edition? What service? I don't remember this. I've been watching for it every sale. Curses!
    I think of [the Internet] as a grisly raw steak laid out on a porcelain benchtop in the sun, covered in chocolate hazelnut sauce. In the background plays Stardustís Music Sounds Better With You. Thereís lots of fog. --tomeoftom

The dealer was getgamesgo, says the email. I checked on Steam and yes, NV came with all DLC. Dishonored didn't, sadly.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Heliocentric's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by trjp View Post
    So - what are your hopes and dreams
    Its a short list:
    Fez
    Don't Starve
    Kerbal
    Monaco

edit: Gunpoint
    Yep, looks pretty indie over here.
    Last edited by Heliocentric; 02-07-2013 at 01:51 AM.
    I'm failing to writing a blog, specifically about playing games the wrong way
    http://playingitwrong.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Heliocentric View Post
    Its a short list:
    Fez
    Don't Starve
    Kerbal
    Monaco

Yep, looks pretty indie over here.
    Can I crush your hopes and dreams? Pllllllllllllease?

Network Hub
    Haven't bought any games off Steam for a while, so I have quite a group that I'll be looking at, including:

Fez
    Don't Starve
    FC3: Blood Dragon
    Civ 5: Gods and Kings (does Brave New World come out at some point soon? Maybe that as well.)
    Kentucky Route Zero
    To The Moon
    Call of Juarez: Gunslinger
    Last edited by Track; 20-07-2013 at 06:20 PM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus soldant's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Track View Post
    (does Brave New World come out at some point soon? Maybe that as well.)
    15th of July or something, I doubt they'll put it on sale though.

Honestly this time I don't even have a plan, I'm just going to play it by ear.
    Nalano's Law - As an online gaming discussion regarding restrictions grows longer, the probability of a post likening the topic to the Democratic People's Republic of Korea approaches one.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus vinraith's Avatar
    My goal is to, once again, pass the sale without buying anything. I've managed that twice now, and it's easier each time, so I'm confident I'll manage.

Edit: OK, having now made $20 off of selling imaginary trading cards to rubes, the new goal is simply not to spend any real money during the Steam sale.
    Last edited by vinraith; 09-07-2013 at 06:57 PM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus neema_t's Avatar
    My goal is to set the budget - £30 - and stick to it. I have a very short list this year and £30 could cover a good selection even at non-discount price (i.e. Monaco, Gunpoint, Surgeon Simulator, Cart Life), but we'll see. I often get a bit carried away, and my wishlist has 32 items on it.

Quote Originally Posted by vinraith View Post
    My goal is to, once again, pass the sale without buying anything. I've managed that twice now, and it's easier each time, so I'm confident I'll manage.
    That was my goal, but I've since been subsidized (wasn't just cards, I ditched my handful of marketable TF2 cosmetics).

Secondary Hivemind Nexus somini's Avatar
    Frankly, I'm waiting on a discount to try Remember Me, but if there isn't I can wait. Other than that, my gaming needs are fulfilled till the end of times.
    Steam(shots), Imgur, Bak'laag, why do you forsake me?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus neema_t's Avatar
    The X3 games are on sale because it has just been ported to Linux, I believe. Not sure if that counts as a weekly or not, Valve did the same whenever they launched one of their games for Mac too.

Activated Node
    Ah, okay, would be very happy for that to be the case!

Secondary Hivemind Nexus The JG Man's Avatar
    I can see it starting on Thursday to match up with Independence Day. Incidentally, I think I might spend Thursday afternoon watching that because WELCOME TO EARF! My list is closed this sale because I pledged to myself that I wouldn't buy any more games, sale or not, until I'd cleared further into my backlog. I have not, so I won't, although the list is plentiful. All the games I want will be on sale at Thanksgiving or Winter anyhow, so it's not like it's a big deal. Also in the winter I'll have new Pokťmon, so, yes...

Anyhow, here's the template first post I kept from the last Steam sale thread. trjp, feel free to copy it into the first post, or not.

Game Rules:
    1. Leave it to the last day of the sale to buy something you want unless it is a daily or flash deal. This reduces the chances of you missing out on further savings.
    2. Before you buy a game, ask yourself if you’ll actually play the game. A game that is bought for 75% off but never played is a waste of 100%.
    3. Make sure the game matches your value, not necessarily the price given. Remember, a game will always be cheaper in the future, unless it is already at its cheapest rate. Given how long it takes to get to this stage, what are a few more months of potential waiting?

Also consider this incredibly important point:
    Do you have a backlog? How about how many active games? Chances are yes and “quite a few”. With that in mind, are you actually going to be playing the games you get any time soon? If not, it’s not really worth getting them right away when you have other things you’ve already invested in. You might find that the hype you had for a game was just that.

General thread stuff:
    1. Please ask about games you’re interested in. There’s a whole forum out there of people, many of whom are likely to have played the game you’re thinking of.
    2. Feel free to post impressions of games that are on sale so that people can see what they’re getting involved with.
    3. Keep general bargains from other sites in the bargains thread.
    3a. Unless it’s because they’re doing a better offer than something on Steam. Amazon US seem to be attempting to price-match (or beat) Steam, so look out for that.

It is worth noting that Amazon US do currently have a sale on, so do check that out.