Page 36 of 61 FirstFirst ... 26343536373846 ... LastLast
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus pakoito's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TechnoJellyfish View Post
    That won't do, unfortunately. Steam accounts are not tied to a specific region; what you can and cannot buy is determined by the location your IP is associated with.
    I have done it before, so I have to disagree.

http://store.steampowered.com/?cc=us
    http://store.steampowered.com/?cc=it
    http://store.steampowered.com/?cc=de
    http://store.steampowered.com/?cc=es
    http://store.steampowered.com/?cc=uk
    http://store.steampowered.com/?cc=jp

You need to use a paypal account matching the country. It's Valve's legal way of purchasing when abroad, but just not publicized. And you can add and play the games without limitation.
    Last edited by pakoito; 16-07-2013 at 11:01 AM.

Obscure Node
    I'm tempted to try dishonored, any thoughts, will it go cheaper than 66% off?

If you are not willing to spend $10 on Dishonored, you really don't deserve to play it anyway.
    - If the sound of Samuel Barber's "Adagio For Strings" makes you think of Kharak burning instead of the Vietnamese jungle, most of your youth happened during the 90s. -

Lesser Hivemind Node TechnoJellyfish's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by trjp View Post
    Which means it's MUCH easier to buy stuff because a proxy takes seconds to configure.
    I think Steam might also check where your credit institution is registered and refuse to process if it doesn't match the country you're pretending to be from.

Does it then munge what you can and cannot PLAY though?
    That's usually not an issue, although I remember reports from people that activated Russian retail keys of CoD: MW2 via the use of a VPN and Steam refused to launch the game when they used their real IP. But that's more or less an isolated problem.

Quote Originally Posted by pakoito View Post
    You need to use a paypal account matching the country. It's Valve's legal way of purchasing when abroad, but just not publicized. And you can add and play the games without limitation.
    Oh alright, I stand to be corrected, then. Interesting to know, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Winkle View Post
    I'm tempted to try dishonored, any thoughts, will it go cheaper than 66% off?
    To answer your question. No. It's on a daily deal right now, which is the cheapest it will get. (It will actually go up in price when the daily deal ends).

As for the game, I really enjoyed it; it felt like a cross between Thief and Half Life 2. You should know whether you like this sort of game - chances are if you enjoy games like Deus Ex or Thief then you should like Dishonored.

I've heard people complain that it's too easy or short - most likely they went the ultraviolent route. Crank up the difficulty, play it stealthily and it's superb.
    Last edited by airtekh; 16-07-2013 at 11:47 AM.

Mirror's Edge can do with some criticising, but the reasons given surprised me. I played the game for the first time a couple months ago. I enjoyed it, but it's not without a few frustrations.

The city and all of the levels are annoyingly empty of people and life save for the occasional train to splatter you and the police that spawn to shoot at you.

Speaking of shooting: it sucks. It's horrible. This isn't a shoot-em-up game, it's mechanics for it are abysmal, so why in the name of Xenu do they make you have to do it? This is the biggest bone of contention I had with the game. While the shooty bits cropped up far too often, they were generally pretty short. Except for the snipers, that was just shit.

I didn't have a problem with the timing and jumping about playing with KB+M, and I'm a terrible platformer. As in proper terrible. I never played them growing up so I didn't develop the twitchy responses needed.

It's not without it's flaws, but I did enjoy playing it. And at this price, I'd recommend it to anyone.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus neema_t's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Monkeyshines View Post
    This is the biggest bone of contention I had with the game.
    You're a bone of contention

Yeah, the shooting does suck but that's pretty well-documented, and it is weird how Faith only seems to go running around on Sundays when no-one's at work in their big fancy skyscrapers. As for the bits on ground level, I always just pretended it was really early in the morning. Like really early.

I too suck at timing in platformers (and I did play them growing up; Sonic The Hedgehog was my jam until the Playstation came out) but Mirror's Edge made me feel like a professional most of the time. I have a weird relationship with ME, though, I go months upon months without touching it then I pick it up, play it a lot for a couple of days, then retire it again. I don't know why because I do really like it.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus thegooseking's Avatar
    I remember that Peter Molyneux, of all people, said that Mirror's Edge was a nice idea with a shaky implementation. I mean, the guy must be an expert on nice ideas with shaky implementation. He's certainly had enough experience.
    "Moronic cynicism is a kind of na´vetÚ. It's na´vetÚ turned inside-out. Na´vetÚ wearing a sneer." -Momus

Lesser Hivemind Node TechnoJellyfish's Avatar
    Mirror's Edge can do with some criticising, but the reasons given surprised me.
    That someone described it as a "twitch platformer" made me actually shake my head in disbelief ...

Speaking of shooting: it sucks. It's horrible. This isn't a shoot-em-up game, it's mechanics for it are abysmal, so why in the name of Xenu do they make you have to do it?
    Actually ... they don't. The game is beatable without firing a single weapon even once. I did so myself and there's even a achievement for it in the console versions.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Mirrors Edge left me cold - the reason being that I like investigating stuff and completing everything and it makes that a chore...

If you're willing to skim the game and just pull-out the bits you like, there's fun to be had for sure - but I maintain the idea of a first-person platformer is bloody stupid in the same way a first-person RTS would be.

i wonder if wargame airland battle worth buying? by that i mean would a complete noob have a chance in multiplayer (which seems where most of the appeal is, in this game), without investing tons of hours learning all the hundreds of units etc.

Actually ... they don't. The game is beatable without firing a single weapon even once. I did so myself and there's even a achievement for it in the console versions.
    fuckin interesting.jpg

I was not aware of that.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Mirrors Edge left me cold - the reason being that I like investigating stuff and completing everything and it makes that a chore...

If you're willing to skim the game and just pull-out the bits you like, there's fun to be had for sure - but I maintain the idea of a first-person platformer is bloody stupid in the same way a first-person RTS would be.
    C&C Renegade was actually pretty fun. Also Natural Selection unless I misread the game.

but I maintain the idea of a first-person platformer is bloody stupid in the same way a first-person RTS would be.
    Battlezone was really good for its time (1998) and that was a FPS/RTS, even something like Hostile waters comes close to RTS territory.

I've heard good things about the original F.E.A.R. game, any thoughts on how it holds up?
    Last edited by SirDavies; 16-07-2013 at 02:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by palindrome View Post
    Battlezone was really good for its time (1998) and that was a FPS/RTS, even something like Hostile waters comes close to RTS territory.
    Or Uprising.
    - If the sound of Samuel Barber's "Adagio For Strings" makes you think of Kharak burning instead of the Vietnamese jungle, most of your youth happened during the 90s. -

Quote Originally Posted by Internet View Post
    Also Natural Selection unless I misread the game.
    Most of the time you play Natural Selection from an FPS perspective, but the player who takes the commander role plays it like an RTS.

It combines both genres.

Quote Originally Posted by SirDavies View Post
    I've heard good things about the original F.E.A.R. game, any though on how it holds up?
    FEAR 1 is a decent shooter; if you're into shooters you can't go wrong. Meaty weapons, decent AI and a few scares to be had as well. The level design is horribly uninspired (mostly bland warehouses and office interiors repeated ad nauseum) but isn't a huge problem.

Haven't played the sequels so can't comment on them.

Network Hub
    Quote Originally Posted by grasskit View Post
    i wonder if wargame airland battle worth buying? by that i mean would a complete noob have a chance in multiplayer (which seems where most of the appeal is, in this game), without investing tons of hours learning all the hundreds of units etc.
    If you're coming from a background in C&C, Company of Heroes and Supreme Commander, maybe one of the biggest differences is how easy it is for your units to die. In a lot of those earlier games I mentioned, it can take several shots before you lose a tank, whereas in Wargame, one (or sometimes two) hit(s) from an ATGM or another tank is almost always a guaranteed kill.

Quote Originally Posted by airtekh View Post
    FEAR 1 is a decent shooter; if you're into shooters you can't go wrong. Meaty weapons, decent AI and a few scares to be had as well. The level design is horribly uninspired (mostly bland warehouses and office interiors repeated ad nauseum) but isn't a huge problem.

Haven't played the sequels so can't comment on them.
    If you'd have asked me I'd have given exactly the same answer, minus the complaints about the environments. Even though they are incredibly samey, they make for decent tactical combat zones so it didn't bother me.

Although I hear that Fthreear is barrels of fun in co-op.

The flash sale for the FEAR games is over already but you can still get the FEAR collection at the same 75% discount for the next 27 hours, it seems.
    Last edited by LTK; 16-07-2013 at 02:05 PM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus The JG Man's Avatar
    Long quote-a-thon incoming. Apologies.

Let's say I'm not at all interested in competitive multiplayer and would primarily play it for the campaign, should I get Dawn of War II Gold Edition (which contains Chaos Rising) or should I go directly for Retribution and skip the rest? Both options are equally priced in my region.
    First of all, I'd emphasise this:
    Quote Originally Posted by Hiphat View Post
    The Gold Edition contains GFWL so if you particular hate towards that then I would skip them, Retribution scrapped GFWL and just went for Steam instead.
    That said, I do think the campaign in DoW2 and CR are much better than that of Retribution's. You don't need GFWL for that part of it, although you will encounter it on your way to play. There's a caveat to this though; Retribution's campaign isn't bad, it's just the part where they highlight "Every faction has a playable campaign" is a bit of a misnomer because they're all almost exactly played out the same, but for the first time it's pretty good. There's also The Last Stand co-op mode that's present in all three, but is most played through Retribution because of its access to the most heroes and DLC.

Depending on how much you care for the lore of 40K/DOW series, I'd actually be pretty confident in saying get the complete DOW2 collection, played through the story in order, then enjoy The Last Stand which might take quite a bit of your time. When I first got this PC, I paid at retail ú45 for the box-set of DOW2, CR and the recently released Retribution. I put 24 hours into DOW2/CR and 86 into Retribution, so I feel I've got my money's worth and I've played maybe 2 hours of competitive MP in Retribution.

I found it fun throughout, with some genuinely fantastic levels that really showed off the scale and ridiculousness of WH40K.

Mirror's Edge can do with some criticising
    I do want to highlight that in my praise of Mirror's Edge, I did say it wasn't for everyone and I do acknowledge that I have may have pushed someone to spend a few quid on a game, an experience, they will ultimately find a waste. I do think the game is worth trying though just because of how original it is, generally speaking, not to mention a bit of fresh air.

Curiously, I remember reading somewhere the justification for why the shooting sucks; Faith isn't trained to fire a gun! Brilliant!...except that doesn't necessarily make for fun. It's why I'm not altogether unhappy about Mirror's Edge 2's trailer showing off melee combat (although a gun is present for a split second, although that might've just been a disarm) because I felt that worked and at least made a little more sense. I don't want it to burden down that game, but still.

And has been said, there's only one time you're required to fire a gun and that's during what is essentially a cut-scene. You can - and I highly recommend should - play the game without firing a gun because running away in this game is so damn satisfying. It's like The Matrix, except you're playing it.

Quote Originally Posted by SirDavies View Post
    I've heard good things about the original F.E.A.R. game, any though on how it holds up?
    The story is pants, the graphics go between acceptable and okay and it does get a tad repetitive with how many offices you blow up. That said, the gunplay is stonkingly great, enemy AI is interesting and blowing up offices looks god damn cool. Play it on the hardest difficulty setting and constantly use your slow-mo. Great, great fun.