Page 37 of 61 FirstFirst ... 27353637383947 ... LastLast
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus gundato's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by airtekh View Post
    FEAR 1 is a decent shooter; if you're into shooters you can't go wrong. Meaty weapons, decent AI and a few scares to be had as well. The level design is horribly uninspired (mostly bland warehouses and office interiors repeated ad nauseum) but isn't a huge problem.

Haven't played the sequels so can't comment on them.
    FEAR 1 is definitely a solid shooter. It reminds me, to a degree, of AvP2 in that you have a sense of tension in that you realize that you are actually fairly evenly matched with your opponents so it is all about staying alert, watching your flanks, and conserving ammo. You need to use cover, stay calm, and identify threats quickly.
    The expansions are not canon and are pretty weak and much more unbalanced than the original. I suggest skipping them.

FEAR 2 is also a solid shooter, but for very different reasons. If FEAR 1 is the shootout at the end of Unforgiven, FEAR 2 is a game all about The Lobby Scene from the only Matrix movie. Bullets fly everywhere, stuff is constantly exploding, and it is glorious.
    The expansion/DLC is nothing special, but if you enjoyed FEAR 2 you'll enjoy that.

Never played FEAR 3, been on my to-do list for a while.

Also: None of the games are scary unless you were indoctrinated by hollywood and japan to such a degree that the mere sight of a little girl with dark hair makes you poop yourself. Otherwise, FEAR 1 is mostly "Aww, its Alma here to say hello" (outside of one sequence in the first expansion that actually IS somewhat tense and scary) and FEAR 2 is "God damn it, crazy Alma is attacking me again" with one particularly great sequence at the end "Wait... is she... yup, she is raping me. Wow"
    Steam: Gundato
    PSN: Gundato
    If you want me on either service, I suggest PMing me here first to let me know who you are.

As said, FEAR 1 & 2 are solid shooters. Liked them both. Worth the 9.99 EUR I paid for the complete package in the 2012 Summer Sale. Still need to play FEAR 3 though.

Lesser Hivemind Node TechnoJellyfish's Avatar
    Thx @ Tritagonist, Hiphat, The JG Man!

I got Reus from the dev's site/Humble Store (saved ~ 1.20 vs. Steam's EUR price in the process).

As for DoW: I think I may skip it entirely for now (nothing to do with the feedback, BTW).

Quote Originally Posted by The JG Man View Post
    That said, I do think the campaign in DoW2 and CR are much better than that of Retribution's. You don't need GFWL for that part of it, although you will encounter it on your way to play. There's a caveat to this though; Retribution's campaign isn't bad, it's just the part where they highlight "Every faction has a playable campaign" is a bit of a misnomer because they're all almost exactly played out the same, but for the first time it's pretty good. There's also The Last Stand co-op mode that's present in all three, but is most played through Retribution because of its access to the most heroes and DLC.
    I've been playing the campaign of DoW 2 and CR in co-op with my brother. Great fun, works really well.

FEAR is probably still the best FPS out there. FEAR 2 is the second best. FEAR 3 does not exist.

Hmpf ... I had my eyes on both The Secret World and DmC, but 50 % off? I'd rather not.

How nice. The Secret World is on sale on the US store but not elsewhere. I was prompted to go look as my client (based in Singapore currently) left a spot empty and so did the European store. Will buying it through the US store flag my account in any way?

And yes Techno, DMC is really quite a cool game and even though I've played it tons.. I don't suggest shelling out $25 if you aren't an enthusiast.

I have to say, this has been a boring sale so far.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus pakoito's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TheDreamlord View Post
    I have to say, this has been a boring sale so far.
    Same here.

Quote Originally Posted by Battlehenkie View Post
    How nice. The Secret World is on sale on the US store but not elsewhere.
    Definitely available in Europe. The empty spot is caused by the missing Football Manager 2013 in my case.

Quote Originally Posted by Battlehenkie View Post
    And yes Techno, DMC is really quite a cool game and even though I've played it tons.. I don't suggest shelling out $25 if you aren't an enthusiast.
    I surely am not an enthusiast so yepp, that's what I thought.

Somewhat hidden deal: You can get all the older Assassin's Creed titles at 75 % off.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by TechnoJellyfish View Post
    Thx @ Tritagonist, Hiphat, The JG Man!

I got Reus from the dev's site/Humble Store (saved ~ € 1.20 vs. Steam's EUR price in the process).

As for DoW: I think I may skip it entirely for now (nothing to do with the feedback, BTW).
    How are you finding Reus? I'm very interested in a god game.

Quote Originally Posted by TechnoJellyfish View Post
    Definitely available in Europe. The empty spot is caused by the missing Football Manager 2013 in my case.
    Ah. I only looked for the empty spot. It still makes no sense to me how games can be so regionally locked that they cannot be bought through Steam. I was even tempted by the -75% deal on Hitman: Absolution yet the store signified I can only buy and play the game in South-East Asia. That will be a useful addition to my game library for when I move out of Singapore and go elsewhere...

Secondary Hivemind Nexus The JG Man's Avatar
    Today's recommendations:

Alan Wake - So I thought it was okay. The gameplay was repetitive, the story fell flat, but the atmosphere was great and the environments were well done. At 90% (!!!) off it's probably worth it for a try. I recommend if you do play it though that you play it on the hardest difficulty to give it some element of challenge. The stand-alone-sequel I can't comment on, nor the DLC for the first. I've heard the DLC makes more sense of the story, which I think is both good and bad.

Crysis - BUT CAN YOU RUN IT?! I enjoyed all of Crysis, even the second half and that one hated level at the end, but I also accept that I'm an anomaly in that case. The open nature of it meant, that for me, I kept repeating the tactics that worked, so early on it got a bit repetitive. Imagination will help here. Gameplay - the suit provides loads of fun options - and the gunplay is high calibre. Warhead is more linear, but I think a tighter and possible more fun experience. Mostly more of the same, however. 2, on the other hand, is much more linear than any with a bit of a hokey sci-fi story. That said, I still found it highly enjoyable and the level design, whilst narrower for sure, was still open for variable tactics. The MP is arena based in the style of COD4+. Probably doesn't have many people playing now.

(So, that's a go for Crysis 1, Warhead and a recommendation for 2, but acknowledging it's a different game to the original)

Devil May Cry 4 (I haven't played 3 or DmC [but have played 1]) - The game basically repeats itself in the second half, with an arduously repetitive penultimate level, but the action is hyper focused and extremely cool. Requires a real level of high skill to obtain the higher grades, but the satisfaction of pulling off certain combos is great. Dante's scenes and dialogue are ridiculously stupid and awesome. That other guy, whose name I've forgotten, is lame in comparison but has a cool specific move that works well in combat. (DMC 3 and 4 are 75% off instead of 50, and you can get them in a bundle that saves a couple of quid.)

Serious Sam - WARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR! So yeah, 90% off? Jeez. Buy everything. No, seriously - Serious Sam Complete Pack, buy it. SS First Encounter and Second Encounter (HD) are stonkingly great and equally challenging, whilst SS3 is a step-down from both, but still great in the current climate of shooters. The DLC for it I can highly recommend as the best content 'in' SS3. Double D is a fun side-scroller that very much carries the tone of SS and its highly silly weapon stacking is actually surprisingly complex when used. Haven't played Random Encounter, but there you go.

(Specific recommendations there: SSFE, SE HD, SS3+DLC)