Page 39 of 61 FirstFirst ... 29373839404149 ... LastLast
Results 761 to 780 of 1204
  1. #761
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    3,544
    Quote Originally Posted by Tikey View Post
    Rule number something of steam sales: Never buy something you won't play until the next sale.
    Given that it's pretty much agreed the Steam sales are getting progressively worse, I'm not sure that's wise any more.

  2. #762
    Out of interest, is there anyone else that is applying the logic that I am? When I see a game on sale that looks to be a great first person experience I delay the buy. The reason being I think it'll be better with the Oculus Rift and the price will most likely be lower later anyway. I've found myself doing this with Dishonored and Antichamber so far.

    On another note. The base price for Skyrim is really a bit of a joke at $60, so despite it being -40% off I can't really buy it. I know that it includes the DLC but.. really? Seems like Bethesda is going the Activision route.

  3. #763
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus gundato's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    5,331
    For those, like me, who are annoyed they missed the Civ5 DLC sale that was later apologized for, GMG has a 30% off coupon that applies to Brave New World. 3% difference, but is still pretty good

    Quote Originally Posted by Battlehenkie View Post
    Out of interest, is there anyone else that is applying the logic that I am? When I see a game on sale that looks to be a great first person experience I delay the buy. The reason being I think it'll be better with the Oculus Rift and the price will most likely be lower later anyway. I've found myself doing this with Dishonored and Antichamber so far.

    On another note. The base price for Skyrim is really a bit of a joke at $60, so despite it being -40% off I can't really buy it. I know that it includes the DLC but.. really? Seems like Bethesda is going the Activision route.
    Skyrim with DLC is at 60. Skyrim itself is at 30. This is the same pricing model Bethesda has been doing since Morrowind.

    Release game, wait until it gets to "budget" price, do a re-release that includes DLC/expansion.
    Steam: Gundato
    PSN: Gundato
    If you want me on either service, I suggest PMing me here first to let me know who you are.

  4. #764
    Skyrim is chock full of Skyrim. You don't need the DLC, it's mostly frills anyway.

  5. #765
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    3,544
    Quote Originally Posted by Battlehenkie View Post
    On another note. The base price for Skyrim is really a bit of a joke at $60, so despite it being -40% off I can't really buy it. I know that it includes the DLC but.. really? Seems like Bethesda is going the Activision route.
    In the UK the box is cheaper on Amazon.

  6. #766
    Lesser Hivemind Node Similar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    972
    gnh. Missing Dragon Age Origins - Ultimate for the second time now. First time was because Steam was completely overloaded and now it's because my bank or Paypal, or both, is very slow to get money transferred.
    Maybe it's a hint.

  7. #767
    Lesser Hivemind Node TechnoJellyfish's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    550
    Quote Originally Posted by TheDreamlord View Post
    I really want MK but I think I'll wait for a better sale later in the year. Anyone played it?
    nuuvem has it listed for R$ 49.99 which translates to € 16.91/£ 14.62/$ 22.23 and it's not even a special offer.

  8. #768
    Network Hub TheDreamlord's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    London
    Posts
    421
    Quote Originally Posted by TechnoJellyfish View Post
    nuuvem has it listed for R$ 49.99 which translates to € 16.91/£ 14.62/$ 22.23 and it's not even a special offer.

    is that a Brazilian website? Would't steam have an issue registering a key in the UK that was bought from south american website?

  9. #769
    Network Hub TheDreamlord's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    London
    Posts
    421
    Everyone vote for Van Helsing for next flash sale please!!!!

  10. #770
    Lesser Hivemind Node TechnoJellyfish's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    550
    I posted this a few days ago:

    Quote Originally Posted by TechnoJellyfish View Post
    A quick search through the Steam database turns up all subscriptions that include Mortal Kombat Komplete Edition:

    Code:
    SubID	Name		Last Updated
    61	Steam Master	about 17 hours ago
    62	Press Master	2 days ago
    27552	Steam Sub 27552	2 months ago
    27603	Steam Sub 27603	2 months ago
    27616	Steam Sub 27616	2 months ago
    27740	Steam Sub 27740	2 months ago
    28159	MK Retail	3 days ago
    28925	Mortal Kombat Early Access	8 days ago
    29006	Mortal Kombat Komplete Edition	3 days ago
    There are no region specific entries, so I'd guess there's just one worldwide version.
    Quote Originally Posted by TechnoJellyfish View Post
    The purchasing process is incredibly straight forward which is a bit baffling, considering the fact that I don't speak a single word Portuguese. They don't even ask for a full address and are satisfied when provided with first and last name, date of birth and a valid e-mail address; at no point did I have to pretend to be a Brazilian gentleperson.
    I bought Hitman: Abomination and Wargame: Electric Eels and they registered on Steam just fine.

  11. #771
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Jesus_Phish's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Dublin, Ireland
    Posts
    4,222
    Anyone else notice that the flash sales are smaller? Instead of four games, last night there was two and now there's three? And only two choices for community vote. Can't remember this happening before.
    "Halo is designed to make the player think "I look like that, I am macho sitting in my undies with my xbox""

    Steam ID

  12. #772
    Lesser Hivemind Node TechnoJellyfish's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    550
    I see four deals. But yeah, only two options for the vote ...

  13. #773
    Lesser Hivemind Node Fanbuoy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    The Capital of Scandinavia
    Posts
    990
    Yeah, I've registered a Nuuvem key as well, no problems. Can anyone tell me what the third game up for voting is? I see Van Helsing and Walking Dead.

  14. #774
    Lesser Hivemind Node Similar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    972
    Quote Originally Posted by Jesus_Phish View Post
    Anyone else notice that the flash sales are smaller? Instead of four games, last night there was two and now there's three? And only two choices for community vote. Can't remember this happening before.
    I'm seeing Half-Life 2, Torchlight II, Defiance and Music Creator 6 right now. The last flash sales had four too.

    The community choice only has two games, though, which is a first.

  15. #775
    There's four flash sales for me: Music Creator 6, Defiance, Torchlight II and Half-Life 2. But you seem to be right in that there are only two up for the community vote: The Walking Dead and Van Helsing. I don't see any others on various steam stores.

    Also, this is day 6 I believe, and the sheer repetition in which deals come up in the flash+community vote is a little disturbing.

    EDIT: Similar beat me to it :(. Off to comfort myself and play some Dota.

  16. #776
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus soldant's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Terra Australis Incognita
    Posts
    4,440
    Quote Originally Posted by deano2099 View Post
    Given that it's pretty much agreed the Steam sales are getting progressively worse, I'm not sure that's wise any more.
    Thing is though most of us probably already have what we want. There are only so many times you can offer discounts on Surgeon Sim 2013 or whatever, and sales seem to be repeating themselves. The ultra new stuff doesn't get a discount and we've mostly purchased everything else already... and there'll be a big end of year sale anyway and you're almost guaranteed to get the same deals again at some point then.

    Really, the sale is its own worst enemy. We buy up in the initial sales and then there's nothing much else to buy. This sale I've only really purchased a few pieces of DLC or games that I want in my Steam collection, and even then I haven't spent much at all. Some things I even financed by selling off trading cards.
    Nalano's Law - As an online gaming discussion regarding restrictions grows longer, the probability of a post likening the topic to the Democratic People's Republic of Korea approaches one.
    Soldant's Law - A person will happily suspend their moral values if they can express moral outrage by doing so.

  17. #777
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Tritagonist's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Holland
    Posts
    1,539
    Quote Originally Posted by deano2099 View Post
    Given that it's pretty much agreed the Steam sales are getting progressively worse, I'm not sure that's wise any more.
    There might have been bigger discounts on larger bundles in the past (there doesn't seem to be much attention for bundles this time around), though I'm not sure of that, but I think the main change is the ubiquity of sales. There is more competition and they have equal or better sales (GOG, GMG, Amazon), and sales on Steam and other outlets are so frequent that the number of 'newly discounted' games is quite small. Steam has its Weekend Deal, Daily Deal, and Midweek Madness. GOG always has a rather large Weekend Sale, and GMG is always offering one thing or another - and has that coupon thing going on. This has certainly made the Steam sale less impressive and notable.

    As to Tikey's point about not buying something you won't play until the next sale, it seems based on the assumption that the same game will one day be on sale again - and probably even for less than it is now. I can't think of many cases where this hasn't been true, so it seems a decent idea. It also addresses another point: I also wouldn't be surprised if some of the jadedness is the result of certain people having come to see sales as a collection game rather than a chance to finally get that one long-awaited great game.
    Last edited by Tritagonist; 17-07-2013 at 11:21 AM.
    "He has anointed me to bring good news to the poor. He has sent me to proclaim release to
    the captives and recovery of sight to the blind, to let the oppressed go free". ~
    Luke 4:18

  18. #778
    Network Hub
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    115
    I did, but I wasn't sure if I should grab it or wait. Have decided to wait until it hits €10 and I've actually played through more of Oblivion.

  19. #779
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus thegooseking's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Three miles from the nearest bus stop
    Posts
    1,097
    Quote Originally Posted by Tritagonist View Post
    As to Tikey's point about not buying something you won't play until the next sale, it seems based on the assumption that the same game will one day be on sale again - and probably even for less than it is now. I can't think of many cases where this hasn't been true, so it seems a decent idea. It also addresses another point: I also wouldn't be surprised if some of the jadedness is the result of certain people having come to see sales as a collection game rather than a chance to finally get that one long-awaited great game.
    Actually, I think it makes sense to buy a load of cheap games rather than the game you really want. If there's a game I know I really want, I don't have a problem paying full price for it. If I don't really know whether I'll like it or not, then the price is a risk. As I hinted before, sales don't, to me, make games more worth the price; they make them more worth the risk. It's a subtle distinction, but it does make a big difference as to which games I'm buying in sales.
    "Moronic cynicism is a kind of naïveté. It's naïveté turned inside-out. Naïveté wearing a sneer." -Momus

  20. #780
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    1,530
    Quote Originally Posted by thegooseking View Post
    Actually, I think it makes sense to buy a load of cheap games rather than the game you really want. If there's a game I know I really want, I don't have a problem paying full price for it. If I don't really know whether I'll like it or not, then the price is a risk. As I hinted before, sales don't, to me, make games more worth the price; they make them more worth the risk. It's a subtle distinction, but it does make a big difference as to which games I'm buying in sales.
    If you haven't been able to buy a ton of games recently, then it's the best of both worlds. A load of cheap games you really want. The real issue with Steam sales for me isn't Amazon, who's prices are mostly comparable in the US. It's Humble Bundle. They have insane deals that single games can't really match and they give a steam key.

    The reticence of many indie groups to provide a decent sale is strange though. Don't Starve is one I've been watching for, and it never gets a good sale.
    Last edited by Internet; 17-07-2013 at 12:09 PM.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •