Page 27 of 61 FirstFirst ... 17252627282937 ... LastLast
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Tritagonist's Avatar
    It's been about eight months since release, but seeing Hitman: Absolution at €6,24 gives me the strong impression that this game has been, to put it mildly, a disappointment for the publisher. Understandable, to be sure, but also interesting. I suppose having a big name isn't all it's sometimes made out to be.

It actually seems to be somewhat of a theme today. Eador and Sanctum weren't very warmly received either from what I've gathered. Remember Me was only released a while ago, too, but I never gave it any attention so I'm unsure as to how it was reviewed.

As for today's sales, Total War: Shogun 2, Portal 2 and ArmA 2 are all very solid games. Hitman: Absolution isn't as good as earlier games in the series, but for €6,24 it's a pretty decent experience. Fallout: New Vegas supposedly has most if not all the things I'd like in an open world RPG, but I found it incredibly hard to get into.

Quote Originally Posted by SirKicksalot View Post
    ... a game that bombed so hard.
    I guess that answers my question about the way Remember me was reviewed!
    Last edited by Tritagonist; 14-07-2013 at 06:25 PM.
    "He has anointed me to bring good news to the poor. He has sent me to proclaim release to
    the captives and recovery of sight to the blind, to let the oppressed go free". ~
    Luke 4:18

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Kelron's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Tritagonist View Post
    It's been about eight months since release, but seeing Hitman: Absolution at €6,24 gives me the strong impression that this game has been, to put it mildly, a disappointment for the publisher. Understandable, to be sure, but also interesting. I suppose having a big name isn't all it's sometimes made out to be.
    They were selling it for 5 a couple of months after release.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by vinraith View Post
    Am I the only one that thinks discounting pre-release titles like Kerbal is nuts?
    Under the Ocean is deeply discounted - end of the day, it's just a way of getting more people into the pre-order in the way you'd get more people into the final game.

You think it's "killing future sales" but it's really not, people buy things when they want them and at the price they think they're worth - there's always another sale - it's more publicity for the title - it's all good, really.

The only thing you shouldn't do is shaft your existing supporters perhaps - but early adopters ALWAYS get shafted...

Network Hub
    Am I the only one that thinks discounting pre-release titles like Kerbal is nuts?
    I still think the idea of even trying to sell access to alpha/betas is ridiculous, nevermind them then being discounted in the Steam sale.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Deadlight - YES

Now VOTE FOR GUNPOINT FOR GOD'S SAKE

Yes, TL2 and Don't Starve are great but VOTE FOR GUNPOINT.

Yes, what ^ that ^ guy said.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by Davkaus View Post
    I still think the idea of even trying to sell access to alpha/betas is ridiculous, nevermind them then being discounted in the Steam sale.
    Why??......

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    I think at that point they're not even pre-release any more. They just use that as something to fall back on while they add new features.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Drake Sigar's Avatar
    And there's EA being EA with The Sims 3 being both the most expensive (if you don't count Remember Me's price for a couple of quid more, which is a brand new game) and oldest title on there. 4 years. You'd think by now they would flog the base game for pennies to generate more interest for the new high price expansion packs. Or does that just make too much fucking sense?
    Last edited by Drake Sigar; 14-07-2013 at 07:07 PM.

Holy hairy ball theorem, The Sims 3 is listed as €45?! Are they insane? Who in their right mind pays that much for a game that's four years old, especially if you're getting it from Steam?

This does seem like a good time for people like me to pick up the Ultimate version of Fallout: NV, since I never bought any of the DLCs. But I don't think I will. F:NV was fun while it lasted but I don't have any particular desire to go back to it, even with the prospect of a plethora of mods available. I'm already buying enough games I haven't played, I don't need to add games I have played to those.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus neema_t's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by deano2099 View Post
    Gunpoint at 40% off is one of the options to vote for, not a bad deal given it's only a few weeks old.
    As I said in my last post, that's an instabuy for me. Even if it doesn't happen now it'll be in a daily or flash at some point I'm sure. The only reason I didn't pick it up at launch was that the demo didn't have resolution options, then when I found out there were res options patched in it was squarely within an 'imminent summer sale' date. Even if it hadn't been discounted throughout the sale I was going to pick it up on the last day anyway. Same goes for Monaco, is there a demo for that?

I don't know, is there a difference? In fact, surely it makes more sense to try and bring more money in before the game is finished so the money made from a pre-release sale can be used to fund the game and improve it, therefore it'll launch in a healthier state and so more people might buy it than they would otherwise?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    While true, the game is playable to a large extent. So it's more like "buy now as is, and hope for even more additions". That kind of purchase I'm happy with. It's like buying a starter, for the cost/price of a starter, then the chef being so nice they bring out the full 3 courses as well. :)

PS, at that price, I actually got 2 gift copies (for others, already gifted :P ).
    Last edited by TechnicalBen; 14-07-2013 at 07:28 PM.

Except then you have to wait six months for the main dish because the cow first has to grow large enough to be made into steak.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus vinraith's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by neema_t View Post
    I don't know, is there a difference? In fact, surely it makes more sense to try and bring more money in before the game is finished so the money made from a pre-release sale can be used to fund the game and improve it, therefore it'll launch in a healthier state and so more people might buy it than they would otherwise?
    We've gone from "steep discounts on old games" to "steep discounts on new games" to "steep discounts on games that haven't been released yet." Devaluation run rampant has some very unpleasant consequences down the road.

Lesser Hivemind Node TechnoJellyfish's Avatar
    As long as it is made perfectly clear what you get as a customer and what not I don't see a problem with that practice per se.

Quote Originally Posted by LTK View Post
    Except then you have to wait six months for the main dish because the cow first has to grow large enough to be made into steak.
    Yes and no. There are some games that are playable right now, and quite fun and entertaining to boot. Just happens that devs want to add even more stuff. So you might just be interested in the game just like it is right now, the new things are just cherries on top. This seems to be the case of Kerbal.
    Obviously there are other games that are truly in alpha and have a long way to go yet (Kinetic Void for example).

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Drake Sigar's Avatar
    We've gone from "steep discounts on old games" to "steep discounts on new games" to "steep discounts on games that haven't been released yet." Devaluation run rampant has some very unpleasant consequences down the road.
    Indeed, this seems rather self-destructive. I'd be happy with just the first one.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Sakkura's Avatar
    Such as? It seems like the devs can make more money with lower prices.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus pakoito's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sakkura View Post
    Such as? It seems like the devs can make more money with lower prices.
    Development is way cheaper now too, and open for everyone.

To me it seems strange that kerbal "isn't released yet" considering I played it months ago and it seemed pretty much done, even if they want to add more content. Kind of like how minecraft was pretty much done back in alpha when I bought it.
    It seems like steam early release is more like "we want money but our game is too buggy right now, we're going to slap a greek symbol on the front of it so we can sell it anyway."