Page 29 of 61 FirstFirst ... 19272829303139 ... LastLast
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Got the system shock 2 remake. That game is absolutely terrifying.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by vinraith View Post
    We've gone from "steep discounts on old games" to "steep discounts on new games" to "steep discounts on games that haven't been released yet." Devaluation run rampant has some very unpleasant consequences down the road.
    I think if it's been on Steam for a few months, you can pay for it, and you can play it, then it's been released. Regardless of whatever 'early access' nonsense the developers are using as an excuse for bugs or to avoid review scores until they add more content.

I suppose my only point is "enjoy it while it lasts."
    It's not a sustainable model, but lets face it, the games industry hasn't been running on a sustainable model for over a decade now. At least this model benefits the consumer.

2) people keep hording: since supply is limitless prices continue to fall.
    As has been observed in this thread though, the sale seems to suck this summer. And that is because prices are clearly creeping back up again. Gone are the days of ridiculous 90% off Steam offers. Sure, 75% is still a deep discount, but we're seeing an increasing number of titles sticking to a 50% discount this time round when you might expect higher.

Flip side of all that is that PWYW bundles are everywhere now, but still.

It's interesting to hear that opinion of Amazon, too. How is what they're doing different from what Steam is doing/has done in the past (honest question)?
    Valve have a stake in making sure Steam keeps attracting the best devs. Yes, they'll cock it up and they're slow to fix it (hello Greenlight) at times but their intent is still there. I'm not saying this is a good thing as a whole, really. Just sort of saying how they work-ish. This is why you still see games -not- discounted in the sales. Because there's no requirement to discount.

Amazon don't have that compulsion, they're only interested in games as commodities to have lots of, sell them cheap. And removing your control over pricing because Amazon want the pricing that benefits them the most, not the pricing that might benefit you as a developer. It'll always benefit the customer in that they'll get the best prices, deepest discounts and whatever else because Amazon don't even care if it makes a profit, they certainly don't care if anyone else does.

That scares the shit out of me.
    My actions are in no way born out of some sort of Darwinist offensive
    I just get a bit fidgety times

Secondary Hivemind Nexus vinraith's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by deano2099 View Post
    I think if it's been on Steam for a few months, you can pay for it, and you can play it, then it's been released. Regardless of whatever 'early access' nonsense the developers are using as an excuse for bugs or to avoid review scores until they add more content.
    Yeah, that's probably the right way to look at it.

It's not a sustainable model, but lets face it, the games industry hasn't been running on a sustainable model for over a decade now. At least this model benefits the consumer. As has been observed in this thread though, the sale seems to suck this summer. And that is because prices are clearly creeping back up again. Gone are the days of ridiculous 90% off Steam offers. Sure, 75% is still a deep discount, but we're seeing an increasing number of titles sticking to a 50% discount this time round when you might expect higher. Flip side of all that is that PWYW bundles are everywhere now, but still.
    I tend to think something more like scenario #1 (a slow down in consumption prompting a correction) is the more likely one and yes, there's pretty clear evidence (more than I'd realized) that #2 isn't happening.
    Last edited by vinraith; 15-07-2013 at 01:21 AM.

Network Hub
    Quote Originally Posted by deano2099 View Post
    As has been observed in this thread though, the sale seems to suck this summer. And that is because prices are clearly creeping back up again. Gone are the days of ridiculous 90% off Steam offers. Sure, 75% is still a deep discount, but we're seeing an increasing number of titles sticking to a 50% discount this time round when you might expect higher.
    Or... you just raise the fucking base price before slapping a big sticker on it. Refer to Sins Rebellion for example, base price conveniently jumped 25% before the 66% sale

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Nalano's Avatar
    Nothing I want is for sale that I haven't already purchased :C
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Director of the Friends of Nalano PAC
    Attorney at Lawl
    "His lack of education is more than compensated for by his keenly developed moral bankruptcy." - Woody Allen

Yeah, same here today. Mildly tempted by Sanctum 2 but I'm not sure I'm in that much of an urgent need for -more- Sanctum. The first seemed to do its job amply.
    My actions are in no way born out of some sort of Darwinist offensive
    I just get a bit fidgety times

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Latest Community Choice shows just how fucking stupid the Steam Community is - arseholens...

Secondary Hivemind Nexus neema_t's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by trjp View Post
    Latest Community Choice shows just how fucking stupid the Steam Community is - arseholens...
    My thoughts precisely. Except I have no idea what an arseholen is.

Well, as much as I wanted to see Tom Francis' reaction to the wave of money rolling at him, I haven't seen TL2 this cheap. Also, it'll come up another day, and the anticipation has risen.

Who doesn't have Torchlight 2 already? I was hoping to get my hands on some Gunpoint window-shattering action for cheap! Oh well, maybe I'll buy it full price, it's not that expensive anyways.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus vinraith's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by RobF View Post
    Valve have a stake in making sure Steam keeps attracting the best devs. Yes, they'll cock it up and they're slow to fix it (hello Greenlight) at times but their intent is still there. I'm not saying this is a good thing as a whole, really. Just sort of saying how they work-ish. This is why you still see games -not- discounted in the sales. Because there's no requirement to discount.
    Is that still true, really? From outside, at least, it increasingly looks like Steam are the gate keepers that control whether a game succeeds financially or not. If you get on Steam, you have a chance, if not, good luck sucker. With that much power, it really seems like the devs are desperate to please Steam, not the other way around. Things like Greenlight look like a direct symptom of that, in fact.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    TL2 was cheaper at launch (around 7 via a GG discounted 4 pack on these very forums) than it managed to be for eons - but it's cheapest to-date was around 5

Of course there's always http://isthereanydeal.com/#/page:gam...n=torchlightii

So many bargain hunting tools...

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Sketch's Avatar
    Damn, Gunpoint would have been all mine if it'd been voted in.
    steam: sketch

I dunno, I got TL2 via a 4-pack at launch for I think 11€, for Gunpoints Special Edition I paid about the same, and I'm not sure which I had more fun with...

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Steam sells games to people who don't bother to look anywhere but Steam - and there's a LOT of those people so it's a good thing to be able to tap into.

I could list a few games which have made it to Steam and still haven't really sold all that well/their developers wouldn't consider them as 'successful' still tho - it's not a magic bullet.

Making a successful game requires so many different things to come together and work - building anticipation, getting people to talk about your game, ticking all the boxes people expect and so on.

There are so many things you have to do to be successful but the whole thing reminds me of a cartoon I had pinned to my 'VDU' (PCs had barely been invented) in my first job.

http://thenamiracleoccurs.files.word...5/miracle2.jpg

Everything really works like that - Steam exists somewhere inside the magic box.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus sabrage's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by trjp View Post
    Everything really works like that
    Dating must be a carousel of Christmases for you.

Is that still true, really? From outside, at least, it increasingly looks like Steam are the gate keepers that control whether a game succeeds financially or not. If you get on Steam, you have a chance, if not, good luck sucker. With that much power, it really seems like the devs are desperate to please Steam, not the other way around. Things like Greenlight look like a direct symptom of that, in fact.
    I think greenlight is completely useless both for the consumers and the devs alike. Steam always has the last say, so in the end it's just like a surveying tool for Valve instead of something community-driven. It also means that the superpopular minecraft "inspired" games get the spotlight while many good games that aren't so popular and might have had a chance with the previous system are completely forgotten. If Steam is a platform that makes games successful, then requiring them to be successful before getting into the platform seems counterproductive, and it undoubtedly harms the quality and variety of the games on offer.

Sorry for the offtopic here :P

Secondary Hivemind Nexus SirKicksalot's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by gundato View Post
    Total Biscuit did a good video on that game that basically sums up the problems.
    Total Biscuit played it for 15 minutes and he's a cunt.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by sabrage View Post
    Dating must be a carousel of Christmases for you.
    I'd say dating probably has more factors which are outside your ability to influence than almost anything else - e.g. the "and then a miracle occurs" stuff is most of the flowchart.

That said, I've not done it for 26 years - has it changed much?