Page 3 of 61 FirstFirst 123451353 ... LastLast
    Lesser Hivemind Node
    Quote Originally Posted by Heliocentric View Post
    He owns all from your "do not want" list. And he regrets buying them.

And I assume, for a similar reason to me trying to resist buying them.

I think this year I'm going to add an "impulse buy" guilt reducing penalty... every time I impulse buy a game that I'm clearly not going to play anytime soon, I'll match the amount as a donation to some charity. As surely there are people out there who deserve a donation more than Valve and well paid game designers? And if I'm buying a digital product that I'm not even going to download, then that's essentially the same as just donating money to Valve Actually, if a few people want to join in, we could keep a running total for good causes.

* please note: this is in no way intended to say that you should feel guilty for buying games. Especially if you're going to actually play them! I'm not judging anybody! Just want to make that clear.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Heliocentric's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by riadsala View Post

* please note: this is in no way intended to say that you should feel guilty for buying games. Especially if you're going to actually play them! I'm not judging anybody! Just want to make that clear.
    If you don't play them you should feel a deep and terrifying despair which shakes your very soul.

Be careful when you stare to into your backlog because your backlog stares back into you.
    I'm failing to writing a blog, specifically about playing games the wrong way
    http://playingitwrong.wordpress.com/

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Tritagonist's Avatar
    One of the enjoyable parts of the Steam sales has often been the discovery of ridiculously cheap games that are perhaps best described as being in the 55%-65% Metacritic range: those games you might have heard of but never wanted to pay full price for because of their significant shortcomings. But the multitude of bundles have sort of undercut that part of the 'event'. I expect this year's Steam Summer Sale to be significantly less offensive to my gaming budget as a result.

Quote Originally Posted by trjp View Post
    So - what are your hopes and dreams?
    The two games highest on my Steam Wishlist are the following two expansions: The Elder Scrolls V Skyrim: Dragonborn, and Might and Magic Heroes VI - Shades of Darkness.
    "He has anointed me to bring good news to the poor. He has sent me to proclaim release to
    the captives and recovery of sight to the blind, to let the oppressed go free". ~
    Luke 4:18

I'm mainly trying to buy games from their humble widget these days (current watchlist: Capsule, The Bridge, Reus). Not much on Steam. Except the big one's: I'll be the one on the lookout for XCOM:EU. Also maybe Rogue Legacy and Teleglitch.
    Last edited by elephant god; 02-07-2013 at 11:22 AM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus neema_t's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by elephant god View Post
    Teleglitch.
    On Steam?

Oh 10char, I hardly knew ye.

well. I expect Paradox's Die More edition to appear on steam.
    I guess what I'm saying is, I want my games on steam, but I rarely buy them there anymore.

I'll buy Dishonored, Far Cry 3, Skyrim and probably some other stuff if it gets below the 10 euroweeniedollars mark.

Which is my Golden Rule for buying any game.

Still got a huge backlog though, but a pretty low guilt...

Secondary Hivemind Nexus sonson's Avatar
    Nothing. Would have said Borderlands 2 but no point without the DLC and there will be a GOTY edition along soon I'm sure. Was interested in Conquistador but not at anything less than a fiver, which it won't be, and I'm trying to ensure the decks are cleared for Rome II anyway so would be pointless to buy anything just now.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    I would find it hard to say no to Bioshock:Infinite 50% off or Metro Last Light, but am thinking its too soon, they may be 25% off :/

Maybe Remember Me or Devil May Cry too. I want big games in the steam sale or games I missed over the year that I wasn't sure about but would be worth a punt.

The little indie games are usually cheap enough on release to pick along the way without a sale. That said, there are a few that I have had an eye on, like StarDrive, The 39 Steps, Monaco.

The big question is will early access games go on sale?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Drake Sigar's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by sonson View Post
    Nothing.
    You said it. I might revist my shelves again. Almost bought Space Marine last year but they didn't discount it enough and now I'm not that bothered anymore even if it was going for pennies. I expect to go through the same song and dance with Metro Last Light this year and end up on GoG playing 20 year old games instead.

Lesser Hivemind Node TechnoJellyfish's Avatar
    I used to set aside 50-70 bucks to stock up on games for the rest of the year during Steam's summer sale ... but I don't see myself spending all that much this time around. Because a) backlog, b) the amount of money I thrown in GoG's direction recently and c) I expect Valve to continue its new "We don't do deep discounts anymore" policy and therefore the summer sale to be as underwhelming as last year's winter sale.

That said, I'd definitely get Antichamber, Monaco, and Gunpoint as well as DmC, Wargame: EE and Call of Juarez Gunslinger if reasonably priced.

Well, I haven't bought much this year so far and the last two Steam sales didn't see much attention from me either. Indeed, most of my money seems to be going to kickstarter these days.
    Besides Far Cry 3 and Blood Dragon there isn't much I want. Anno 2070 maybe but that was never an option in the past because of the ludicrous 60€ price tag. Some indies could be of interest such as Dust but besides from that there's only a couple of DLCs I want to annex.

I like how downbeat this thread is. Two years ago it would have been "Steam sale -- yaaayyyy!!1" and now people seem more likely to say "meh," citing a lack of time or giant backlog.
    Last edited by Jams O'Donnell; 02-07-2013 at 02:46 PM.

I'm waiting for Gunpoint and Antichamber.
    I'll try to keep my purchases to those titles only. But I'm weak and easily convinced to buy stuff I'll play years later if it's stupidly cheap.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Nalano's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jams O'Donnell View Post
    I like how downbeat this thread is. Two years ago it would have been "Steam sale -- yaaayyyy!!1" and now people soome more likely to say "meh," citing a lack of time or giant backlog.
    PC Gaming should count as a victory that everybody's plate is so full that they can't possibly have another bite.

Either that or we all desperately need jobs that actually pay us enough to have free time.
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Director of the Friends of Nalano PAC
    Attorney at Lawl
    "His lack of education is more than compensated for by his keenly developed moral bankruptcy." - Woody Allen

Obscure Node
    I already bought the Thief bundle over at GoG, and I bought Endless Space during its weekend sale. (hope I don't regret that when the Summer Sale hits, but I am enjoying it, so whatever) So really, the only purchases I'm considering for the rest of the YEAR are:

Divinity: Dragon Commander
    Monaco
    Endless Space: Disharmony
    Watch Dogs (but only after Christmas)
    Metro: Last Light (only if it's so cheap it's criminal)

Only Monaco and Disharmony are likely to go on sale to a satisfactory level, so... problem solved. And I'll be buying Dragon Commander from Larian or GoG anyway.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus gwathdring's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by sonson View Post
    Nothing. Would have said Borderlands 2 but no point without the DLC and there will be a GOTY edition along soon I'm sure. Was interested in Conquistador but not at anything less than a fiver, which it won't be, and I'm trying to ensure the decks are cleared for Rome II anyway so would be pointless to buy anything just now.
    Amazon has all the the whole Borderlands family for super cheap. $20 gets you the game, the season pass DLCs, and the first game--but it's a great deal even if you're not interested in the first game. I'm sure it will all be yet cheaper in the future. They have The Mechromancer for a dollar, though, and the Psycho for $5 so you can get everything but the cosmetic DLCs and the Creature Slaughter Dome for $26.
    I think of [the Internet] as a grisly raw steak laid out on a porcelain benchtop in the sun, covered in chocolate hazelnut sauce. In the background plays Stardustís Music Sounds Better With You. Thereís lots of fog. --tomeoftom

You ruined his point by putting it in context thatís cheating -bull0

I'm definitaly getting all the Defense Grid DLC I don't own yet. DG really was the only game that kept my attention apart from NS2 and Dishonored lately.

I might jump onto a -66%+ discount on BS:Infinite, Magrunner, CoJ:Gunslinger, Metro: Last Light or Sanctum 2. Though I doubt any of them will go that low.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Quote Originally Posted by Jams O'Donnell View Post
    I like how downbeat this thread is. Two years ago it would have been "Steam sale -- yaaayyyy!!1" and now people seem more likely to say "meh," citing a lack of time or giant backlog.

two many games being released, and the business model supports quantity of quality. I'd much rather see far fewer, but better games being released, but there are only a couple of studios that have that luxury. I think Creative Assembly are a good example here. I'd much rather see them release half as many Total War games, using the extra time to bring the game mechanics and AI up to the same standard as the visuals. But of course, that would lose them money. [and of course, a downside to fewer, but better games is that there would be less choice, so maybe having more, but less good games is better as people can chose the exact flavor of MOO clone space 4x game they want to play :p]

Therefore, it's to be expect that there's a lack of excitement around big sales. Most of us already have enough games in our steam library. And the people who've cleared their backlog, well, the new games on offer are mainly pretty incremental updates on the games they've already spent hundreds of hours playing.

There aren't many games that I'm looking for nowadays, so my list is mostly indie or smaller scale titles. Well, that and Dota 2 is my main multiplayer game right now, so none of those, really.

- Don't Starve
    - XCOM: Enemy Unknown
    - Skyrim: Dragonborn ($10 or less)
    - Gunpoint, maybe?
    - FarCry3: Blood Dragon
    - The Bridge
    - GRiD 2, since my friend keeps bugging me to play it with him (only if it's cheap, but it's new, so ...not likely)

That's... about it, I guess? It's a much shorter list than I might have thought, but I'll take that as a good sign. Some small titles might tempt me during the sale and I may get them if they're cheap enough. Other than that, I'm not very needy these days and my time isn't as plentiful.
    Last edited by deadly.by.design; 02-07-2013 at 03:19 PM.