Page 31 of 61 FirstFirst ... 21293031323341 ... LastLast
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus thegooseking's Avatar
    I don't know. Fez is an older game (even if its new on PC) so a lot of the initial buzz about it has died down. That could work in Monaco's favour. The buzz about NS2 seems pretty low-level to me by comparison, but maybe that's just because of where I'm looking.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus neema_t's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by thegooseking View Post
    I don't know. Fez is an older game (even if its new on PC) so a lot of the initial buzz about it has died down. That could work in Monaco's favour. The buzz about NS2 seems pretty low-level to me by comparison, but maybe that's just because of where I'm looking.
    The way I see it, the average Steam user will be all like this:

Monaco - I don't get it, it looks shit, it's expensive. I won't vote for this for these reasons.
    Natural Selection 2 - Even though it was on sale not that long ago (certainly less than a month back), looks like a first person survival horror shooter, those are cool. Not too expensive.
    Fez - Cheapest. Must buy all games. Doesn't matter what they are as they'll never get played. I will vote for this for this reason. It's not as if I remember what happened on the first day of the sale as I've been too busy buying everything to actually look at what I'm buying.

I hope I'm wrong, but the average Steam user gets all stupid when there's a vote on.

Lesser Hivemind Node TechnoJellyfish's Avatar
    While we're at it: Let's say Monaco does indeed win the vote (if not, I'm sure it'll be back at a later time), is anyone up for sharing a 4-Pack? If purchased directly on Steam, the US pricing would be the most favourable, but there's also the possibility to get it via the Humble Store which charges in USD anyway. They're currently matching the 33 % discount but I'm not sure if they'll do the same for the 8 hour period the community deal would last.

Quote Originally Posted by neema_t View Post

I hope I'm wrong, but the average Steam user gets all stupid when there's a vote on.
    its not steam users, its consumers in general. you cant expect a mass of people to collectively make smart/informed decisions. voting result being for whichever offers the best deal seem pretty expected to me.
    not that it matters much, since im pretty sure same games will appear or have appeared on daily deals anyway

so far ive bought:
    sr3, quite fun with a controller (felt like shit controlling with kb+m when i previously tried it). as a hardcore pc gamer, using controller is still a fresh experience,
    chivalry - just constant happy grin inducing medieval brawler. looks and sounds amazing as well actually.

so far ive been tempted to buy, but resisted:
    shogun 2 - rome 2 is close, plus setting is just not doing it for me
    new vegas - great deal, will never have enough time to play it
    the cave- i like doublefine, dont like puzzle or platformers, will never play more than few hours
    brutal legend - jack black, doublefine. fairly meh as a game .

also waiting for old gods dlc deal
    Last edited by grasskit; 15-07-2013 at 12:01 PM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    I generally vote following this lines:

- Its some game horrible? avoid voting it.
    - I don't have the game, and I want it? vote for it.
    Of the rest (generally 3 options)
    - Not vote games that everybody already own
    - Not vote games that are already cheap enough
    - Avoid voting bad games
    - Vote the resulting game

Monaco vs Fez.

I think Fez is a game everyone can enjoy, and its kind of a art game. Monaco its fun for 20 min, maybe one hour. Maybe a few days if you play with friends. But only a minorit have access to friends that play the same games as you.

I want everyone to see Fez, but I don't feel the same about monaco. I would probably vote Fez.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Whats up with Kentuky Route Zero? will not get a sales?

Quote Originally Posted by grasskit View Post
    its not steam users, its consumers in general. you cant expect a mass of people to collectively make smart/informed decisions. voting result being for whichever offers the best deal seem pretty expected to me.
    not that it matters much, since im pretty sure same games will appear or have appeared on daily deals anyway
    You're assuming people are acting according to any logical axiom in these votes. Plenty of people vote for the sake of getting cards, they may do it randomly, they may vote for the game they already have and like, and so on. I'm not going to buy any of the three games on the current community vote, so I have no stake in it, but I voted NS2 anyway, without a very good reason for it.

Lesser Hivemind Node TechnoJellyfish's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Tei View Post
    Monaco vs Fez.

I think Fez is a game everyone can enjoy, and its kind of a art game. Monaco its fun for 20 min, maybe one hour. Maybe a few days if you play with friends. But only a minorit have access to friends that play the same games as you.

I want everyone to see Fez, but I don't feel the same about monaco. I would probably vote Fez.
    I don't think it's about quality in this case, it's more about the fact that FEZ has been a daily deal on day 2 and was on sale for practically the entire weekend (full 48 hours) at the exact same discount.

Quote Originally Posted by LTK View Post
    You're assuming people are acting according to any logical axiom in these votes. Plenty of people vote for the sake of getting cards, they may do it randomly, they may vote for the game they already have and like, and so on. I'm not going to buy any of the three games on the current community vote, so I have no stake in it, but I voted NS2 anyway, without a very good reason for it.
    still, i think, percentage of people voting randomly is not significant. especially since its usually not that difficult to predict what will win (e.g either cheapest deal or some popular indie game), meaning there is a pattern of logical thought

oh and lets not forget sometimes theres whole regions where certain game is just not available, leaving a choice of 2
    Last edited by grasskit; 15-07-2013 at 12:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tei View Post
    Monaco is fun for 20 min
    What? For me it felt like a confusing mess until I was like 3 hours in, and then awesomeness ensued. I wouldn't describe it as a game you can just play for less than an hour and be done with it.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    We can assume that not everyone is voting randomly, because there are people not voting randomly in this conversation. If some people are voting randomly, then the share of votes across each game should be roughly equal from them. In this case, the remaining people who care about which game gets chosen will determine the difference, even if they are not the majority of voters.

I voted for Fez because I missed the weekend deals.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by SirDavies View Post
    What? For me it felt like a confusing mess until I was like 3 hours in, and then awesomeness ensued. I wouldn't describe it as a game you can just play for less than an hour and be done with it.
    I was never confused with monaco, other than the hard to use special skills of some of the classes, that make the game hard for a lack of usability. But other than that, never confused. You hide in brush, and you collect "diamonds" and you avoid the guards. And thats all that you need to understand.

You never dies, but if the whole team get unconcious in a bad spot, could be hard to escape from that.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Tritagonist's Avatar
    You're assuming people are acting according to any logical axiom in these votes.
    I do think most people are voting for something they would want to buy, would want others to buy or games they enjoyed in the past. Some might vote randomly, and others will vote for whatever seems to them to be the most amusing to do. Looking at other online polls, I'm quite sure there's at least a sizeable number of people in that last category. The guys voting 'Latest iTunes update made me switch to LINUX!' on MacFans.com, I suppose.
    "He has anointed me to bring good news to the poor. He has sent me to proclaim release to
    the captives and recovery of sight to the blind, to let the oppressed go free". ~
    Luke 4:18

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    People clearly vote for their favourite game - the idea that people would consider others in this decision makes no sense, people choose things for themselves.

Online multiplayer games will always have an advantage too - people who own them will vote for them in the hope of getting more 'meat'.

There must be about 3 people on earth who might want L4D2 and haven't bought it yet tho!!

The next winner will be harder to choose as there's no obvious popular choice - NS has the multiplayer card, Monaco the depth of discount - I don't think it'll be Fez given the fact it's already been a daily but the community has proven it's stupidity before...

Quote Originally Posted by trjp View Post

There must be about 3 people on earth who might want L4D2 and haven't bought it yet tho!!
    considering dead island apparently is not available in germany and warz being shit - you get whole german region voting l4d2 by default

I wanted Gunpoint to win. Now I want Monaco to win. Stop forsaking me Steam Community!

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Heliocentric's Avatar
    I voted L4D2 to spite warz developers (who imo should be kicked off steam).
    I'm failing to writing a blog, specifically about playing games the wrong way
    http://playingitwrong.wordpress.com/

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Sparkasaurusmex's Avatar
    I voted NS2 anyway, without a very good reason for it.
    Yay! It really is such a good game. I voted for it even though I own it because it needs more people to discover it. Not everyone is going to like it, but some people will buy it and fall in love. It does have a committed community, but I don't think it is as large as the game deserves.

edit:
    Online multiplayer games will always have an advantage too - people who own them will vote for them in the hope of getting more 'meat'.

Just read this after commenting above. Quite accurate!

Secondary Hivemind Nexus thegooseking's Avatar
    People clearly vote for their favourite game - the idea that people would consider others in this decision makes no sense, people choose things for themselves.
    More than once I've had to choose between three games I already own in these things (although I think only once in this particular sale so far). In that case, yes, I really do consider which one I think other people would like the most.

On the "not sustainable model / limited demand", in my opinion game demand has the potential to explode at least a couple times. A lot of age groups / geographic areas are not buying a lot of games - even now that it's pretty big, it's only gone from very niche to a bit less niche...
    Looking for you daily bundle fix? Join us on The onward march of bundles
    Stalk my Steam profile, or follow my fight against the backlog on HowLongToBeat.

"You take the Klingon's detached hand"