Page 34 of 61 FirstFirst ... 24323334353644 ... LastLast
    MIRROR'S EDGE.

Also, can't buy everything, so... Knife of Dunwall vs. Max Payne 3 vs. Reus. Any opinions? NS2 sounds tempting too, but... It will have to wait for another sale.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus neema_t's Avatar
    I liked Max Payne 3 quite a lot, sure the incessant cutscenes got right up my tits but the rest was all good, too tired to elaborate, sorry. I've just bought Knife of Dunwall myself, not entirely sure why as I haven't finished Dishonoured yet, I also got NS2 and Organ Trail because... Err... Steam sale. To be fair, in addition to these purchases the only other thing I've bought so far is Surgeon Sim.

I'm proud of myself.
    I've only bought Antichamber and then proceeded to play it right away.
    Waiting for Gunpoint and I might buy Monaco if three of my friends jump on the bandwagon.
    I'm tempted by Dishonoured, but I'll wait for the next sale.

With Assassins Creed III being in today's vote, how well does it play on the PC? I'm thinking of getting the special edition if discounted to play the dlc (cheaper then buying the dlc for my xbox copy), but I heard some negative things about the port when first released.

Quote Originally Posted by AlexClockwork View Post
    Also, can't buy everything, so... Knife of Dunwall vs. Max Payne 3 vs. Reus. Any opinions? NS2 sounds tempting too, but... It will have to wait for another sale.
    How much did you like Dishonored? Knife of Dunwall is more Dishonored. But it's toned down a bit. It has a different protagonist, slightly different weapons and abilities, new enemies, somewhat less impressive level design, and a less epic scope since there's no hub level and no real sense that you're on a righteous quest. It's a good map pack with an OK-sure-whatever story slapped on.

How much do you like fairly good cover-based TPS games? Max Payne 3 is a fairly good cover-based TPS. I wouldn't pay more than $10 (current price over here) for it, but at that price it might be worth it for you.

The first hour is "Oh my but this is fun," stabilizing after that around "kinda samey but still entertaining," with a few high points of "holy shit I'm the most badass badass to ever bad an ass" (hello entire airport level) and a couple of "this is the cheapest laziest enemy design possible, did you forget to finish this part of the game?" low points (minigun minibosses, of which there are, thank sweet fuck, only 2). The cutscenes and acting are, by game standards, genuinely good. Around the level of a solid guilty-pleasure action movie.

To be honest, it only has a few ideas, and none of them are terribly original - it just happens to implement them pretty well. I had a lot of fun and then frankly felt kind of empty afterward. It's memorable but I also doubt I'll ever play it again. And I'd say it overstays its welcome by about an hour. I wrote a screed about it that will probably answer none of your questions.

Just definitely don't buy it because you're a fan of the first two, if that's an issue, because it's not Max Payne 3. It's the Cynical South American Adventures of Maximal Payneington The Third, who just happens to have the same voice as Max Payne.
    Last edited by GunnerMcCaffrey; 15-07-2013 at 09:51 PM.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Just a heads up Reus is matched on the devs site - http://www.reusgame.com/buy/ you get a steam key, and its through humble

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    My god, they've almost made me spend the price of a single new game! And in the process bagged Torchlight 2, The Witcher 2, Dishonored and Mirror's Edge. Can't say I'm too upset.

Thanks for the answers, they were really helpful! Seems like I'll be waiting for a bigger sale to get Max Payne 3, but I really liked Dishonored, so I guess I'll have fun with Knife of Dunwall. About Reus... I might buy it straight from the Humble store, I'm really curious about it.

Quote Originally Posted by vinraith View Post
    ME is one of those games with a very vocal fan base that's for a very specific type of person.
    This, and I'd recommend having a very precise idea of the limitations and design flaws of the game: unless you're pretty sure you can look past them (it can be a really frustrating experience, if you can't), you're better off watching it on youtube in HD for free. It is pretty to look at... more than it is having to figure out whatever the game wants you to do while baddies shoot at you and having to watch cut scenes over and over again until you do.

Also whenever there's glass around, it slows down to a crawl on my aging AMD card because of some PhysX thing or whatnot.

Quote Originally Posted by trjp View Post
    Alms will now explain how PC-based gaming will 'explode' when PC sales are in sharp decline...
    I like how you ask me to explain things then go ahead and do it yourself. It's very nice of you ^^

Anyway, in the western world almost everybody has at least a notebook, but how many of those machines are actually being used to play a game every now and then? computer games are still very much perceived as a thing that's mainly for kids/teens, the average Joe (and Jane) simply doesn't play much or at all.

In short, you don't need to sell more PCs to sell more games. Now, if TV would just do us the favor to take a dive and die instead of rotting away...
    Looking for you daily bundle fix? Join us on The onward march of bundles
    Stalk my Steam profile, or follow my fight against the backlog on HowLongToBeat.

"You take the Klingon's detached hand"

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Laptop sales (and ownership) is dropping fast tho - I agree that there are more people yet to discover gaming but I honestly don't think it will happen on PCs.

In fact all the ground gained by PCs (mostly laptops) in the last 10 years will probably be lost to tablets/mobiles in the next 2-3 - I think by 2015/6 we'll be back where we were in the early 00's, where a PC is a relatively rare thing for someone to own.

I just need to look at the people who I used to fix PCs for - most now simply use tablets/phones/their TV for the things they used their PCs for (music playing, Facebook, Twitter, email and the like).

Quote Originally Posted by alms View Post
    Now, if TV would just do us the favor to take a dive and die instead of rotting away...
    Oh god, your word in god's ear! The amount of people still submitting themselves and those around them to these restrictive noise delivery systems. Please stop me from hijacking this thread and rambling on about how the german "society for musical performing and mechanical reproduction rights" (GEMA) blocks any attempt of making any sort of media available in a way that is contemporay and open...

Yeh, got myself Knife of Dunwall, thanks for reminding me AlexClockwork.

Lesser Hivemind Node postinternetsyndrome's Avatar
    I'm considering getting hitman subtitle now, with all DLC it's about 8e. Will I hate myself? I know it's not a worthy sequel, but I've gotten the impression it's quite entertaining on its own terms. Yay/nay?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus neema_t's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by postinternetsyndrome View Post
    I'm considering getting hitman subtitle now, with all DLC it's about 8e. Will I hate myself? I know it's not a worthy sequel, but I've gotten the impression it's quite entertaining on its own terms. Yay/nay?
    As long as you know it's not proper Hitman, I think there's still some fun to be had with it. It reminded me of Splinter Cell: Conviction more than it did Blood Money, but a few elements of proper Hitmans remain.

Also I just want to say: Organ Trail is pretty great. It's well worth the current asking price.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Sakkura's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by trjp View Post
    Laptop sales (and ownership) is dropping fast tho - I agree that there are more people yet to discover gaming but I honestly don't think it will happen on PCs.

In fact all the ground gained by PCs (mostly laptops) in the last 10 years will probably be lost to tablets/mobiles in the next 2-3 - I think by 2015/6 we'll be back where we were in the early 00's, where a PC is a relatively rare thing for someone to own.

I just need to look at the people who I used to fix PCs for - most now simply use tablets/phones/their TV for the things they used their PCs for (music playing, Facebook, Twitter, email and the like).
    A PC was not a rare thing for someone to own 10 or 15 years ago. And ownership isn't really dropping much, it's buying that is dropping fast. And using. Much of what a lot of people used to do on PCs is indeed being done on tablets or smartphones today. That leaves the PCs to cover a niche of gaming (beyond Angry Birds), typing, spreadsheets and so on. Which is fine. It doesn't mean that PC gaming is going to shrink, unless you count Windows' baked-in solitaire and mahjong.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Sketch's Avatar
    What's the RPS consensus on Dust? Worth it for that price? Rubbish?
    steam: sketch

Secondary Hivemind Nexus The JG Man's Avatar
    The general consensus on Dust, in general, is that it's a very polished game that's genuinely fun. TotalBiscuit did a video, as well as Northern Lion and Giant Bomb, both of which are the 360 versions.