Page 40 of 61 FirstFirst ... 30383940414250 ... LastLast
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Heliocentric's Avatar
    I'm a parent and nearly all of my buyers guilt stems from that. There are countless types of stuff my kids would like more of and while the limit applied I'd more one of practicality (if my kids got loads of new toys old ones round need to be thrown away to clear space).

While digital games don't share the same limit I allow for the same scale to judge my own purchases out of a sense of fairness. Now games for my kids is where I come undone logically and only my 'core concept cannot be violence' hems in my purchases.
    I'm failing to writing a blog, specifically about playing games the wrong way
    http://playingitwrong.wordpress.com/

So far, the flash sales have largely been a waste of time.

I thought I could get the Dishonored DLC but I've got enough other things to play so I'm not going to bother.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Tritagonist's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by thegooseking View Post
    Actually, I think it makes sense to buy a load of cheap games rather than the game you really want. If there's a game I know I really want, I don't have a problem paying full price for it. If I don't really know whether I'll like it or not, then the price is a risk. As I hinted before, sales don't, to me, make games more worth the price; they make them more worth the risk. It's a subtle distinction, but it does make a big difference as to which games I'm buying in sales.
    Absolutely, I agree. The sales make trying a flawed game worth the 'risk'. Perhaps I worded it somewhat awkwardly in my earlier post. I'm mainly talking about a situation in which people are actually hoarding digital stuff, such as buying Mirror's Edge 'because I didn't have it on Steam', and indulging in a ton of cosmetic DLC just to have it all 'in case I might do a second playthrough'.

Quote Originally Posted by Internet View Post
    The real issue with Steam sales for me isn't Amazon, who's prices are mostly comparable in the US. It's Humble Bundle. They have insane deals that single games can't really match and they give a steam key.
    I agree with this. The Steam sales used to be a great opportunity to get into some Indie games, but the bundles have really made that redundant. I think that's probably the reason we don't see much focus on Indie games any more. They used to have a separate selection of Daily Deals if I remember correctly.
    "He has anointed me to bring good news to the poor. He has sent me to proclaim release to
    the captives and recovery of sight to the blind, to let the oppressed go free". ~
    Luke 4:18

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by soldant View Post
    The ultra new stuff doesn't get a discount and we've mostly purchased everything else already... and there'll be a big end of year sale anyway and you're almost guaranteed to get the same deals again at some point then.
    Well that depends. Yes, the big titles that are new enough or big enough to make the daily sales will always be cheaper at Christmas.

But then there's a whole bunch of stuff that went to 75%+ off in daily sales last time around, but isn't worth featuring on the front page at this point so just has the regular 50% discount. In some cases the base price has fallen enough to make up for that, in other cases it hasn't.

As people mentioned, the big publisher/franchise packs have also dried up a bit, although they were already getting to the point where they didn't include everything in previous bundles.

Obviously if you want Dishonoured or XCOM or something, you should wait until Christmas. But looking at today's sales, I'd say Crysis 2 and Mark of the Ninja are worth picking up now...

Also stuff further in the back catalog, we're no longer at the point where it's feasible to put the entire catalog of Steam games on sale, so lots of really old/obscure stuff is likely to drop out of the sales entirely.

Common sense applies, but a blanket 'It'll definitely be the same price or less' next sale no longer applies like it once did.

The reticence of many indie groups to provide a decent sale is strange though. Don't Starve is one I've been watching for, and it never gets a good sale.
    Don't Starve has been on sale since before the official release, they used to give two copies for as low as $6.99 IIRC.

As a comparison Mark of the Ninja has been released in October, hit 75% off recently on Steam but you could get it cheap on Amazon at least twice in the past 6 months; both are excellent games that got excellent reviews so it makes sense they don't get uberdiscounts for a few months after release at least.

BTW if anyone's on the fence, Don't Starve is likely the best sandbox/survival game I've played so far. It blends a number of (fantastic) sources into something with a bleak, dark humor-ous(?) core that is its own. As far as gameplay is concerned, it elicits the same loot compulsion of something like Torchlight, at the same time making discovery very much possible for that almost puzzle-like eureka! moment and no immersion breaking wiki trips (unless YOU want). It kills you over and over and without thinking about it twice, as in the best roguelike tradition - and yet I have no problem starting all over again.

If you can't tell, I'm really impressed. With the game, and Klei.
    Looking for you daily bundle fix? Join us on The onward march of bundles
    Stalk my Steam profile, or follow my fight against the backlog on HowLongToBeat.

"You take the Klingon's detached hand"

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    I got Mark of the Ninja in the sale, and I really like it so far. Klei does manage to put out a surprising number of decent games (Shank and 2 were decent, but certainly not great) fairly quickly.

Encyclopedia Alms is right of course. I tend to judge about $5 as my standard indie price (more for some genres, less for platformers), and below that cheap. That's fair to me, because I only have about $5 to spend on videogames a month. I was thinking of Don't Starve, Antichamber, Toki Tori 2 ($10 for what's pretty much a flash puzzler?), Rheus, and Fez. All of which look interesting, but not a third to a quarter of my budget interesting.

Rheus in particular has me completely on the fence, and if it were just a dollar cheaper I would go ahead and get it.

Lesser Hivemind Node postinternetsyndrome's Avatar
    Grabbed motn too, and I'm not regretting it. It really does live up to the hype.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus neema_t's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by LTK View Post
    So far, the sales have largely been a waste of time.
    EFA. Before the sale I was all like 'shit, how am I going to stick to a 30 budget?!' but now I'm like 'shit, I've got to buy something, anything!'. Well, not really, but I've bought about half as many stuff this time round than I bought on the first two days of the Christmas sale. I've spent less than 10 out of 30 so far, which is nice, I'm only expecting to spend about 10 more (Gunpoint at 4.20 and Monaco at 6). I haven't even been tempted by anything else except maybe KSP and Tomb Raider.

For what it's worth, I didn't like MotN that much. I don't think I was in the right frame of mind for it though.

For me MotN is one of those games that you will often fiddle around with for a little bit and get bored, then suddenly pick it up and play 5 hours straight.

I can't say the sale has been a waste of time. It has been mentioned before that with the increasing discount competition that Steam faces, most of us have already likely picked up most of the games we really wanted in promotions before this current summer sale. Let's looks critically at our wishlists. Can you genuinely say that you expect either the niche game that you want to pop up during a massive sale event (instead of the odd daily deal), or the price of a new game that you haven't been able to pick up before to fall sufficiently low for you to buy it? That said, the reiteration of the same games over and over by day 6 is not good.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    In stranger news, it looks like they stopped community choice voting. And then started it again. Hmmm.
    Last edited by Internet; 17-07-2013 at 04:58 PM.

In stranger news, it looks like they stopped community choice voting. And then started it again. Hmmm.
    Odd. CC only has two games to choose from. Lame.

Daily deals for Day 7 leaked slightly early.

Nothing here for me today that I haven't already got.

I'm mildly intrigued by Dark Souls, given the amount of hype surrounding it, but I haven't been fully convinced that it's for me. Also I've already got a bunch of stuff to play.
    Last edited by airtekh; 17-07-2013 at 05:33 PM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Unsurprisingly, the "community" went for the wrong game AGAIN

"Oh it's got CARDS - despite the fact it's already been discounted to hell-and-back already - VOTE FOR THAT ONE"

The real reason games make so much money on Steam is that so fucking retards use it.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus pakoito's Avatar
    I think they just check my wishlist and pick all games that are not there.

Quote Originally Posted by trjp View Post
    Unsurprisingly, the "community" went for the wrong game AGAIN

"Oh it's got CARDS - despite the fact it's already been discounted to hell-and-back already - VOTE FOR THAT ONE"

The real reason games make so much money on Steam is that so fucking retards use it.
    You can say that again. I was really looking forward to Van Helsing. It's never been 50% off, whereas TWD has had this price three times in this sale already. Morons...

Hopefully it will be on a flash sale soon.

Network Hub
    Buy Gunpoint, then buy it again.

Then once more.

There is a demo for you heretics who don't believe in the Gunpoint.

Not only that, TWD was in a Humble Bundle (or other bundle) not too long ago.

If you do not have Dark Souls yet, I'd get Dark Souls.
    Its nice.

Also Gunpoint flashsale.

Quote Originally Posted by Scumbag View Post
    If you do not have Dark Souls yet, I'd get Dark Souls.
    Its nice.

Also Gunpoint flashsale.
    Dark Souls is one of the best games I have ever played. And I've been playing games for 30 years.

I'll buy Gunpoint, even though I really have no idea what exactly it is!

I'll be grabbing Gunpoint then I think that'll be it for this sale. I've got more than enough to be getting on with now.