Page 46 of 61 FirstFirst ... 36444546474856 ... LastLast
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by GunnerMcCaffrey View Post
    But if you live in a world where one gets equal entitlement to engage in misogyny and to challenge misogyny, then you and I are somehow communicating across dimensions right now.
    I don't think it was misogynistic - it was ill-judged and tacky but to be misogynistic you'd have to assume they chose to make the statue because they hate women - which I think is a bit of a leap to make.

One of the things you need to get through life is to know when you pick your battles and which battles are worth fighting.

You can't take-on every cause - you cannot highlight every perceived sleight and you positively must not mix-up a genuine "bad idea" with actual "hate" because that only dilutes it.

Nothing I want or don't have in the new Flash Sale.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    I've wanted Rage for that price for a while now, but I realized I might as well wait to upgrade my PC since the current one (gtx 480 amd dual core) can't show it off.

Network Hub
    Quote Originally Posted by Pinkscare View Post
    Nothing I want or don't have in the new Flash Sale.
    It's been like that since the beginning of the whole sale I think !
    The only item I want to buy is the Silent Hunter IV addon (I have too many games...)

Quote Originally Posted by AshEnke View Post
    It's been like that since the beginning of the whole sale I think !
    The only item I want to buy is the Silent Hunter IV addon (I have too many games...)
    Yeah, I'm done. The only game I want now is Monaco.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus gundato's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Pinkscare View Post
    I've been waiting for Gunpoint.

I guess it's now time to get Dark Souls... is it as hard as Demon's Souls?
    As someone who has played both, and then replayed Demon recently:

Dark Souls is harder, from a gameplay perspective, than Demon Souls. It is harder to make a "super" character and you need to be a lot more methodical in how you approach things.

But from a design perspective, Dark Souls is MUCH easier. For one thing, the use of Estus Flasks and bonfires means that you generally don't have a long run between a respawn and a boss. For another, you never have to grind anything. And the reduction in the number of attributes makes it easier to build a useful character.

In essence, it is exactly what they claim to be doing with Dark Souls 2. The game is still hard and REALLY fun, but it feels more fair and is much more accessible.
    Steam: Gundato
    PSN: Gundato
    If you want me on either service, I suggest PMing me here first to let me know who you are.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by trjp View Post
    I don't think it was misogynistic - it was ill-judged and tacky but to be misogynistic you'd have to assume they chose to make the statue because they hate women - which I think is a bit of a leap to make.
    How naive.

It doesn't matter what they thought. Their intentions are irrelevant. What matters is what the liberally brainwashed(henceforth called Warriors of Equality) thought about it themselves, because they're the ones calling the shots on what is misogynistic(racist, nazi, etc.) or not.

So while the situation went like this:
    - Techland wants to make a game about zombies, decides to place it on a tropical island to avoid at least one of the stereotypes. This quite obviously results in zombies in swimwear
    - Techland makes a sequel to the game, they decide to put something in the special/preorder edition. Since zombie games really have nothing intrinsic to them other than - well - zombies, they decide to just be unimaginative and give people a zombie. Or part of it, as it were

This is what the Warriors of Equality see:
    - Not satisfied with simply having a game with women in swimwear in it(which itself is pretty damningly chauvinistic!) they make The Torso - a blatant symbol, obelisk even, of misogyny: a woman reduced to nothing but a pair ot tits, and more - since it's a zombie, that's obviously a blatant commentary on women in general - that they're nothing but brainless bodies, stupid bimbos to be [s]shot in the head[/s] exploited at will.

So as you can see, it's not what the perpetrator thought or did - it's all about what the Warriors of Equality think he thought or did. Disagree? then you're a rape apologist.

It's like a thought crime - but you're not even the one thinking.

You do have to admire the simplicity and efficiency of it, in a way.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus vinraith's Avatar
    Oh lord. Maybe the entire torsogate discussion could be moved elsewhere or deleted? It shouldn't be allowed to hijack this thread, and that outpouring of bile is almost certain to do so...

Network Hub
    I was thinking about buying Dark Souls but it seems like it's not available in EU tier 2. Is there any particular reason for it? And is there a way for me to buy it?

Lesser Hivemind Node Juan Carlo's Avatar
    Honestly, I just thought the statute was meant to be a tasteless/humorous reference to the Venus De Milo (who is famously armless). I didn't see it as especially misogynistic.

Quote Originally Posted by Juan Carlo View Post
    Honestly, I just thought the statute was meant to be a tasteless/humorous reference to the Venus De Milo (who is famously armless). I didn't see it as especially misogynistic.
    The Venus does have a head though ;)

Back to the summer sale discussion!

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Tritagonist's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by tgd View Post
    I was thinking about buying Dark Souls but it seems like it's not available in EU tier 2. Is there any particular reason for it? And is there a way for me to buy it?
    It requires Microsoft's Games for Windows Live. And Microsoft is that 'global' company that only supports a handful of non-English (former) colonies, or whatever else is their basis for excluding large parts of the world from their digital products. See also: Xbox One Limited To 21 Countries At Launch
    Last edited by Tritagonist; 18-07-2013 at 08:24 AM.
    "He has anointed me to bring good news to the poor. He has sent me to proclaim release to
    the captives and recovery of sight to the blind, to let the oppressed go free". ~
    Luke 4:18

The community choice features what appears to be Marvel Heroes costume packs for half off. Who in their right mind would pay €80 (RRP) a piece for a bunch of costume packs for an MMO, even at 50 %? Does the game have that dedicated a fanbase? I'm not sure of the extent to which the new heroes change the gameplay, but €40 is about what I usually spend on 5-10 games, not single bits of DLC.

EDIT: It also kind of bugs me that there's no full package upgrade for people who own Saints Row 3. I Have the base game and the season pass, but purchasing the remaining DLC is still more expensive than the full package. Sure, I could just suck it up and buy the full package, but that feels like a defeat to me. It's not like I'd help save THQ. Anyway, thoughts on the various item packs? Worth it? (And yes, there is some irony in me bitching about item/costume packs above, but there's the matter of pricing.)
    Last edited by Fanbuoy; 18-07-2013 at 08:43 AM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus thegooseking's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Tritagonist View Post
    It requires Microsoft's Games for Windows Live. And Microsoft is that 'global' company that only supports a handful of non-English (former) colonies, or whatever else is their basis for excluding large parts of the world from their digital products. See also: Xbox One Limited To 21 Countries At Launch
    My business expertise is pretty much limited to reading the X3: Terran Conflict manual, but from that, I learned that the best thing to do is to sell where there is a market, not try and create a market. I find Microsoft's success in spite of ignoring this rule totally baffling. Sure, Adam Orth was fired, but it's looking increasingly like he was fired for toeing the company line, which (a) makes me feel kind of sorry for him, and (b) makes me wonder how much Microsoft really believes it can demand that people move to an area they do support rather than supporting more areas.
    "Moronic cynicism is a kind of naïveté. It's naïveté turned inside-out. Naïveté wearing a sneer." -Momus

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Tritagonist's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Fanbuoy View Post
    Who in their right mind would pay €80 (RRP) a piece for a bunch of costume packs for an MMO, even at 50 %?
    MMO players. See: 1 World of Warcraft cosmetic (!) item for €12.00. But like you said, you probably do need a pretty big and invested customerbase to pull that off. Who knows how Marvel Heroes is doing in that regard.
    "He has anointed me to bring good news to the poor. He has sent me to proclaim release to
    the captives and recovery of sight to the blind, to let the oppressed go free". ~
    Luke 4:18

Network Hub
    Quote Originally Posted by Tritagonist View Post
    Well, that's interesting because Dark Souls is available on Gamersgate, Greenmangaming, and a local retail store sells it... Same thing with Arkham City. And Arkham Asylum has GFWL as well, I think, so how come it's available on Steam?
    And how exactly is it possible that I can buy games in dollars on GMG?
    Last edited by tgd; 18-07-2013 at 09:17 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by tgd View Post
    Well, that's interesting because Dark Souls is available on Gamersgate, Greenmangaming, and a local retail store sells it... Same thing with Arkham City. And Arkham Asylum has GFWL as well, I think, so how come it's available on Steam?
    And how exactly is it possible that I can buy games in dollars on GMG?
    I may not read you right, but GFWL and Steam aren't mutually exclusive. As for currencies used, that's up to the retailer. I pay in GBP on GMG, EUR on Steam, USD on Amazon and SEK on Gamersgate.

Network Hub
    Quote Originally Posted by Fanbuoy View Post
    I may not read you right, but GFWL and Steam aren't mutually exclusive.
    Well, I looked into this a bit and it seems like GFWL is in fact supported in Slovakia. And yeah, I know that Steam and GFWL aren't mutually exclusive, it just seemed weird to me that some games with GFWL are available on Steam, while others aren't.

Expeditions: Conquistador at 75 % off on the community choice. That was quick. Since I doubt that The Old Gods will be reduced, that got my vote. But anyone who doesn't own CK2 should vote for that. Like, right now.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Christ. The first community choice in two days with a game I want, but it's all three this time.