Page 49 of 61 FirstFirst ... 39474849505159 ... LastLast
    Lesser Hivemind Node postinternetsyndrome's Avatar
    Hoping for csgo in the next vote. I feel ready for a new mp shooter.

Obscure Node
    Also worth pointing out. Blood Dragon is part of the Far Cry 3 Daily, although they haven't made that fact very obvious.

Quote Originally Posted by Scumbag View Post
    Steam just noticed "Oh, the prices were wrong" and then they changed to what they should have been. Silly Steam, Silly Valve!
    I hope TheDreamlord did not impulsively get Van Helsing before the switch.
    Nah, I am not that much of a fool! I was waiting for it to go down to 50% for days! ;-)

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Fumarole's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Deptfordx View Post
    Also worth pointing out. Blood Dragon is part of the Far Cry 3 Daily, although they haven't made that fact very obvious.
    Indeed, but it was cheaper earlier in the sale at $6.74.
    The Medallion of the Imperial Psychopath, a Napoleon: Total War AAR
    For the Emperor!, a Total War: Shogun 2: Fall of the Samurai AAR

Does Port Royale play like the Anno series? It looks pretty but that price is still a little high for me to take a punt on something I know nothing about.

Also I see Van Helsing seems popular with some folks here. That's another I know little about but it does look interesting.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus vinraith's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by PeteC View Post
    Does Port Royale play like the Anno series?
    Absolutely not. Anno is a city builder with some trading game elements, Port Royale is a trading game with a few city building elements. The Patrician series is its closest relative.

Quote Originally Posted by Pinkscare View Post
    I just started playing it. Enjoyable. Peaceful. Gamepad works a lot better the KB&M. You do not need a wheel, but I'd at least have a gamepad. Backing up takes some time getting used to. I'd pick it up, dude.
    Quote Originally Posted by trjp View Post
    Keyboard/controller is fine - my warning is that despite seeming to be quite 'sim', they're just not. I picked-up a load of stuff in the demo (you've tried the demo?) and headed off to deliver it - was trucking along the M1 when my truck just decided to leap into the air, snap sideways and jackknife. I then watched as every car on the road repeatedly slammed into it - they're probably still doing that...
    Cheers guys, didn't know there was a demo, will give it a shot.

Quote Originally Posted by Smashbox View Post
    WTB: All your opinions on Sang Froid and Port Royale.

Anyone played them?
    I'm also curious about Sang Froid. Anyone played it?

Quote Originally Posted by Deptfordx View Post
    Thanks for the heads up. I've had my eye on that, and it might be at a price I'll buy it now.

Quote Originally Posted by postinternetsyndrome View Post
    Hoping for csgo in the next vote. I feel ready for a new mp shooter.
    Have you tried Rising Storm?

Thoughts on Port Royale 3? I really like that genre and have enjoyed Patrician and Port Royale in the past.

But the trading sim genre has been in rough waters lately, with a lot of pretty graphics and not much deep simulation. And in this case Kalypso is involved, so it's a wildcard.

Thoughts?

edit: I ballsed up the reply feature. This was for the on-the-fence XCOM posts.

Admittedly, I never played the original XCOM games, so this game was the first time it hit my radar. I got it around the time I got Dishonored. I found Dishonored got a bit repetitive and boring for me, but really enjoyed XCOM and played it way more.

Looking back, there are a couple of well documented flaws that I agree with. The story arc forcing each game to somewhat follow what has worked for you in the past is limiting. And the way the RNG works does take away some strategy and make it a bit too much luck.

But I still really enjoyed it and got 70 hours of fun out of it. It can be exhilarating to complete a bastard of a mission and heartbreaking to lose a soldier you've carefully leveled up and grown attached to. For what it is, I heartily recommend it at this price.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Tritagonist's Avatar
    I have not played and thus can not comment on Far Cry 3, but Far Cry 3 - Blood Dragon is also 40% off, and that's a very enjoyable 4-5 hours of retro-FPS gaming. Ludicrous powers, cartoonish villains, a love story that will - well, serve to introduce the female character, and just overall good fun. It's not too long, so it doesn't wear out its welcome. The open world was decidedly less interesting, with the whole 'kill dudes to capture a base to unlock a mission to kill more dudes' being a bit... uninspiring. Even so, a nice game for €9.

XCOM: Enemy Unknown is a solid turn based tactical game, but it's not very deep and the number of maps is noticeably limited. You'll probably visit each of the random locations a half dozen times throughout the game. Not that bad, since no two battles are the same, but also not a strong point. The special missions aboard the alien ships are a highlight. Well worth it for €10.

When it comes to city simulations, SimCity 4 is probably still the most interesting one around. Its gameplay is both varied and deep, and thanks to its graphical style it still looks quite good. Definitely one to get at €3.
    "He has anointed me to bring good news to the poor. He has sent me to proclaim release to
    the captives and recovery of sight to the blind, to let the oppressed go free". ~
    Luke 4:18

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by Monkeyshines View Post
    I'm also curious about Sang Froid. Anyone played it?

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2013...-froid-review/

I tend to agree - it's charming-as-hell, it's quite original in places but there are some elements missing and some bits which just, plain don't work.

It's a TD game without the ability to rewind stuff - it's Sanctum without the freneticness - it's really quite unique.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus The JG Man's Avatar
    Today's recommendation comes in the form of Torchlight 2. Vastly improved over the original and very, very fun to play. Lots of fun loot, cool environments to fight in and well supported both officially and unofficially. Found myself replaying it several times, both by myself and in co-op. If you're looking for a loot-a-thon, I can only give this high praise.

As a flash sale, there's also Binding of Isaac which eats time like no tomorrow. Insanely fun and addictive. The DLC adds tons of content, but it might be a little overwhelming at first.