Page 55 of 61 FirstFirst ... 5455354555657 ... LastLast
Results 1,081 to 1,100 of 1204
    Just got Zeno Clash 2 for close to €5, thanks to Mnemnoch's cooperation in getting a two-pack. I got what I came for this summer sale.

I was looking through the list of Steam games sorted by price to see if there were any hidden gems under €2 worth pointing out, like Zeno Clash 1 in the Steam autumn sale 2012. So here are a few, in ascending order of price:

I think most people were already aware of Ben There, Dan That! and Time Gentlemen, Please! for 90% off, seeing as it's literally at the top of the list of the cheapest games, followed directly by Bad Rats. I guess they wanted to encourage impulse buyers to get a game of actual quality for a change.

Anyway, a bit further down the list is Super Hexagon, which you probably already know about, for 66% less than its already super-low price. I wasn't interested in playing it initially, but I figured for €1, why the hell not.

English Country Tune, which has the most inaccurate and least descriptive name ever, is a really challenging puzzle game that will have you spend most of your time staring at the screen, wracking your brain for solutions. When you find them, it's great.

Lastly, the game I'd recommend over every one of the above is Shatter, a brick-breaking game unlike any other. It's a fantastic arcade game with fantastic visuals and fantastic music, local co-op, endless mode, time attack, and boss rush. Basically everything you could possibly desire from an arcade game.

Anyone else have highlights to point out within those super-cheap games?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus The JG Man's Avatar
    If you don't all buy Super Hexagon, you're all terrible people.

Especially you. You know who you are.

Also, Sonic Racing Transformed has got me into the whole cards thing. On the plus side, my Steam profile now has Sky Sanctuary in the background, so that's nice.
    Powered by Steam. And biscuits. I'm also a twit and dabble in creative writing.

FFVII and Mortal Kombat have decided to join the sale! They are Flashing in the Flash sale! 33% off each, and considering MK has just been released that ain't too bad.
    What to vote for on the community choices? FTL, Hotline Miami or Recettear.

Quote Originally Posted by Scumbag View Post
    FFVII and Mortal Kombat have decided to join the sale! They are Flashing in the Flash sale! 33% off each, and considering MK has just been released that ain't too bad.
    What to vote for on the community choices? FTL, Hotline Miami or Recettear.
    Yeah, just after I bought MK in GMG last friday. At least I only overpayed $1.

Also vote for Recetter!!
    Add me: Steam, Raptr: mnem

Secondary Hivemind Nexus sabrage's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Heliocentric View Post
    I found a 100 dollar bill in the lower intestinal tract of a llama. I rolled it up filled with lady grey tea leaves and smoked it. I felt so self indulgent.
    This is also how Alms stays on top of his sales.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus pakoito's Avatar
    I got MK for like €13 in the hatconomy.

I'm preparing myself for those last day purchases of things that never where special sales.
    What's the consensus on Starseed Pilgrim?

What a dilemma.. what to spend my last bit of Steam credit on? Skyrim or Mortal Kombat? I need time to figure this one out..

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Wow... it's almost over already and I haven't even had a look yet. Maybe it's because i've had a cold, or because I bought so many humble bundles over the last year, but this time it seems to have totally passed me by.

I remember getting so excited about steam sales back in the olden days...

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Tritagonist's Avatar
    Mortal Kombat Komplete Edition 33% off within three weeks of the Steam release, and even before non-Steam release, sure teaches me not to make exceptions to my no-buying-on-release rule. Personal grumpiness aside, though, I do think it's a good game for those interested in fighting games on PC. As I've described elsewhere, I'm not skilled enough at the game or genre to comment on its finer points, but that in and of itself might be a bonus, as it's very accessible to newcomers and even has numerous tutorials and training sessions built in to it. The storyline, while certainly no literature, is more than entertaining enough and serves as a nice introduction to all the fighters. It does feature the old fashioned boss battles that have fallen out of favour in recent years, so expect to retry certain fights over, and over, again.

Do note that the MKKE flash sale ends in an hour and twenty minutes.
    "He has anointed me to bring good news to the poor. He has sent me to proclaim release to
    the captives and recovery of sight to the blind, to let the oppressed go free". ~
    Luke 4:18

Network Hub
    I've not played a fighter since MK3 on the Playstation, this is probably going to be incredibly painful, but I can't help but give it a try.

Not much to add to those lists, except another vote for Samorost 2 and Thomas Was Alone. Patrician 3, which I haven't played but mean to, is 1.52 euro. Dungeons of Dredmor is 1.24 for the base game, but there has been so much added in the DLC that I wouldn't really recommend going for that over the complete edition for 2.50, even if you're not sure about the game.
    "Harry uses the One Ring to defeat Magneto and save the Rebellion!"
    With thanks to RaveTurned in comments on the main page.

Aaaand the vote goes to FTL. Again. The next vote includes Kentucky Route Zero, but I won't count on that one making it either.

Quote Originally Posted by Tikey View Post
    I'm preparing myself for those last day purchases of things that never where special sales.
    What's the consensus on Starseed Pilgrim?
    Starseed Pilgrim is one of the most wondrous games I've enjoyed in recent times. Its reluctance to show any purpose or teach any of its principles makes discovery actually exciting.

Besides that, the less said the better.

By the way, how is the Starforge alpha? The game looks to potentially be the greatest, but is it worth jumping in now?
    Last edited by Car to Pol; 21-07-2013 at 11:39 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by TechnoJellyfish View Post
    Would you say it plays anything like the original AvP/AvP2 multiplayer? I did like that for a fact.
    Yes and No.

This isn't Aliens, so you don't have the same atmosphere as that game. Also it's not team deathmatch (although there is a popular mod that does offer that: Combat mode). It's very much focused on taking and securing parts of the map, which is much better accomplished by moving as a team.

Skulks are frail and can climb walls to ambush marines - which is where the similarity lies, but there are other lifeforms as well.

Also, how are the actual shooting mechanics? I usually fare way better in twitch skill centric shooters.
    I'm not sure what you mean by this. It does take a while to master the basic assault rifle, and in this game you spend most of it firing at very close ranges (as opposed to targets far away) so you need to turn your mouse more than you may expect.

I've heard people bounce off playing as aliens completely; playing as a skulk requires a bit of stealth and finesse: ambushing marines whenever you can, as opposed to charging directly at them. You've played AvP so you might make the transition better than others. NS2 doesn't include the HUD flip when skulks are wall-walking though, your HUD stays vertical.

And seeing as my system is nearing its 6th birthday: how well is the game optimized?
    Performance-wise, the game is getting better. The devs released a patch recently which improved gameplay performance on all PCs. Prior to that, people had been having a few problems with their framerate.

My own machine is 4 years old at this point (Core 2 Duo 3Ghz, 3GB RAM, ATI 4890) and can run NS2 at a reasonable framerate, with the occasional slowdown.

The biggest problem most people have is with the initial map load times, which, if you don't have an SSD, can be up to 2 minutes long. After that they get shorter, but I've heard stories of silly people who ragequit the game because they couldn't wait for the map to load.

Now that I've really warmed to Sleeping Dogs, I decided to pick up the three 'story' DLC bits with the last of my Steam card money + a pittance of 'real' money. Got my second ever booster pack (Trine 2), which gave me a foil card which should sell for about a dollar hopefully.

Starseed Pilgrim is also very cheap. It's a very unique puzzle game. The way it let's you figure out the mechanics on your own inspires a true sense of wonder, and mastering it's mechanics is extremely satisfying. It took me about 2 hours to figure out what I was supposed to do, but it'll probably take less if you don't suck at videogames.

Lesser Hivemind Node TechnoJellyfish's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by airtekh View Post
    I'm not sure what you mean by this. It does take a while to master the basic assault rifle, and in this game you spend most of it firing at very close ranges (as opposed to targets far away) so you need to turn your mouse more than you may expect.
    I did phrase it a bit odd ... I prefer multiplayer shooters that have more of an "oldschool quality" to them; games that emphasize movement speed/skill and the anticipation of enemy movement patterns over the more "modern school" of FPS games where the actual shooting gameplay often comes down to map awareness and positioning (think Quake III vs. the Battlefield series, for example).

Not that I totally dislike the latter but I think what I'm looking for at the moment is something a bit more fast-paced.

Thanks for the in-depth feedback, it's very helpful and much appreciated!

Ah, if you had mentioned Quake 3 I would have known right away!

Yeah, this is relatively slow paced for a shooter. It's odd considering that the original game was a mod in the Half-Life engine, which was a bit pacey. NS is a more tactical game I suppose.

I can't even think of any arena-based shooters that are still being made nowadays, Shootmania perhaps? Warsow?