Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Jesus_Phish's Avatar

[VS] Flying Giraffes: Air support and ground crew

"You can be my wingman any time."

This thread is to inform everyone about how to join and play in a dedicated Air team in the RPS outfit.

The air support and ground crew is a dedicated group of players who wish to work together to achieve air dominance. Often it will work in tandem with the main platoon on the ground. Our players will pilot Scythes and Liberators or the impressive BattleGal alongside some gunners.

To support our pilots we have at least four players who play ground support. These players will pull AA in the form of Skyguards as well as an Ammo Sundy. These 4 players establish a safe zone, an area where our pilots can fly back to for repairs and resupplies as well as receive covering fire from our Skyguards. The advantage of the safe zone is it's mobility, allowing us to relocate anywhere on the map and not have to be fixed to any one location or have to worry about defending any bases for resupplies.

The group is flexible and allows people to swap roles and share vehicles between each other. In the unfortunate event of a pilot being shot down, that player can hop into someones Liberator or BattleGal gun seats. They can swap out with one of the ground crew, take over in a Sundy or a Skyguard.

Current Goals
    - Air dominance
    - Supporting the main platoon
    - Killing bad guys
    - Having fun!

Potential Goals
    - Alerting the rest of TVA that we have set up a mobile restock/repair zone
    - Lowering Daddy's KDR.
    Last edited by Jesus_Phish; 16-07-2013 at 10:27 AM.
    "Halo is designed to make the player think "I look like that, I am macho sitting in my undies with my xbox""

Steam ID

*saved just in case*
    "Halo is designed to make the player think "I look like that, I am macho sitting in my undies with my xbox""

Steam ID

I'd like to suggest we combine both of these images into a logo

This drawing from TrooperWally (dug up from the purple giraffes of awesomeness award thread)

And these

Attached Images Attached Images

Steam ID

Secondary Hivemind Nexus LaKroy's Avatar
    Good initiative!

Could a moderator perhaps move the relevant posts from "[VS] After Action Report" to here? There's a lot of air squad posts cluttering that thread at the moment.

And about that name:

nz9Ds7Rl.jpg
    To be fair, we have lots of other excellent suggestions:
    - AirGir
    - FlyGir
    - SkyGir
    - GiRAF

My only complaint about TopGir is that every time I hear it I'll think of Top Gear and the fact that Clarkson and Hammond are nowhere near as interesting as James May.

But that's a minor quibble.

Steam ID

Secondary Hivemind Nexus MrEclectic's Avatar
    How about you mirror that R in the logo?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus mrpier's Avatar
    Apropos from the last few posts in the AAR-thread.

What I've found when I've piloted a lib is that I really should have used more time as a gunner first. I'm unsure when I'm piloting what the best angle of attack is for my gunner, what speed I should have, what the best height is for rendering inf/vehicles and so on.

Quote Originally Posted by Jesus_Phish View Post
    My only complaint about TopGir is that every time I hear it I'll think of Top Gear and the fact that Clarkson and Hammond are nowhere near as interesting as James May.
    Yeah, that passed my mind as well.

Quote Originally Posted by MrEclectic View Post
    How about you mirror that R in the logo?
    That's a pretty good adjustment. Looks more clean and closer to the original. Gives it a russian feel though, regardless of whether that is good, bad or irrelevant. I like it, MrEclectic!

Yeah TopGir makes me think of Top Gear as well lol!
    PS2 a.k.a. PurpleSnow
    also available on Steam

Secondary Hivemind Nexus EsotericReverie's Avatar
    Not me, but I don't have a telly...

Really like the TopGir logo! Good job!

Secondary Hivemind Nexus WallyTrooper's Avatar
    I didn't draw the flying giraffe myself (I have nowhere near enough artistic talent for that!) - I just googled "purple flying giraffe" to find a suitable reward for the Godfather of flying giraffes: LaKroy (though of course many others have also really helped to build what is turning into a truly awesome corps of flying giraffes).

Logo - I love the reversed R and think it's a slick design. However, I'm not too fussed it we're called TopGir or something else.

Name - Special Air Giraffes sounds good to me (mirroring SAS naming) but sadly it abbreviates to SAG which doesn't align so well with the image we might want to project.

Random thought - this straddles the line between air squad stuff and silly mondays:
    The Giraffe Airmada - we get many people into agressively armoured flying things as possible, battle gals, all sorts of libs and scythes. Take them all up to flight ceiling then float over to the hottest battle zone on the map, regardless of who's fighting there. On the command we all dive domb the enemy and shoot them to bits. As you'll see, I've given a lot of thought to the finer details(!).

Organisation - we've talked (in the other thread) about how best to organise things. One issue that came up is how to handle congestion at the LZ. A few suggestions have been made and should be effective (such as having designated landing spots and a queueing system if they're all full at one time). In a large air platoon (sometimes we've had 20 or so people in the air group) that might be sub-optimal. Might we be better to split up to have two safe zones? There's inefficiency in having more sunderers and skyguards unused but equally that provides backup if one safezone gets compromised. Maybe we'd set up a second safe zone when we had more than 18 people online?
    WallyTrooper = TrooperWally

Wally is now on Steam!

As we decide how to do things, like how to organize safe zones, number required on the ground vs those in the air etc I'll edit the original post.

@Trooper, you might not have drawn it but it comes up in google images with a link to your post first, so google must thing you did it! If google says so it must be true.

Steam ID

I think enforcing landings only at designated locations (two), marked by smoke, and also designating approaches with smoke, would work. Have people call out. Pilot: "Coming in to LZ!" Ground crew: "Green/Purple is free" or "LZ is busy, hold".

I think this could work, as long as SL keeps reminding people from what direction to fly in from (mark with orange smoke, for either LZ, perhaps?) and keep different coloured smoke up at the LZs.

That's something I'd like to see more of, pilots telling us they're coming in for repairs.

Some of you do it, some dont. It's very handy to know when someone is coming in for landing for us, so we can be there to get you back out ASAP.

Steam ID

I'd like to try my hands at leading TopGir for a night, and try to push for stuff like this, on the organisational side of things.

Network Hub
    I've thought for a while that if we start splitting by role it could be:

Rock: Armor - hard and tough.
    Paper: Air - paper aeroplanes!
    Shotgun: Infantry - speaks for itself!

Activated Node
    Quote Originally Posted by EsotericReverie View Post
    I think enforcing landings only at designated locations (two), marked by smoke, and also designating approaches with smoke, would work. Have people call out. Pilot: "Coming in to LZ!" Ground crew: "Green/Purple is free" or "LZ is busy, hold".

I think this could work, as long as SL keeps reminding people from what direction to fly in from (mark with orange smoke, for either LZ, perhaps?) and keep different coloured smoke up at the LZs.
    Could get difficult for colourblind people, ie. me!

There would also have to be a provision for emergency repairs really too, theres been a number of occasions where I've just about limped back to the safe zone whilst on fire and dare not even land my Sycthe cause the gentlest of bumps with the ground would result in instant 'splosions. Having to hang around wouldn't really work there.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus mickygor's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Loki_MGF View Post
    Could get difficult for colourblind people, ie. me!

There would also have to be a provision for emergency repairs really too, theres been a number of occasions where I've just about limped back to the safe zone whilst on fire and dare not even land my Sycthe cause the gentlest of bumps with the ground would result in instant 'splosions. Having to hang around wouldn't really work there.
    Could pull a repair sunderer as well as an ammo sunderer. That way hovering above it would keep you alive.
    Itsbastiat, Dawngate
    Bastiat, Planetside 2, Miller NC
    Therin Katta, FFXIV, Cerberus

Quote Originally Posted by mickygor View Post
    Could pull a repair sunderer as well as an ammo sunderer. That way hovering above it would keep you alive.
    We did have a repair sunderer in the initial setup, but found it to be pretty redundant. Perhaps it has its use in emergency repairs though.

We found the repair Sundy just caused more issues than it was worth. Hovering is fine as long as you don't crush the engineers trying to fix you.

Steam ID