Running out of ideas. Any fresh ones that you guys can think of?

Okay the cut the story short I have a machine here with an Asus P5NE-SLI motherboard, a q6600 CPU ( not over clocked) a 600 Watt Corsair PSU, a standard 320gb HDD with Windows 7 home premium installed.

For some odd reason the machine will only post and actually go into Windows with an old Radeon X600 256mb Card, I have tried putting in a Nvidia 210, you would of expected it to run as this is an Nvidia 650i Chipset motherboard and it didn't work. I then got my hands on a Nvidia 620 Card and that didn't work either and I'm running out of ideas. It keeps flaring up with either a ram issue (the beep codes are now starting to sound too familiar) when I try and put in some corsair ram that according to the vendor list should work nice and happily and it works according to Memtest86 or a Video card issue.

I know that the PCIe Slots are 1.1 and that both Nvidia cards are PCIe 2 but I thought that it was backwards compatible and that you didn't actually bottle neck that much (losing about 5% performance which is perfectly acceptable).

Have I lost the plot or is it simply that the motherboard is just being extremely picky?

Cheers in advance,

Slick_101
    Official RPS Thread argument catalyst.

Here's an idea: a title that describes what the thread is about!

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Either the power supply isn't putting out reliable current, the GPU socket is faulty or the motherboard's screwed.

Clear the slot of any dust and dirt (and check it for burns/scars) - try a different PSU - if that doesn't fix it, it's the motherboard, live with it or replace it.

I have an old mobo here which is picky-as-hell with regard to GPUs and memory - it will work for eons and then you'll power-it-up one day and it will fail to post or crash during startup. If you remove one of it's memory DIMMs (doesn't matter which one) it will then work for days/weeks. You can even put the DIMM back and it will continue for work and then one day - back to square 1.

Same deal with GPUs - change the GPU, works for a while then gets moody - change the GPU and it works, swap them back , still works for a few days/weeks and then - you get the idea.

Tried changing the PSU - made no difference - tried about 10 different DIMMs and 4 GPUs and they ALL cause the problem.

I can live with it so it stays but if I didn't need a 'spare' XP machine for testing stuff, it would be in a skip...

It's cpu fan is held on with self-tappers mind? :)
    Last edited by trjp; 04-07-2013 at 03:42 PM.

Do apologise about the title, this has been driving me insane!

In regards to the power supply it's a brand new Corsair builder series 600 watt, I've had it less than 3 days. Thanks for the reply though Trjp. going to take a peak at the slot and see if there is any burns/marks. I just can't get my head around the fact that it's working perfectly happy with the rubbish ram I've got ( A data 2 gig stick) and yet it doesn't like corsair at all which I've always thought to be good ram, the same in regards to the graphics card.
    Last edited by slick_101; 04-07-2013 at 05:28 PM.
    Official RPS Thread argument catalyst.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Sparkasaurusmex's Avatar
    The fact that the PSU is new sort of supports the idea that it could be the problem. Might just be faulty?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    The simple fact is that some motherboards don't get on with some cards/RAM - with newer boards is weird compatibility issues often resolved with BIOS patches but with older boards there obviously isn't the support.

There's some arcane gubbins in how power is distributed around mobos too - I've had mobos which blew-up RAM - mobos which blew-up GPUs and one which actually blew-up PSUs!!