Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by Wengart View Post
    A release is a release though. It gets news sites to post about it and generates word of mouth. He is squandering marketing potential.

Anecdotal, but I would have purchased it on the day it went live. I went to his site with credit card in hand. Now I am fine with waiting and hearing more about it.
    He did almost no publicity around this at all - and by the looks of it he doesn't need to.

You're clearing in the "GOTTAHAVEITNOW" club - you'll be back in due course...

Secondary Hivemind Nexus gundato's Avatar
    To everyone saying this is going to impact sales and hurt them forever:

Diablo 3
    Sim City
    ANY mmo

All of those have rocky as hell starts (hell, even rockier if you factor in that you can pay but not play) and the sales don't seem impacted in the slightest.

Quote Originally Posted by Sparkasaurusmex View Post
    Well the only thing that really needs to be solid in an early state is the movement and fighting mechanics. If they have that down already this could turn out really well.
    Yeah, as long as I can move and explore the world with a sailboat and paraglider, I am horny as hell.
    Steam: Gundato
    PSN: Gundato
    If you want me on either service, I suggest PMing me here first to let me know who you are.

Network Hub
    Quote Originally Posted by gundato View Post

Diablo 3
    Sim City
    ANY mmo

All of those have rocky as hell starts (hell, even rockier if you factor in that you can pay but not play) and the sales don't seem impacted in the slightest.
    If you're talking about the latest SimCity, you'd be incorrect. The pre-orders for SC were strong - over 1,000,000. But since launch they've sold only about 1/2 that many in all the time since release. There's little doubt that the problems at launch (and with the product itself) have hurt overall sales.

In this case, however, I don't think the alpha launch issues will have any demonstrable impact on sales. It's an alpha only. The product has flown under the radar so very few people - and no one outside hardcore gamers - know about it. There's plenty of time to make up for the small number of postponed sales due to their store problems. It's simply not comparable to the release of an AAA title since the sales on a title like this will come in over time (and only will spike if it gets on Steam).

Back to the game itself...

I toyed around with it briefly. It's beautiful, cute and has a great deal of potential. But at this stage it feels like an empty world. The mobs are far apart and the direction nill. I found the first big city, but there was nothing to do in it except visit a couple of shops. I couldn't even find a quest-giver. Right now it seems like a wonderful canvas, but no one has really applied much paint yet. Should the content be added, the game holds remarkable potential.

Quote Originally Posted by Granath View Post
    If you're talking about the latest SimCity, you'd be incorrect. The pre-orders for SC were strong - over 1,000,000. But since launch they've sold only about 1/2 that many in all the time since release. There's little doubt that the problems at launch (and with the product itself) have hurt overall sales.
    Okay, where does your evidence suggest it was the launch problems and not overall quality issues? We have no evidence to suggest people are not buying it because of server issues that don't exist anymore (especially seeing as how Diablo 3 and the like didn't seem to be affected).

And honestly, if they made over a million sales in the first week for a non-AAA game, that is pretty god damned good. But please, keep grasping at straws on why Sim City was bad (rather than actually complaining about why it was bad :p).
    If you want me on either service, I suggest PMing me here first to let me know who you are.

Okay, where does your evidence suggest it was the launch problems and not overall quality issues? We have no evidence to suggest people are not buying it because of server issues that don't exist anymore (especially seeing as how Diablo 3 and the like didn't seem to be affected).
    ...but there's no evidence to support that it wasn't the launch either. Which makes the entire discussion pointless.
    And honestly, even though we can't confirm it, the horrible PR they got from their terrible launch is by far the most logical thing to blame for their poor sales.
    Now, do I think this will translate to cube world's release? No, not really. It's a different sort of bad opening; I'm going to buy cube world the second it comes back on sale regardless of this launch and how annoying it is. And I doubt there are many people who would have bought the game before this and are now going to avoid it. With simcity, I would have bought it day 1 if it weren't for all of the horror stories that started circulating about it.

And honestly, if they made over a million sales in the first week for a non-AAA game, that is pretty god damned good. But please, keep grasping at straws on why Sim City was bad (rather than actually complaining about why it was bad :p).
    Sim city isn't AAA? I mean, I'm sure that there are games with bigger budgets, but overall I didn't think any major release from EA could be anything but AAA. Is there some sort of precise definition for AAA now?

Quote Originally Posted by Protoman View Post
    ...but there's no evidence to support that it wasn't the launch either. Which makes the entire discussion pointless.
    Except that we can easily say that SC, Diablo 3, and the like "sold well", regardless of these "horrible and screwed up launches"

And honestly, even though we can't confirm it, the horrible PR they got from their terrible launch is by far the most logical thing to blame for their poor sales.
    Except that none of those games had poor sales (except maybe Sim City, but it was probably still good profits compared to what it cost to make and run, and EA continue to poop out DLC)...

Sim city isn't AAA? I mean, I'm sure that there are games with bigger budgets, but overall I didn't think any major release from EA could be anything but AAA. Is there some sort of precise definition for AAA now?
    1.6 million sales in the first two months. Probably not an amazing launch, but it was also a "niche" title to begin with.

EA haven't made it public how much they spent to make the game (or if they have, I can't find it in the time it took for the next episode of The Guild to download through amazon unbox), but let's consider the costs:

Voice acting: No idea as I haven't played, but it is safe to bet that you probably have very limited dialogue from a few "advisors", so let's go with "cheap"
    Art assets and models: It isn't a gorgeous game and I suspect they reused assets for their various social games and the like, so let's say "average"
    Advertisement: maybe I missed a huge TV campaign (I barely watch TV these days), but most of the advertising seemed limited to a few ads in magazines and various websites. Considering that even indie devs can afford that, it can't be too bad.
    So that puts most of their costs on actual development and server infrastructure, and I think we can all agree they half-assed that :p

Also, EA have historically made both "AAA games" and "niche games", with the former helping to support the latter. Remember, there was a time that The Sims was a HUGE risk. And basically any Molyneux game. Hell, there was a time when even the Battlefields were kind of a risk since they largely came out during the era of arena shooters.
    Lately they are focusing on only "AAA" and mobile games, which is similar. And probably MUCH more profitable.

Except that we can easily say that SC, Diablo 3, and the like "sold well", regardless of these "horrible and screwed up launches"
    I'm still not sure how well SC sold (although unless one of us works for EA and knows the exact projected profits for the game, there's no way we can say for sure whether it was good or bad profit-wise.)

Also, EA have historically made both "AAA games" and "niche games", with the former helping to support the latter. Remember, there was a time that The Sims was a HUGE risk. And basically any Molyneux game. Hell, there was a time when even the Battlefields were kind of a risk since they largely came out during the era of arena shooters.
    Lately they are focusing on only "AAA" and mobile games, which is similar. And probably MUCH more profitable.
    I honestly don't know that EA considered Sim City a "niche" title, though. Sim City seems like exactly the sort of thing that has the potential to appeal to more casual gamers, and if it were for fans of the old sim city games they never would have introduced always-on DRM. If they aren't currently making, or at least have plans to make a port of sim city to tablets, I would be kind of surprised.

Network Hub
    Quote Originally Posted by trjp View Post
    He did almost no publicity around this at all - and by the looks of it he doesn't need to.

You're clearing in the "GOTTAHAVEITNOW" club - you'll be back in due course...
    He didn't do any publicity, but you don't need to when Notch is tweeting to his 1.2 million followers about your game.

Personally I went from a purchase on alpha release to maybe getting it if it is cheap and good/ I don't really care that much it, and it will end up in a bundle and I can get it for a dollar.

There was a lot of release hype built up around this game, and he managed to squander it.

It will, at the least, cut down on people blind purchasing, and therefore hurt his sales.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Ehhh. Yup, that's the entirety of my reaction to it. I really want to like it, I'm kinda just bouncing off it because it punishes the solo player really quite hard and because it just doesn't play well.

The game is all about two things: Exploration and combat. The latter of those kinda sucks a bit right now. Enemies are all huge damage sponges, with boss enemies being criminally so. My main issue with the combat though largely boils down to animation; press the attack button and you go through a slow fixed animation for that attack. No dodging, no carefully ranging yourself to hit the enemy without being hit yourself, no strafing around enemy attacks, you basically just hold LMB and watch hp bars go down (simplification obviously, but a depressingly small one), if your HP bar goes down first, run away and use a potion, rinse, repeat.

Basically the gameplay part of the game has the depth of a teaspoon as things stand, even Minecraft's combat is more hands on and compelling. Oh, and the exploration part of the game is sealed off behind a brick wall to me, because anything remotely interesting is filled with damage sponge enemies to the point of impossibility for the solo player.

I can't help but feel that their forums are being left down deliberately to scoop up 'day one' buyers before they fill with negative feedback, but maybe that's just me being a cynic.

Middle Mouse Button and a Direction to Dodge, DarkFenix. :)

Also, I personally find climbing around and up things to be pretty fun. Use of the CTRL key when leaping around roof/cliff/tree tops gives it a slight Assassin's Creed vibe. :D

Lesser Hivemind Node

Diablo 3
    Sim City
    ANY mmo
    You're joking, right?

How you can compare ~10 years old franchises with millions of fans who were starving for years for new title (especially D3 fans) to some game made by unknown dev?

Quote Originally Posted by DarkFenix View Post
    Ehhh. Yup, that's the entirety of my reaction to it. I really want to like it, I'm kinda just bouncing off it because it punishes the solo player really quite hard and because it just doesn't play well.

I can't help but feel that their forums are being left down deliberately to scoop up 'day one' buyers before they fill with negative feedback, but maybe that's just me being a cynic.
    That's pretty much what I expected. I don't see how a game like this can survive without more Minecrafty elements such as building and landscaping unless it has really good combat. Oh well, there is hope for it yet and beta is beta.

Quote Originally Posted by DarkFenix View Post
    damage sponges
    I'd be extremely surprised if the current stats bore any relation at all to the final intention. It's fairly obvious it's just placeholder numbers typed in at random.

And as for building, it's planned. There was a dev video about it.

Network Hub
    Quote Originally Posted by GameCat View Post
    You're joking, right?

How you can compare ~10 years old franchises with millions of fans who were starving for years for new title (especially D3 fans) to some game made by unknown dev?
    Easy to do when someone is deluded or drunk. :)

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    The progress is very slow and the continents are giganteous.

I finnaly managed to walk to a different biome: a desert one. There I got a "desert runner" (that looks like a chocobo )

Its a great game :D

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Quote Originally Posted by Axyl View Post
    Middle Mouse Button and a Direction to Dodge, DarkFenix. :)
    I am aware, but for starters MMB is an obnoxiously difficult button to use quickly (with no means to rebind keys as yet) and secondly the current implementation adds no depth.

Enemy animations are too simplistic for decent tells on their attacks (making it either guesswork or memory work, neither of which is good design), other enemies simply attack continuously or attack in groups, making dodging worthless (particularly with the 'zombie AI' in which all enemies simply move towards you in a straight line and attack repeatedly, very annoying when considering that enemies move at the same speed as you and have the same attack range). Blocking seems similarly worthless, lasting almost no time at all even without being hit, in fact its entire implementation seems to consist of a gimmicky, weak counterattack move.

It seems to me that the only way to actually do much in combat is play with someone using a water mage, that way they can heal you up so that your hp bar doesn't go down as the enemy's does.

Oh, another gripe I thought of. Good bloody luck making any kind of metal weapon, iron deposits only spawn in caves, and caves in CW are apparently an incredible rarity. That was always something I liked in Minecraft, the world generator filled the world with caves, overlapping one another and winding all over the place. It was very easy to get lost in a huge cave network (in fact I did get lost a fair few times until I used my brain and left a proverbial breadcrumb trail) and they were filled with resources.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    For iron, find mountains. Mountains have lots of caves.

Combat is good, and sometimes gets very good. I am sorry if you don't find it complex enough. Its not a combat game, is a exploring game. Thats is.

You know that type of players that in Minecraft never build anything, but start walking in some random direction, exploring large areas of terrain so much that a admin has to warn them, because are wasting server space? this game is for them. You can walk for 6 hours in Cube World, and you will rewarded by seeing new biomes with new animals, and interesting hunting places and interesting boss mobs.

Network Hub
    Quote Originally Posted by Tei View Post

Combat is good, and sometimes gets very good. I am sorry if you don't find it complex enough. Its not a combat game, is a exploring game. Thats is.

You know that type of players that in Minecraft never build anything, but start walking in some random direction, exploring large areas of terrain so much that a admin has to warn them, because are wasting server space? this game is for them. You can walk for 6 hours in Cube World, and you will rewarded by seeing new biomes with new animals, and interesting hunting places and interesting boss mobs.
    As a new player I couldn't walk 6 seconds in any direction without being pwned by a solitary fly.. yes a fly. I battled him for about 3 minutes then died.

Lesser Hivemind Node

Is mountains a specific biome, or are we talking just the mountains which pop up normally? If it's the former, I'll have to spend hours searching for said biome. If it's the latter I'll have to spend hours anyway, because maybe one in every five 'mountains' has a small cave with one or two iron deposits.

And it's pretty hard to say it's not a combat game. I mean, CW introduces itself as "A Voxel-based Exploration RPG", and given that we're clearly talking the 'action RPG' end of the spectrum, combat is very much an integral part. Well, that plus the fact that combat is placed as a barrier between me and exploration (hell it even demands I grind 6 level ups each just to use the hang glider and boat).

Perhaps he just needs to 'rebalance' things somewhat. Minecraft and Terraria both did this fine, early game gear was available for little effort or risk, while endgame gear took a lot of time and effort. In Cube World I'm immediately dumped in an area with enemies that can kick my arse with a weapon so weak I have to hack away at small harmless animals for half a minute to kill them, and even the first gear I can create is a hellish (and thankless, after all I'm doing all that for an extra 0.5 damage or something) grind. Also rebalancing according to the number of players would be nice, or adding difficulty settings; I quite like the idea of being able to wander around and see the sights, but the game is currently trying so hard to stop me.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus pakoito's Avatar

Hey, that's me! Lvl 11, playing solo mostly. Water mage is a good take on the battlepriest archetype. Bosses hit for too much right now so I may have to explore/grind a couple more levels and items. It doesn't matter because I keep seeing pretties and killing things on the way.

So far I think I have played it more than minecraft. I always waited for MC to get a combat-dungeon-quest system and interesting mobs, but it never happened.

Also for the guy asking for mountains, there are valley dungeons but I haven't seen many ores there.