Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

[Merged]Realms of Arkania remake lives, is out soon

http://store.steampowered.com/app/237550/

Yep, announced sometime at the beginning of the year it now appeared on Steam and it's out at July the 30th. Sadly, there still is next to no information available. The developer that is listed on Steam, Crafty Studios, doesn't mention anything on their website that looks even remotely like a Dark Eye game and even the publisher UIG Entertainment, best known for various simulators, doesn't offer more than the original press release and plenty of broken links. It's not exactly a constellation that inspires confidence.
    The (German) trailer mentions revised rules, new quests and encounters. Besides from that it doesn't look half bad.
    New! The Fall of Infinite Games 2014 - A handy release schedule for the dark season.
    Not so new anymore! Thrust Issues: A Marvelous Guide to Fencing in Dark Souls 2

to wound the autumnal city.

Banned
    What's Realms of Arkania?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    I notice with some amusement that they've spelled "Arkania" as "Arcania" on the Steam shop mini-pic/icon...

Secondary Hivemind Nexus vinraith's Avatar
    This looks spectacular, it's almost too much to hope they've preserved the gameplay of the original while updating the visuals and without introducing any massive bugs. Fingers crossed!

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Wolfenswan's Avatar
    Great news. But it also reminds me how much I'd love to see a Darklands remake.

Quote Originally Posted by hamster View Post
    What's Realms of Arkania?
    Basically D&D in medieval Europe with a more down-to-earth approach than the later D&D editions, i.e. your party usually wont end up as demigods summoning dragon heads and swinging +20 swords.

The 1990s PC games (available on gog) were fantastic games and I loved the party system.

It's the kind of game that simulates the deterioration of your boots as you wander across the world map. The kind of game that has stores that contain enormous amounts of mundane stuff that have no use. The kind of game that has no in-game spell descriptions and instead spells with not-quite Latin names.
    The kind of game where David Bowie is the king of elves.

New! The Fall of Infinite Games 2014 - A handy release schedule for the dark season.
    Not so new anymore! Thrust Issues: A Marvelous Guide to Fencing in Dark Souls 2

to wound the autumnal city.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus vinraith's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Anthile View Post
    The kind of game where David Bowie is the king of elves.
    In other words, it's historically accurate.

Banned
    Urgh just saw the screenshots. Looks like Darklands. Are major areas of the cities also background pictures with text?

Hmmm. :/

It 'requires' internet.. is that for gameplay, or because you have to dl it from steam?

Quote Originally Posted by hamster View Post
    Urgh just saw the screenshots. Looks like Darklands. Are major areas of the cities also background pictures with text?
    Actually no, it's fully realised in 3D.. There's a video up now. It looks pretty damned sweet.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Malawi Frontier Guard's Avatar
    The game will almost inevitably be clunky and buggy. I dare go out on a limb here.

Maybe it will be enjoyable despite that. We will see in a couple of weeks when people either shout and want their money back, or stop posting on internet forums for a couple of days because they're playing the game. No middle ground, obviously.

The RoA series was one of those things that was very interesting but when it came around to playing it proved to be that little bit too clunky.

Network Hub
    I played the first game on the Amiga originally, and loved it's awesome crpg detail. Then more recently i got the DRM free GoG versions of the trilogy and need to find time to get back to it. One of my favourite crpg's of all time, although i'm not convinced by this '3D remake', but will wait and see. If i can get it non-Steam then i may give it some money?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Malawi Frontier Guard's Avatar
    Game is out on Steam. I won't make the sacrifice, surely there is someone else...

I'm interested by this but find it a little bit worrying that no one has even talked about it anywhere until then...

Well, I pre-ordered this game, so will probably/hopefully be able to tell you about it this evening. If I get further then the character/party creation that is :)
    Mijn Uitlaatklep - My (Dutch) blog about games, music and more

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Wolfenswan's Avatar
    Looking through the german forums it seems to be a rushed release, the game being unplayable for many. A day 1 patch is suppoed to be released later today. Also perfomance issues for some, despite having decent rigs.

On the plus side the devs have been quite active in the community forums and I doubt the existing issues won't be adressed. The question is how fast they get it in a playable state for everyone and if the problems now cause it to bomb in reviews and bad sales.
    Last edited by Wolfenswan; 30-07-2013 at 12:00 PM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus

Realms of Arkania is back and out now

and I'm getting a strange nagging feeling that it's resurrection has not gone awfully well...

http://steamcommunity.com/app/237550/discussions/

Let's hope they accidentally released a version from about 1 year ago - otherwise - erm...

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Oh-ho!

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Well... it looks better than the original...

It's more of a concern that apparently nothing works properly.
    Irrelevant on further examination of the rest of the thread.