STO Dilithium Gathering Tips

I want everyone to post tips for getting Dilithium.

The ones I found out, thanks Yargh, were:

- Contraband! If you have multiple characters, getting 5 contraband shouldnt take too long (you can probably get them once a day, if not even more) and then you can turn them in at either DS9, K7 and maybe somewhere else's Security Officers (You cant do multiple Turn In Contraband missions per day, though)

- The Deferi Missions are dailies you can do in the Orellius Block and give you about 3k dilithium for doing all of them.

- Dilithium mining missions in the Beta Ursae Block give you about 500dil or so. More so if you have a rich mining claim, which can be gotten by unlocking boxes.

- Borg elite STFs (and the Crystalline Entity), you'll get 960 dilithium per run. (JG)
    Last edited by QuantaCat; 05-07-2013 at 05:18 PM.
    - Tom De Roeck.

verse publications & The Shopkeeper, an interactive short.

"Quantacat's name is still recognised even if he watches on with detached eyes like Peter Molyneux over a cube in 3D space, staring at it with tears in his eyes, softly whispering... Someday they'll get it."

Secondary Hivemind Nexus The JG Man's Avatar
    If you're capable of running the Borg elite STFs (and the Crystalline Entity), you'll get 960 dilithium per run, which can will likely be the quickest investment of time for greatest yield.
    Powered by Steam. And biscuits. I'm also a twit and dabble in creative writing.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus bonkers's Avatar
    Maybe it would be useful to try to get regular groups together to do those? But I have never done them (only got into the borg event once by accident and was instakilled) so I don't know what is required to do them effectively. I doubt I could highly contribute at 42.
    (Firefall: bug shot) // (PS2: bobby is going home)
    -remove spaces-

regular borg stfs give you about 480 dil. they are fun with a team and open to level 44 upwards.

elite stfs however need atleast level 50 and a bunch of mkXII gear and consoles to match.
    - Tom De Roeck.

"Quantacat's name is still recognised even if he watches on with detached eyes like Peter Molyneux over a cube in 3D space, staring at it with tears in his eyes, softly whispering... Someday they'll get it."

Secondary Hivemind Nexus bonkers's Avatar
    Ah okay. So back to the grind for me :D

PS: Dear lord this game is sooooo confusing with all its currencies and missions that all sound the same.
    (Firefall: bug shot) // (PS2: bobby is going home)
    -remove spaces-

dont forget to ask around in fleet chat or on mumble in case anyone's on.
    - Tom De Roeck.

Network Hub
    more on contraband: the 'turn in' mission only takes 4 hours so you can run several in a day.

Security officer locations:

Federation Security Officers can be found at the following locations:

Klingon Security Officers can be found at the following locations:

• Inside the Council Chambers of the Great Hall in First City
    • In the central area of Ganalda Station.
    • The Promenade replimat near exchange entrance on Deep Space 9

Quote Originally Posted by QuantaCat View Post
    elite stfs however need atleast level 50 and a bunch of mkXII gear and consoles to match.
    I'd say that's a bit of a misnomer, actually. Mark 11 gear of a good quality (blues) across the board is good. Remember, you get Mark 12 stuff from the elites, so you shouldn't be expected to have that level gear going into them. Does it significantly help? Yes. but it's absolutely not required.

thats actually good to know; I thought you got the good MkXII ones from reputation projects or dil stores.
    - Tom De Roeck.

Well you do, but it's not required to beat the elites. If you beat the bonus objective in an elite, you should get a drop of a Mk 12 item at the end (be it blue or purple). It's rare, but then if you're doing an elite run, the drop chance of good items is up anyhow, so they're worth doing in that sense.

well now that ive found a pretty good setup I might actually try an elite.
    - Tom De Roeck.

Quote Originally Posted by The JG Man View Post
    I'd say that's a bit of a misnomer, actually. Mark 11 gear of a good quality (blues) across the board is good. Remember, you get Mark 12 stuff from the elites, so you shouldn't be expected to have that level gear going into them. Does it significantly help? Yes. but it's absolutely not required.
    Yeah, know what to do and being able to work as a team is way more important. I'd take a group of people kitted out with white mk10 gear who know what to do over a bunch of people rocking purple mk12 who can't work together.

I suggest we arrange a time to do some fleet STF training. Get a couple of elite vets and a couple of people who are new to it and do some stress free training runs.

sounds like a plan.

Also, the new fleet space weapon store is open, sporting adv fleet versions of every colour.
    - Tom De Roeck.

Lesser Hivemind Node internetonsetadd's Avatar
    Path to 2409 event at Star Fleet Academy. Seems to happen about twice a day, can be done daily. Talk to Commanda Viala (right-most round building), acquire the two missions, get your two data chips from the library computer to the left, answer trivia question at the bank of computers, return to Viala, 480 dil. Takes about a minute, depending on where you beam in.

Answers to questions: http://sto.gamepedia.com/Lore

Bonus: some of the datachips may be rarer than others, considering that some of them go for hundreds of thousands or even many millions of EC. I got one (vol. 8 ch. 8) that's going for 10 million now. So maybe don't use them for the lore accolade unless you check and they're relatively worthless. (AFAIK the lore accolades don't get you much of anything.)
    Last edited by internetonsetadd; 10-07-2013 at 06:35 PM. Reason: er, not 2049

Explore Strange New Worlds: 1440 dilithium, from Lt. Grall. Daily or close to it. The one I just did took about 10 minutes, but it can take longer if you encounter hostiles or ground missions. Probably best to do during the multiphasic event since there's usually a lot of scanning involved.

Edit: I highly recommend just leaving the system if you encounter a ground mission with hostiles. I've found them to be a flagrant and seemingly intentional waste of time rivaled only by the Academy Event. In fact, if you're just there for the dilithium, leave any system other than those with five simple anomaly scans.

Edit2: After doing a couple more I suspect this is a crapshoot. Since the maps are often new, the load times are frequently long, and many of the missions contain ground facilities clearly designed to drag out the time to completion. I accidentally left my difficulty on advanced, so that was my fault. Regardless, the enemies seem pretty OP compared to all other ground missions I've done (some Nausicans just killed me the second I walked up to them), and, worse, there are no re-spawn checkpoints. This one can easily turn into a 30 min+ slogfest. I'll be avoiding.
    Last edited by internetonsetadd; 16-07-2013 at 08:04 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by internetonsetadd View Post
    Explore Strange New Worlds: 1440 dilithium, from Lt. Grall. Daily or close to it. The one I just did took about 10 minutes, but it can take longer if you encounter hostiles or ground missions. Probably best to do during the multiphasic event since there's usually a lot of scanning involved.
    sounds good
    - Tom De Roeck.

Orion Contraband mission: from Yamlon Nuk in the bar in Paradise City on Nimbus, 20 hour cooldown, 480 dil. You get one minute to find five marked crates or whatnot. It should take about 35-40 seconds if you start with the two crates on the left as you're heading back toward the bar from the starting point. I think they're always the same. Not positive but I think it also gave me one contraband.

Also, perhaps a bug but the markers on your minimap don't disappear after you've interacted with each crate. Don't let that fluster you. :)

Edit: Didn't realize that the other two quests he gives are also for dilithium--480 and up to 680, depending on how you do. So 1640 total for about 6 minutes of your time.
    Last edited by internetonsetadd; 14-07-2013 at 04:18 AM.

great! Keep em coming.
    - Tom De Roeck.

Obscure Node
    There's also:
    Halting the Gorn Advance,
    Klingon Scout Force
    The Big Dig

You hail one of the admirals for them and once active - go through the Fleet PvE queue to get in one. Once there you'll get the about 1000 dilithium for doing the actual mission, plus the 500 odd you get for loading through the PvE queue.