Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

DirectX 11.2 revealed, Windows 8.1 and Xbox One only video included

http://www.dsogaming.com/news/direct...-8-1-xbox-one/

Well, we all saw that coming. In an attempt to promote its latest OS, Microsoft has officially revealed the new version of its DX API. And as you may have guessed, it is coming exclusively on Windows 8.1 and Xbox One. DirectX 11.2 was presented at its Build Conference, and you can find the keynotes video below. Perhaps the best feature of DX11.2, Tiled Resources, is demoed at around the first one hour mark. With Tiled Resources, Direct3D 11.2 introduces support for hardware virtual resources, allowing the creation of massive textures using minimal memory, and permitting improved bandwidth efficiency. Let’s see now how PC gamers and developers will respond to Microsoft’s move, and whether the former will be forced to upgrade their systems – yet again – for this DX exclusivity!

[UPDATE]

NeoGAF’s member ‘LukasTaves‘ shared the five key features of DirectX 11.2:

- Hardware overlay support (Similar to Durango’s display panes, allows the developer to render the 3d graphics of the app at lower than native resolution, while keeping 2d ui at native res composing the final frame at a native resolution). Developers can also target a framerate and let the gpu dynamically scales the 3d graphics to try to meet that criteria (basically dynamic resolution changing is now fully supported by the api)

- HSL shader linking. W8.1 store apps can compile shaders in runtime, so the behavior of the shaders can be dynamic. However compiling is slow, so this feature allows you to pre-compile shaders at build time and link them at runtime, this way you can create new dynamic shaders without the performance hit. Dynamics shaders could be used for instance for a game to test the performance of the device it’s going to run and modify to a simpler or a more complex version of the shader to maintain the best visual quality while maintaining the target framerate. It’s also useful for building shader library dlls that can be shared among different projects and each app decides how to build their shaders from this library.
    - Mappeable gpu buffers. This is great for compute scenarios with collaboration of the cpu and gpu. They provide api support for the cpu directly access the gpu memory without needing to copy the buffer back and forth. For 11.2 it’s going to be onlye for compute so it’s only buffers, not graphical objects.
    - Low latency present API. Basically api support for the system to tell the app when it’s the best time to start rendering and showing the content on screen, to allow the shortest latency possible. By using this api they were able to reduce latency from 3 frames (at 60fps) to less than 1.
    - Tiled Resources which is api support for hardware accelerated virtual texturing. It’s basically hardware support for mega texturing.

Last edited by NoodleFighter; 28-06-2013 at 06:38 AM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus soldant's Avatar
    Windows 8.1 is a free update for current Win 8 users, isn't it? If so - I don't see a problem.

The argument and conspiracy over Dx10 being Vista-exclusive was a load of nothing - it relied on the new display driver model which wasn't going to get ported back, and the absolute failure of the "Dx10 on XP" attempt should have demonstrated that one to everyone.

It's a curious move in terms of tech, but I'll wait and see what the reasons are before I condemn anybody.
    Nalano's Law - As an online gaming discussion regarding restrictions grows longer, the probability of a post likening the topic to the Democratic People's Republic of Korea approaches one.
    Soldant's Law - A person will happily suspend their moral values if they can express moral outrage by doing so.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Sparkasaurusmex's Avatar
    This would be a good time for android desktop

edit- wait isn't that called linux?

So, how many years will pass before this DX 11.2 becomes ubiquitous? Also, DX 10 came with Vista, but half a decade later we still have games which need not more than DX 9 (Skyrim anyone). Not to mention that by the time this DX is being extensively used by developers, other limitations of consoles will probably hamper technical advancement far more than potential benefits of DX 11.2 will be able to compensate for it.

With all that said, I cannot care anymore (yes, I know that I did invest effort to comment on this) about technical advancement of games. Will some DX magically enable us to encounter more believable and advanced AIs in games? Will it enable game developers to bring deeper and complex worlds for us to experience? I think not, but this is of course another story altogether, so I will stop here.
    Last edited by Nahru; 28-06-2013 at 09:27 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Nahru2 View Post
    Also, DX 10 came with Vista, but half a decade later we still have games which need not more than DX 9 (Skyrim anyone).
    That may be due to the rise of the consoles though, not because DX10 was bad (and it wasn't really all that good). We're entering a new console generation, things may change.
    Nalano's Law - As an online gaming discussion regarding restrictions grows longer, the probability of a post likening the topic to the Democratic People's Republic of Korea approaches one.
    Soldant's Law - A person will happily suspend their moral values if they can express moral outrage by doing so.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus squirrel's Avatar
    Whenever there is major update to Windows, it leaves me many sleepless nights worrying the bugs would corrupt my system. I recall there was such a bug of SP1 for Win7 which caused the system to freeze (and MS claimed that it was actually an old bug not addressed by SP1. I wonder though, I encountered it only AFTER updating to SP1), only sometime later it was patched out by the update KB948465).

And topic of DX10 brings back my sadness by my inability to access DX11. If I cannot upgrade, I am not gonna play Battlefield 4.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by soldant View Post
    That may be due to the rise of the consoles though, not because DX10 was bad (and it wasn't really all that good). We're entering a new console generation, things may change.
    Exactly. The 360 runs DX9. The Xbone will probably run at least 11.1. I think Windows 7 is going to get the shaft from AAA games pretty quickly

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Microsoft, please die in a fire.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus The JG Man's Avatar
    So, how many years will pass before this DX 11.2 becomes ubiquitous?
    When parts of it are used in DX12, which everyone will get with Win9 after Microsoft "Used customer feedback to learn from previous mistakes".
    Powered by Steam. And biscuits. I'm also a twit and dabble in creative writing.

Banned
    Excellent. There's a point in buying a new GPU in that case...right? It won't be another dx9/dx10 thing would it? I recall dx10 actually offered worse performance and added unique that was absent in dx9.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Hypernetic's Avatar
    Does this require new hardware or will DX11.1 cards be able to utilize it?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Sakkura's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by hamster View Post
    Excellent. There's a point in buying a new GPU in that case...right? It won't be another dx9/dx10 thing would it? I recall dx10 actually offered worse performance and added unique that was absent in dx9.
    DX10 didn't offer worse performance.

Quote Originally Posted by Hypernetic View Post
    Does this require new hardware or will DX11.1 cards be able to utilize it?
    If it runs on the consoles, it should run on the Radeon HD 7000 series too. Same architecture.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus somini's Avatar
    So, how many years will pass before this DX 11.2 becomes ubiquitous?
    Infinite?

Bioshock used DX9 but that didn't stopped them in implementing that water stuff, a feature of DX10. And there's OpenGL.

So it seems Carmack was right, uh?
    Steam(shots), Imgur, Flickr, Bak'laag, why do you forsake me?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Casimir Effect's Avatar
    Is there a reason we should be particularly resentful or hateful of a company releasing their own proprietary software which they've spent money to develope on their own specific proprietary system?

Don't get me wrong, I would appreciate it if they released this for W7 as well. But really, it's their money and so their choice. Developers don't have to use it, at least as far as I understand. Really this can almost be interpreted as a good thing, as if enough developers and publishers are fed up with this kind of bullshit maybe they'll pull together and force a path away from being beholden to MS DirectX. I mean, such a thing has to be possible; and if it means eschewing Windows entirely then rock on the Linux revolution - so long as the open source hippies can get their shit together and at the very least provide a nice, standard package without streams of loathing and condescension about how you aren't a proper Linux user unless you can rattle off thirty bash commands per minute using only your dick.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus somini's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Casimir Effect View Post
    Is there a reason we should be particularly resentful or hateful of a company releasing their own proprietary software which they've spent money to develope on their own specific proprietary system?
    Windows 7 is also their proprietary system, and it actually has an user base.
    Many people like to point out that they tried to do the same thing with DX10 and it flopped really hard. SO we're actually selflessly helping Microsoft not too fall on the same error.

Well, I'm off to install a second keyboard in my underpants, as I'm currently using only ten appendages to type awk and sed commands. A 10% increase in productivity is nothing to be scoffed at.
    Steam(shots), Imgur, Flickr, Bak'laag, why do you forsake me?

Quote Originally Posted by Internet View Post
    Exactly. The 360 runs DX9. The Xbone will probably run at least 11.1. I think Windows 7 is going to get the shaft from AAA games pretty quickly
    The article says it'll run 11.2, so I guess with the release of the Xbone we'll see a shift. Unless the Xbone never sees developer support or Valve make Linux popular, which we know isn't going to happen.

Quote Originally Posted by Sakkura View Post
    DX10 didn't offer worse performance.
    Not technically but for most people it did - I remember back when it first came out on my mid-range system I didn't use Dx10 due to taking a fairly decent framerate hit without much in the way of visual fidelity. But that was in the early days.

Really this can almost be interpreted as a good thing, as if enough developers and publishers are fed up with this kind of bullshit maybe they'll pull together and force a path away from being beholden to MS DirectX.
    Remember when Vista came out and everyone was all like, "LOL THIS WILL NEVER CATCH ON THEY'LL PORT DX10 TO XP AND IT'LL BE AWESOME" and everything? Yeah. It never happened.

...so long as the open source hippies can get their shit together and at the very least provide a nice, standard package without streams of loathing and condescension about how you aren't a proper Linux user unless you can rattle off thirty bash commands per minute using only your dick.
    Not going to happen. Even something as basic as window managers and GPU drivers are still a really big deal in Linux land, and they haven't really gotten much better. Everybody's off playing their own game and breaking things when it suits them. It's the best example of why unrestricted wild-west situations are great for innovation, but also bad for compatibility. At least under Windows we have a common OS to work with. If Valve have any hope of really making a dent with Linux gaming (and Valve will be the only ones who can manage it, the Linux community have consistently failed over the years) they're likely to need to pick one distro and stick with it, and that's not going to make the community very happy. See also the "Why Linux Sucks" lectures on Youtube.

Not technically but for most people it did - I remember back when it first came out on my mid-range system I didn't use Dx10 due to taking a fairly decent framerate hit without much in the way of visual fidelity. But that was in the early days.
    That was because the developers used DirectX 10 to turn on new types of eyecandy. So it was simply a higher quality level, and that always lowers the framerate.

Remember when Vista came out and everyone was all like, "LOL THIS WILL NEVER CATCH ON THEY'LL PORT DX10 TO XP AND IT'LL BE AWESOME" and everything? Yeah. It never happened.
    Well, DX10 didn't really catch on anyway.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus gwathdring's Avatar
    If Valve have any hope of really making a dent with Linux gaming (and Valve will be the only ones who can manage it, the Linux community have consistently failed over the years) they're likely to need to pick one distro and stick with it, and that's not going to make the community very happy. See also the "Why Linux Sucks" lectures on Youtube.
    Isn't that exactly what they did?
    I think of [the Internet] as a grisly raw steak laid out on a porcelain benchtop in the sun, covered in chocolate hazelnut sauce. In the background plays Stardustís Music Sounds Better With You. Thereís lots of fog. --tomeoftom

You ruined his point by putting it in context thatís cheating -bull0

Quote Originally Posted by gwathdring View Post
    Isn't that exactly what they did?
    They only support Ubuntu but that's not enough - even when upgrading between Ubuntu distros you can still get major issues. Even then not everyone wants to use Ubuntu. What I meant was they need to pick a distro and effective adopt it and build Steam into it (or maybe build the distro around Steam)... which is allegedly what they're aiming for. There are far too many issues with Linux, particularly when it comes to compatibility, for Valve to really manage it any other way. Particularly when it comes to OS or component updates, which sometimes add very few useful features but frequently break compatibility. Again, see Why Linux Sucks.