Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Successes of crowd-funding, alpha-funding and indie

With all these new fangled payment and development models around it's easy to lose track of games: the old days of mega-marketing, a hyped up release date and a mass of reviews in every gaming publication aren't quite the same any more.

It's difficult to keep track of all these games, both released and in development, so perhaps we could refresh our memories and write up a load of them. Which promising or recently successful crowdfunded/alphafunded/indie games are you excited about?

Compendium of Awesome

I'll going to keep adding more to this list as I find them. Sorry if I put things in the wrong section:

Currently in closed development

• DwarfCorp A dwarf-fortress-alike with graphics akin to Populous
    • Maia (a sort of space dungeon keeper, according to a recent RPS article it will have tons of simulation which I am very excited about)
    • Wasteland 2 (praying it will take a bit of influence from the original fallouts and it looks very well organised)
    • Stonehearth a sandbox cute-voxel-medieval-looking open world RTS, as far as I can tell. Hugely popular on kickstarter. Not totally dissimilar to Castle Story and also asked for around 100k and got 700k!)
    • Project Eternity an old school RPG with creative ideas and a solid plan/team
    • Planescape Torment: Tides of Numenera (sequel to one of the best old school RPGs)
    • Clockwork Empires not sure if this technically qualifies but it looks incredible and has been quite easy to miss - a steampunk openworld RTS...? Looks alike Dwarf Fortress with the placement of pipes, axles etc. Made by the creators of Dungeons of Dredmor.
    • Star Citizen - received gigantic funding and has the potential to be amazing. I didn't/haven't backed it because I didn't quite understand how the gameplay was going to work and I am now concerned about the level of detail they are apparently putting in (functioning tables and showers in spaceships?)
    • Elite: Dangerous the other highly funded space game!
    • Frontiers is an exploration focused RPG that looks rather a lot like Morrowind
    • Divinity: Original Sin top-down openworld RPG, I still can't quite get my head around what this one would be like to play but it sounds like it could be awesome
    • Unclaimed World - beautiful strategy game involving colonising a planet with an emphasis on plant life. Looks really cool, still early in development, no new updates since February as of writing.
    • Sir, you are being hunted! the game being produced in part by Jim - to me it feels like this game has been made with Rock, Paper, Shotgun readers and their preferences perfectly in mind. It looks like it will be awesome. They've just finished adding mountain biomes on the blog.
    • Legend of Eisenwald - RPG with turn based battles, looks a little like Kings Bounty
    • Yogventures heavily inspired by minecraft but with fancier graphics
    • Starbound Looks a bit like terraria in space, not yet released.
    • The Stomping Land multiplayer tribal dinosaur survival
    • TUG - Multiplayer open world survival RPG with lots of social science involved
    • Banished A city building strategy game set in medieval times with a focus on tough survival, ETA mid-late 2013.
    • Dead State Turn based (3D) zombie RPG, looks slick
    • Shadowrun Returns Classic-style RPG I think...? Due a release very soon
    • Battle Worlds: Kronos - turn based strategy with hexes set in the future
    • Limit Theory - a procedural infinite open world space game with trading and fleet commanding.
    • Jagged Alliance: Flashback: A new Jagged Alliance game (reboot? ;) that is turn based and will be telling about the time before A.I.M. was found, in a cold war CIA vs KGB setting.
    • Age of Decadence: Historical RPG (very) loosely based on the Roman Empire, full of depth and detail, with a system in which everyone is neither good nor bad. And it's promising to be a not very forgiving game.

Alpha/beta can be accessed

• Starforge Sandbox minecraft-alike in a modern setting with pretty incredible graphics
    • Starsector - Apparently a more complex version of SPAZ (i.e. 2D space fleet management) and great game judging by what is being said on the forums here. Looking forward to this one.
    • Dysis - RTS set on strange-minecraft-looking space planet... things? Looks very cool.
    • Cube World Open-world RPG with minecraft-but-better landscapes. Open alpha just released.
    • Kenshi (open world future-samurai game with a squad and base building, available to buy but apparently still very rough around the edges at the moment)
    • Xenonauts Old school recreation of x-com. Looks pretty polished.
    • Starmade ...minecraft in space, with working spaceships built block-by-block. I believe it is free at the moment?
    • Castle Story (a sandbox RTS on floating sky islands, building with individual blocks. It asked for 80k but received 700k!)
    • Planetary Annihilation an RTS on a planetary scale with high unit counts and asteroids that can be crashed into planets. Alpha can be bought for a ridiculous price.
    • Dungeonmans has the potential to be a cool roguelike, currently doing incredibly well in the funding process. ETA 2014.
    • Planet Explorers - Looks like an open world RPG on a huge scale, again I am waiting for more polish before I try.
    • Project Zomboid (really cool idea, poor guys have had a horrible time developing it though, I think it is still not meant to be very polished, hopefully it will be great given time)
    • Overgrowth Looks good, regular updates, it seems to have been in development foreeever. Early access can be bought.
    • Scrumbleship has loads of incredible sounding physics features and heat simulation, looks a bit like another minecraft in space, and the kickstarter video had the most disgusting UI known to man - but I think it looks like it could be really cool.
    • Towns Heavily inspired by Dwarf Fortress, has been in open development for quite a while
    • Kerbal Space Program in alpha and already massively popular. Involves meticulous construction of a variety of space vehicles to produce a space program launching your little screaming men into space.
    • Prison Architect it's sort of like the classic management/theme hospital games but with a lot of new ideas and a much darker setting
    • Folk Tale Sandbox fantasy city builder, in the early stages of alphafunding at the moment

Released

• Faster Than Light (FTL) is a roguelikelike set in space where you manage a simple crew and spaceship against random encounters, I expect everyone already knows about it!
    • Expeditions: Conquistador: Great "exploration" game with turn-based battles (on hexes), set in the age of the conquistadors that set foot in Mid-America.
    • Don't Starve a 2D-ish survival game with a focus on crafting and (obviously) staving off hunger in a very surreal and stylised environment.

I remember one where the player organised the crew in a big 2D spaceship made by an enigmatic German guy... I am also trying to remember some other roguelikes? And 2D survival games that looked like terraria? I believe there were a few.
    Last edited by hexagonalbolts; 05-08-2013 at 12:08 AM.

Network Hub
    Distance
    http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfile.../?id=103111305

Don't even have to say anything, just watch the trailer. I believe that was kickstarted/ crowd funded.

The only way I know of it's existence is because I saw someone posting about it in some forum, who saw it on some gaming publication. So gaming publications still play a role.
    Last edited by hideinlight; 05-07-2013 at 04:36 PM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Most of the forumites gave Expeditions Conquistador moderately favorable impressions.
    Just started FTL, which is great.

Project Eternity is coming along fabulously.
    Shadowrun Returns is coming out soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Internet View Post
    Most of the forumites gave Expeditions Conquistador moderately favorable impressions.
    Just started FTL, which is great.

Project Eternity is coming along fabulously.
    Shadowrun Returns is coming out soon.
    I am definitely looking forward to reviews of Shadowrun Returns and hoping it will be good. I was tempted to get conquistadors but I few complaints I saw, especially those about repetition, put me off... perhaps in a sale?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/...-game?ref=card

Try demo, it's awesome and have some the best character animations EVER.

Network Hub
    Quote Originally Posted by GameCat View Post
    http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/...-game?ref=card

Try demo, it's awesome and have some the best character animations EVER.
    There isn't an ETA on that game by any chance?
    It's hard to keep taps on what is close to release or on what developments just started.

Quote Originally Posted by hideinlight View Post
    There isn't an ETA on that game by any chance?
    It's hard to keep taps on what is close to release or on what developments just started.
    It really irritates me when this isn't made very clear on a kickstarter - sure, it may be very difficult to predict, but it is an important factor.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    I didn't find any date of relase. :x That kickstarter is one year old and they had demo already at start so I assume that they're working on this game. I hope so.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    The thread title made me think of this article:

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2012...-are-they-now/

Think we could use an updated one in light of the recent project management of Double Fine and the secondary funding of Steam Early Access.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    I think declaring PST a success is very premature. Their creating their own combat system right now because Numenera was insufficient. They've shown none of the granularity or regularity that Obsidian has. But they didn't with Wasteland 2 either.

Quote Originally Posted by Dungeonmans View Post
    Hello! It's my project, and I appreciate you linking it here!...
    I really admire the effort you're going to, I'll give it a go and see if it is my cup of tea and then more than likely back it, best of luck!

Quote Originally Posted by Internet View Post
    I think declaring PST a success is very premature...
    Sorry, the thread is slightly different to the thread title, I asked: Which promising or recently successful crowdfunded/alphafunded/indie games are you excited about? - Maybe I will split them into released/promising

Quote Originally Posted by QuantaCat View Post
    I think youre being a bit unfair to Towns...
    You are probably right as I haven't tried it out in a fair while I'm just going off hearsay - I'll give it a go.

Quote Originally Posted by Dariune View Post
    There was a game I can't remember the name of which looks really interesting...
    Could it be Maia if it is not Unclaimed world? Unclaimed world looks awesome I forgot about it, I need to add it to the list.

I know exactly which game you mean with the town building, in fact I think there might be two with the same name, I'm struggling to remember what they are now as well
    Last edited by hexagonalbolts; 06-07-2013 at 02:48 PM.

Network Hub
    Quote Originally Posted by hexagonalbolts View Post
    I know exactly which game you mean with the town building, in fact I think there might be two with the same name, I'm struggling to remember what they are now as well
    Folk Tale or Banished?
    http://www.gamesfoundry.com/

http://www.shiningrocksoftware.com/

Oh, you can also add Prison Architect to that list.

Dungeonmans has the potential to be a cool roguelike, currently doing incredibly well in the funding process. Can anyone find the ETA? I couldn't spot it...
    Hello! It's my project, and I appreciate you linking it here! ETA is March 2014, though that may change based on what stretch goals are achieved.

Just so you know, you can download and play the game right now, the Summer Preview Build is pretty stable and while technically the game is pre-alpha, that build is polished and has a start-to-finish arc. It's lots of fun if you like crushing monsters, but it can also make you feel like this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F9tvKVJTl3I

Activated Node
    There was a game I can't remember the name of which looks really interesting.

It's about a crew landing on a planet and surviving / building up with emphasis on exploring and collecting data on the planets wildlife.

If I can recall it's name I will post it here. RPS did a couple of articles about it a couple of months ago and it looks phenominal.

Then there is also that minimalistic city building game (Village building) which looks awesome and I can't recall the name of that either.

In-fact it appears I need this thread more than most because I just rely on RPS to tell me when shit is released.

Network Hub
    Quote Originally Posted by Dariune View Post
    There was a game I can't remember the name of which looks really interesting.

It's about a crew landing on a planet and surviving / building up with emphasis on exploring and collecting data on the planets wildlife.

If I can recall it's name I will post it here. RPS did a couple of articles about it a couple of months ago and it looks phenominal.

Then there is also that minimalistic city building game (Village building) which looks awesome and I can't recall the name of that either.

In-fact it appears I need this thread more than most because I just rely on RPS to tell me when shit is released.
    Could it be conlan's claim (Now named "Unclaimed world")?
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=t0YqY29-FPs

I think youre being a bit unfair to Towns, I think its an awesome concept executed nicely.

also its pretty far along in development compared to most of that list.
    - Tom De Roeck.

verse publications & The Shopkeeper, an interactive short.

"Quantacat's name is still recognised even if he watches on with detached eyes like Peter Molyneux over a cube in 3D space, staring at it with tears in his eyes, softly whispering... Someday they'll get it."

also you forgot about Sir, You Are Being Hunted!
    - Tom De Roeck.

"Quantacat's name is still recognised even if he watches on with detached eyes like Peter Molyneux over a cube in 3D space, staring at it with tears in his eyes, softly whispering... Someday they'll get it."

I'll put in 'Sir...'!

By the way does anyone remember the names of the 2D Terraria-alike survival games? I remember seeing at least 2 of those...
    Last edited by hexagonalbolts; 06-07-2013 at 02:50 PM.

The recently greenlit Legends of Eisenwald which delivers a sort of low fantasy version of the old Disciples games has already released a pretty good beta and I'm excited about the game. They ran into money trouble which has put them far behind their promised release date but they seem to be back on track now.

starbound?
    - Tom De Roeck.