Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Yep, I think those are them! Does anyone remember the space games I mentioned in the top post? One has a playable alpha, is first person and has a lot of stuff to do with physics (temperatures, gases etc.) and the other one was a 2D management/strategy game for one battleship at a time.

I could have sworn there were a couple other promising looking terraria-alikes...?

starbound!!
    - Tom De Roeck.

verse publications

"Quantacat's name is still recognised even if he watches on with detached eyes like Peter Molyneux over a cube in 3D space, staring at it with tears in his eyes, softly whispering... Someday they'll get it."

"It's frankly embarrassing. The mods on here are woeful."

"I wrinkled my nose at QC being a mod."

"At least he has some personality."

Banned
    I wonder how many of those will actually be successes.

Actually, I wonder how many of those will actually get made.

Quote Originally Posted by QuantaCat View Post
    starbound!!
    Ha it's already on the list! I'm sure there was another one though...

Activated Node
    Quote Originally Posted by burningpet View Post
    Could it be conlan's claim (Now named "Unclaimed world")?
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=t0YqY29-FPs
    Ah yes! That is the one.

Quote Originally Posted by burningpet View Post
    Yes. Thankyou.

Is there anything you guys can't do?

Don't Starve...

perfect exemple of use of a beta release !

Quote Originally Posted by db1331 View Post
    I give unto you the maddest of props. You're a god damned super hero.
    *Mostly* harmless

Quote Originally Posted by Mohorovicic View Post

yeah, I think thats a very valid stance on these things.

still, some of these games are extremely awesome, even in an unfinished state.

so for me, the alphas or betas of these games were worth it. good example being Sir!, Towns and another one I cant remember. oh and planetary annihilation seems to be fine too, though I havent played that yet.

note: Im not namedropping towns all the time just because its main designer is posting here. I just think it is one of the most successful of the indiefunded ones.

oh and FTL is also a good example of crowdfunding working out.

I guess the "lesson" to be learnt here is that crowdfunding, like any form of publishing, is risky. you essentially bet on the market. every. time. and crowdfunding just makes you have thousands of minipublishers that demand the same shit as big ones.

note2: I didnt go for crowdfunding for my game because it is essentially marketing for 30 days. it is fucking exhausting and I think it should be a last resort, not the holy grail.

owing your customers something is the worst position to be in. atleast the publishers know it can go terribly sideways. try arguing with an angry user that didnt get his product.
    Last edited by QuantaCat; 08-07-2013 at 09:20 AM.
    - Tom De Roeck.

verse publications

"Quantacat's name is still recognised even if he watches on with detached eyes like Peter Molyneux over a cube in 3D space, staring at it with tears in his eyes, softly whispering... Someday they'll get it."

Some additions that I have backed:

In development:
    • Jagged Alliance: Flashback: A new Jagged Alliance game (reboot? ;) that is turn based and will be telling about the time before A.I.M. was found, in a cold war CIA vs KGB setting.
    • Age of Decadence: Historical RPG (very) loosely based on the Roman Empire, full of depth and detail, with a system in which everyone is neither good nor bad. And it's promising to be a not very forgiving game.

Released:

• Expeditions: Conquistador: Great "exploration" game with turn-based battles (on hexes), set in the age of the conquistadors that set foot in Mid-America.
    Mijn Uitlaatklep - My (Dutch) blog about games, music and more

Quote Originally Posted by Mohorovicic View Post

Quote Originally Posted by QuantaCat View Post
    yeah, I think thats a very valid stance on these things.

Do you think that the majority will not be successful? Quite a few people seem to be very dubious about many of the games on kickstarter being released, there have been one or two kickstarters that have been released that sound as though they have been crummy flops, but most of these projects look very exciting to me.

I have tried to stop backing things though in general, unless they contain ideas that I am really passionate about, because I realised that I'm not getting anything back for over a year in many of the cases - and who knows what I will be doing in a years time, maybe I won't be gaming, maybe I'll be desperate for money and could have needed the money for those 10 projects I backed.
    Last edited by hexagonalbolts; 08-07-2013 at 04:06 PM.
    I have a blog on living in Peru

Im not saying they wont get made, but I think some scepticism is necessary to decide whether or not to support a project.
    - Tom De Roeck.

verse publications

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    I really like the updates with most games, I suspect that for one or two of the games I'll like the updates better than the finished product. So, even though a view it as a risky purchase, I can still get a bad game and be pleased with the result. Conversely, I'm fairly irked at Wasteland 2 for not sending many backer updates even though the game looks like it might turn out alright.