Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

Anyone Up For D&D?

I was wondering if anyone would like to start an online D&D session? Now, I am not meaning D&D Online, but the pen and paper version probably using something like Roll20.net.

I was thinking perhaps since we all have IRL commitments we could do a couple sessions a month of a few hours each (I'm not really looking for a full-day affair, myself).

We would also need someone to volunteer as DM/GM if anyone was interested in that aspect?

----------------------------

I noticed on the Mumble server there is the Extreme Geek Zone which has a room for D&D so I'm not sure if this is something that was/is already set up and so no point in me doing it as well, but then again if there was interest in it, who cares!

(Note to Mods: I apologize if I put this in the wrong place. I was going to put it in Game Clubs and General Sociability but figured that was under PC Gaming so perhaps I should place it here instead.)

-----------------------------
    NEW PLAYER INFORMATION HERE:

You'll need to make an account on Roll20.net (you'll need to get in contact with our GM Xercies to be invited to the game)

We use the RPS Mumble server which you can find the setup info here..

You'll want to look this over to get a basic idea for the game, and to choose a class. Right now the ones available are: Cleric, Paladin, Ranger, and Wizard.

If you have any questions feel free to either post in here, or contact me on Steam in the link below and we can get you set up! :)
    Last edited by TWChristine; 17-03-2014 at 08:16 PM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Grizzly's Avatar
    I didn't actually know roll20.net existed. Colour me casually interested . That being said, getting consistent planning going is going to be tough.

I'm down. I definitely don't have time to GM, but I may be able to coerce a friend to play too.

Quote Originally Posted by Grizzly View Post
    I didn't actually know roll20.net existed. Colour me casually interested . That being said, getting consistent planning going is going to be tough.
    I agree, and that's kind of why I was thinking to keep the sessions somewhat short, and even once a month is good too. I currently have a group I do pen and paper games with every week for about 8hrs at a time. I've been finding it a bit tough to spend that much time and am cutting it down to just every other week. So yea, casual is definitely what I'm going for!
    Last edited by TWChristine; 27-01-2014 at 04:30 AM.

I suppose you would prefer players from a not-too-distant time zone?
    - If the sound of Samuel Barber's "Adagio For Strings" makes you think of Kharak burning instead of the Vietnamese jungle, most of your youth happened during the 90s. -

Nope any is fine with me..since this is a euro based site I figure most people would be on that schedule. And it works out fine with me because I actually work over night. Although I guess really we might should not go further West. I'm in the Atlantic zone so 4 or 5 hours behind you guys.
    Last edited by TWChristine; 27-01-2014 at 08:06 AM.

Well, colour me interested then. It's been awhile since I rolled a rogue. :)
    - If the sound of Samuel Barber's "Adagio For Strings" makes you think of Kharak burning instead of the Vietnamese jungle, most of your youth happened during the 90s. -

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Xercies's Avatar
    I'm interested though I think if you want quick casual games D&D might not be the game, I've heard Dungeon World is very good at that and very easy to GM or if we don't want to spend any money Pathfinder has all its rules online. As for GM well I'm interested in doing that side but I've never really Gmed before so I would feel I'm not really qualified to do it.

Pathfinder is certainly an option as well! I'm interested that they have the rules online! I'll take a look into Dungeon World as well and see how it looks. As for GMing, if you want to give it a try you're more than welcome! I would offer myself, but I tried once with Dark Heresy and I was wanting to roll to see if a meteor landed on the party--the end. Granted I think part of the issue there was that I was playing with a group where half the people didn't even know what a pen/paper game was..

Secondary Hivemind Nexus gundato's Avatar
    Yeah, I would suggest a "simpler" system. From what I have read of the Dresden Files RPG, FATE might be a good choice since it has quick character rolling and seems more oriented toward quick campaigns (from my limited read that was mostly about the fun stuff from Butcher, it seems like characters are largely "the same" from level 1 to level infinity, and the big difference is how strong you are and how long you can last before resting).

Hell, the Warhammer Fantasy (or 40k Inquisitor) RPGs might also be interesting, since those are pretty much all about the quick adventure and have rules designed to roll a character in just a few minutes (literally rolling, by the way, with tables to pick race and class and stats and the like)... mostly because your characters might die within two turns of the first fight. It IS Warhammer :p

Also: I would suggest against Pathfinder. I love the system and occasionally play a game on the rare occasions we reach critical mass of in-person gaming, but it requires a lot of knowledge and thought to really appreciate. If you do want a more traditional D&D-style ruleset, 4e (probably 4.5e if it is out by now) is the way to go as Wizards of the Coast made it a point to try to ape MMOs and the like to increase accessibility. And your level 1 character is actually FUN and has lots of abilities (which is why I kind of dislike the mid/late game in 4e, but that is a different discussion :p), as opposed to 3e/3.5e/pathfinder where your characters aren't really "fun" until at least 10 or so (not enough skill points for the fun non-combat stuff, not enough combat potential for the fun combat stuff). Only consider Pathfinder if you have a crew that mostly loved 3e/3.5e and want more of the same. Having played Neverwinter Nights helps, but it already simplifies a lot and would probably be closer to a 4e approach.

That being said: I wish you guys luck, but I doubt this will work out too well (which is why I suggest planning around single sessions). Organizing an in-person game is hard enough when you are "grown-up", but a skype-based one and the like is largely doomed to fail as people will have other things they need to take care of and the like. If you are already in someone's dining room with cheeto and pizza covered hands it is harder to wander off than if you are at home in your underpants. And unlike normal (video) gaming groups, even losing one person can really derail and delay the game.
    I speak this from experience, by the way, since most of my old gaming group have moved away and we occasionally manage to get a quick game going but none that I would consider 'true" D&D.

Basically, what you want is a way that just about everyone can have a character within the first half hour so that the rest of the session can be devoted to a session-long campaign. Do that a few times (you can even use the same characters if you want, but that makes it harder to adjust for someone being MIA) and if you consistently have a group going, consider a "real" campaign.
    Last edited by gundato; 27-01-2014 at 03:06 PM.
    Steam: Gundato
    PSN: Gundato
    If you want me on either service, I suggest PMing me here first to let me know who you are.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Screwie's Avatar
    I would agree D&D is a roleplaying game focussed on simulation and strategy, which makes it more complicated than it needs to be unless that's exactly the sort of game you're looking for. In which case, Pathfinder is the perfect free alternative.

For something with a more straightforward narrative focus, Dungeon World and FATE are both very cool and very different games and worth a look.

The makers of Dungeon World made available for free online here.

Fate Core (and the starter edition Fate Accelerated) are both available here in pay-what-you-like form.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus gundato's Avatar
    Well, my point is more that you want a focus on getting in-game fast. Allocating a crapton of skills and picking feats is time consuming and confusing for a lot of first-timers. And nobody wants to have to give The Talk about why anyone who tries to grapple anybody will be stabbed :p
    Steam: Gundato
    PSN: Gundato
    If you want me on either service, I suggest PMing me here first to let me know who you are.

First of all need a definite list of people committed to at least the first session. Then we need a day and time that we can safely devote at least 2-3 hours in. I already feel like those two are to much for casual forum members.

Colour me interested. I played DnD / Pathfinder only a handful of times but enjoyed it quite a bit, plus Im semi-familiar with it via PC games based on it. i'd also be down for Vampire Masquarade or Cyberpunk.

I'm in Los Angeles timezone (PST) but my schedule's pretty flexible so can usually adjust.
    Postmortem: one must die- Political narrative-adventure game playing an Agent of Death who must take ONE life that could change the fate of a conflict-torn Nation!

Check out my DevBlog for news on the next title!

Ok people are interested:

TWChristine
    Grizzly
    cardinaldirection
    c-Row
    Koobazaur

Since no one has put their hat in the ring I will place myself as the GM bit nervous but you don't get anywhere without taking risks. Ok well if that's the case I'm definitely free on Sundays. I think I want to go with Dungeon World since it is free and seems quicker that would mean probably having to do some of the character work before the game starts so we can quickly get in. I will have to read up the rules as well so I can get a feel of what we can do but FATE also looks a bit quicker so I might have a look at that as well.

Also need to set up how we will do it...Mumble seems like the best option and again its free.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Screwie's Avatar
    The Dungeon World book's GM-ing section is excellent - it is nice enough to give you advice on playing the first session too.

Anwyay I hope you have a good time, good luck! :)

Sundays could work for me, depending on the time. I work nights, and I already have every other Sunday dedicated to an irl D&D group. Is there any kind of calendar-ish program where everyone could update their availability all in one spot and in advance? Then we could just glance at that and see when would be best.

It might be a good idea for everyone to read up the rules as well so we can all know basically what's going on. I'm also not opposed to the idea of making the characters ahead of time and trusting that everyone just isn't giving themselves good rolls!

I agree about Mumble as well, and I'm on there quite often if any of you ever pop on.

Quote Originally Posted by Xercies View Post
    Since no one has put their hat in the ring I will place myself as the GM bit nervous but you don't get anywhere without taking risks. Ok well if that's the case I'm definitely free on Sundays. I think I want to go with Dungeon World since it is free and seems quicker that would mean probably having to do some of the character work before the game starts so we can quickly get in. I will have to read up the rules as well so I can get a feel of what we can do but FATE also looks a bit quicker so I might have a look at that as well.
    Let us know which one you pick (DW or FATE), so I can go read up on the rules.
    Mumble works well for me too. I have a private server we can use if need be.

I am definitely a lot more excited about Dungeon World but it is more of a rule set that definitely requires more then one session and several campaigns to get the most out of it.

I'm not familiar with the other systems but don't mind them, as long as the company's good an adventure interesting it doesn't matther.
    Postmortem: one must die- Political narrative-adventure game playing an Agent of Death who must take ONE life that could change the fate of a conflict-torn Nation!

Check out my DevBlog for news on the next title!