Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus squirrel's Avatar

Any One Plans to Travel to Russia in Midst of Low Ruble Exchange Rate?

You should have learnt this, because this is no longer just a piece of finance news, this simply makes headlines of many local papers you cannot ignore.

I heard Russian girls are hot. Few thousands RMB can buy me life of king for at least a week there. I am coming, babes!!

They don't take too kindly to royalty around these parts, you know.
    Old hat! A Steam curator page focusing on Immersive Sims WIP
    Antique! The Fall of Infinite Games 2014 - A handy release schedule for the dark season.
    Recently updated! Thrust Issues: A Marvelous Guide to Fencing in Dark Souls 2

to wound the autumnal city.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus rockman29's Avatar
    Somehow that reads like "I want to go to Russia to get mugged while trying to pay Russian girls for sex."

And I have a feeling it will turn out pretty bad, being the one Asian guy I think it'd be pretty easy for everyone to spot the "tourist" flashing some renminbi.

Also you need to invent a simpler name for your currency. It's impossible to spell in English.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus coldvvvave's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by squirrel View Post
    Few thousands RMB can buy me life of king for at least a week there.
    Not in any million+ city. Have fun in Omsk. Don't do krokodil.
    Quote Originally Posted by Drake Sigar View Post
    You are an enemy of gaming.

Network Hub
    Speaking of which, anyone know of an English-language source for Russian news and analysis that isn't either a Kremlin mouthpiece or part of the western infowar apparatus?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Lukasz's Avatar
    Ty
    Quote Originally Posted by rockman29 View Post
    Somehow that reads like "I want to go to Russia to get mugged while trying to pay Russian girls for sex."

And I have a feeling it will turn out pretty bad, being the one Asian guy I think it'd be pretty easy for everyone to spot the "tourist" flashing some renminbi.

Also you need to invent a simpler name for your currency. It's impossible to spell in English.
    Russia has hundreds of thousands Asians. Like Chinese Mongolians and Koreans.

Travelling to Russia in December would not be fun. Dark cold and wet. Wait for at least April.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Xercies's Avatar
    I will pay for half if its buy one get one free on the prostitutes!

Quote Originally Posted by Lukasz View Post
    Ty

Russia has hundreds of thousands Asians. Like Chinese Mongolians and Koreans.

Travelling to Russia in December would not be fun. Dark cold and wet. Wait for at least April.
    Well pffft.... in that case, my excuse is they never show them on TV :P

Secondary Hivemind Nexus coldvvvave's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Lethe View Post
    Speaking of which, anyone know of an English-language source for Russian news and analysis that isn't either a Kremlin mouthpiece or part of the western infowar apparatus?
    I don't know of such source. On the other hand, filtering out propaganda charged content is the skill everyone has to learn or better yet grow up with. I'd be more worried if I suddenly found a source like you are seeking, because that kind of source would just be suspicious.
    Quote Originally Posted by Drake Sigar View Post
    You are an enemy of gaming.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus squirrel's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by rockman29 View Post
    "I want to go to Russia to get mugged while trying to pay Russian girls for sex."
    I fear no bad guys. I go there hunting polar bears with bare hands.

Okay seriously, I really worry that this economic crisis would lead to something much more catastrophic.

Quote Originally Posted by Lethe View Post
    You mean RT?
    In my experience, it's the best (read: free, independent, intelligent, critical) news channel I've ever found, for whatever region and thing they cover.
    http://rt.com/

Oh, also, on topic:
    http://rt.com/uk/215559-russia-london-homes-travel/

Quote Originally Posted by squirrel View Post
    I fear no bad guys. I go there hunting polar bears with bare hands.
    OK but it's only acceptable if you ride a horse with no shirt on.

The horse can't wear a shirt and neither can you.

Quote Originally Posted by MelodyMeows View Post
    You mean RT?
    In my experience, it's the best (read: free, independent, intelligent, critical) news channel I've ever found, for whatever region and thing they cover.
    http://rt.com/
    RT as in Russia Today? The Russian State funded network? The one roundly and repeatedly criticised for being a mouth-piece of the Kremlin? Free? Independent? You're joking, yes?

RT was originally created as a tool of the Russian State to improve its image abroad, through propaganda. Since then it's become an extension of Putin's foreign policy.
    Last edited by Unaco; 18-12-2014 at 06:24 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hypernetic View Post
    I just have an opinion different to your own. Circle jerking is good for no one, be glad somebody isn't afraid to disagree with women on the internet.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hypernetic View Post
    No, you are literally the cancer that is killing gaming.
    Quote Originally Posted by Serenegoose View Post
    Nobody's ever lost sleep over being called a cracker.

Quote Originally Posted by Unaco View Post
    RT as in Russia Today? The Russian State funded network? The one roundly and repeatedly criticised for being a mouth-piece of the Kremlin? Free? Independent? You're joking, yes?

RT was originally created as a tool of the Russian State to improve its image abroad, through propaganda. Since then it's become an extension of Putin's foreign policy.
    Source? I'm interested.
    I did say in my experience (also, most other channels I trust end up recommending or being close to RT, like Assange and Rap News) but they are pretty harsh with both US and Russia, when I see them.

Source? I'm interested.
    I did say in my experience (also, most other channels I trust end up recommending or being close to RT, like Assange and Rap News) but they are pretty harsh with both US and Russia, when I see them.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RT_(TV_network)#Criticism

Maybe the closest thing would be Al Jazeera in the East, I don't know too much about Eastern media.

I know there are some Indian networks trying to mimic CNN which is just ***king embarrassing for me though.

BBC and CBC are probably the best sources (that I know of) for impartial news, at least IMO.

Those criticisms are fairly generic, and come from sources that I don't trust to begin with, considering the power relations. (except maybe for Garry Kasparov)

I mean, what I consider mouthpieces of the US/EU accusing a channel that covers a lot of stories that go against the US' interest to be a mouthpiece of Putin is not exactly a convincing argument. If John Kerry, or The Times, or Der Spiegel tells me that RT is bad, and Glenn Greenwald tells me I should listen to it, I'll trust Greenwald.

I can't say much about their coverage of Russia specifically, because I haven't compared with other news sources. I like their coverage of matters that concern the West, more than any other source I have found, and I guess I trusted them on Russian matters by extension.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Heliocentric's Avatar
    We are so spoilt in the UK with BBC News and Channel 4, all of the foreign based international news outlets I've been exposed to have been hilarious in their blatant biases.

We do have our own creeping Fox News in ITV and our newspapers which span various extremes with little falling in anything like a moderate impartial news (Guardian seems mostly alright if a little lazy on research).

It just seems that mostly, if anyone means to tell you about the world, they are trying to entertain you for the advert money or actively lie to you.
    I'm failing to writing a blog, specifically about playing games the wrong way
    http://playingitwrong.wordpress.com/

Those criticisms are fairly generic, and come from sources that I don't trust to begin with, considering the power relations. (except maybe for Garry Kasparov)

I mean, what I consider mouthpieces of the US/EU accusing a channel that covers a lot of stories that go against the US' interest to be a mouthpiece of Putin is not exactly a convincing argument. If John Kerry, or The Times, or Der Spiegel tells me that RT is bad, and Glenn Greenwald tells me I should listen to it, I'll trust Greenwald.

I can't say much about their coverage of Russia specifically, because I haven't compared with other news sources. I like their coverage of matters that concern the West, more than any other source I have found, and I guess I trusted them on Russian matters by extension.
    where does greenwald say that you should listen rt over times bbc and other news outlets? I managed to find only his criticism of approach western media have to certain topics like assange interview with Hezebollah leader. He did not claim RT is somehow better or more reliable. just that they can show and produce content which can go against expectation of western audience.

doesn't mean RT is more reliable than BBC or Spiegel. it definitely fills a certain niche and can be very useful especially with controversial topics.
    but trusting it because of that with something like news on Russia is a stretch.

quiet opposite. because they are often critical of west and touch subjects which are taboo to western media, they cannot be trusted with local news because they might have agenda. unless they go to extreme lengths to ensure their critical coverage of russia, putin and russia's interests is on par with their critical coverage on UK, Germany and USA, we have to assume they are the mouthpiece of Kremlin as they government sponsored.

Quote Originally Posted by Heliocentric View Post
    We are so spoilt in the UK with BBC News and Channel 4, all of the foreign based international news outlets I've been exposed to have been hilarious in their blatant biases.

We do have our own creeping Fox News in ITV and our newspapers which span various extremes with little falling in anything like a moderate impartial news (Guardian seems mostly alright if a little lazy on research).

It just seems that mostly, if anyone means to tell you about the world, they are trying to entertain you for the advert money or actively lie to you.
    I have issues with many of those outlets because they showed, in the wake of Wikileaks, that, while they can be fair when they have no vested interests, they can also actively hide or manipulate information, and apparently they have a lot of interests when it comes to the powerful. The Guardian published Wikileaks cables, but on several occasions cut them so as to manipulate the meaning of the original document, e.g. by shifting blame from people whom they have interests with to others.

http://wlcentral.org/node/1490
    These links show Wikileaks' original cables, as well as the way they have been redacted by the Guardian when published.
    https://cablegatesearch.wikileaks.or...ion=1291113360
    https://cablegatesearch.wikileaks.or...ion=1291255260
    https://cablegatesearch.wikileaks.or...ion=1296509820

Funny how the parts in pink (removed by the Guardian) are almost always the most interesting.