Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus squirrel's Avatar

Do Not Buy Those Special Editions Coming With Steel Box

Because those iron, not steel, cases will rust.

I recently tidied up my collections of PC games I cherish much. One of my collection is Jade Empire. You know, Jade Empire is by standard special edition for PC with steel cases. I am surprised to see that the stainless steel case rusts. What the...... Yet my Unreal Tournament 3 limited edition steel box remains stainless, as least for the time being.

Can you share on how you preserve those packages? How to prevent those iron boxes (not steel) from getting rusty? And in general, how you preserve your discs so that they wont get corrupted? I start to wonder how long those discs could last.

Hate to break it to you, but steel corrodes, man. It's just iron with a high carbon content. Even stainless steel oxidises albeit at a slower rate. Unless you have a vacuum chamber you're not going to preserve them forever. Most metal cases are aluminium, as aluminium oxide forms a protective layer and is not as corrosive as rust.

Network Hub
    Quote Originally Posted by squirrel View Post
    Because those iron, not steel, cases will rust.

I recently tidied up my collections of PC games I cherish much. One of my collection is Jade Empire. You know, Jade Empire is by standard special edition for PC with steel cases. I am surprised to see that the stainless steel case rusts. What the...... Yet my Unreal Tournament 3 limited edition steel box remains stainless, as least for the time being.

Can you share on how you preserve those packages? How to prevent those iron boxes (not steel) from getting rusty? And in general, how you preserve your discs so that they wont get corrupted? I start to wonder how long those discs could last.
    Technically, steel does rust. Even stainless steel can rust in the right environment.

To keep steel from rusting, its preferable to keep them in dry places.

http://www.howtoprevent.com/misc/how-to-prevent-rust/
    Last edited by fenghuang; 25-10-2014 at 08:26 AM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Heliocentric's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by fenghuang View Post
    Technically, steel does rust. Even stainless steel can rust in the right environment.

To keep steel from rusting, its preferable to keep them in dry places.
    Entropy consumes all.
    I'm failing to writing a blog, specifically about playing games the wrong way
    http://playingitwrong.wordpress.com/

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Actually, steel is iron with a low carbon content, then increased as required to exemplify certain properties.

Both steel and iron(Fe for both really, the distinction is the carbon content and other alloys) will corrode in multiple ways depending on the environment. Moist or dirt are prime methods of corroding either material faster. The best way to preserve them for the long run is to clean it, then oil or grease it liberally and then preserve it in some sealed container of sorts, it would be best if you could remove air from it as well.

A more practical solution is keeping it in a dry place away from moist and keeping it clean, possibly keeping any surface cover(paint, anodized covers etc) intact as good as possible.

Note that Corrosion Free Steel(CVS, translated from my local language, I think its called Stainless Steel) as it's called in the common tongue isn't ever really corrosion free, most metallic materials will attempt to return to its original state, aluminium, copper and lead all suffer from this as well, at best you can make a material corrosion resistant by alloying it.

EDIT: The alloy of one of the boxes might have been different from the other, this might have actually caused the corrosion to appear, the least noble material will 'rust' away quicker due to the potential difference between the materials(a current will flow) instigating several types of corrosion to appear in the material. If you want to stack them anyway put some sort of isolation in between(aluminium sheet, cloth, paper etc).
    Last edited by pepper; 25-10-2014 at 11:48 AM.
    PS2/NS2/Mumble: SirWigglyBottom
    Steam: The Almighty Snark

Bread?

Activated Node
    Quote Originally Posted by pepper View Post
    Actually, steel is iron with a low carbon content, then increased as required to exemplify certain properties.
    Just to further the chemical discussion. When you are referring to "iron," you are probably referring to "pig iron." Pure iron is, obviously, pure. However, pure iron is also physically weak and difficult to find as iron is a pretty reactive metal. Iron is typically found as magnetite (Fe3O4) or hematite (Fe2O3) when first mined. To purify the iron it is heated with limestone, which removes the oxygen content. The result is called Pig Iron and has ~5% carbon by mass.

Steel has ~1% carbon by mass, and is just as easily corroded as pig iron. The carbon is removed by blowing oxygen through molten steel, turning it into CO or CO2 gas. Other techniques are also used to control the carbon level and add additional alloy metals.

"Stainless Steel" is an alloy with ~11% chromium added. This inhibits, but does not completely prevent, corrosion. There may be surface finishes (such as the Teflon non-stick finishes common to most modern cooking pots) or additional alloys added as well to fine tune the properties.

Stainless steel tends to be on the expensive side. At least where I live (New York State) most "steel" items (such as fencing, bent metal, etc...) are actually "Zinc-Galvanized Steel". Similar to stainless steel, zinc is added to the surface of the iron to prevent rust. This is better at resisting corrosion than pig iron or un-galvanized steel, but not as good as stainless steel. True stainless steel is often reserved for objects in constant contact with water and acids, like silverware.
    Last edited by SuddenSight; 25-10-2014 at 07:17 PM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus rockman29's Avatar
    As far as I remember from Gr. 10 chemistry, the Zinc oxidizes first and donates the electrons to the iron component to prevent rust.

Pretty sure you can slap a block of Zinc on part of your car to do the same thing :P

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Malawi Frontier Guard's Avatar
    The boxes are made of tinplate.

For the greatest longevity, store your boxes in a vat of mineral oil. Do not drink the mineral oil.

As a bonus, you can put your PC in there too. I know you had cooling problems in the past.

The latter might cause problems.
    Guild Wars 2 - Failbaddon, Mars Baneblade, Vulkan Hellhammer
    Elite: Dangerous - EpicTheTrumble
    Steam - EPICTHEFAIL

Okay, hypothetically, if I drank the mineral oil what would happen? Because I er.. Have a friend, who had a cousin who might have just drank a vat of mineral oil mixed with Tequila.

The toxicology section of Wikipedia`s article says they`re not toxic, so you`re fine (er, your friend`s cousin is). Also, I was originally referring to cooling your PC by immersing it in mineral oil, but this is a far more interesting topic.
    Steam - EPICTHEFAIL

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    If you want to blow your mind, don't buy anything in aluminium, it burns at room temperature...
    It is a technical difference, but's there none the less.

*Glances at can of cola on desk*
    Steam - EPICTHEFAIL

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Stainless steel is relatively expensive - there's no way cases for games are made out of it ;0

As for preventing rust, don't store them where moisture can get to them - for boxes to rust indoors would suggest you have a very damp residence - storing them in a garage/loft/storage unit would explain the rust tho ;0

Network Hub
    Pure mineral oil is fine, It used to be a medicine in fact. A very effective treatment for constipation. Some would say too effective.

Obscure Node
    I bloody love this forum.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus mickygor's Avatar
    I was gonna reply with "store it in a vacuum container" when this was first posted, but I thought it would be far too ridiculous to post as a solution. Gladly proven wrong!
    Itsbastiat, Dawngate
    Bastiat, Planetside 2, Miller NC
    Therin Katta, FFXIV, Cerberus

Quote Originally Posted by Inverselaw View Post
    Pure mineral oil is fine, It used to be a medicine in fact. A very effective treatment for constipation. Some would say too effective.
    I can confirm this.. brb

Obscure Node
    I agree it should be destroyed

Secondary Hivemind Nexus rockman29's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Inverselaw View Post
    It makes your bowels angry and irritable and move around a lot :P

Quite a few of the popular laxatives work like that :D

Also how heavy would a game box be if it were made of iron ore... hmm....