Page 1 of 111 1231151101 ... LastLast

Hybrid View

What book are you reading?

THE FORUM NEEDS BOOKS.

As with my last post in the thread on ye-olde-o-forum, I am reading Soul Music by Terry Pratchett.

Obscure Node
    Just read The Psychopath Test by Jon Ronson last week. Not sure what to read next.

The Greg Mandel trilogy by Peter F. Hamilton (currently on book 2/3). On account of having read everything else of his.

Also the free sample of the Witcher book (english translation) wasn't half bad, so I'm considering that for afterwards.

Close to finishing The Broken Sword and have been really enjoying it.

Just finished re-reading the A Song of Ice and Fire books. Need to find something else to read later.
    Last edited by Mana_Garmr; 03-06-2011 at 10:38 AM. Reason: Italics tag didn't work

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Kelron's Avatar
    Dune Messiah.

Just finished Don Quixote which was an interesting read, took me a long time to get through it. It made me wish I was fluent enough to read it in Spanish, the translation was good but a lot of the wordplay simply doesn't work in English.

Quote Originally Posted by Kelron View Post
    Dune Messiah.

Just finished Don Quixote which was an interesting read, took me a long time to get through it. It made me wish I was fluent enough to read it in Spanish, the translation was good but a lot of the wordplay simply doesn't work in English.
    Dude. If you've read Don Quixote, you've got to read Monsignor Quixote by Graham Greene. It's a well-known and well-written parody/pastiche/whatever.

'Twirlymen' by Amol Rajan, an account of the history of spin bowling. Quite absorbing.

Also, Roger Zelazny's 'Chronicles Of Amber', a supposed fantasy classic I've never got round to trying. So far it veers between inspired and somewhat leaden, but there's more than enough to keep me reading.
    Last edited by moth bones; 03-06-2011 at 10:50 AM. Reason: italics don't seem to work

Obscure Node
    Last thing I read was I Shall Wear Midnight by Terry Pratchett. That man can't write fast enough. Does anyone have any suggestions for a Pratchett-lover that's read all the Pratchett books? I need to broaden my horizons methinks.

I'm on the Xeelee Sequence omnibus by Stephen Baxter, just started the last one in the omnibus, Ring. Excellent read so far, even though the first book in this set, Raft, starts off as one of those tiresome 'adventure tourism' books but does improve dramatically after.

Also just got the third Achewood collection. I love Achewood.

@ Ace Jon: Are the Tiffany Aching ones good for all ages, then? I've not got to them in the order of Discworld books anyway but I was a bit unsure because of them being branded as targeted at "Young Adult".

Patriot Games by Tom Clancy. I've played so many of Tom Clancy games and I realized that I've never read a single Tom Clancy book.. So I started reading the entire Jack Ryan series.

Obscure Node
    Patriot Games is the best in the series. And the first chapter is the best first chapter I have read in terms of gripping you and forcing you to read the rest of the book.

I'm reading Flat Earth News by Nick Davies, a horrifying look at the sordid state of journalism. Next up is Treasure Islands: Tax Havens and the Men who Stole the World by Nicholas Shaxson, a horrifying look at the how the money-men are fucking the world. After that I may have to read some books for children in order to lighten my mood.

Quote Originally Posted by Ezhar View Post
    The Greg Mandel trilogy by Peter F. Hamilton (currently on book 2/3). On account of having read everything else of his.

Also the free sample of the Witcher book (english translation) wasn't half bad, so I'm considering that for afterwards.
    I never got any traction in the first book; it reads like it was written by another author. I greatly enjoyed all his other books, especially Pandora's Star & Judas Unchained. I'll try that Mandel book again.

Just finished The Uplift War by David Brin, for probably the 30th time or so. Some favorites I reread to tatters.

Dead Space: Martyr

It's a book that follows the scientist Altman. And prequels Deadspace 1.
    It has some really juicy descriptions of the horrifying necromorphs.
    Last edited by ssj_jessy; 16-11-2011 at 10:02 PM.

Network Hub
    Just had a thought. I don't get many!

Reading an ebook and a chapter mentions popular music playing in the background. Wouldn't it be a good idea if the music (real only?) mentioned in any ebook was played at a very low volume, almost out of earshot? Optional of course. I think the same method could be applied to other scene media? TV, Cinema, opera, traffic even(?) etc.

Maybe it's the Grants but I like this idea. I'm almost certain that someones gonna say "There's an app for that".

"Yeah, they call it film."
    Last edited by Heister; 17-11-2011 at 01:45 AM.

Silmarillion , its a timeless classic , cant go wrong with that :D

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Fumarole's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jokzore View Post
    Silmarillion , its a timeless classic , cant go wrong with that :D
    I've tried several time to get into this, but have faltered each time; and I love The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings.
    The Medallion of the Imperial Psychopath, a Napoleon: Total War AAR
    For the Emperor!, a Total War: Shogun 2: Fall of the Samurai AAR

The eye of the world! Wheel of time series! For the win!