Page 42 of 120 FirstFirst ... 3240414243445292 ... LastLast
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Vexing Vision's Avatar
    Grabbed Sanderson's "The Way of Kings". It's colorful, at least - a unique and mostly consistent world. A wee bit overdone. I really don't like his word-building style that much, but I thought Elantris was just a fluke.

He does write semi-interesting characters to start with, but he doesn't seem to be able to really do anything with them.
    NETWORKING 101 SIGNATURE INCOMING
    Playing games with each other makes for the best business contacts, so feel free to add me on LinkedIn.
    You should also follow me on Twitter.

Quote Originally Posted by Cryptoshrimp View Post
    Now starting the seventh(?) part of the Malazan Book of the Fallen, Dust of Dreams.
    Dust of Dreams is the 9th book. Reaper's Gale is the 7th. Don't worry if it starts off a little slow, it's actually more like the first part of a two parter, alongside The Crippled God (the 10th and last book of the Book of the Fallen). Also, it is setting up for the finale of a lot of the things that have been going on in the previous 8 books.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hypernetic View Post
    I just have an opinion different to your own. Circle jerking is good for no one, be glad somebody isn't afraid to disagree with women on the internet.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hypernetic View Post
    No, you are literally the cancer that is killing gaming.
    Quote Originally Posted by Serenegoose View Post
    Nobody's ever lost sleep over being called a cracker.

Lesser Hivemind Node westyfield's Avatar
    Heading off for a week's holiday in relative solitude tomorrow. Books I'm bringing are:

Predator's Gold - Philip Reeve. (Re-read, part-way through already).
    Fever Crumb - Philip Reeve.
    Kraken - China Mieville.
    Absolution Gap - Alastair Reynolds.
    Starfish - Peter Watts.

Also I watched The Hunger Games yesterday and I'm going to read the book at some point.

Lesser Hivemind Node Winged Nazgul's Avatar
    Finished Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter.

I didn't like the book as much as I thought I would. The author went for a dry, historical journal feel to try and impart a sense of realism to the fantastical premise. I would've just given that up for a lost cause and gone all in to over the top fiction in my opinion.

Next up: Shadow's Son by Jon Sprunk - Book 1 of the Shadow Saga series.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Althea's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Winged Nazgul View Post
    Next up: Shadow's Son by Jon Sprunk - Book 1 of the Shadow Saga series.
    Excellent trilogy.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Lambchops's Avatar
    I'm reading "This Is Your Brain on Music" by Daniel Levitin, which I'm sure I'm going to love once I get into it, combining as it does science geekery and music, which are two things I love.

I'm only getting into it slowly however as the opening chapter on music theory is a little dry (but not something I can skip as I've only a rudimentary and vaguely recollected knowledge of it! I have a feeling though that the introductory bit about neuroscience will be better at holding my attention) and I keep getting distracted by listening to the music that gets mentioned!

Secondary Hivemind Nexus ColOfNature's Avatar
    Occasionally thumbing through The Flavour Thesaurus by Niki Segnit. If you like to cook it's a doozy. No actual recipes as such, but inspiration by the barrelful.

Ender's Game! It is great. I've read it before, but it's always a pleasure to re-read.

Network Hub
    Can anyone recommend me a book? I'm looking for something along the line of "The Name of the Wind". A fantasy book that's not too dark/serious, but at the same time something I can get my teeth into.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Vexing Vision's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Vague-rant View Post
    Can anyone recommend me a book? I'm looking for something along the line of "The Name of the Wind". A fantasy book that's not too dark/serious, but at the same time something I can get my teeth into.
    The obvious choice would be The Wise Man's Fear, which is the second part of the Name Of The Wind. I find it supreme to its well-rounded predecessor.

Apart from that, I find Rothfuss' style rather unique and wouldn't rightly know what else to recommend.
    NETWORKING 101 SIGNATURE INCOMING
    Playing games with each other makes for the best business contacts, so feel free to add me on LinkedIn.
    You should also follow me on Twitter.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Jockie's Avatar
    I've been reading the Metrozone series by Simon Morden, it's a cyberpunk trilogy about a Russian genius immigrant living in post-apocalypse London and features Yakuza, Rogue AI's, gun-toting nuns and physics experiments (apparently the author is a qualified Rocket Scientist).

It's very action-packed, sometimes to the point where you lose track of motive and the actual story as the hero Petrovitch barrels from one set-piece to another, swearing his way through and surviving somewhat against the odds (he also has a pacemaker, due to a radiation damaged heart). The character and the books are a lot of fun, but it smacks of wish fulfillment. The character is simultaneously a nerd, a physics genius, a heartbreaker, a loner and an action hero, while the supporting cast can be one dimensional or caricatures.

Despite that, the books are eminently readable and entertaining, worth a look if you're a fan of the genre.
    I write about them video games at these locations

And on Twitter

Started re-reading Papillon for the millionth time. I absolutely adore this book, and it pretty much defined my literary youth alongside The Lord of the Rings and Althalus. Raw but oh-so-lovely book. As well as Banco, the sequel. I'm just afraid I need to get new copies of these books, both are shedding their covers off.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus ColOfNature's Avatar
    Some books I've destroyed through repeated reading: Lord of the Rings (three copies so far, including my Grandad's much prized 1963 first editions which I destroyed when I was about 7 by dragging them half way around the world). Ivanhoe. Dracula. Various Discworld novels. Good Omens. Watchmen. Absolute Sandman vol 4 (and to a lesser degree the rest). The Jerusalem Man Chronicles. Excession.

Network Hub
    A Dance With Dragons Book. 1 and I've just finished Island by Huxley.

Network Hub
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaira- View Post
    Started re-reading Papillon for the millionth time. I absolutely adore this book, and it pretty much defined my literary youth alongside The Lord of the Rings and Althalus. Raw but oh-so-lovely book. As well as Banco, the sequel. I'm just afraid I need to get new copies of these books, both are shedding their covers off.
    As in The Redemption of...or something much more high-brow? Because I love that book (even if it is a doggedly formulaic as every other book he has written).

I'm halfway the book one of a song of ice and fire.
    Now, there is an appendix at the end of the book that describes the different houses. Should I read it now, or after finishing the book? I don't want spoilerific spoilers of spoiling in my book.

Quote Originally Posted by Tikey View Post
    I'm halfway the book one of a song of ice and fire.
    Now, there is an appendix at the end of the book that describes the different houses. Should I read it now, or after finishing the book? I don't want spoilerific spoilers of spoiling in my book.
    I'm pretty sure it's there as a resource to keep you informed while reading. I also am pretty sure it doesn't have any spoilers.

Awesome. Thanks for the info.

Quote Originally Posted by EOT View Post
    As in The Redemption of...or something much more high-brow? Because I love that book (even if it is a doggedly formulaic as every other book he has written).
    Ah yes, The Redemption of Althalus. I thought it was called just Althalus like it's called here. One of my favourite fantasy books ever. And yes, it's formulaic but it also has some magical charm which draws me in and prevents me from putting the book down until I've read it through.

Lesser Hivemind Node Drinking with Skeletons's Avatar
    Quiet: The Power of Introverts in a World that Won't Stop Talking.

If you consider yourself an introvert, or have an interest in behavioral psychology, I highly recommend it.