Page 45 of 115 FirstFirst ... 3543444546475595 ... LastLast
Results 881 to 900 of 2299
  1. #881
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Althea's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    England
    Posts
    3,457
    Hey, it's my opinion.


  2. #882
    Lesser Hivemind Node westyfield's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Bath / Southampton, UK
    Posts
    712
    Quote Originally Posted by Theblazeuk View Post
    Ah you should really check out Johnny and the Dead, Johnny and the Bomb and my personal favourite: Only You Can Save Mankind (If not you, then who?)
    Ugh, Only You Can Save Mankind is the only Terry Pratchett book I've read. I was, shall we say, less than enthralled. Haven't read another of his since.

    Quote Originally Posted by Althea View Post
    Hey, it's my opinion.
    Yeah, but it's stupid and wrong.

  3. #883
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Althea's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    England
    Posts
    3,457
    Quote Originally Posted by westyfield View Post
    Yeah, but it's stupid and wrong.
    How is it stupid and wrong? Dirk Gently was Adams trying too hard to be funny and surreal, and H2G2 isn't as good as some think it is.


  4. #884
    Lesser Hivemind Node westyfield's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Bath / Southampton, UK
    Posts
    712
    Quote Originally Posted by Althea View Post
    How is it stupid and wrong? Dirk Gently was Adams trying too hard to be funny and surreal, and H2G2 isn't as good as some think it is.
    Hitchhikers' Guide is exactly as good as I think it is, and Dirk Gently is ok.

    (I was kinda joking with the whole 'stupid and wrong' thing though.)

  5. #885
    Network Hub corbain's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Englandshire
    Posts
    170
    Quote Originally Posted by westyfield View Post
    Heading off for a week's holiday in relative solitude tomorrow. Books I'm bringing are:

    Predator's Gold - Philip Reeve. (Re-read, part-way through already).
    Fever Crumb - Philip Reeve.
    Kraken - China Mieville.
    Absolution Gap - Alastair Reynolds.
    Starfish - Peter Watts.

    Also I watched The Hunger Games yesterday and I'm going to read the book at some point.
    I'm interested in your weeks reading holiday in Solitude! Where did you go? Did you get as much reading done as you intended?

    I loved the Reynolds Revelation Space series, although was a little dissapointed with the Deus Ex Machina ending

  6. #886
    Lesser Hivemind Node westyfield's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Bath / Southampton, UK
    Posts
    712
    Quote Originally Posted by corbain View Post
    I'm interested in your weeks reading holiday in Solitude! Where did you go? Did you get as much reading done as you intended?
    Solitude was perhaps a poor way for me to describe it - I wasn't alone, I was with my family (mum, dad, elder brother), but isolated in terms of having no internet connection or mobile phone signal (drove my techie brother and dad crazy, mum and I loved it though).
    We went to Cornwall for a week, spent a lot of time going for walks along cliffs, beaches et cetera. A lovely week, despite the rain (or perhaps because of - it's deliciously bleak, and standing atop a cliff with the wind in one's hair, scarf and coat flapping is tremendous fun!)

    As far as reading went, I read much less than I'd expected/hoped to. I finished Predator's Gold (it's still pretty good, but not as good as Mortal Engines), read all of Kraken (hard going - took 3/4 of the book before I 'got' Mieville's writing style), and read about 2/3 of Starfish (pretty good, still haven't finished it though).
    Only another five weeks until exams are done, then I'll be free to read (and game) to my heart's content!

  7. #887
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Fumarole's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    California
    Posts
    2,629
    Quote Originally Posted by Jockie View Post
    Finished The Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss and was compelled to immediately purchase the sequel A Wise Man's Fear.
    Thanks to you notifying me that the second book is out I just bought it and four more books on Amazon. My wallet disapproves of your antics.
    The Medallion of the Imperial Psychopath, a Napoleon: Total War AAR
    For the Emperor!, a Total War: Shogun 2: Fall of the Samurai AAR

  8. #888
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Vexing Vision's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Düsseldorf
    Posts
    1,782
    It actually took me a second read-through to realize that Patrick Rothfuss is actually the genius everyone is celebrating him for. The first read of Name of the Wind left me feeling satisfied but not really impressed. A second read-through had me reading passages to my wife - and only then did I realize that by the gods, that man can write. The style is amazing when read aloud, and extremely poetic.
    NETWORKING 101 SIGNATURE INCOMING
    Playing games with each other makes for the best business contacts, so feel free to add me on LinkedIn.
    You should also follow me on Twitter.

  9. #889
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Jockie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    North-East England
    Posts
    1,080
    I was really enjoying A Wise Man's Fear, until the *Spoilers*Fae bit. The bit with the tree is fine and good and clearly a catalyst for a lot of important events. But the bit with Felurian was a snorefest, I'm not just talking about the not particularily graphic but constant love-making (I think Rothfuss might have a thing about breasts too, they are mentioned like 4 times per paragraph in this bit, I like breasts too, but it's kind of overkill).

    But the way suddenly all conversation starts to rhyme felt forced and made me cringe. also it's like he wants to present an erotic scene, but is afraid of anything approaching actual eroticism, with much talk along the lines of 'So i showered her body with kisses for five hours' instead. It really ruined the flow of the book for me.
    I write about them video games at these locations

    And on Twitter

  10. #890
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Althea's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    England
    Posts
    3,457
    And Jockie stumbled upon the reason why I won't touch Rothfuss' work. What I've heard from various sources about the stuff with Kvothe and women has put me off massively. I'm not interested in reading about some arrogant brat who shags his way through 900 page tomes.

    I'm currently reading this amongst other things:


  11. #891
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus mrpier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    1,315
    Yeah, the wise man's fear really felt much more unfocused than the first book. I don't think there would have been any problem removing about 100-200 pages or so and the book would have been better for it. That being said, it's still a good book with some brilliant bits throughout. My favourite probably some of Bast's more intense moments.

  12. #892
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Jockie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    North-East England
    Posts
    1,080
    Quote Originally Posted by Althea View Post
    And Jockie stumbled upon the reason why I won't touch Rothfuss' work. What I've heard from various sources about the stuff with Kvothe and women has put me off massively. I'm not interested in reading about some arrogant brat who shags his way through 900 page tomes.
    To be fair there's no shagging at all in the first 900 page tome and none for the first 450 pages of the 2nd. But then it starts making up for lost time with several chapters exclusively dedicated.
    I write about them video games at these locations

    And on Twitter

  13. #893
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Althea's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    England
    Posts
    3,457
    Quote Originally Posted by Jockie View Post
    To be fair there's no shagging at all in the first 900 page tome and none for the first 450 pages of the 2nd. But then it starts making up for lost time with several chapters exclusively dedicated.
    It's more the general attitude towards women in them. Granted, I'm largely going off the Pornokitsch review of the second book, but it's enough to put me off.

    That and I've plenty enough to read as it is.


  14. #894
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    1,600
    Quote Originally Posted by Althea View Post
    It's more the general attitude towards women in them. Granted, I'm largely going off the Pornokitsch review of the second book, but it's enough to put me off.

    That and I've plenty enough to read as it is.
    I... don't recall having any problems with how he portrays women, from a feminist perspective? I mean the main character isn't perfect at it and fucks up, but it's not portrayed as like 'damned women who even understands their crazy shit' and more like 'the protagonist is sixteen and doesn't know how this shit works but generally does his best'. Given the agency of all of the prominent women characters in the plot, their range of skills and personalities, and generally the quality of writing that goes into them, I really think you've been misled here.

  15. #895
    Lesser Hivemind Node Winged Nazgul's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    613
    Quote Originally Posted by Serenegoose View Post
    I... don't recall having any problems with how he portrays women, from a feminist perspective? I mean the main character isn't perfect at it and fucks up, but it's not portrayed as like 'damned women who even understands their crazy shit' and more like 'the protagonist is sixteen and doesn't know how this shit works but generally does his best'. Given the agency of all of the prominent women characters in the plot, their range of skills and personalities, and generally the quality of writing that goes into them, I really think you've been misled here.
    Yeah, definitely do not get a misogynist vibe with his books and I am especially sensitive about such matters.

  16. #896
    Lesser Hivemind Node Feldspar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    634
    Looks like I'll have to take a trip to the bookstore, I enjoyed Name of the Wind, and while I've grown bored of "young person grows up and becomes powerful" fantasy stories, breaking it up with what was happening in the inn kept my interest.

    I've just finished reading Traitor's Gate by Kate Elliot, the third in her 'Crossroads' series (not sure how long this series is going to be), not exceptional fantasy, but interesting enough, focusing on a culture clash between an egalitarian, psuedo-Chinese people, a Hun-like people and cultures that have an obvious Islamic flavour (almost insultingly so in some cases). The outstanding feature was the change in the perception of one of the main characters, he hadn't changed his behaviour, he was just being seen from clearer viewpoint, a brilliant set-up for the next book.

  17. #897
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Althea's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    England
    Posts
    3,457
    Quote Originally Posted by Winged Nazgul View Post
    Yeah, definitely do not get a misogynist vibe with his books and I am especially sensitive about such matters.
    It's not so much misogyny.

    I can't even read Heinlein or Haldeman 'cos the sex grates with me.


  18. #898
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Rii's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Aussieland
    Posts
    1,656
    Quote Originally Posted by Althea View Post
    It's not so much misogyny.

    I can't even read Heinlein or Haldeman 'cos the sex grates with me.
    Are there books where the sex doesn't grate on you? What's the difference?

  19. #899
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Althea's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    England
    Posts
    3,457
    Quote Originally Posted by Rii View Post
    Are there books where the sex doesn't grate on you? What's the difference?
    Are there? Yes, a small few. The difference can be anything from the execution to the view point, even just the style of writing.


  20. #900
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Rii's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Aussieland
    Posts
    1,656
    Still reading The Historian. In artistry Kostova is a long ways down from Roy, but the following passage drew a smile:

    "A week ago I'd been a normal American graduate student [...] enjoying deep down a sense of the prosperity and moral high ground of my culture even while I pretended to question it and everything else."

    Fresh off the boat:

    Moby Dick - Herman Melville
    Waiting for Sunrise - William Boyd
    Listening to Grasshoppers: Field Notes on Democracy - Arundhati Roy
    Last edited by Rii; 29-04-2012 at 06:52 PM.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •