Page 57 of 115 FirstFirst ... 747555657585967107 ... LastLast
Results 1,121 to 1,140 of 2293
    Very on and off, but the Sherlock Holmes short stories. They're perfectly amiable reads with some nice writing but they're not exactly the awe inspiring texts everyone heralds them as. I can understand their popularity though, very easy to read and the characters do grow on you over time. Plots are somewhat haphazard though, it is actually impossible to predict how the case was done simply because so much is kept from the reader.

Just got back from a week in (very sunny) Argyll and managed to finish off Blood Meridian (Cormac McCarthy) and The Troubled Man (Henning Mankell).

I struggled with Blood Meridian initially, but the pace of the plot started to pick up and I was hooked as the Glanton gang debased themsleves further and further. I was very confused by the ending and in particular the epilogue.

The final Wallander book was a real change of pace, i read it in a couple of afternoons. Like the best detecitve fiction it gripped me and didn't let go, although the fact I have spent so much time in Wallander's company over the years counts for something. Definitely not the Wallander book to start with.. Faceless Killers is best.

right now i am reading Star Wars, Dark Force rising by Timothy Zhan.

Been reading Thrift by Phil Church. Pretty funny book about an incompetent teacher in an English Comprehensive school, a guy who just doesn't seem to care about education anymore.
    I have a new book out. Fancy some cynical fantasy comedy? Check it out:
    http://amzn.to/1oVrKlx

Read my other stories: http://tessstenson.blogspot.co.uk/

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Xercies's Avatar
    Sounds like most teachers to be honest...

Probably. Sadly.
    I have a new book out. Fancy some cynical fantasy comedy? Check it out:
    http://amzn.to/1oVrKlx

Read my other stories: http://tessstenson.blogspot.co.uk/

Network Hub
    Not in my experience

currently rereading foucault's the order of things. getting some reading in for my masters thesis.

Network Hub
    Currently reading my way through the Magic: The Gathering Odyssey Cycle books again. Just finished Odyssey itself the other day and started on Chainer's Torment. I'm a fan of quite a few of the MTG books, even despite some of them having pretty bad writing.

I'm about half-way through Gödel, Escher, Bach: An Eternal Golden Braid by Douglas Hofstadter at the moment (and loving it), but starting to pine for some trashy space science fiction. I find myself craving something like The Gap Cycle by Stephen R. Donaldson, but there are no more, alas. I might re-read the Dune Trilogy next.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Recently I read Un Lun Dun by China Mieville (brilliant, wonderful book) and Neverwhere by Neil Gaiman. (You may discern a theme if you're familiar with these books - though they do not play out very similarly at all).

Un Lun Dun I can only describe as having the same effect on me as the first time I watched Spirited Away. I'd been somewhere else and I was absolutely exhausted. Brilliant characters, great plot, great dialogue, easy to read but not stupid for an instant.

Neverwhere was a lot of fun but didn't quite leave the same impression on me - I suspect that's something to do with the writing style. Deeba, the perspective character in un lun dun, is someone we're allowed to get a lot closer to than Richard, the protagonist of Neverwhere. Still, it had some utterly brilliant characters (Hunter, and Mr Croup and Mr Vandemar spring to mind...) and was pretty sad in places too.

Now I'm onto The Apocalypse Codex by Charles Stross, fourth in the Laundry Files series, which seems to be getting rather more serious. The first two books had very much an adventurous feel to them (for me) where even though the stakes were high it felt light. The Fuller Memorandum definitely had hints of the more grim direction the series was banking towards, but this book seems to have kicked it up a notch. This is not surprising, considering, as the title implies, the plot is moving headlong into the apocalypse.

I'm trying to read 'Out of Harm's Way', that autobiography someone wrote a while back and I'm finding it very hard not to throw it across the room; 'Johnny you're doing great!' yes, you've been telling yourself that for years.
    'Your sacrifice completes my sanctuary of a thousand testicles'
    My Steam profile

Just finished reading Slaughterhouse Five and Cat's Cradle. I preferred Cat's Cradle, I'm not a big fan of Slaughterhouse as the main character is so terribly unlikeable.

I might read more KV stuff, but I'm taking a break for a while and now reading American Gods by Neil Gaiman. About 20% through according to the Kindle, I'm enjoying it so far.

Obscure Node
    Well I was recently introduced to Neil Gaiman's Sandman. So I ended up buying Absolute Sandman Vol. 1, I've never read anything like this before, and I'm blown away. Spectacular, brilliant.

Network Hub
    Finished reading the MtG Odyssey Cycle books(Odyssey, Chainer's Torment, Judgement) last week and decided to stray away from the light reading stuff and go to something more intellectual and deep from my library.

So I picked up my copy of Dante's Divine Comedy and re-started Inferno. I got to the bit about Attila the Hun being covered to his head in a river of fire before I just couldn't take it anymore. The book puts me to sleep so quickly every time I try to read it. It could almost be considered a cure for insomnia. I may one day trudge forward through Inferno, because I know if I can get myself that far in that I can get to the end of it, but I don't think I'll ever bother with the rest of the Divine Comedy.

So the night after I put down Dante, I tried to pick up my copy of Marx's Das Kapital. That was a mistake. It's even worse. I got through about 5 pages before I decided to put it away again. And that was when I picked up my copy of Panzer Commander, which is the memoirs of Colonel Hans von Luck during his time with the 7th and 21st Panzer Divisions. And it's a good read so far. The man was present for the invasion of Poland, spearheaded the invasion of France under Erwin Rommel, took part in Operation Barbarossa, and then was transferred to the Afrikakorps at Rommel's personal request. And, if the table of contents is to be believed, he's going to end up in France and then back in Russia before the book is done so it's promising to be a good read throughout. I mean, how much better can you get than a book detailing the exploits of a highly decorated soldier who not only served with one of the most well-regarded military commanders in modern history, but also saw combat on almost every front(and in many of the major battles) of the most important war in the last 200 years?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus squirrel's Avatar
    The Joy Luck Club by Ms. Amy Tan

I am reading chapter one of this novel, which is about 4 Chinese women immigrant in the USA, to be exact, 3 from China, and 1 ethnic Chinese from Vietnam. This is an old novel in late 80s and a movie adaptation was released in early 90s. The 4 women formed a club for playing mah jong (a Chinese gambling game, as to bridge cards you play; but I believe mostly Southern Chinese play it, people here dont often play mah jong). Each woman had her own sad story from their homeland. I recently bought this a second hand book, but as a bestseller I think there must be no shortage for new copies. If you think the Joy Luck Club is a great movie, you shouldn't miss this novel.

Obscure Node
    Drakon by S. M. Stirling

Trawled for books that looked interesting in the tvtropes literature section, then off to goodreads to check whether it was worth reading...

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Fumarole's Avatar
    The Medallion of the Imperial Psychopath, a Napoleon: Total War AAR
    For the Emperor!, a Total War: Shogun 2: Fall of the Samurai AAR

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Lambchops's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by corbain View Post
    Just got back from a week in (very sunny) Argyll
    Argyll? Sunny? Are you sure you weren't somewhere else and imagined you were in Argyll?

Lovely part of the world (didn't appreciate it as much as I perhaps should have growing up there but love going back there now), but one that is usually constantly rained upon!

------

As for books I'm still making my way through Game of Thrones, on the fifth one now and not finding it quite as compulsive reading as the earlier books I have to admit. It's good and I want to see where it's going, but it just lacks a certain something compared to earlier efforts so far.

After that I've got some new(ish) Tom Holt and Robert Rankin to keep me amused.

Silmarillion , its a timeless classic , cant go wrong with that :D