Threaded View

Secondary Hivemind Nexus ColOfNature's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Serenegoose View Post
    Recently I read Un Lun Dun by China Mieville (brilliant, wonderful book) and Neverwhere by Neil Gaiman. (You may discern a theme if you're familiar with these books - though they do not play out very similarly at all).

Un Lun Dun I can only describe as having the same effect on me as the first time I watched Spirited Away. I'd been somewhere else and I was absolutely exhausted. Brilliant characters, great plot, great dialogue, easy to read but not stupid for an instant.

Neverwhere was a lot of fun but didn't quite leave the same impression on me - I suspect that's something to do with the writing style. Deeba, the perspective character in un lun dun, is someone we're allowed to get a lot closer to than Richard, the protagonist of Neverwhere. Still, it had some utterly brilliant characters (Hunter, and Mr Croup and Mr Vandemar spring to mind...) and was pretty sad in places too.

Now I'm onto The Apocalypse Codex by Charles Stross, fourth in the Laundry Files series, which seems to be getting rather more serious. The first two books had very much an adventurous feel to them (for me) where even though the stakes were high it felt light. The Fuller Memorandum definitely had hints of the more grim direction the series was banking towards, but this book seems to have kicked it up a notch. This is not surprising, considering, as the title implies, the plot is moving headlong into the apocalypse.
    My brain seems to be leaking: these were almost exactly my thoughts (except that I thought Hunter was pretty unintersting).

Just finished The Quantum Thief. It would have benefited from some more development of some of the concepts (particularly the Dilemma Prison and the ramifications of breaking the gevulot (the whole panopticon thing was expertly dealt with in Charlie Stross's Glasshouse)) but it's a brilliant first novel and I have high hopes for the sequels.
    Last edited by ColOfNature; 22-08-2012 at 01:40 AM.