Page 62 of 118 FirstFirst ... 1252606162636472112 ... LastLast
Results 1,221 to 1,240 of 2354
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Similar's Avatar
    I finished Jack Campbell's Tarnished Knight, book one of the new Lost Stars series which is going to cover events and people from his Lost Fleet series. Tarnished Knight is about Iceni and Drakon and events in the Midway system that took place while Jack Geary was off to other places.

The book felt a bit short. I'm not sure if it actually is, but it's sort of building up to something and then ends fairly abruptly before the something happens. If you've read Lost Fleet and Lost Fleet: Beyond the Frontier in particular, you know what happens after the book ends, so I suppose it makes sense for it to end where it does, but ... it still feels a little too sudden.
    I hope the story will be continued in a later book.

I would also say that having read at least the two books in the Lost Fleet: Beyond the Frontier series, and preferably the six books in Lost Fleet too, is practically a requirement for reading Tarnished Knight. If you haven't, I think there'll be a number things that will seem poorly explained.
    Last edited by Similar; 20-10-2012 at 10:30 AM.

Currently reading Clash of Kings. from the Song of Ice and Fire series. almost finished with it and will move on the third book in the series immediately.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus squirrel's Avatar
    War Dog: Fighting Other People's War by Al J. Venter.

Mr. Venter introduced himself in the book as a warzone journalist for the Jane's Information Group. (I dont know, I thought most warzone journalists are freelancers with not specific employer.) As the title suggested, this book covers the stories of mercenaries, the profession according to Mr. Venter as "the second oldest in civilization".

Quite an old book, I think the printed version has been out of print but there is an electronic version from some major online bookstore.

The Fionavar Tapestry by Guy Gavriel Kay.

I'm really enjoying this one. Epic fantasy trilogy, modern world characters (from my home town!) transported to another world, war, intrigue, multiple character POVs, integration of European/Celtic mythology, etc. It's a lot of fun, and manages to avoid being cliched. Ysabel, another book by the same author is also very good.
    I take photos of space and talk about it sometimes: http://ofspaceandthings.tumblr.com Also, I am making a game for which there is a development log: http://elegythegame.tumblr.com/

Finished Snow Crash some days ago, which was completely unlike anything I expected, but quite good. Reminded me of the good parts of Tad Williams' Otherland (unfortunately that series is mostly bad parts).
    Started reading The Darkness That Comes Before due to heavy recommendations from Guild Wars 2 RPS people. It's very reminiscent of ASoIaF in a good way, although I don't have clue where all of this is going. I like none of the Empire characters, still hoping the barbarian kills them all, but it's probably not going to happen.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Fumarole's Avatar
    Just started God Is Not Great after finishing book four of a poem of frost and flame. Quite the gear shift I must say.
    The Medallion of the Imperial Psychopath, a Napoleon: Total War AAR
    For the Emperor!, a Total War: Shogun 2: Fall of the Samurai AAR

Quote Originally Posted by Fumarole View Post
    ...after finishing book four of a poem of frost and flame
    Is that a euphemism for A Song of Ice and Fire?

Have been reading the first omnibus collection of Jeeves and Wooster by P.G.Wodehouse

I think the books would be better served read individually rather than in an omnibus, due to the striking feeling that all the stories fit the same template.

Having said that, they are brilliantly funny, well observed stories and kept me amused for 3 weeks travelling around Malaysia, even if I did start to speak like a bally colonial, wot!

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Started The Gathering of the Lost by Helen Lowe. Good so far, though not really all that much more to say on it. Like the book before it, The Heir of Night it's got a very 'classic fantasy' feel to it, which both works for it and against it, since it's not what I'd call 'easy reading'. But I've always had a weakness to stories of that sort as long as they're well told, and by all accounts it is.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Fumarole's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by corbain View Post
    Is that a euphemism for A Song of Ice and Fire?
    Just so.

10char
    The Medallion of the Imperial Psychopath, a Napoleon: Total War AAR
    For the Emperor!, a Total War: Shogun 2: Fall of the Samurai AAR

Wrapped up Rothfuss's Name of the Wind and on to the sequel, Wise Man's Fear. I feel like it is a bit slow and composed of many predictable cliches, yet I find myself yearning to keep reading it. Good job Rothfuss, good damn job :|

Also started on Piers Anthony's A Spell for Chameleon which is... peculiar. Only one chapter in, so can't say where the story is going yet. Remind's me of T. H White's The Once and Future King though.
    Postmortem: one must die- Political narrative-adventure game playing an Agent of Death who must take ONE life that could change the fate of a conflict-torn Nation!

Check out my DevBlog for news on the next title!

Activated Node
    I'm reading quite a lot at the moment. I've almost finished Quiet by Susan Cain. I'm not sure what I think about it. It's basically a thick, somewhat science-supported pamphlet promoting the joys of introversion as opposed to extroversion. Nice as something that affirms your views, maybe.

Then I'm reading the collected works of Kafka, translated into Dutch (because my German stops at 'yes' and 'no'). I'm not very far yet, but it's very interesting. Quite hard to get into, and certainly not something you read for a short while, while waiting for something. Definitely have to make time for it.

Which is why I'm also reading The God Delusion, which, despite written by a scientist, is pretty well suited to the pick-up-and-put-down style Kafka isn't. At least the first chapters, because I'm not very far either.

Oh, and I also re-read Gardens of the Moon, which I still think is one of the better books in that series, in terms of mystery.

Sneaky edit: I'm also reading college coursework, consisting of HTML5 and CSS stuff I already knew.
    Last edited by Cryptoshrimp; 30-10-2012 at 12:26 AM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus squirrel's Avatar
    A Chinese book "Understand History Through Money Eyes - China" by a guy pen named Boeing

In middle schools here, our Chinese history (every country's middle school subjects would include that country's own history I presume?) textbooks are divided into two parts: Part A of political development, and Part B of socio-economic development. More middle History teachers here find Part A more interesting and they often ignore Part B. I dont know if this is really permitted by the Education Department, after all Part B is officially included in Chinese History's syllabus. Anyway, middle school education is not assessed by any public examination, so they can afford to ignore it. Something so natural, isn't it? Part A is just like a novel to read, while Part B is boring as hell. But I read Part B of my textbooks myself, and Chinese History education in colleges here requires that students must study well in Part B (yeah, those who think studying History is just like reading novels, that they choose Chinese History in universities, are gonna be screwed).

So this book is exactly covering Part B. Another causal book to promote the supposingly boring academic studies. It describes the economic systems and constraints we faced in the past 4000 years and how they shaped our country. The author tried his best to get general audience to understand that History is not shaped by one or few heroes. Our welfare is determined by our geography. If rainfall distribution dictates that you could not grow crops in the north where annual rainfall is below 400mm, people there would be nomads, and would from time to time raid the southern peasants.

But great economists might occasionally emerge to reshape our society in spite of those constraint. For instance, to protect the issue above, during the Qin dynasty, the infamous Qin First Emperor decided that, in stead of waging massive warfare against the nomads, he ordered to, after having driven the nomads to the north, built the Great Wall (yes, THE Great Wall) exactly among the line dividing the zone from the North with annual rainfall below 400mm.

I never finished a book in my life besides those preschool books that have a few sentences in them and lots of pictures. I like pictures.

I don't know why this is though. I usually lay down in bed ( I hate when I have to sit in a chair and read because it hurts my neck when I try to look down on the book that's on my lap. Even if I try to raise the book up to my eye level , it feels totally uncomfortable for my circulation system ; so I just put it backdown to my lap level. Did I mention what happens when I put it on my lap? ) and when I try to read , I always end up falling asleep.

Network Hub
    I'm almost finishing Metro 2033 by Dmitry Glukhovsky. You know, the one that inspired the game. It's been quite a good reading.

Obscure Node
    Quote Originally Posted by Fontan View Post
    I'm almost finishing Metro 2033 by Dmitry Glukhovsky. You know, the one that inspired the game. It's been quite a good reading.
    If you haven't already, you should consider reading Roadside Picnic by Arkady & Boris Strugatsky which was the inspiraration for the film "Stalker", I just finished it and it was an interesting read.

Now I am reading Pulp by Charles Bukowski, nearly finished it though so I have Lovecraft's Necronomicon waiting for me.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    @Fontan, which source are you reading from? I picked up an ebook off some wikipedia link, the translation was atrocious.

I'm currently reading Loved and Lost in Lewisham by Peter Davey. A collection of romantic comedy short stories set in the London borough of Lewisham. I hardly ever venture into the Rom-com genre but I've been pleasantly surprised by this collection so far. There are some genuinely funny moments and touching or sweet scenes together with some well developed characters (mostly the male characters, and most of the stories are from the male's perspective). The sense of setting isn't that amazing though, it really could be set anywhere and you wouldn't know the difference but the actual stories are funny and interesting. Would recommend if you want some quickie short stories for casual reading.
    I have a new book out. Fancy some cynical fantasy comedy? Check it out:
    http://amzn.to/1oVrKlx

Read my other stuff: http://tessstenson.blogspot.co.uk/
    I also contribute to http://www.coffeebreakgaming.co.uk/

Network Hub
    Quote Originally Posted by Shane View Post
    @Fontan, which source are you reading from? I picked up an ebook off some wikipedia link, the translation was atrocious.
    I found it on a Google search, can't remember exactly where. I couldn't find one in Portuguese (my native language), so I went for the English version.

Network Hub
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr Bloodmoney View Post
    If you haven't already, you should consider reading Roadside Picnic by Arkady & Boris Strugatsky which was the inspiraration for the film "Stalker", I just finished it and it was an interesting read.
    Thanks for the tip, I'll look for it.