Page 3 of 113 FirstFirst 123451353103 ... LastLast
    Obscure Node
    Just finished Shadow Games (#4 or 5 of the Black Company series) by Glen Cook. Next I plan to read something else... I'm not really sure what.

just about finished rereading song of ice and fire in preparation for Feast of Dragons.
    Those books are really good.

Currently I am very much enjoying Everyone loves you when you're dead by Neil Strauss. It is a compilation of interviews he did in the last 20 years or so. It is loosely arranged by theme so you're reading about an American psy-ops soldier on one page and about Lady Gaga on the next. Great stuff.

I am also reading Bloodlands by Timothy Snyder and while it is very interesting, the subject matter doesn't lend itself to lengthy reading. Every couple of pages I have to put the book down because of it gruesomeness.

Obscure Node
    Suprisingly relevant I am reading Masters of Doom which is the story of the john carmack vs john romero saga all the way up to romero burning up with daikatana. Really decent read, very pirates of silicone valley

Obscure Node
    I've just finished Black Powder War, which is the third book in the very lovely Temeraire series. I'm just starting The God Delusion, by Richard Dawkins, which is one of those books that's been on my to-do list for aaages but I've only just gotten around to :)

Lesser Hivemind Node icupnimpn2's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Krans View Post
    In the Oxfam bookshop this morning I bought a copy of a Baen novel by John Dalmas entitled "The White Regiment". I do not yet have any idea whether it's any good, or indeed what it's about. I will report back soon!
    Haven't read Dalmas, but if you like the White Regiment you might want to be aware that the author has made its "lost" follow-on sequel available online for free

http://www.johndalmas.com/area/Catalog/

Obscure Node
    I've just finished volume 3(Dream Country) of The Sandman by Neil Gaiman (what? graphic novels count). Next up on my list is The Last Wish, the first Witcher novel.

Dude, you TOTALLY gotta tell me what you think about "The Last Wish", I just HAVE TO know... or maybe I'd just start a thread about it?

OK, I'm reading "Thud!" for the fourth time, that's Pratchett, and something about de Sade by an author you wouldn't even know exists, but it's about the century when our beloved Marquise was writing in. Good stuff, never knew that Cassanova was shy at first.

re-reading (listening this time actually) the Song of Ice and Fire books, and also reading The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle which is pretty good and weird.

The Difference Engine by William Gibson & Bruce Sterling. Only ~70 pages in and I'm completely drawn into the world. Great characters in a magnificent steampunk setting. Not to worry, that dosen't mean merely levers and crankshafts, there's more of the punk connotation (Downtrodden main character, majestic bureaucracies and ruthless politics) than the steam.

If you're a fan of Gibson, Stephenson, or Sterling I'd give it a strong recommend.

Paradise by Donald Barthelme.

Quote Originally Posted by wahwah View Post
    re-reading (listening this time actually) the Song of Ice and Fire books, and also reading The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle which is pretty good and weird.
    Did you read Kafka on the Shore and Norwegian Wood? Amazing things...

Obscure Node
    Quote Originally Posted by Berlin View Post
    My favourite Murakami books are probably A Wild Sheep Chase and Dance Dance Dance but everything I have read by him has been utterly spellbinding.

Quote Originally Posted by Berlin View Post
    Haven't read any other books by Murakami before, but they're on my list now :)

Quote Originally Posted by icupnimpn2 View Post
    Haven't read Dalmas, but if you like the White Regiment you might want to be aware that the author has made its "lost" follow-on sequel available online for free

http://www.johndalmas.com/area/Catalog/
    It wasn't particularly good, unfortunately. :-( But thanks for the link anyway!

I thought No Country and The Road were both incredibly good, which other books by McCarthy are good reads?

Lesser Hivemind Node westyfield's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Serenegoose View Post
    Currently reading Black Man by Richard Morgan
    How are you finding it? I read Altered Carbon and loved it, but I've heard Richard K. Morgan's other books aren't so good.
    Broken Angels and Woken Furies are on my list to read sometime, but I recently read A Game of Thrones (George R.R. Martin) and Revelation Space (Alastair Reynolds), so I have a fair few series to work through!

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by westyfield View Post
    How are you finding it? I read Altered Carbon and loved it, but I've heard Richard K. Morgan's other books aren't so good.
    Broken Angels and Woken Furies are on my list to read sometime, but I recently read A Game of Thrones (George R.R. Martin) and Revelation Space (Alastair Reynolds), so I have a fair few series to work through!
    Pretty interesting. The start was kinda wobbly but it's picking up pace really rather nicely - the first hundred or so pages had a problem of too many point of view characters - we're talking five or so. Once he got concentrated on the actual meat of the book, it all swung together rather nicely and I'm fairly tearing through it. It feels more 'professional' than Altered Carbon, the technical skills seem more in evidence (despite my feelings on the beginning) - time will tell whether I find the plot equally engaging - I'm a bit under half way through as I write this, so I can't say for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by wahwah View Post
    Haven't read any other books by Murakami before, but they're on my list now :)
    The latest Murakami (not yet released in English translation) sounds like it might have a similar tone to Wind Up Bird Chronicle, and I'm really looking forward to it. If you want more weird Murakami you can't go wrong with Hard Boiled Wonderland and The End of the World, and though Norwegian Wood is a much more straightforward story it is a lovely thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan View Post
    The latest Murakami (not yet released in English translation) sounds like it might have a similar tone to Wind Up Bird Chronicle, and I'm really looking forward to it. If you want more weird Murakami you can't go wrong with Hard Boiled Wonderland and The End of the World, and though Norwegian Wood is a much more straightforward story it is a lovely thing.
    I've read two parts of IQ84 and it's pretty decent. Lots of repetitions though.