Page 64 of 118 FirstFirst ... 1454626364656674114 ... LastLast
Results 1,261 to 1,280 of 2350
    As of this morning, Cold Days by Jim Butcher

it's making it damnably difficult to focus on my job

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Jockie's Avatar
    Like everyone else, just finished Red Country. Had a day off work, so I basically read it in one sitting last night. Good stuff, even if it did steal my setting for a book (western frontier meets fantasy), I'll let Abercrombie off this time though.

Also read 'The Revolution Was Televised' by Alan Sepinwall, which takes a look back at TV shows ranging from Oz to Breaking Bad which have changed the television form in the US, to a more long-form verson of story-telling. It includes interviews with a lot of great TV writers, such as David Chase (Sopranos), David Milch (Deadwood), Vince Gilligan (Breaking Bad) and David Simon (The Wire), although sadly the chapters on Buffy and Mad Men didn't have original interviews with the creators I'd still recommend it to people interested in the subject.

I'm currently buried in Ovid and Euripides mythology for academic purposes, but once that's done I will finish off the Malazan series, only one and a half books to go!
    I write about them video games at these locations

And on Twitter

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Xercies's Avatar
    Is it weird that a lot of great television shows were presided by people called David?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Kadayi's Avatar
    Cloud Atlas.

Halfway through and I'm amazed they ever thought they could make a film of it. There's so much going on that an HBO mini-series or some such would of been a better idea in truth.
    Why yes you're right I'm deliciously evil

Tradition is the tyranny of dead men

Steam:Kadayi Origin: Kadayi GFWL: Kadayi

Probable Replicant

*blush* I'm flattered by the attention boys, but please let's not make the thread about liddle old me

Quote Originally Posted by Finicky View Post
    Kadayi will remain the worst poster on the interwebs.
    Gifmaster 4000 2014 Year of the Gif

Their early work was a little too new wave for my tastes....

i am reading 50 shades of grey

Lesser Hivemind Node
    I was looking for books about Afghanistan's history of conflict when I came across Ghost Wars: Secret History of the CIA. It's from a Pulitzer Award winning author so I expect it to be good.

Any recommendation on books centered on Afghan history and culture, and/or its conflicts are welcome.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Fumarole's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Shane View Post
    Any recommendation on books centered on Afghan history and culture, and/or its conflicts are welcome.
    I was in a B&N yesterday and came across this book. I thought it looked interesting enought to pick up off the shelf and glance at, but I haven't read it. Obviously I can't speak to its quality.

Games Without Rules: The Often Interrupted History of Afghanistan
    The Medallion of the Imperial Psychopath, a Napoleon: Total War AAR
    For the Emperor!, a Total War: Shogun 2: Fall of the Samurai AAR

Obscure Node
    Blood and Bone by Ian C. Esslemont

It is the 5th in his side Malazan series. Interesting stuff with characters that you only see bits of in the main series.
    Me on Steam

Quote Originally Posted by samuraiweasel View Post
    Blood and Bone by Ian C. Esslemont.
    I just finished B&B on Friday. I quite liked it. Not his best (which I think is either Night of Knives or Orb, Sceptre, Throne) but still a real good read. The story, plotting, characters etc. were great... the insights and revelations and further mysteries we got were good as well... I felt the writing didn't work all the time though, it felt a little stilted, a little awkward at times... although I think that's because the style or flavour he was going for, the Colonial literature style, he didn't pull off entirely and at all times, with all of the characters. It worked largely, but just not everywhere. Am very much looking forward to his Assail novel now though, which should be acting as a coda for the whole Book of the Fallen and Crippled God plots and stories.

I'm now onto Daniel Abraham's 'Long Price Quartet'. It's Fantasy, but very much in the GRRM style... it's all about the people, the relationships, the politics, the intrigue etc. It's quite adult as far as themes (youth and old age, fertility, economics, industrialisation), and has an interesting 'magic' system (Andats, which are abstract concepts and principles given form, and act as the ultimate deterrent for the Empire/States that possess them - hence their focus on economy and industrialisation). Am about halfway through the first of the four books, and enjoying it thus far.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hypernetic View Post
    I just have an opinion different to your own. Circle jerking is good for no one, be glad somebody isn't afraid to disagree with women on the internet.
    No, you are literally the cancer that is killing gaming.
    Quote Originally Posted by Serenegoose View Post
    Nobody's ever lost sleep over being called a cracker.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Kelron's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Unaco View Post
    I'm now onto Daniel Abraham's 'Long Price Quartet'. It's Fantasy, but very much in the GRRM style... it's all about the people, the relationships, the politics, the intrigue etc.
    I read a preview of that at the end of one of R Scott Bakker's books and wasn't too impressed. Seemed like it was going for the "apprentice becomes chosen one" theme. Was I wrong about that?

Quote Originally Posted by Kelron View Post
    I read a preview of that at the end of one of R Scott Bakker's books and wasn't too impressed. Seemed like it was going for the "apprentice becomes chosen one" theme. Was I wrong about that?
    Yes. I kind of felt the same when I started (the first book), because it does seem to start off on that "Apprentice finds his/her mojo and saves the world" kind of path, but then subverts it. And the other 3 books span ~60 years, following the same 2 characters as the first, so they're not really apprentices anymore.
    I just have an opinion different to your own. Circle jerking is good for no one, be glad somebody isn't afraid to disagree with women on the internet.
    No, you are literally the cancer that is killing gaming.
    Quote Originally Posted by Serenegoose View Post
    Nobody's ever lost sleep over being called a cracker.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Kelron's Avatar
    Got a ton of books to read at the moment, but I'll have a look when I run out. Currently reading A Deepness In the Sky by Vernor Vinge. I don't find the science of his sci-fi as plausible as some other authors, but the cultures he invents, whether alien or human (who often seem alien) are convincing and fascinating.

And since I mentioned R Scott Bakker, I should add another recommendation for his books. I reread the Prince of Nothing trilogy before reading The Judging Eye, the first book of his current trilogy, and they grew on me with a second read. His inspirations are so obvious that I worried they'd be dull books, because you can instantly recognise that one country is an analogue of the Roman empire, and these baddies are inspired by Tolkien, etc. But the story and world he builds from it all is brilliant and unconventional fantasy, with one of the most ambiguous hero/villain characters I've ever read. I'm fairly sure I know where the story is going now, but there's still 2 books to read (one unreleased) and no doubt more surprises in store.

Obscure Node
    Tvtropes, if time counts, but the Silmarillion rests before my bedside.

Banned
    The Warlord Chronicles by Bernard Cornwell. His finest series to date and a brilliant take on Dark Age Britannia and King Arthur with some novel twists on renowned Arthurian characters. If you're a fan of Game of Thrones it's a must read, except it has more of a dark age feel rather than feudal.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus SirKicksalot's Avatar
    Night Watch by Sergey Lukyanenko. Perhaps you're familiar with the crazy Russian blockbusters based on it.
    tl;dr: two opposing supernatural groups try to maintain peace - while also doing their best to sabotage each other. The book follows one supernatural agent's adventures in contemporary Moscow. It's a fast-paced thriller dealing with excellent characters and a very cool and original fantasy world. The movies change many story beats but the spirit of the book is there. It's crazy, unique, fun as hell and very, very Russian. One of the best modern fantasy novels. Can't wait to read the sequels!

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Sketch's Avatar
    So for my birthday I got given a Kindle and its made me realise outside of Discworld and ASoIaF, I have nothing to read. Not in that there is nothing, just that I have no idea what's good and isn't really. So any books/series you guys recommend please let me know and I'd be grateful. I have a hankering for good sci fi but anything that's fiction usually interests me as long as it's well written. Thanks in advance.
    steam: sketch

Secondary Hivemind Nexus sabrage's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Woundedbum View Post
    So for my birthday I got given a Kindle and its made me realise outside of Discworld and ASoIaF, I have nothing to read. Not in that there is nothing, just that I have no idea what's good and isn't really. So any books/series you guys recommend please let me know and I'd be grateful. I have a hankering for good sci fi but anything that's fiction usually interests me as long as it's well written. Thanks in advance.
    -Rendezvous With Rama
    -Gödel, Escher, Bach
    -Invisible Cities
    -The Sirens of Titan
    -Kangaroo Notebook

With apologies for being too lazy to put down/look up authors. I also have no idea if any of those are available as E-Books.

Does anyone have any fun "speculative fiction" recommendations? I've spent the last year dipping in and out of Peter F Hamilton's Commonwealth saga, and really getting into the whole 'this is how human society will develop' aspects of it; the outer planets which are the galactic equivalent of the countryside, compared to the shiny inner planets which have been colonised for centuries and have massive cities and high society types; the fact that consciousness can be cloud-saved and downloaded into a new body when you die, and how that plays into plotlines. Really digging it.

I also enjoyed what Ready Player One had to say about where we're going.

I didn't enjoy what I read of Snow Crash. It went on for way too long about a guy who delivers pizza and how it's all America is good at. It just felt like a cynical hippie's thinly-veiled sarcastic rant about modern society, and I was bored. I want a Star Trek future, not a Logan's Run future, dammit!

I'm looking for something maybe a bit snappier and shorter to blast through over the Christmas break.

Are, erm... ahem... are the Mass Effect books any good?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Sketch's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by sabrage View Post
    -Rendezvous With Rama
    -Gödel, Escher, Bach
    -Invisible Cities
    -The Sirens of Titan
    -Kangaroo Notebook

With apologies for being too lazy to put down/look up authors. I also have no idea if any of those are available as E-Books.
    Thanks for the suggestions, that Rendezvous with Rama has been mentioned a few times now. I'll check them all out, cheers.
    steam: sketch

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Jockie's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Space Indaver View Post
    Does anyone have any fun "speculative fiction" recommendations? I've spent the last year dipping in and out of Peter F Hamilton's Commonwealth saga, and really getting into the whole 'this is how human society will develop' aspects of it; the outer planets which are the galactic equivalent of the countryside, compared to the shiny inner planets which have been colonised for centuries and have massive cities and high society types; the fact that consciousness can be cloud-saved and downloaded into a new body when you die, and how that plays into plotlines. Really digging it.

I also enjoyed what Ready Player One had to say about where we're going.

I didn't enjoy what I read of Snow Crash. It went on for way too long about a guy who delivers pizza and how it's all America is good at. It just felt like a cynical hippie's thinly-veiled sarcastic rant about modern society, and I was bored. I want a Star Trek future, not a Logan's Run future, dammit!

I'm looking for something maybe a bit snappier and shorter to blast through over the Christmas break.

Are, erm... ahem... are the Mass Effect books any good?
    Congratulations, you are the target audience for the book i am (kinda, not really, but sort of) writing! You might like to check out Iain M Bank's Surface Detail (or just the culture series in general) which explores other ideas around future visions of the afterlife.
    I write about them video games at these locations

And on Twitter