Page 76 of 114 FirstFirst ... 2666747576777886 ... LastLast
Results 1,501 to 1,520 of 2277
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus gundato's Avatar
    Read Leviathan Wakes and The Dragon's Path (they both share an author, and both were in the same ebook :p) over the past week or two.

Leviathan Wakes: Must say, this is probably my favorite space opera that I enjoy for the storytelling, not just the high conceptness (if that makes any sense). Very good and "realistic" space combat, plot twists that comes out of nowhere (in a good way), and a REALLY likeable pair of viewpoint characters.

Holden the Earther who basically represents the idealist. The man who believes people are fundamentally good and that, given the choice, people will do the right and logical thing.

Miller the Belter, who is basically a cowboy cop in space (I got strong Max Payne vibes. More MP3 than MP2, but still Max). Says something when he and his various partners are portrayed as pretty damned corrupt and yet still come across as likeable. Likely because the writers focused on showing that he has an unconventional sense of morality and ethics.

Throughout the course of the book, the secrets behind attacks and the start of a war are explored while showing both characters breaking down to varying degrees. Holden being forced to compromise on his morals and Miller being driven further into a downward spiral and his fixation on his last case as an attempt at providing some form of meaning to his life. It is a surprisingly dark and character driven book (especially for a space opera), but it avoids getting grimdark. More dark psychologically than gory, which was nice.

The Dragon's Path was okay. Nothing amazing, but I'll probably keep reading the rest of the series after I finish the books in The Expanse that are currently released.
    Steam: Gundato
    PSN: Gundato
    If you want me on either service, I suggest PMing me here first to let me know who you are.

Four days of taking care of my parents' house and I always read a lot while I'm out there, so:

Douglas Coupland - Player One
    I rather enjoyed this, except for the ending. The ending could have been okay if done differently, but as it is, it feels a bit much like he got tired of the story.

Bruce Chatwin - The Songlines
    Very interesting, but a bit too many chapters with stuff from his notebooks (some of it is interesting, but all the quotes do drag on a bit).

Clancy & Pieczenik - Tom Clancy's Op Centre: Mirror Image
    Feels like it's written solely for the money. Half-assed and not very convincing.

Ildefonso Falcones - The Hand of Fatima (or La Mano de Fatima)
    My mother is reading this and has been talking about it so when I ran out of books I tried it and got pleasantly surprised. About a Moorish family in Spain around 1564, the oppression from the Christians and all the other stuff they have to go through. ~1000 pages and quite entertaining as well as enlightening.

Ken Follett - World Without End
    Sequel to The Pillars of the Earth, rather extremely so; it's not the same story, but it kind of feels like it. That's okay, though, it still works and the ~1000 pages don't feel too long or anything.

Currently reading multiple books simultaneously

Babel 17 -
    Samuel Delaney

The Fifth Head of Cerberus -
    Gene Wolfe

Harry Potter & The Philosophers Stone -
    J K Rowling

The Dispossessed -
    Ursula K Le Guin

The State Of The Art -
    Iain M Banks

Full Dark, No Stars -
    Stephen King

Doesn't that get confusing reading all those books at the same time? I can only read one fiction at a time otherwise my brain tends to meld stories together, though I can cope with one fiction and one none-fiction like I'm reading now, The Unlikely Pilgrimage of Harold Fry by Rachel Joyce and The Hell of it All by Charlie Brooker.

I would have thought that, but it doesn't seem to be happening. This is only something I've started doing since I got an ebook reader / smartphone. Before that it was strictly one, maybe two at a time.

Now I can read lots of books at the same time, the only issue is that the more I read the longer it takes to finish all of them. But I certainly don't mix up the stories. I read about a chapter of each per day, but if one is particularly gripping I might read more. However when I reach about 3/4 through a book I usually focus on that one until its done.

This is a practice I pretty much mirror across a lot of pursuits in life. It doesn't always work (cooking is a good example) but I'm always trying to do multiple things at once

Just finished The State Of The Art, quite good although the last story (its a collection of shorts) was just stream of consiousness style writing and I didn't follow it.

Obscure Node
    Just finished The Man in the Maze by Robert Silverberg. Thought-provoking and entertaining novel about social isolation, mixed with some philosophical musings about free will vs. determination, the merits of the older generation's experience vs. youthful idealism.

Even the pseudo-science holds up quite nicely (considering the novel's from 1969). The only thing that feels really dated is the treatment of women as merely decorative.

Sadly, the Kindle edition is riddled with misspelled words and other glaring errors. More proofreading would be highly appreciated =)

I started reading Absalom, Absalom! by William Faulkner. Oh gods. I thought Pynchon or Joyce were hard to read but Faulkner is almost worse. Sentences casually go on for half a page in stream of consciousness style and it's really difficult to make any sense out of it.
    to wound the autumnal city.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Just finished The Bloodline Feud which is the first in the re-released (in the UK) Merchant Princes's series by Charles Stross. Started off a bit slow, got better. Good premise - a bloodline of travellers from an alternate earth can come here, and use their ability to sidestep our border control to smuggle copious amounts of drugs across the border, using the proceeds to buy themselves all the tools they need to set themselves up as royalty on their side - which is still stuck in the dark ages. Enter the protagonist, basically.

Started The Quantum Thief, by Hannu Rajaniemi. I don't know what this one's about yet, save that it's sci-fi, set in a colonised solar system, and all the civilisations are weird and seem largely post-human.

Obscure Node
    I'm reading Nietzsche's On The Genealogy of Morals at the moment. I took some philosophy courses in college (Ancient Philosophy & Contemporary Metaphysics) and wanted to revisit the subject. It's an interesting book but it reads so differently from any other philosophy I've ever read. The philosophy department at my school is of the analytic tradition, so I have no clue what these continental guys are talking about.

Hell, I tried reading some Hegel the other day and wanted to cry. Serious question though: How do you folks do it? Nietzsche is fine, but I have no idea ​what Hegel is trying to get at when I read him.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Kadayi's Avatar
    Extremely gutted that Jack Vance died. I highly recommend his Dying Earth books to anyone and everyone as they are extremely entertaining. Found his short story Liane the Wayfarer here: -

http://hell.pl/szymon/Baen/The%20bes...498747__26.htm

and I urge you to take the 3 -5 minutes necessary to read it as it is masterful in terms of its execution.
    Last edited by Kadayi; 07-06-2013 at 10:19 PM.
    Why yes you're right I'm deliciously evil

Tradition is the tyranny of dead men

Steam:Kadayi Origin: Kadayi GFWL: Kadayi

Probable Replicant

*blush* I'm flattered by the attention boys, but please let's not make the thread about liddle old me

Quote Originally Posted by Finicky View Post
    Kadayi will remain the worst poster on the interwebs.
    Gifmaster 4000 2014 Year of the Gif

Secondary Hivemind Nexus sonson's Avatar
    I am reading Comic Books. I had a nervous breakdown around a year and a half ago and was diagnosed with Acute Anxiety, on top of that my wife has severe Depression, and in that time frame my ability to cope with dense print has sadly been severely jeopardised, so I thought I would give Graphic Novels a stab and check out the ones which are well regarded.

Read Batman: Year One the other day and really enjoyed it. It’s odd reading things which are highly rated in a medium I’m new to because I tend to find myself having an internal monologue along the lines of “Is it THIS bit that makes it highly rated? Is it THIS way he draws things like that? ” But I got to the end and both wanted to read it again and decided that it had been a fun time after the event. Started The Dark Night Returns last night and felt similarly. I’ve got Alan Moore’s most famous canon lined up to go (From Hell, Watchmen, V, Swamp Thing) as well as Criminal by Ed Brubaker and The DMZ series as well.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Jesus_Phish's Avatar
    If you're looking for some more comics I'd gladly recommend some sonson. I love me some books with pictures. In fact we've a thread around here somewhere on what comics people are reading that you'll get some good recommendations in.
    "Halo is designed to make the player think "I look like that, I am macho sitting in my undies with my xbox""

Steam ID

Obscure Node
    Quote Originally Posted by sonson View Post
    I am reading Comic Books. I had a nervous breakdown around a year and a half ago and was diagnosed with Acute Anxiety, on top of that my wife has severe Depression, and in that time frame my ability to cope with dense print has sadly been severely jeopardised, so I thought I would give Graphic Novels a stab and check out the ones which are well regarded.

Read Batman: Year One the other day and really enjoyed it. It’s odd reading things which are highly rated in a medium I’m new to because I tend to find myself having an internal monologue along the lines of “Is it THIS bit that makes it highly rated? Is it THIS way he draws things like that? ” But I got to the end and both wanted to read it again and decided that it had been a fun time after the event. Started The Dark Night Returns last night and felt similarly. I’ve got Alan Moore’s most famous canon lined up to go (From Hell, Watchmen, V, Swamp Thing) as well as Criminal by Ed Brubaker and The DMZ series as well.
    Dude, you have got to read Preacher.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Fumarole's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by illway View Post
    Any comic with Bill Hicks in it must be worth checking out.

The Medallion of the Imperial Psychopath, a Napoleon: Total War AAR
    For the Emperor!, a Total War: Shogun 2: Fall of the Samurai AAR

Secondary Hivemind Nexus gundato's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by illway View Post
    Just be careful which Ennis books you read and in what order you read them. Most people I have met absolutely LOVE their first Ennis book, enjoy the second, and are tired of him by the third. My personal recommendations are to do Ennis's run of The Punisher (starts with the Marvel Knights, ends with The Punisher: MAX, pseudo-continued by Jason Aaron with Punishermax which is actually quite good) and Preacher. After that, consider The Boys which is also pretty good, but not as essential.
    Steam: Gundato
    PSN: Gundato
    If you want me on either service, I suggest PMing me here first to let me know who you are.

For the record, Planetary was a damn fine graphic novel by Warren Ellis and John Cassaday that I still re-read every so often.

Last edited by Rath; 07-06-2013 at 12:23 PM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus ColOfNature's Avatar
    Anything by Warren Ellis, in fact! Transmetropolitan, naturally. Global Frequency, Doktor Sleepless, The Authority, Blackgas. I really like Fell, but it's on hiatus with no sign of being revived. Supergods. Ministry of Space. Damn, why am I wasting my time being on holiday when I could be in a darkened room at home reading comics?
    ...common and uninteresting.
    | Steam | Desura | Twitter |

Activated Node
    I've finally started ICE's Malazan books after a long hiatus (because I tend to absorb their style and writing High Fantasy isn't my thing), starting with Knight of Knives. It's pretty good so far and I'm very excited to see how Shit Goes Down.
    Yeah well, the furnace is nice and warm and I'm bored.

Been alternating between three books to keep my life interesting:

First break all the rules by Buckingham - a book about managing people - very excellent and I'm learning a ton. It also helps it's not predictable positive messages but pretty blunt (i.e. "no you really can't change people", "treating people equally doesn't work" etc.) but reasonable. If people have other recommendations for similar books i'd appreciate it.
    Casual Vacancy by Rowling - only read some 60 pages in setting up the messed up little town. Can't say how I feel about it yet as I'm still not exactly sure where it's going.
    What to Eat by Nestle - a researched look at the food industry and politics, covering the processing, law, organics, chemistry etc. etc. behind it all. Interesting and pretty unbiased, surprisingly.
    Postmortem: one must die- Political narrative-adventure game playing an Agent of Death who must take ONE life that could change the fate of a conflict-torn Nation!

Check out my DevBlog for news on the next title!

Secondary Hivemind Nexus sabrage's Avatar
    Finished White Noise and A Moveable Feast last week, both of which were exceedingly excellent. On to Crime and Punishment, which is overly verbose and poorly written/translated and Raskolinov is a massive douche. I may track down one of the other translations (I have the Garnett version) and see how they compare.