Page 1 of 118 1231151101 ... LastLast

What book are you reading?

THE FORUM NEEDS BOOKS.

As with my last post in the thread on ye-olde-o-forum, I am reading Soul Music by Terry Pratchett.

Obscure Node
    Just read The Psychopath Test by Jon Ronson last week. Not sure what to read next.

The Greg Mandel trilogy by Peter F. Hamilton (currently on book 2/3). On account of having read everything else of his.

Also the free sample of the Witcher book (english translation) wasn't half bad, so I'm considering that for afterwards.

Close to finishing The Broken Sword and have been really enjoying it.

Just finished re-reading the A Song of Ice and Fire books. Need to find something else to read later.
    Last edited by Mana_Garmr; 03-06-2011 at 10:38 AM. Reason: Italics tag didn't work

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Kelron's Avatar
    Dune Messiah.

Just finished Don Quixote which was an interesting read, took me a long time to get through it. It made me wish I was fluent enough to read it in Spanish, the translation was good but a lot of the wordplay simply doesn't work in English.

'Twirlymen' by Amol Rajan, an account of the history of spin bowling. Quite absorbing.

Also, Roger Zelazny's 'Chronicles Of Amber', a supposed fantasy classic I've never got round to trying. So far it veers between inspired and somewhat leaden, but there's more than enough to keep me reading.
    Last edited by moth bones; 03-06-2011 at 10:50 AM. Reason: italics don't seem to work

Obscure Node
    Last thing I read was I Shall Wear Midnight by Terry Pratchett. That man can't write fast enough. Does anyone have any suggestions for a Pratchett-lover that's read all the Pratchett books? I need to broaden my horizons methinks.

I'm on the Xeelee Sequence omnibus by Stephen Baxter, just started the last one in the omnibus, Ring. Excellent read so far, even though the first book in this set, Raft, starts off as one of those tiresome 'adventure tourism' books but does improve dramatically after.

Also just got the third Achewood collection. I love Achewood.

@ Ace Jon: Are the Tiffany Aching ones good for all ages, then? I've not got to them in the order of Discworld books anyway but I was a bit unsure because of them being branded as targeted at "Young Adult".

Obscure Node
    Nice to see other book lovers! I'm a big fan of fantasy, sci-fi, novels, and more.

@ Ian
    I think they are fine, perhaps not as complicated as the normal Discworld novel. Discworld is one of my favourite fantasy series, good to see other fans here.

@ Ezhar
    Are they any good so far? I've read the Night's Dawn trilogy but not the Greg Mandel one yet. Loved the Night's Dawn Trilogy though.

I'm currently (re)reading 'Mountain of Black Glass' part three of the 'Otherland' series by Tad Wiliams. It's pretty good.

Patriot Games by Tom Clancy. I've played so many of Tom Clancy games and I realized that I've never read a single Tom Clancy book.. So I started reading the entire Jack Ryan series.

I'm in the middle of Cursor's Fury by Jim Butcher. Book three of the excellent Codex Alera series.

@Theoban, I've been pondering Baxter for a while now after mostly enjoying Moonseed. I also have Vacuum Diagrams, is that an ok place to start with him?

@amishmonster - unsure to be honest, I've only read these four books in the omnibus, but looking at what people are saying, Vacuum Diagrams seems a good place to step into his Xeelee Sequence of books

Obscure Node
    I finished up <i>The Quantum Thief</i> by Hannu Rajaniemi last night and started <i>Traitor</i> by Duncan Falconer - it's a McNab-esque action jobby, but with the SBS rather than the SAS. It'll probably be done by the end of the weekend at which point I'll either go back to hard sci fi with <i>Leviathan Wakes</i> by James Corey, go down the fantasy route with Sanderson's <i>The Way of Kings</i> or go for something else entirely.
    Last edited by Ging; 03-06-2011 at 11:55 AM. Reason: hurray for italics!

Lesser Hivemind Node westyfield's Avatar
    I'm currently reading <I>No Country for Old Men</I> by Cormac McCarthy. After that I'm going to read <i>Mass Effect: Retribution</i> by Drew Karpyshyn.
    Last edited by westyfield; 03-06-2011 at 11:51 AM. Reason: italics tags use < not [

I have been reading the Hunger Games trilogy recently, but right now I'm flipping through 250 Indie Games You Must Play. I've also got Machine of Death lined up for reading later.

Started up Relentless by Dean Koontz last week.

Obscure Node
    Currently reading Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card. Author is a ballbag, but the book is amazing.

Obscure Node
    Patriot Games is the best in the series. And the first chapter is the best first chapter I have read in terms of gripping you and forcing you to read the rest of the book.