Page 81 of 113 FirstFirst ... 3171798081828391 ... LastLast
Results 1,601 to 1,620 of 2250
    Network Hub
    Quote Originally Posted by Serenegoose View Post
    Discworld, eh?
    Also mostly anything with Sam Vimes and the City Watch in (though ROI falters around Fifth Elephant, it picks up with Night Watch)

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    I like Vimes a lot. I think those books peaked with Thud, which is really, really good, but Snuff just didn't bring it for me. Not to say it's bad, but the high points of discworld are not easy to match by any standards.

After reading a couple of Cory Doctorow novels, and thoroughly enjoying them (Little Brother and the sequel Homeland), I've switched tracks to start reading the Sherlock Holmes collection.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Sketch's Avatar
    Nightswatch is my favourite book of Vimes'.

Thief of Time and Small Gods are excellent though. In fact, so many of them are excellent.
    steam: sketch

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by Gerbick View Post
    I've switched tracks to start reading the Sherlock Holmes collection.
    Ooh nice! I am making my way through them also, grabbed them from gutenberg and put them on the e-reader. Some of the smaller story's are a bit disappointing though.

Right now reading Tigers in the Mud, a account of a WWII german tank commander about his experience with the Tiger tank on the eastern front.
    PS2/NS2/Mumble: SirWigglyBottom
    Steam: The Almighty Snark

Bread?

Network Hub
    Went back to "Dune" after a long time. brilliant books, although, i am extremely not fond of the whole ghola stuff.

Speaking of Pratchett I loved Nightwatch and enjoyed Going Postal, but noticed they were very similar in structure and story. I heard from others that while Pratchett's writing is indeed fantabulous, his overall story archs tend to be lacking and a bit repetetive... is that so? Repetiveness and predictability kind kill the fun for me so im a bit reluctant to pick up the next book by him.

But I just started on The Eye of the World by Robert Jordan, first of the Wheel of Time series. It's a bit slow so far, only 50 pages in, but I've been craving some good fantasy lately and it's scratching the itch as things are picking up. The whole opening, with winter and village descriptions, keeps reminding me of Skyrim tho haha :p
    Postmortem: one must die- Political narrative-adventure game playing an Agent of Death who must take ONE life that could change the fate of a conflict-torn Nation!

Check out my DevBlog for news on the next title!

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Sparkasaurusmex's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Koobazaur View Post
    The Eye of the World
    I have that here but never get started because the whole thing seems so incredibly long.

I've recently started reading China Mieville's Kraken, and it's pretty good. Reminds me of something I can't quite recall.

Quote Originally Posted by Koobazaur View Post
    Speaking of Pratchett I loved Nightwatch and enjoyed Going Postal, but noticed they were very similar in structure and story. I heard from others that while Pratchett's writing is indeed fantabulous, his overall story archs tend to be lacking and a bit repetetive... is that so? Repetiveness and predictability kind kill the fun for me so im a bit reluctant to pick up the next book by him.

Noo, I definitely wouldn't say that. There are different characters who's story arcs have the similar themes (Rincewind is a massive failure, yet somehow pulls through) but I think the journey of each story is pretty different. I don't think you'd notice anything really if you read them in the order they came out in. If you splurged on the same arcs in quick succession, I think that's the only time you'd have an issue, and I'm not even sure you would...

Currently going through Team of Rivals: Political Genius of Abraham Lincoln by Doris Goodwin :)
    Its a 700 page monster but its an enjoyable insight in the pre election struggles as well as the legacy of Abe.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    The Book of the New Sun, book one of two. I felt like an idiot reading it; I think it'll take half-a-dozen re-reads before I begin to make sense of it.

Contagious, a book on viral marketing, I felt it was just stating the obvious with some interesting real world examples added. Another book that was far more informative was Yes!, written by three professors belonging to American universities, the book is a much better read than Contagious. Much more informative than Contagious, the book is divided into chapters, each dealing with one aspect of every day psychology backed up by experiments conducted by the authors.

Unaccustomed Earth by Jhumpa Lahiri, don't really read books such as these but my father got it from the library, the stories are enjoyable, the language is simplistic but I feel the book wanting in depth.

The Dark Tower and Embassytown arrived in the mail a few days back so they are next.

I've been thinking of getting the second book of the Malazan series, but the first one failed to impress me. The world, mythopoeia, are decent enough but the unlikable characters and mediocre storyline took the sheen off of those.

Borrowed Timeline from the local library but forgot to take it back, so I am now in a hurry to finish it. The story setup is interesting thus far, though there's at least one bit I either don't understand or isn't truthfully told in the story so far.

[spoiler]If the machine sends people into a parallel universe rather than back in time, how did the Professor's note end up in the ruins of their own universe?[/spoiler]

Also finished JPod recently. I loved Microservs but I felt JPod tries to hard to be v2.0 - compared to its predecessor there is just too much going on outside of the pod. The inclusion of Coupland as an actual character is explained well, but the ending was kind of an anti-climax compared to Microserv's.

Quote Originally Posted by Shane View Post
    The Dark Tower and Embassytown arrived in the mail a few days back so they are next.
    How I wish to be able to read The Dark Tower for the first time again.
    - If the sound of Samuel Barber's "Adagio For Strings" makes you think of Kharak burning instead of the Vietnamese jungle, most of your youth happened during the 90s. -

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    I've been thinking of getting the second book of the Malazan series, but the first one failed to impress me. The world, mythopoeia, are decent enough but the unlikable characters and mediocre storyline took the sheen off of those.
    This doesn't really surprise me. Erikson trained as an anthropologist and an archaeologist (so this thread told me and wiki confirms) which is probably great at knowing the history of civilisations and making hugely elaborate, byzantine worlds. But it's easy to let 'I know lots of details! let me worldbuild at you for 500 pages' drive your book instead of say... your story.

As for embassytown, let me know what you think! I thought it was very interesting, but I'll say nothing more for fear of colouring your perception.

"Gardens of the Moon" was a difficult one for me, when I started as well... I wouldn't say they were unlike-able characters, just took a while to see what they were all about, and the story was somewhat confused. Although that is something Erikson has addressed, in that they had to start in the middle of the story, they can't go back to the 'start' because that would be 250,000 years or more ago. Also, GotM had gone through a dozen iterations before it became the book it was... movie scripts, comedies about the Phoenix Inn regulars... I think it suffered from that constant changing over 15 years or so. By the end of it, I was hooked though.

I'd highly recommend trying "Deadhouse Gates". It jumps away to a new continent, and entirely new characters (some of them you might like), and the storyline is a lot more focussed, and contains possibly one of the greatest events I've read in literature in a long time ('the Chain of Dogs').

I might be somewhat biased though, as I think the Malazan series are some of the best things I've ever read and I try to promote them to others as often as I can. They're an absolute breath of fresh air with their attitudes to gender, race, sexuality... they continue the maturing and evolution of Fantasy that people like Glenn Cook started... It throws out, destroys, subverts, and generally plays with many of the tropes and cliches and standards of fantasy (it's more like a Greek or Roman epic, with the Empire, and the meddling Gods, the tragedies etc)... its ability to create a world (not a country, or a kingdom, or a continent... a whole world, hundreds of thousands of years of its history, every layer of time)... the way it tells a story about people, the characters there, but also about Peoples, the cultures, civilisations, societies they come from... just like it tells a story about events, the things that happen, but also tells the stories of those events that came before, the history that lead to these events your reading about. The way it ties up all of that is, to me, pretty special.
    Last edited by Unaco; 26-08-2013 at 05:13 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hypernetic View Post
    I just have an opinion different to your own. Circle jerking is good for no one, be glad somebody isn't afraid to disagree with women on the internet.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hypernetic View Post
    No, you are literally the cancer that is killing gaming.
    Quote Originally Posted by Serenegoose View Post
    Nobody's ever lost sleep over being called a cracker.

I really hope I can get into Malazan. I flicked through the first pages and enjoy his style at least. I heard there's a spoiler free re-read that can be quite helpful in GotM to keep you following things. I'll dig it up if anyone wants it.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    I didn't really have any trouble following the story or the characters it focused on. I just felt that the world was wasted on it, with gods and whatnot being active participants in a story that was rather lacking in depth. I'm still rather tempted to go after Deadhouse Gates because I did rather enjoy the world. To me it was like the Star Wars universe with with it's deep history, numerous worlds and species, but the movies glossing all of that to show you two hours of Jar Jar Binks.

Quote Originally Posted by Unaco View Post
    I might be somewhat biased though, as I think the Malazan series are some of the best things I've ever read and I try to promote them to others as often as I can.
    I think it was your post on this thread that convinced me to get it. I absolutely do not regret the purchase but I was certainly expecting more.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus mrpier's Avatar
    Deadhouse Gates and Memories of Ice are proably the best in the series, so if you enjoyed the first book at least a little then I would continue.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Faldrath's Avatar
    So "Colour of Magic" turned out to be incredibly entertaining - I certainly plan on reading more. But I took a detour to read "Alloy of Law", and I didn't find it very convincing - the whole Western+Batman+Criminal Minds thing didn't quite gel, although the end suggested that some interesting stuff may be planned for the future, so I'll keep an eye on that.

And then I started Conrad's "Nostromo". I went in pretty blind, refusing to read anything about it, and it has been quite an interesting experience. The first 50 pages or so you wonder what the hell is going on, but when the pieces fall into place it becomes an extremely gripping read, I'm quite pleased with it and curious to see how it will end.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Sparkasaurusmex's Avatar
    Pratchett's pretty great. I used to consider him a Douglas Adams wannabe, but he can spin a good yarn in his own way. Obviously he's been fortunate enough to be around and write a lot more than Adams.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Kadayi's Avatar
    The Book of the New Sun, book one of two. I felt like an idiot reading it; I think it'll take half-a-dozen re-reads before I begin to make sense of it.
    Great book. Stick with it, just be conscious that Severian is an unreliable narrator not disinclined to papering over things.
    Why yes you're right I'm deliciously evil

Tradition is the tyranny of dead men

Steam:Kadayi Origin: Kadayi GFWL: Kadayi

Probable Replicant

*blush* I'm flattered by the attention boys, but please let's not make the thread about liddle old me

Quote Originally Posted by Finicky View Post
    Kadayi will remain the worst poster on the interwebs.
    Gifmaster 4000 2014 Year of the Gif

He who controls the Doge controls the universe