Page 18 of 113 FirstFirst ... 816171819202868 ... LastLast
    Dead Space: Martyr

It's a book that follows the scientist Altman. And prequels Deadspace 1.
    It has some really juicy descriptions of the horrifying necromorphs.
    Last edited by ssj_jessy; 16-11-2011 at 10:02 PM.

Network Hub
    Just had a thought. I don't get many!

Reading an ebook and a chapter mentions popular music playing in the background. Wouldn't it be a good idea if the music (real only?) mentioned in any ebook was played at a very low volume, almost out of earshot? Optional of course. I think the same method could be applied to other scene media? TV, Cinema, opera, traffic even(?) etc.

Maybe it's the Grants but I like this idea. I'm almost certain that someones gonna say "There's an app for that".

"Yeah, they call it film."
    Last edited by Heister; 17-11-2011 at 01:45 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Krans View Post
    Excession is an excellent novel -- one of Banks' best, in my opinion.
    I've just read the synopsis of Excession, it's now on my to-do list! I will then look at the others and see what tickles the fancy.

Someone mentioned at work the other day about Tom Clancy, I might have to do a mammoth re-read of some of those now..
    Planetside2 / Firefall: Crustycuffs
    Mechwarrior Online / Blood Bowl: Mrchinchin25
    GuildWars2: Shiifty (Mesmer) Frank Tankborn (Warrior)
    Raptr: mrchinchin25 Steam: mrchinchin25 Origin: ​Crustycuffs

I just finished reading an Advance Reader Copy of David Weber's latest book, A Rising Thunder. Also The Way of Shadows by Brent Weeks.

Banned
    Any advice on what fantasy books to read, gents?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Althea's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by R-F View Post
    Could you be a little bit more specific?

Since pretty much every other person in the entire world seems to be reading them (based on my highly scientific survey in which I look at what people on my commute are reading and filter out everything that's different) I decided I might as well give the Song of Ice and Fire books a try.

Enjoying so far, but it's a little hard to judge since I already know the story from the TV adaptation.

I've only read the first ASOIAF book but I very much enjoyed it. Will probably see if I can get somebody to get the second one for Christmas.

Still reading Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy.

I'm enjoying it but at about a third of the way through it's been pretty slow going.
    A brave heart and a courteous tongue. They shall carry thee far through the jungle, manling.

Quote Originally Posted by Heister View Post
    Just had a thought. I don't get many!

Reading an ebook and a chapter mentions popular music playing in the background. Wouldn't it be a good idea if the music (real only?) mentioned in any ebook was played at a very low volume, almost out of earshot? Optional of course. I think the same method could be applied to other scene media? TV, Cinema, opera, traffic even(?) etc.

Maybe it's the Grants but I like this idea. I'm almost certain that someones gonna say "There's an app for that".

"Yeah, they call it film."
    There's an app for that :)

Quote Originally Posted by Ian View Post
    Still reading Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy.

I'm enjoying it but at about a third of the way through it's been pretty slow going.
    Yeah, I enjoyed TTSS, but I'm a little confused by the praise it gets. It's a good book, but I don't think it has the depth to justify its pacing. Le Carre's other classic, The Spy Who Came in from the Cold, is a lot snappier.

Right now I'm dividing my reading time between The Guermantes Way and An Unwinnable War.
    Last edited by MD!; 24-11-2011 at 10:42 AM.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by UnravThreads View Post
    Could you be a little bit more specific?
    Not really. D:

Just take it as a given that if it's fairly mainstream, I've probably read it, and go from there.

Not really. D:

Just take it as a given that if it's fairly mainstream, I've probably read it, and go from there.
    Huh. Well.

Tim Powers' The Anubis Gates was fucking awesome. You might try that. If you're looking for something unusual you could try David Lindsay's The Haunted Woman.

Neither are especially fantastical, dealing more with weirdness in the real world than orcs and elves running amok, but The Anubis Gates is a fabulous romp.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus DaftPunk's Avatar
    Big fan of SC games,never read any splinter cell novel and i heard good things about them,so i downloaded all 5 of them for my mobile phone,already completed first one (2004).

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Finished 'Alloy of Law', which was an absolutely excellent light adventure, with wonderfully snappy dialogue, enjoyably larger-than-life characters, and some great fight scenes.

Now onto 'The Wise Mans Fear', because I want a book that meanders and takes its time and this seems to fit the bill.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus mrpier's Avatar
    Neuromancer by William Gibson, slightly disappointed to be honest, but it's not bad by any means.

Network Hub
    Quote Originally Posted by MD! View Post
    :) Nice find!! I think I'll have a look into that.

After finishing Stephen King's 11.22.63 (which I really enjoyed) I found The Best Time Travel Stories of the 20th Century. So I'm passing the time away with that atm.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Drake Sigar's Avatar
    I've decided to crack open Brett 'Hitman' Hart's wrestling biography again. It's tough watching user reviews attach their bias to what is clearly a very straight and honest book, filled with the magical and heart-wrenching moments which accompany such an interesting life.

Of course! I recommend The Deed of Paksenarrion by Elizabeth Moon.

Earlier this week I finished The Complete Short Stories of JG Ballard. Has taken me since March. Brilliant though!

Now almost finished The Atrocity Exhibition.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Nalano's Avatar
    Currently switching between Gore Vidal's Julian and Kim Stanley Robinson's The Years of Rice and Salt.
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Director of the Friends of Nalano PAC
    Attorney at Lawl
    "His lack of education is more than compensated for by his keenly developed moral bankruptcy." - Woody Allen

Finished Use of Weapons by Iain M Banks - wow bit of a shocker ending (although I'd guessed the end twist, but not the chair-thing!)

Now reading Excession by the same author
    Planetside2 / Firefall: Crustycuffs
    Mechwarrior Online / Blood Bowl: Mrchinchin25
    GuildWars2: Shiifty (Mesmer) Frank Tankborn (Warrior)
    Raptr: mrchinchin25 Steam: mrchinchin25 Origin: ​Crustycuffs