Page 20 of 114 FirstFirst ... 1018192021223070 ... LastLast
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Vexing Vision's Avatar
    Finally getting around to read Pratchett's "I Shall Wear Midnight". Not a big fan of the teen-approach (disliked Sourcery, too), but the writing is solid and entertaining enough.
    NETWORKING 101 SIGNATURE INCOMING
    Playing games with each other makes for the best business contacts, so feel free to add me on LinkedIn.
    You should also follow me on Twitter.

Sourcery wasn't one of the YA Discworld books, was it?
    A brave heart and a courteous tongue. They shall carry thee far through the jungle, manling.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Vexing Vision's Avatar
    No, Sourcery was a full Discworld book.

I just can't stand kid-protagonists anymore (with the sole exception of Alanna of Trebond, who is my eternal heroine).
    NETWORKING 101 SIGNATURE INCOMING
    Playing games with each other makes for the best business contacts, so feel free to add me on LinkedIn.
    You should also follow me on Twitter.

Oh I see. Either way, I liked Sourcery. I like Rincewind and I think I liked Nijel a lot too.

Can't remember what the last new (to me) book was I read with child character(s) being the bulk of the story. The His Dark Materials books, maybe?
    A brave heart and a courteous tongue. They shall carry thee far through the jungle, manling.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by Vexing Vision View Post
    Finally getting around to read Pratchett's "I Shall Wear Midnight". Not a big fan of the teen-approach (disliked Sourcery, too), but the writing is solid and entertaining enough.
    I absolutely love "I shall Wear Midnight" because of the teen approach. Once again subjectivity thwarts my view of a perfect world where everyone sees things as correctly as I do.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian View Post
    Sourcery wasn't one of the YA Discworld books, was it?
    I didn't know I Shall Wear Midnight was a young adult book until I looked it up. Beyond a lack of profanity he is remarkably unpatronising in his approach to younger readers.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    No, Sourcery was a full Discworld book.

I just can't stand kid-protagonists anymore (with the sole exception of Alanna of Trebond, who is my eternal heroine).
    Wednesday from Iron Sunrise and Vin from Mistborn are two of my favourites.

As much as it pains me to give up on a book, I have done so with Tinker Tailor. It's not that I don't think it's good and it's not even that I can't read slower books. Just something about it really isn't working for me, 200 or so pages in.

Onto Interesting Times, which I'll probably blast through.

Quote Originally Posted by Ian View Post
    As much as it pains me to give up on a book, I have done so with Tinker Tailor. It's not that I don't think it's good and it's not even that I can't read slower books. Just something about it really isn't working for me, 200 or so pages in.
    Did you make it far enough to meet Connie Sachs? I'm a bit of a Le Carre fan, but without wishing to descend into hyperbole, Connie Sachs is possibly the most ridiculous character in any book ever. Women have never been Le Carre's strong point...

I loved the "Song of the Lioness" books when I was younger. It brings back so many memories of those school holidays I spent reading books in Birmingham Central Library. Good times.

I'm reading the Earthsea Quartet at the moment and thoroughly enjoying it. The style of writing is different from nearly anything I've ever read and is sometimes confusing, but I like the world and the story.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus squirrel's Avatar
    Hey, mates, can any one suggest some "City of London" financial / economic novels? I have been reading some of those from Hong Kong and Japan (translated of course), and become addicted to it. I wonder if this is also a popular generic within western novels.

Obscure Node
    Just completed book 5 of song of ice and fire and while my mom now has the kindle reading sons and lovers, I am reading Icon on the paperback.

Quote Originally Posted by MD! View Post
    Did you make it far enough to meet Connie Sachs? I'm a bit of a Le Carre fan, but without wishing to descend into hyperbole, Connie Sachs is possibly the most ridiculous character in any book ever. Women have never been Le Carre's strong point...
    I did, yes. And she did seem pretty OTT based on the bit I read.

Network Hub
    Quote Originally Posted by The Mechanical Aggressor View Post
    I'm reading the Earthsea Quartet at the moment and thoroughly enjoying it. The style of writing is different from nearly anything I've ever read and is sometimes confusing, but I like the world and the story.
    Brace yourself for the fourth one, then...

I gave up on Earthsea Quartet halfway through (I think) the second book. Some interesting stuff there, just too much that wasn't. Kinda odd as I've enjoyed those other works of Le Guin's that I've read: The Lathe of Heaven, The Left Hand of Darkness and The Dispossessed. The latter was a significant formative work for me in fact.

I'm currently reading Frankenstein (gave up on Crime and Punishment, heathen that I am) and something Mary Shelley wrote in the preface struck a chord with me:

The event on which the interest of the story depends is exempt from the disadvantages of a mere tale of spectres or enchantment. It was recommended by the novelty of the situations which it develops; and, however impossible as a physical fact, affords a point of view to the imagination for the delineating of human passions more comprehensive and commanding than any which the ordinary relations of existing events can yield.
    Reading this what immediately crossed my mind was: "Buffy".
    Last edited by Rii; 15-12-2011 at 07:49 AM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Xercies's Avatar
    Seems a bit of a long winded thing to say "I made shit up, deal with it"

Network Hub
    Re-read "The Way of Kings". Really brilliant. Brandon Sanderson has come a long way since the Mistborn stuff (which to be honest was only average in my book). Such a shame the next book won't be out until late 2012- think he's finishing off the Wheel of Time series.

By the way, is it worth me trying to read the Wheel of Time? I've heard mixed reviews, but at 14 books thats some time investment... I'd hate through 6 books of slog before things got interesting.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Xercies's Avatar
    Hmm i wouldn't recommend it to be honest, the series has that aspect of "oh it seems good but I wish the writer wouldn't do this" Unfortunately this happens with every single book. I gave up on it when I realized the author hadn't finished it and I nearly caught up to the last one he wrote. I knew Brandon Sanderson was writing the new ones but to be honest I just never bothered and I just couldn't bring myself to re-read it since I kind of forgotten the story.

Just to give you a clue, I hated the 6th book where he was spending time on one character that did absolutely nothing and kept on complain all the time and then spent one chapter on the invasion of a key city. Also my god does he like to describe the world in lots and lots of detail.

As you can tell I wore off it very quickly.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by Vague-rant View Post
    Re-read "The Way of Kings". Really brilliant. Brandon Sanderson has come a long way since the Mistborn stuff (which to be honest was only average in my book). Such a shame the next book won't be out until late 2012- think he's finishing off the Wheel of Time series.

By the way, is it worth me trying to read the Wheel of Time? I've heard mixed reviews, but at 14 books thats some time investment... I'd hate through 6 books of slog before things got interesting.
    Way of Kings is great - I just found it a pity that there were so few characters I found personally engaging. I spent the entire book hoping that Shallan would turn up some more. Fortunately Kaladin eventually ceased being such a bore and his exchanges with Sylphrena were rather enjoyable, so the book generally got better as it went. Couldn't get into other-main-character at all. I know 'being a stuffybutt' was the big thing about that character but it just did nothing for me.

Network Hub
    Quote Originally Posted by Serenegoose View Post
    Way of Kings is great - I just found it a pity that there were so few characters I found personally engaging. I spent the entire book hoping that Shallan would turn up some more. Fortunately Kaladin eventually ceased being such a bore and his exchanges with Sylphrena were rather enjoyable, so the book generally got better as it went. Couldn't get into other-main-character at all. I know 'being a stuffybutt' was the big thing about that character but it just did nothing for me.
    Huh, I actually found Shallan the least engaging character. Preferred Kaladin by miles, but Lord Stuffybutt (I'm thinking Dallan/Dalin?) was tolerable and Shallan was the one that I occasionally skipped bits of on my first read.