Page 15 of 103 FirstFirst ... 513141516172565 ... LastLast
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Started reading 'Snuff' last night. I do enjoy Samuel Vimes.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Lukasz's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Rii View Post
    My Two Years in Russia by Emma Goldman: "An American Anarchist's Disillusionment, and the Betrayal of the Russian Revolution by Lenin's Soviet Union".
    sounds interesting...
    is it good?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Nalano's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Lukasz View Post
    sounds interesting...
    is it good?
    Yes. It speaks to the nigh-unbridgeable difference between American liberalism and Soviet communism, which speaks to the weakness of the wobblies' hopes.
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Director of the Friends of Nalano PAC
    Attorney at Lawl
    "His lack of education is more than compensated for by his keenly developed moral bankruptcy." - Woody Allen

Ploughing through A Game of Thrones. About 545 pages into it and very much enjoying it, but ye gods there's one character who's so stupid* they make my teeth each.

* As in the actual character is stupid, not that they're unrealistic or out of place or anything.
    A brave heart and a courteous tongue. They shall carry thee far through the jungle, manling.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus mrpier's Avatar
    I just finished Name of the wind by Patrick Rothfuss (Redfoot?). Enjoyable read all the way through.

I finished re-reading The Hobbit yesterday so i'm without a book atm.

Quote Originally Posted by mrchinchin25 View Post
    Currently reading Killing Rommel by Stephen Pressfield
    Killing Rommel has been.. killed

Quote Originally Posted by mrchinchin25 View Post
    Future projects - er too many at the moment but the shortlist -

- Malazan books, I'm up to Bonehunters (read once already but will need a re-read) and have got Reapers Gale ready to go on the shelf
    Bonehunters hunted down and read. I'm now 53% through Reapers Gale. Jeez these are big books aren't they?? I will complete the full Malazon saga - I will.

Bought one of the new Kindle things recently, and find this is really helping me blitz through these.

Current reading list - http://www.shelfari.com/o1515107436/shelf

Just started reading Ready Player One. It's full of 'nerd culture' references from the 1980's and surrounding years, and takes place primarily in a massive online virtual reality MMO. It's not terribly well written, and it's quite silly, but it's still a fun read.

Ploughing through A Game of Thrones. About 545 pages into it and very much enjoying it, but ye gods there's one character who's so stupid* they make my teeth each.
    Is it Joffery? I haven't hated a character so much since William Hamleigh in The Pillars of the Earth. I watched the TV series first then converted to the books. Can't believe I'd never considered the series sooner. Waiting for A Dance With Dragons to come out on paper back, actually it may be out already.

Right now I'm going through a "classical literature" phase, with Anna Karenina and to a lesser extent Don Quixote, both are surprisingly readable. I also like to dip into the Warhammer 40k Hourus Heresy series because stuff gets shot a lot.

guards! Guards!

frigging hilarious. I actually enjoy it even tough I found couple of other TP books boring.

Lesser Hivemind Node TailSwallower's Avatar
    Also reading A Game of Thrones. I watched the show, but still wanted to read the book before moving onto the second. Pleasantly surprised by how close they were able to keep the adaptation, and the changes I have picked up on seem like better choices than what was done in the book.
    weekendwarrio.rs - We've got more games than time...

Lesser Hivemind Node westyfield's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bracket View Post
    Is it Joffery? I haven't hated a character so much since William Hamleigh in The Pillars of the Earth.
    It's certain to be Eddard Stark. He's so stupid, "Stupid Ned Stark" is a meme. (Obviously don't look it up if you haven't finished A Game of Thrones, because it's spoileriffic.)

I'm just starting A Dance with Dragons really enjoying the series, i've devoured the first 4 in the last 3 months or so, but i'm worried after so much rapid reading i'll be waiting like 6 years for the next one.

I'm also looking forward to the final book of the Eragon series, i know they're immature and for teenagers and everything but i really like them. (or at least i used to)

It's certain to be Eddard Stark. He's so stupid
    Good point, wasn't aware of said meme, his heart's in the right place though.

I'm just starting A Dance with Dragons really enjoying the series, i've devoured the first 4 in the last 3 months or so, but i'm worried after so much rapid reading i'll be waiting like 6 years for the next one
    I'm pretty glad I didn't start reading them back in 1996. Hopefully there won't be such a long period between five and six.

@Bracket yea we can hope but they do seem to be getting farther apart and it says in my copy of feast for crows that he planned to release dance with dragons the next year in 2006 since he'd pretty much written it all already then decided to divide it into two books (north and south) since it was too big. I suppose he was busy with the TV series and the games and stuff?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Althea's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Cable View Post
    @Bracket yea we can hope but they do seem to be getting farther apart and it says in my copy of feast for crows that he planned to release dance with dragons the next year in 2006 since he'd pretty much written it all already then decided to divide it into two books (north and south) since it was too big. I suppose he was busy with the TV series and the games and stuff?
    No, A Dance With Dragons ended up growing and growing and growing. I believe he wasn't involved much (If at all) with the games, but on the show he was involved in the casting, wrote an episode and a couple of other things. But that's not five years worth of work, even if you consider him editing quite a number of anthologies and contributing to them.

Edit: This is the book I'm reading -
    Last edited by Althea; 02-11-2011 at 08:30 AM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Vexing Vision's Avatar
    Finished Trudy Canavan's "Black Mage"-trilogy two days ago.

The first two books are well-written if a bit one-dimensional on the characters. The third book tries to give all characters depth, and fails horribly by making me question if this had been written by the same author. Ugh.

I would love to read Tamora Pierce's Song of the Lioness again - my very first fantasy book as a kid -, but I can't find it anywhere near. I just remember really awesome characters and dialogues!
    My games-related Twitter: VexingVision

Currently playing: Hearthstone; Blood Bowl; Dominions 4
    Currently waiting for: Wildstar; Darkest Dungeon

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Althea's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Vexing Vision View Post
    Finished Trudy Canavan's "Black Mage"-trilogy two days ago.

The first two books are well-written if a bit one-dimensional on the characters. The third book tries to give all characters depth, and fails horribly by making me question if this had been written by the same author. Ugh.
    Yeah, the Black Magician trilogy starts off really well, gets even better, and then trips over and falls face-first into a pile of steaming shit. And then it crawls through that for another 400 pages.

ah this. Yeah... read that book ages ago, borrowed it from local library. I also found those books pretty weak.
    There is a prequel novel and a sequel trilogy. anyone read them?
    Last edited by Lukasz; 02-11-2011 at 11:15 AM.

I just finished reading David Weber's 'Honorverse' series again. All 16 novels. You can get the first book in the series, On Basilisk Station, for free as part of the Baen Free Library.

I think Baen Books is a pretty cool guy. eh sells DRM-free ebooks and doesn't afraid of anything.