Page 16 of 118 FirstFirst ... 614151617182666116 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Krans View Post
    I just finished reading David Weber's 'Honorverse' series again. All 16 novels. You can get the first book in the series, On Basilisk Station, for free as part of the Baen Free Library.

I think Baen Books is a pretty cool guy. eh sells DRM-free ebooks and doesn't afraid of anything.
    Baen even go a step more awesome, and will let you read the entire series for free: http://baencd.thefifthimperium.com/

(Avoid anything by John Ringo)
    Mumble :: Thread :: Click to Join

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Althea's Avatar
    Plus Honorverse is a bit bigger than just Weber's stuff about Honor Harrington. I've read the most recent one, A Beautiful Friendship.

Quote Originally Posted by Nullkigan View Post
    (Avoid anything by John Ringo)
    I disagree with this advice. For example, his latest series (beginning with Live Free or Die) is pretty good clean fun, although it can sometimes be hilarious for reasons that he maybe didn't intend. In general, as long as you allow for the fact that he's at the hard right edge of Republican, his books can be quite enjoyable.

You must also detest Michael Z. Williamson's novels.

I disagree with this advice. For example, his latest series (beginning with Live Free or Die) is pretty good clean fun, although it can sometimes be hilarious for reasons that he maybe didn't intend. In general, as long as you allow for the fact that he's at the hard right edge of Republican, his books can be quite enjoyable.

You must also detest Michael Z. Williamson's novels.
    Haven't read those, but I did suffer through close to the first half of Ghost, which is (or at least, was) the most prominently displayed amongst his series on the Fifth Imperium archives. "Oh John Ringo No!" became a meme because of that series. I can't say that all his books are like that, but I can warn people away from the ones I've encountered.

I'll admit: it was a bit disingenuous of me, especially considering I came out strongly against brand-based decisions in another thread.
    Mumble :: Thread :: Click to Join

Quote Originally Posted by UnravThreads View Post
    Plus Honorverse is a bit bigger than just Weber's stuff about Honor Harrington. I've read the most recent one, A Beautiful Friendship.
    Yeah, I read the ARC when it came out.

Weber is a coauthor on all the "extended universe" books and checks them all rigorously for canonicality (is that a word?), so I guess they count! I read a few of the short stories from the collections as part of this run, but didn't have the patience for some of the less well-written ones.

Have you read Grand Central Arena by Ryk Spoor? It's an excellent novel from one of the Baen authors who I consider "one to watch".

Quote Originally Posted by Nullkigan View Post
    Haven't read those, but I did suffer through close to the first half of Ghost, which is (or at least, was) the most prominently displayed amongst his series on the Fifth Imperium archives.
    You got further than me. The Ghost series is genuinely terrible.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Althea's Avatar
    Have you read Grand Central Arena by Ryk Spoor? It's an excellent novel from one of the Baen authors who I consider "one to watch".
    I haven't. I've got way too much to read as it is, so I'm not even going to look because temptation is a bitch.

I finished reading Dune a couple of days ago, and I'm now reading A Game of Thrones.

Quote Originally Posted by mrchinchin25 View Post
    Bought one of the new Kindle things recently, and find this is really helping me blitz through these.
    I'm waiting on the Kindle Touch, but annoyingly Amazon provides no indication as to when they're going to release it for shipping to Australia: 2 days after the US launch? 2 months? Never? Bah. I might just bite the bullet and order it via a service like PriceUSA.

Still, it's allowed me to STOP BUYING BOOKS for the moment and concentrate on getting through those I already have so that I'm ready for the electronic revolution when it arrives. Course there are exceptions, like Julian Go's just-released Patterns of Empire: The British and American Empires, 1688 to the Present which isn't available in e-book form.

As to what I'm actually reading just now: Dostoevsky's Crime and Punishment (ooo, err) and Mylene Farmer: The Single File. The latter is a graceless affair by an author writing in his second language, but the content is there and for readers like myself it holds the not-insignificant advantage over almost everything else that's been written on Mylene Farmer of being in English.
    Last edited by Rii; 02-11-2011 at 03:37 PM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Got my copy of Alloy of Law, 8 days before it's released here.

@Alex Bakke
    yay for dune, did you enjoy it?

@Rii
    how's Crime and Punishment? It's on my to read list, probably over this summer sometime

After I finished A Game of Thrones (very much enjoyed) I gave myself a couple of days off by re-reading Kick-Ass. Now it's onto Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy.
    A brave heart and a courteous tongue. They shall carry thee far through the jungle, manling.

Quote Originally Posted by Ian View Post
    Now it's onto Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy.
    I hope you enjoy it; I've come across a fair amount of criticism of Le Carré's writing style (turgid is a common word), but I enjoy it myself and I always find George Smiley to be a very real character. I suppose I should watch the film.

Crime and Punishment;one of those books I have already appreciated but enjoy that much. In fact, I think that describes my reaction to most of the (limited amount of) Russian literature I have read; Bulgakov's The Master and Margarita, Lermontov's A Hero of our Time. The only one I can remember actually wanting to finish for pleasure was Doctor Zhivago and that is probably because I knew the story from the film version.

As for me I have just started rereading Robin Hobb's Tawny Man Trilogy.

Just completed Erikson's Reapers Gale, and am taking a break from Malazan for a couple of books so I'm ploughing through Player of Games (Iain M Banks). Quite happy to be back in the Culture again!

Reapers Gale was pretty good, especially Beak and anything involving Trull. Really enjoyed the Bugg/Tehol and friends conversations (and Hellian!) too - some of it was seriously 'laugh out loud' material.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Just finished Snuff. Could have used a little more Vetinari. Good Vimes book, all things considered. I don't want to give the impression I didnt enjoy it, but I did feel that I was racing through it a little quicker than I wished just so that I could get to reading The Alloy of Law. Didn't make me laugh much but it felt very substantial. Can't help but get the impression that Discworld is getting a little bleaker. Not that it was without those moments before, but I Shall Wear Midnight and Snuff were just quite... cold, sometimes.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Xercies's Avatar
    Its probably where Terry Pratchett's head is at to be honest thinking about death a lot and his altzeimers, its no wonder he's gotten a bit bleaker.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus The JG Man's Avatar
    Just finished reading Asimov's Foundation. What a bloody good read! This sci-fi literature module I'm doing is so satisfying. Getting me back into reading and, for the most part, reading good stuff.