Page 17 of 103 FirstFirst ... 715161718192767 ... LastLast
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Althea's Avatar
    Stupid Ned Stark (Obvious spoilers)

Finished Enders Game yesterday. Really enjoyed the book and especially liked the ending. Dont think I will read the other parts of the Ender books as I heard they are quiet boring.

Next up: The Moon is a harsh Mistress by Robert E. Heinlein

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Lukasz's Avatar
    Reading Witches abroad

I tried to read TP books before but while Mort was alright it never gripped me and made me love the book. Colour of magic is very good and interesting but guards! guards! did the trick. can't get enough of his books at the moment.

Quote Originally Posted by mrchinchin25 View Post
    Just completed Erikson's Reapers Gale, and am taking a break from Malazan for a couple of books so I'm ploughing through Player of Games (Iain M Banks). Quite happy to be back in the Culture again!

Reapers Gale was pretty good, especially Beak and anything involving Trull. Really enjoyed the Bugg/Tehol and friends conversations (and Hellian!) too - some of it was seriously 'laugh out loud' material.
    Player of Games (Iain M Banks) completed - to be honest after reading Dance with Dragons and then 3 of the Malazan books, reading a 'puny' sized book like this meant it went down quickly.

Now reading Use of Weapons (Iain M Banks) to continue my Culture reading.

Any other suggestions on must-read Culture books? I've already done Look to Windward and Consider Phlebas (loved them both)
    Planetside2 / Firefall: Crustycuffs
    Mechwarrior Online / Blood Bowl: Mrchinchin25
    GuildWars2: Shiifty (Mesmer) Frank Tankborn (Warrior)
    Raptr: mrchinchin25 Steam: mrchinchin25 Origin: ​Crustycuffs

Quote Originally Posted by Herzog View Post
    Finished Enders Game yesterday. Really enjoyed the book and especially liked the ending. Dont think I will read the other parts of the Ender books as I heard they are quiet boring.
    Do give Ender's Shadow a try; it's almost exactly like Ender's Game (and almost as well-received, too!)

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by mrchinchin25 View Post
    Player of Games (Iain M Banks) completed - to be honest after reading Dance with Dragons and then 3 of the Malazan books, reading a 'puny' sized book like this meant it went down quickly.

Now reading Use of Weapons (Iain M Banks) to continue my Culture reading.

Any other suggestions on must-read Culture books? I've already done Look to Windward and Consider Phlebas (loved them both)
    I love Excession, Inversions, and (perhaps a little controversially) Matter and Surface Detail. Many people think he'd gone a bit off the boil with the more recent efforts but it's simply not an opinion I hold.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Xercies's Avatar
    Matter is a bit boring, it just seems to be This woman is on another spaceship, this guy is on another spaceship, wait until they meet. Rubbish ending that doesn't really make much sense.

Excession is an excellent novel -- one of Banks' best, in my opinion.

I quite enjoyed the rest of the original Ender series, but found the Ender's Shadow novels incredibly tedious. Different strokes for different folks?

I'm currently re-reading City of Golden Shadow by Tad Williams.

This discussion of OSC gives me a sad.

I'm semi-half-not-quite reading Night Watch by Sir Pratchett. It's doing absolutely nothing for me.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Lukasz's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by UnravThreads View Post
    This discussion of OSC gives me a sad.

I'm semi-half-not-quite reading Night Watch by Sir Pratchett. It's doing absolutely nothing for me.
    just this one or any of TP books?

cause I heard Night Watch is actually pretty good (i'm yet to read it)

Quote Originally Posted by Lukasz View Post
    just this one or any of TP books?

cause I heard Night Watch is actually pretty good (i'm yet to read it)
    Just one. It's Discworld, but it's part of the City Watch sub-series.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Vexing Vision's Avatar
    The only Discworld-book I really disliked was and still is Jingo.

Can't wait until Snuff is out on paperback, I have no place for a hardcover book.

Currently about to finish Elantris by Brandon Sanderson, who's guest-writing of Wheel Of Time I really enjoyed. Elantris, however, not so much - lots of pretend-depths characters, the good guys always win by being smarter than everyone else, and very, very predictable.

I seriously need some recommendation for really good fantasy books. I know all the big sellers and most of the smaller ones. Devoured each book by Robin Hobbs for example. Grew up with Feist and Holbein, I know the Mythos-Alphabet and while I never really liked it, I do know all the major characters around the mystical Dragon Lance. One new author I really, really love is Joe Abercrombie, who writes the perfect flawed heroic characters to identify with.

Recommend me something along the lines of Abercrombie/Hobbs/Martin, and I'll be grateful for a week until I'm done with the books. (Long public transport commute. ;))
    My games-related Twitter: VexingVision

Currently playing: Hearthstone; Blood Bowl; Dominions 4
    Currently waiting for: Wildstar; Darkest Dungeon

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Kelron's Avatar
    Try reading something by KJ Parker. She writes low fantasy settings with interesting characters, the stories are generally tragic and feature anti-heroes. I'd recommend starting with The Company, she wrote 3 trilogies beforehand that are certainly memorable and offer something different to standard fantasy, but her writing is improving with every novel and The Company is a standalone story.

Quote Originally Posted by Kelron View Post
    Try reading something by KJ Parker. She writes low fantasy settings with interesting characters, the stories are generally tragic and feature anti-heroes. I'd recommend starting with The Company, she wrote 3 trilogies beforehand that are certainly memorable and offer something different to standard fantasy, but her writing is improving with every novel and The Company is a standalone story.
    KJ Parker isn't known to be a she. Or a he. Or anything ;)

They are meant to be very good, though.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Vexing Vision's Avatar
    Thanks! That sounds exactly what I was looking for, and that author completely passed me by, too.
    My games-related Twitter: VexingVision

Currently playing: Hearthstone; Blood Bowl; Dominions 4
    Currently waiting for: Wildstar; Darkest Dungeon

Quote Originally Posted by UnravThreads View Post
    KJ Parker isn't known to be a she. Or a he. Or anything ;)

They are meant to be very good, though.
    I've seen people refer to him/her/it as female, so that's what I'm going with. Doesn't really matter, does it?

I've seen people refer to him/her/it as female, so that's what I'm going with. Doesn't really matter, does it?
    Obviously it does to the author.

If it mattered to the author, wouldn't s/he correct people?

I'm not familiar with the author but think it's a bit much to expect people to write or 'he or she' or 'his or her' each and every time those circumstances arise. If indeed she has yet to offer any guidance on the matter, I think he's pretty much stuck with whatever she's given.

Network Hub
    Anyone read Stephen King's 11.22.63 yet? I haven't bought it yet, though I am tempted.