Page 2 of 113 FirstFirst 12341252102 ... LastLast
    In addition to 'Anarchism and Other Essays' by Emma Goldman and 'The Concorde Story' (7th ed.) by Christopher Orlebar, I'm still working my through the tales of Edgar Allen Poe. Of his stories I've read thus far my favourites are:

'The Unparalleled Adventure of One Hans Pfaall' (to the moon in a hot air balloon!)

'The Thousand-and-Second Tale of Scheherazade' (by which I was necessarily also introduced to the delightful framing tale of 'Arabian Nights')

'The Murders in the Rue Morgue' (the absurd explanation for the crime presented in this, the 'birth of the detective genre', caught me quite by surprise and renders the tale forever memorable)

'The Purloined Letter'

'The Fall of the House of Usher'

'The Black Cat'

'The Island of the Fay' (a rare and beautiful written expression of an apparent - but only, of course, apparent - stream of whimsical consciousness)

'The System of Doctor Tarr and Professor Fether' (is this the origin of the phrase 'the lunatics are running the asylum'?)

'How to Write a Blackwood Article' and 'A Predicament' (ah, humour, something I'd not expected from Poe. I'm not sure I'll ever forget the name, manner or fate of one Miss Psyche Zenobia.)

'The Business Man' (I like to think of this as a wry commentary on American values)

'Mellonta Tauta' (one-thousand years into the future and still we use hot-air balloons! Also I am indebted to Mr. Poe for his delightful characterisation herein of induction and deduction as respectively the methods of the Hog and the Ram)
    Last edited by Rii; 03-06-2011 at 12:28 PM.

I'm reading Flat Earth News by Nick Davies, a horrifying look at the sordid state of journalism. Next up is Treasure Islands: Tax Havens and the Men who Stole the World by Nicholas Shaxson, a horrifying look at the how the money-men are fucking the world. After that I may have to read some books for children in order to lighten my mood.

Right now im reading The Godfather and Catch22. The first Witcher novel should arrive soon. :)

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Currently reading Black Man by Richard Morgan, then I'll be getting through the Ambassador's Mission and The Rogue by Trudi Canavan which should tide me until Rule 34 by Charles Stross comes out - then I'm just figuring out what to do with my reading time til November and The Alloy of Law by Brandon Sanderson comes out.

Me, an SF&F geek? Never!

Obscure Node
    Currently rereading the Foundation series. Good fun!

I just finished surface detail! That was highly enjoyable. Not sure what to read next. I have a bunch of books on my kindle I need to get through, I was getting through last of the mohicans before I finally got my paws on surface detail.

Obscure Node
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian View Post
    @ Ace Jon: Are the Tiffany Aching ones good for all ages, then? I've not got to them in the order of Discworld books anyway but I was a bit unsure because of them being branded as targeted at "Young Adult".
    Yeah, they're great. The language is obviously somewhat simplified and they're not as long or complex as some of his stories, but it's still Pratchett. Mmmm Pratchett.

i'm also going through the 'song of fire and ice' series by george r.r. martin, and finding it hard to enjoy other fantasy books as much after reading them... enjoying the series on ye olde box as well...

and the god delusion by richard dawkins is always on standby...

Quote Originally Posted by Ace Jon View Post
    Yeah, they're great. The language is obviously somewhat simplified and they're not as long or complex as some of his stories, but it's still Pratchett. Mmmm Pratchett.
    Yeah, Tiffany's great, especially since he dumped the Witches' series and Tiffany's just the same but from a different angle. Still, Weatherwax is present so these books cannot be bad.

Now I'm tryin' to get my hands on I Shall Wear Midnight but it's damn impossible in my country to buy this one and I don't want to pay millions for shipping while buying just one book.

Activated Node
    I'm reading The Player of Games by Iain M. Banks for the second time. The first time was on the recommendation of Mr Gillen of this parish. I also have various other bits and pieces that I haven't paid much attention to recently unfortunately. The new Oliver Sacks book is one of them.

Obscure Node
    Oh no, I had the old thread bookmarked for some future reading! Guess I will have to go there and scavenge with the quickness! Currently, I am reading (plug!) "This Gaming Life" by some Jim Rosiecheeks fella. Friend from the GOG forums gifted to me in trade for Frozen Synapse and so far I am loving it! The book, that is. Game is pretty amazing too but that's neither here or there. The first part of the book is really getting to me. <3 Jim.

In the Oxfam bookshop this morning I bought a copy of a Baen novel by John Dalmas entitled "The White Regiment". I do not yet have any idea whether it's any good, or indeed what it's about. I will report back soon!

Obscure Node
    The Third Reich: A New History by Richard Burleigh.

Shadowline by Glen Cook

So far it is pretty good, then again I haven't read anything that wasn't enjoyable by Cook, well except interviews :P. Standouts are Tower of Fear, The Black Company, The Dragon Never Sleeps, and Passage at Arms

I have not read a book for so long it is criminal. I mostly read in bed, and lately I've just been doing puzzles instead. However, this week I checked out Galen Rowell's Mountain Light, a photography book/journal, from the library and it's full of swell anecdotes.

Before that I'd been bingeing on Iain M Banks, and needed a break. I'll probably go back and try read the second half of the Culture books soon.

Lesser Hivemind Node squareking's Avatar
    Finished Abhorsen by Garth Nix last night. Pretty interesting take on necromancy, magic and a slight brush against politics. Interesting trilogy, though this one felt rushed.

Going to start White Noise by Don DeLillo tonight.

Just started the 4th Book in the Horus Heresy line of 40k stuff.

The Flight of the Eisenstein - James Swallow

Quote Originally Posted by Kelron View Post
    Dune Messiah.

Just finished Don Quixote which was an interesting read, took me a long time to get through it. It made me wish I was fluent enough to read it in Spanish, the translation was good but a lot of the wordplay simply doesn't work in English.
    Dude. If you've read Don Quixote, you've got to read Monsignor Quixote by Graham Greene. It's a well-known and well-written parody/pastiche/whatever.

Rereading Atlas Shrugged by Ayn Rand.

Aircraft Systems by Moir and Seabridge. It's great, if you are into acronyms!